Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

stainless steel water bottle blues

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

stainless steel water bottle blues

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-11, 01:31 PM
shyonelung

Bikes: 1998 Amp Research dual suspension mtn bike; 2012 Ridley Orion full Carbon (Ultegra)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I really like Sigg bottles though I use Kleen as well. This one is not my cycle bottle (it's too big) but it's a great every day carry around bottle as it holds a ton of water and is easy to drink from (and you can't see the entire art on it but the last leg of "evolution" on it is a cyclist ). I have a couple of smaller ones that I use on my bike -- the Kleen Kanteen cap that AlmostGreenGuy uses is the best I've found for cycling. And I've dropped my bottle (more than once). Got the dents to prove it but it's really no worse for wear. PopSugar, one of those group buying sites, has a special today for Sigg bottles -- spend $15 to get $30 worth of Sigg. You can check it out here. I actually bought this Sigg at The Clymb site after seeing it on an ad here. It was $10 and I'm very, very happy with the value.

Old 04-19-11, 02:31 PM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Very happy with the Kleen Kanteen bottles. No bad taste and they go well with the stainless bottle cages and silver accents on the bike. The downside is that mine are not insulated and they do heat up faster. Although, in Texas heat, an ice cold plastic bottle is hot in a matter of minutes anyway, so its not that big of a difference.
Old 04-19-11, 07:38 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I saw this bottle at Target tonight. Very nice!!!! It looks like it will fit in a bottle cage, and holds a whopping 24 ounces of water. It's vacuum insulated, so it should keep water cold for a long, long time. The cap looks a bit complicated to clean thoroughly, so I would only use it for water, but the one-handed operation is excellent. Spill-proof too. Just kind of expensive.

https://www.target.com/Thermax-Insula.../dp/B003U55EKI
Old 04-20-11, 06:45 PM
Koa C.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
check this one out!https://www.nau.com/mens/categories/a...en-901U01.html I thought it looked good and it should fit on a bike water bottle mount.
Old 04-24-11, 12:45 PM
thorsteno
wannabe

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like Sigg make some stainless bottles including a flask for you drinking cyclists. Not sure if they are manufactured in China.
https://mysigg.com/store/sigg-steelwo...terbottle.html
Old 04-24-11, 12:50 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by thorsteno
They look like nice bottles to me (Kleen Kanteen) but I would like to find a US made one no matter what KK's website says.
It has been a great bottle and please let me know if you find a company that makes something like this on this side of the pond... I usually prefer to buy used and recycle pretty much everything but every once in a while there is something you need that you cannot get from a local supplier.
Old 04-24-11, 04:05 PM
AlmostGreenGuy

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Looks like Sigg make some stainless bottles including a flask for you drinking cyclists. Not sure if they are manufactured in China.
https://mysigg.com/store/sigg-steelwo...terbottle.html
Steelworks are manufactured in China also. As far as i know, there is not a single steel water bottle made outside of China. China has the entire market at this point.
Old 04-24-11, 07:10 PM
clasher

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 103 Posts
I scored 2 nice stainless klean kanteens at a thrift store. They both seem brand new and had been custom labelled for random events, so that was a sweet score. I like them and the 500mL one fits nicely on my underside bottle cage without hitting the fender.
Old 04-24-11, 07:37 PM
vaultbrad

Bikes: They have two wheels!

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 7 Posts
Ive been abusing one of these this year and it's been great. Great insulation power. If I fill it with hot mate/tea/coffee in the morning it will still be warm to hot in the afternoon. Even longer if filled with coldness. I recommend.

Old 04-24-11, 08:18 PM
AlmostGreenGuy

I bought one of those 24 ounce Hydro Flasks last week. I am very impressed thus far. The small opening isn't easy for filling, but I can live with that since the opening size is awesome for coffee sipping. The thermal capabilities seem to be a little better than my insulated Klean Kanteen, and the 24oz size is the biggest I've seen for an insulated bottle that fits in a bike cage.

The opening on this bottle is truly awesome. Much more comfortable to sip from than any other bottle I've ever tried.

I have the sport cap on order.

Old 04-25-11, 01:01 PM
thorsteno
wannabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You're right Almost Green Guy. I just received a reply from Sigg today.

SIGG Steelworks. Our 18/8 Sanitary food grade stainless steel collection of insulated bottles and stainless single walled bottles. Stainless steel bottles on this page and in this category are responsibly manufactured in China by SIGG.

Bummer. I'm beginning to accept I will have to buy a foreign(Chinese) made bottle if I want stainless. I don't have anything against China btw just prefer to buy as local as possible.
Old 04-25-11, 01:03 PM
thorsteno
wannabe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did find one made in India fyi.
https://wiggys.com/moreinfo.cfm?Produ...TOKEN=32381519
Old 04-25-11, 07:03 PM
AlmostGreenGuy

And made of an unknown type of stainless steel. I never buy steel water bottles without knowing the type of steel they are made from. Only some stainless steels are actually "food grade". Others rust rather easily. Then there is the quality of the seams that must be looked at. If the seams are weak, the bottle can develop leaks. Only the best seams (non-insulated bottles only) can hold up to putting water filled bottle into the freezer.

I know exactly what you mean about buying locally if possible. I've asked the question to a couple of stainless steel bottle manufacturers. They both tried to have their bottles made in the USA. The research always showed that the bottles would have to sell for approximately $50.00 each if made in the USA. The overhead was too much to successfully make a viable business. There just aren't enough Americans willing to pay the very high premium for goods USA manufactured.
Old 04-25-11, 07:05 PM
Grim

Bikes: Cannondale T700s and a few others

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have several Stainless bottles and no complaints. Maybe you have a lot of minerals in your water and they are reacting with the steel.

I have some "Smart Source stainless I bought at Costco that are Identical to the Kleen that came with a neoprene jacket. That jacket also fits on my Thermos commuter mug and makes it fit the water bottle cages rattle free. One handed operation and it keeps my coffee hot for about 6 hours. Havent tried it for keeping water cold but I'm sure that will happen soon.
No complaints out of the Polar insulated bottles I also have.
Old 04-25-11, 07:24 PM
Guitarrick

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shouldberiding
Never noticed a plastic taste with my Polar bottles.
+1. Dishwasher and freezer safe too.

edit: BPA free and wide mouth for ice cubes too. No I don't work for Polar, I just like their bottles
Old 07-24-18, 06:53 AM
crystonwaston33

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I am also using stainless steel bottle since last 5 years and never faced any issue like this. Have you checked your water? May be water causing this issue or due to some other reason.
Old 07-24-18, 07:53 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Originally Posted by crystonwaston33
Well, I am also using stainless steel bottle since last 5 years and never faced any issue like this. Have you checked your water? May be water causing this issue or due to some other reason.
the last post in this thread was 2011. Five years ago was 2013...
Old 07-27-18, 04:48 PM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts
I am aware that this thread is more than seven years old, but for anyone else with this problem, try dropping two denture cleaning tablets (Efferdent, et al) into your steel bottle and then fill it halfway with water. Shake it, let it foam up, and leave it overnight. Rinse a few times in the morning and then see if the bad taste comes back next time you take it on a ride.

PS: A few months ago, I contacted the forum moderators to ask why we can no longer see the date of the original post when we look at an item in the thread list. They replied that they were aware of this issue and "working on it." Meanwhile, I catch myself every day replying to questions asked years and years ago.

Last edited by Papa Tom; 07-27-18 at 04:53 PM.