Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Love the frame, don’t love the brand

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-19, 09:46 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 93 Times in 51 Posts

I recently found a frame that fits what I need pretty perfectly: lightweight tubing, outstanding quality and craftsmanship, and, I hope, ideal for long brevets. It should fit me perfectly. The seller offered a fair price and I agreed to buy it.

My only issue with it: it’s a Rivendell.

I know, it’s an iconic brand whose bikes have a great reputation. The frame itself is gorgeous, with custom lugs etc. But I’m just not all that into their brand. Seems very much a statement to own a Rivendell, and I don’t care about hatchets or pine tar soap or whether Grant thinks I should do squats. I just want to ride my bike, and I want my bike to be a bike—not a symbol of my adherence to some vision of the world or cycling industry.

So my goal is to build up my Riv frame so that it looks good, but not much like a Rivendell—i.e. no twine, no handlebars a foot above the saddle. It’ll be tough, because I’ll be putting on a brooks and bar end shifters.

Build ideas, suggestions, and visual inspiration appreciated—as are people who think I’m being silly and want to argue.

Edit: please don’t construe this as anti-Rivendell! I wanna stress that I think this is an awesome frame and never would I be able to ride something this nice if not for this opportunity.

Last edited by samkl; 03-30-19 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-29-19, 10:09 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by samkl
I recently found a frame that fits what I need pretty perfectly: lightweight tubing, outstanding quality and craftsmanship, and, I hope, ideal for long brevets. It should fit me perfectly. The seller offered a fair price and I agreed to buy it.

My only issue with it: it’s a Rivendell.

I know, it’s an iconic brand whose bikes have a great reputation. The frame itself is gorgeous, with custom lugs etc. But I’m just not all that into their brand. Seems very much a statement to own a Rivendell, and I don’t care about hatchets or pine tar soap or whether Grant thinks I should do squats. I just want to ride my bike, and I want my bike to be a bike—not a symbol of my adherence to some vision of the world or cycling industry.

So my goal is to build up my Riv frame so that it looks good, but not much like a Rivendell—i.e. no twine, no handlebars a foot above the saddle. It’ll be tough, because I’ll be putting on a brooks and bar end shifters.

Build ideas, suggestions, and visual inspiration appreciated—as are people who think I’m being silly and want to argue.
Go against the grain and build it up with black wall tires and index shifting.
the self conscious part are the white stay bridges.
Old 03-29-19, 10:11 PM
nesteel 

Bikes: See the signature....

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 114 Posts
If I don't like the brand, the bike won't live at my house. I don't care how well if fits/is built. And yes, riding a Riv will put you in a certain category and there's not a thing you can do about it no matter how you build it.
Old 03-29-19, 10:14 PM
samkl 

Bikes: 2004 Trek 520, resto-modded 1987 Cannondale SR400, rando-modded 1976 AD Vent Noir; 2019 Wabi Classic; 1989? Burley Duet

Originally Posted by nesteel
If I don't like the brand, the bike won't live at my house. I don't care how well if fits/is built. And yes, riding a Riv will put you in a certain category and there's not a thing you can do about it no matter how you build it.
Quite a strong statement! What’s the category it puts me in exactly?
Old 03-29-19, 10:15 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Drink $1 McDonald's coffee, keep your nose down, and smile at total strangers.
Practice saying "it's just a bike," and wear T-shirts. Tell people you went to "state."

Wipes you right out of that Rivendell crowd.

If they still think you belong, get a MAGA hat. That'll definitely do it.
Old 03-29-19, 10:20 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 571 Posts
you can always repaint
corn on the cog 

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Int'l, ~1973 Motobecane Grand Record, ~1980 Fuji S-12-S, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I’m pretty sure Grant P would be thrilled to hear you just want to ride your bike because you think it’s a great bike. After all, he designs frames, not hatchets. So just set it up how you want to and ride it, “brand” be damned!
samkl 

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
Practice saying "it's just a bike," and wear T-shirts. Tell people you went to "state."

Ha. Can’t say I’m willing to do ALL of those things. Maybe a roll of black electrical tape is the real answer.

Last edited by samkl; 03-29-19 at 10:30 PM.
Old 03-29-19, 10:25 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 342 Post(s)
Liked 300 Times in 146 Posts
Put disc brakes on it.
Old 03-29-19, 10:25 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts
A classic tale, love the girl but not care so much for her family... Do what's best for you, to heck with what people think! Looks like a pretty sweet frame for sure.
Old 03-29-19, 10:29 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by RobbieTunes

Haha-
Or wear a MEGA hat while riding an Asian made carbon Raleigh and you 'breaxit'.

Old 03-29-19, 10:38 PM
corn on the cog 

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh Int'l, ~1973 Motobecane Grand Record, ~1980 Fuji S-12-S, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I seriously don’t see where all you folks are getting these ideas about “the Rivendell crowd.” The people I see riding Rivs are the same type of people who ride Salsas, or 80s Japanese tourers, or 70s English sport-tourers, or Velo-Orangefied Surlys. They like steel, lugs, versatility, and a dash of style. Hey guess what, they’re us! The C&V crowd. If you all want to get all high-schoolish about who are the nerds and who are the cool kids go for it, but in my opinion you’re projecting way more into the brand than the people I see actually riding these bikes for miles upon miles.
Old 03-29-19, 10:41 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Bumper sticker: "My other bike is a Cinelli".
Old 03-29-19, 10:56 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
Put super skinny tires on a set of mag wheels, and get a carbon fork. Only wear spandex ....everyone will fear you.
Old 03-29-19, 11:19 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4678 Post(s)
Liked 5,795 Times in 2,281 Posts
You could always just sell it.

How much you want for it?
Old 03-29-19, 11:33 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
No one will notice.
Old 03-29-19, 11:46 PM
bikingshearer 
Crawlin' up, flyin' down

Bikes: 1967 Paramount; 1982-ish Ron Cooper; 1978 Eisentraut "A"; two mid-1960s Cinelli Speciale Corsas; and others in various stages of non-rideability.

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 1025 Post(s)
Liked 2,525 Times in 1,055 Posts
Originally Posted by Chr0m0ly
No one will notice.
Or care. Grant Petersen certainly won't.

Yeah, he has his own (decidedly quirky) views on bikes and things, but what gets lost is what his core message is: ride what you like because you like it, not because someone else says it's cool.

Look, my favorite ride is a c.1965 Cinelli SC with a Campy 10sp triple drivetrain, Tektro dual pivot brakes, and SPDs. I love it. It is the best riding bike I have ever been on. That is far and away the most important thing.

Trick that Riv out the way you want and brevet the hell out of it. It was meant to be ridden. That's what you want to do. Frankly, I think Grant would be delighted.

And if not, who cares?
Old 03-30-19, 12:11 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Just put proper VO or Honjo fenders on it paying attention to a proper fenderline instead of zip-tying plastic ones on and you'll be all set. Everybody who cares enough to judge you knows the REAL Rivendell way is to have a loosely-attached $35 pair SKS fenders rattling against a $1500 Joe Bell paintjob. It's on Grant's blog and in the old RR issues enough anyway!

In all seriousness it will make an excellent rando bike. Rerake the fork for low trail (better for a handlebar bag but not strictly necessary by any means) and you'll really not look Riv-ish (I hear Grant refuses to do low-trail geometry even on custom bikes).

Last edited by scarlson; 03-30-19 at 12:15 AM.
Old 03-30-19, 01:34 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Steering wheel.
Banana seat.
Sissy bar.
IGH. With belt drive.
Stick shifter on the top tube.
Ah-ooga horn, with chromed bullet eye-gouge button activator in the center of the steering wheel.
Feet shaped pedals.

That'll teach those danged hippies.
Old 03-30-19, 02:31 AM
nervgs

Bikes: Giant Defy Composite 0, Bridgestone RB-1 (and a spare unbuilt frame), Masi Gran Criterium & Prestige, Specialzed (3Rensho) Allez, KTM Strada SL aero (frame + fork), Freschi Super Criterium (frame + fork), a 50-60's era Follis (frame + fork)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a sort of similar dilemma......

I'd normally keep this to myself as it's not professional to talk like this, but I have to say something.

Back a few years ago I worked for KTM B ike Industries, or actually the company that held of the distribution rights to the KTM's bikes out here in the US. I lasted about 3 months there. They were having growing pains despite being here for a year or so (I discovered whomever last held the rights a couple of years before didn't do a great job or something), but that was no excuse for how they were pricing product (it was waaaaay too much for a brand not known to cyclists despite their motorsport background and being everywhere around Europe), and how they basically lied to their dealers and customers about being "made in Austria" as I was even led to believe......

Personal thoughts & feelings aside about management (or lack thereof) and how I was treated my last 2 or so weeks there, I was told from the first day that the bikes were actually made in Austria to the point where the marketing manager said he personally visited the factory, saw their production line, and even had a custom sized bike there (he was a sponsored racer), and not from Taiwan and/or China like most modern bikes nowadays. I have *almost* no problem with bikes made there (I own a carbon Giant) as long as companies are up front about it (Specialized seems proud about it), but this was blatant lying by the manager to employees that worked there, customers and dealers by saying the bikes were 100% made in Austria. Hell, I remember the sales reps constantly telling potential dealers and customers that the "bikes were not made in Taiwan or China like the other companies" and the few that signed on during my short time there were very proud of that fact....

I guess legally speaking, KTM is to fine advertise the bikes were made in Austria due to them being engineered, painted, and assembled there, but hard production is still handled in Taiwan and China depending on which of their frames we are talking about. It still doesn't make it right by telling dealers and customers that the bikes were 100% made in Austria and no Asian hands ever touched production of them..... My final weeks there I was trying to write some of their advertising material and was stumbled when I couldn't find any marketing jargon or actual type of carbon they used - I was told it was some "exotic Austrian sourced and made carbon fiber" or some kind of crap, which was funny because I can count on one hand the amount of carbon producers in the world. I don't know why I wasn't just told it was most likely Toray, or "I don't know." I asked the guys in the Florida office (where they did everything there including communication to Austria) and they said they would get back to me, but never did. This is what ultimately started my downhill opinion of the company I worked for and I started to do some digging if I was working for some good people or not.

I remember about a month or so after I started working there I was kind of interested in a CX frame and if they had any. This should had been the first sign it was not going to be a great experience as they kept on trying to sell me one of their aluminum frames that they couldn't sell despite my lack of interest in aluminum as I was only interested in carbon. This went on for a while at least once or twice a week until I finally bought a frame on my own..... I found an older steel frame, made around 1985, and had it shipped from SERBIA or somewhere of all places. It's a road frame, made from 531, internal cable routing, with a aero downtube friction setup. Since no one in the Florida office could help me with any information about this (despite their "Austrian connections"), I had to contact an enthusiast on my own to get some. He confirmed to me that it's a relatively rare frame as it was their top of the line model at the time, and I was lucky to get it in such great condition as not many were available, though it might not have been made by KTM as they contracted work out to other builders back then when they were having money problems (CBT Italia is one of them as my research proved), so who knows who made my frame.

The bike came with a Shimano AX group from the factory, but since it was just a bare frameset when I bought it, I planned to go full C-Record. I got as far as getting almost everything but the front and rear derailleurs (for some reason I got 2 cranks and 2 sets of Delta calipers though) and then got canned and totally stopped caring about the thing. The bare frame hangs on my rack nowadays with just a headset (strange mix of French cups and English threading) & fork installed, along with the C-Record crankset (English BB if I recall). I never got the bike far enough to ride, but just to lightly install parts for a picture opportunity here.

http s://i.imgur.com/ub6tj0u.jpg
http s://i.imgur.com/ISp9ipM.jpg
http s://i.imgur.com/e6IcfOc.jpg
http s://i.imgur.com/2mohRUN.jpg

Don't get me wrong, the frame I think is very pretty with it's "aero" profiling, lack of external cables, a 3T pantographed KTM stem that I had to modify to fit, nice shade of white paint, and the polished lugs & bits, but because of my experience of working there and that rather large (in my opinion) bit of lying by telling dealers and customers the bikes were 100% made in Austria broke the straw on the camel's back for me, and destroyed my association with this bike now. You can tell I hate liars, especially when they have absolutely nothing to be ashamed about like in this case and when they are trying to make a sale or two by deceiving others.... It really made me feel sick.

My plans since have been to try to make the bike into some bastard of a Time Trial bike using whatever junk parts I have sitting around doing nothing (I think I have Shimano 600 derailleurs and cranks somewhere), the Delta setup (since they're horrible at actually doing their job), and because I'm trying to keep costs as low as possible for this thing, the only parts I lack and need to buy is a Nitto pursuit bar of some kind, and probably some TT bars with it. I'll get to it when I have some interest and cash to burn. Also, if you're wondering, the headtube and downtube came to me without branded logos of any kind from the seller - which is funny because I hate it when bikes have their logo on the frame like 10 times on whatever tube is available, and have taped over them on a bike or two of my own. I think the only visible one is on the seat stay cap which is polished, so it is hard to even tell what it says.

Anyway, that's my story. I like how the frame looks (don't know how it rides), couldn't careless about the brand.

-glenn
Old 03-30-19, 03:17 AM
Poguemahone
Vello Kombi, baby

Bikes: 1973 Eisentraut; 1970s Richard Sachs; 1978 Alfio Bonnano; 1967 Peugeot PX10

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
When was England great? asking for a friend, Ireland.

Originally Posted by crank_addict
Haha-
Or wear a MEGA hat while riding an Asian made carbon Raleigh and you 'breaxit'.

Waste your money! Buy my comic book!
Old 03-30-19, 04:52 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
This one is too easy.

Paint & decal it up like a Masi and call it good
Old 03-30-19, 04:57 AM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2297 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by jon c.
you can always repaint
Decal it as a Mordor,
Old 03-30-19, 05:11 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by poguemahone
when was england great? Asking for a friend, ireland.
wwii
Old 03-30-19, 05:28 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
Decal it as a Mordor,

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.