Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

1st Century today!

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

1st Century today!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-04, 07:30 PM
Red Baron

Bikes: Not enough

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1st Century today!

Did 101 miles today, 1st 70 miles at a 14 mph pace (just under 5 hrs) but WOW, last 30 took 2 hr 23 minutes. Last 5 were the hardest, I really had to talk to myself. Was just starting to Bonk @ 95, in fact slipped a chain off at 100 even, got off and got very dizzy almost passed out. But got back on bike to the finish line (actually, I was alone, home was the finish line).
Not sure I want to do this again! (but have a local cycling club century scheduled for may 29th). I put aerobars on my touring bike (used it) - worked great!.
BTW- 57th birthday jun 4th, figure not too bad for a young guy. (I don't use that o-l-d word).
Old 05-09-04, 07:32 PM
pcsanity1
Censorship Stinks!

Bikes: Three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CONGRATULATIONS!

Welcome to the club. I have to say, I have only done one solo century. The time "alone" is just too brutal. I guess misery loves company, all the other century rides I have done were with others.

Once again, way to go!
Old 05-09-04, 08:09 PM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Way to gut it out! Those last few miles really get you to questioning the wisdom of what you're doing, but somehow you manage to find that last little bit in reserve and tell yourself "I'm gonna finish this, because it hasn't yet finished me...". The first century I did I was suffering HARD at about 90 miles -- I just kept turning the cranks over and figured as long as my legs kept working I was gonna finish. I started wondering aloud about beer at the finish line and some of the people around me started chanting "Beer! beer! beer! beer!...", so we topped the last hill heading to the finish all chanting for beer and feeling somewhat re-energized.

Congrats again -- when's the next one planned?
Old 05-09-04, 09:50 PM
lsits
Desert tortise

Bikes: Ibex Corrida LT 4.4 (2003), 2006 Bianchi Vigorelli (Red)

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Congtarulations. On my first (and only, so far) century, the hardest part was mile 60 to 75. After that I think I could smell the finish line.
Old 05-10-04, 06:29 AM
astonv0l

Bikes: LeMond-Nevada City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God! well done, I start training today for my MS150 and I cant wait to be with the "100 mile club" Not as sexy as the mile high club, but I bet you do a lot more work :-}
Well done mate!