Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Specialized Diverge 2018 as a road bike?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Specialized Diverge 2018 as a road bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 01:32 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Champlaincycler
I'll be the first to admit that I'm a slower climber on the Diverge. It doesn't feel slower as it rolls so well but I know it is. I do live in the mountains and I have 38's on it. If I cared,or if I was a lot slower, I'd put thinner tires on but I like the versatility with present setup.

I'm assuming the tyre compound and tread pattern of your 38's is different to that on thinner tyres you have previously tried on a road bike, so I am wondering how much that is slowing you down, versus just wider and/or heavier tyres?
Old 11-08-17, 11:13 AM
bikebreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by scotjonscot
28mm tires would make the already low bottom bracket dangerously low

I doubt it, for a good while I had 21mm tires on my road bike with 72.5mm BB drop. No issues, and I did some light off roading and hopped curbs.
That's right about the same BB height off ground as a Diverge with 80 drop and 28mm tires would get
Old 11-08-17, 11:25 AM
scotjonscot

Bikes: some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bikebreak
I doubt it, for a good while I had 21mm tires on my road bike with 72.5mm BB drop. No issues, and I did some light off roading and hopped curbs.
That's right about the same BB height off ground as a Diverge with 80 drop and 28mm tires would get
With 28’s it’d be a bb height of 255mm. A tad too low for my taste, but to each his own.
Old 11-09-17, 06:33 AM
ATPAH

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikebreak
Actually, it's an 85mm BB drop, but that's not unheard of for road riding.
Old 11-10-17, 10:37 AM
ruppster
Bike Builder

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’ve not tried a Diverge, but 32c GravelKing SKs fit fine on a 2017 Roubaix just for a reference point. Mine measure 32.5 on the stock R470db wheels. It looks like a 33 could fit, but there would be very little clearance for mud, especially around the front derailleur arm. Depending on your gravel roads, that could be enough tire.
Old 11-19-17, 06:31 PM
scotch
purity of essence

Bikes: 2018 Giant Trance 2, 2019 Trek Farley 7, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
It seems the new 2018 Diverge has good credentials as a gravel / adventure bike.

But what's it like as a road bike? If you were to put on some lighter road wheels with 28mm tires would it compete favourably with dedicated endurance bikes, such as the Roubaix?

I know that it's a bit heavier, and the Future Shock is set up for off-road use, but I'd be interesting in hearing how well it works on pavement.

Thanks!

John
I rode a 2015 carbon comp for a few months last year. It had whatever tires came with it...32s maybe? Anyway, that rig was so fast, so stiff and so agile, I could pretty much dust most people on my weekly group ride. Honestly, those bikes are really nice, for road or off road. You can't really go wrong.
Old 11-29-17, 12:26 PM
solbey11

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was kicking around the idea of selling my 2013 Allez Race DSW and getting a 2018 Roubaix base with Tiagra. But the more I look at the Diverge, I'm wondering if that's ideally what I'm looking for. My current thoughts are buying an absolute base model E5 and swapping my Sram Red 22 components over along with my saddle,seatpost,stem,handlebars. And with the base model costing $1000 MSRP, I could probably sell my Allez DSW frame and wheelset and come close to breaking even. Does that make sense to buy a brand new bike and hang all of my old components on it? It would definitely be an upgrade over the stock 8 speed Sora components.

I know the Diverge isn't a race bike but I'm not a racer. I'm finding more gravel/dirt/broken asphalt roads around my home and they aren't being kind to my Allez. Comfort isn't an issue but my 25mm tires aren't holding up well to the road surface. So I don't think losing the FutureShock will be an issue and without it, I may be able to dial my current fit in a little better without it as well.

I also like to use a Kinetic RoadMachine trainer from time to time when I don't have time to just go out and I've read a lot of comments saying it's safe to ride a carbon frame on a trainer, but Specialized doesn't recommend it. So the E5 frame will take the worry out of that issue. And also with the E5 frame, I will be able to pull my son's tag-along with it.

I will still primarily use the bike on the road but after reading Lazyass's comments about not being any slower on his Diverge makes me feel more comfortable about changing bikes.

Can anybody chime in and tell me if this is a stupid idea or not?

Last edited by solbey11; 11-29-17 at 12:37 PM.
Old 11-29-17, 10:10 PM
RideMyLeMond

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1980 Raleigh Gran Sport (frame only), 1989 Diamondback Apex, 1997 LeMond Zurich, 2018 Specialized Diverge running R8020 Ultegra.

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I did a demo ride of about 25 miles on a 2018 Diverge Carbon Comp and really like the ride. The FS worked well and didn't get in the way when standing to climb or to sprint from a dead stop. The riding position is a little more relaxed than I'm used to, but as I'm on the down-hill slope after 60, I may just need this. I was originally looking @ the Carbon Comp, except it is set up with the 105 shifters/brakes and RD/FD. My sights were set on the Ultegra level of components, so I may opt for just the Carbon Sport and upgrade the these items plus the wheelset and the Bars and seatpost. Anybody have any ideas/input on which model; Comp or Sport would be better as a starting point for just wanting the frame-set and crank-set and go upscale from there? I'm thinking that I'd still top out above the Carbon Comp price, but have Ultegra and better wheels for not too much more, like ~3200 to 3500-ish. I'm thinking that it would be better to start from 2,100 than 3,000 to replace so much of the OEM setup. My other thought was just settle on the Carbon Comp learn to like the 105 setup.
Old 10-06-18, 08:06 AM
brittex

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by johngwheeler
It seems the new 2018 Diverge has good credentials as a gravel / adventure bike.

But what's it like as a road bike? If you were to put on some lighter road wheels with 28mm tires would it compete favourably with dedicated endurance bikes, such as the Roubaix?

I know that it's a bit heavier, and the Future Shock is set up for off-road use, but I'd be interesting in hearing how well it works on pavement.

Thanks!

John
Dear John, I just saw your post from about a year ago. I am also trying to decide between the 2019 Warbird and Diverge. The diverge has some grommets on the front fork in the 2019 model that will allow some light backpacking for longer rides. There are no shock absorbers. The diverge has the new shock (it came out in 2018\7 or 2018). I am wondering what decision you made, and any feedback will be helpful. I also will use this 60% of the time on the road. Thinking of Shimano 105 with two chainrings in front (unless one is recommended with another groupo). Please advise.