Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Question for all bike shop owners/ wrenchers etc...

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-04, 01:20 PM
Moistfly
You're just a fat kid

Bikes: Felt 45 w/ speedplay x3 pedals

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If this should be put in the mechanics section feel free to move it, I just wasn't sure ...

Anyway, I finally ordered a bike, LBS expected it in sometime early next week ... my question is this, would it be out of line for me to ask if I can sit in while they're building it up? It's not that I have some sort of trust issue or want to keep an eye on them, i'm simply really intrigued about the mechanics/architecture of the bike and want to watch one be built for my own knowledge base. I'm just not sure how the folks at the shop would interpret a request like that and I don't want to step on anyones shoes. Does anyone think that would be out of line? Is it really just unnecessary?
Old 06-04-04, 01:25 PM
Chuvak
Advertise here!

Bikes: 2002 Allez A1xx SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just tell them what you told us. Say you are interested in the process of bike assembly. I don’t see why they would say no. Unless the space is limited and they are having a busy day.
Old 06-04-04, 01:30 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuvak
Just tell them what you told us. Say you are interested in the process of bike assembly. I don’t see why they would say no. Unless the space is limited and they are having a busy day.
As long as the shop in question has an open view to the workspace there shouldn't be a problem with you watching from the other side of a barrier but bear in mind there are insurance liabilities for having a customer in a workspace. Respect thier boundaries and you should be fine.
Old 06-04-04, 01:56 PM
Ebbtide

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there really a lot of assembly to watch? I assumed most bikes come 80% assembled and the shop adds the bars, pedals, brake, and seat...then some adjustments.

Just wondering.
Old 06-04-04, 10:45 PM
Chuvak
Advertise here!

Bikes: 2002 Allez A1xx SE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
but bear in mind there are insurance liabilities for having a customer in a workspace.

C'mon it's not that serious......I hope
Old 06-04-04, 10:56 PM
pyze-guy
Yup

Bikes: Kona Unit, planet X cx bike, khs fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
In some places, yes. Several restaurants I've cooked at, customers and off duty staff were never allowed in the kitchen for health and safty issues. Someone slips and falls, the restaurant is liable. Sucks but true.
Become reality to me
Old 06-04-04, 11:15 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I'm dead serious. I may joke about a lot of things but safety zones ain't one of them. Even if the person isn't hurt that badly they will still turn and sue the crap out of you.
Old 06-04-04, 11:42 PM
campkev
Paranoid Schizophrenic*

Bikes: Trek 7100.... Stop Laughing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bribery might also help. Having a nice selection of clif-bars or something similar to pass around the shop while you very politely ask if you could please watch your bike being built couldn't hurt.
Old 06-04-04, 11:45 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by campkev
Bribery might also help. Having a nice selection of clif-bars or something similar to pass around the shop while you very politely ask if you could please watch your bike being built couldn't hurt.
Hmmm bribing a shop wrench with something he has in abundance. Yeah that'll get you REAL far.
Old 06-05-04, 05:47 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Moistfly
If this should be put in the mechanics section feel free to move it, I just wasn't sure ...

Anyway, I finally ordered a bike, LBS expected it in sometime early next week ... my question is this, would it be out of line for me to ask if I can sit in while they're building it up? It's not that I have some sort of trust issue or want to keep an eye on them, i'm simply really intrigued about the mechanics/architecture of the bike and want to watch one be built for my own knowledge base. I'm just not sure how the folks at the shop would interpret a request like that and I don't want to step on anyones shoes. Does anyone think that would be out of line? Is it really just unnecessary?
I've done it under protest, but my experience with doing that as a shop owner and as a bike mechanic has not been good but I can't give you an objective reason why. If the customer watches while you fix a flat, that'll be the tube that you pinch. On a new bike, that'll be the one that needs the derailleur hanger aligned or some fairly serious wheel trueing or the brakes won't retract. If you want to stand back and think about a problem for a minute, the customer disturbs your thought process by asking "Why is it doing that?" "Is this bike a lemon?" "What do you think about Tufo tires?" As long as you have the customer watching you, part of your mind has to be tuned to what impression you are making on the customer. I do better work when my whole mind is tuned into whatever job I'm doing. I've told the guys who worked for me that it's ALWAYS a bad idea, but sometimes they'd get trapped into letting the costomer watch.
Old 06-05-04, 10:39 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Raiyn
I'm dead serious. I may joke about a lot of things but safety zones ain't one of them. Even if the person isn't hurt that badly they will still turn and sue the crap out of you.

Quite true. You can just about be sued by anyone, at anytime, for any reason. I am over stating the case a little but there are virtually no functional restrictions to suing someone. Now even in the case of a frivolous lawsuit, it takes quite a bit of time, money, aggravation and stress to be the target of a lawsuit. I have heard that an estimate of the legal costs of defending against a case going to court as $50,000. Actually, I know of a case where it came out at $10,000 but even so that ain't chicken feed.

The thing is why should a bike shop invite potential trouble when there is no earthly benefit for them to do so?
Old 06-05-04, 10:51 AM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
I've done it under protest, but my experience with doing that as a shop owner and as a bike mechanic has not been good but I can't give you an objective reason why. If the customer watches while you fix a flat, that'll be the tube that you pinch. On a new bike, that'll be the one that needs the derailleur hanger aligned or some fairly serious wheel trueing or the brakes won't retract. If you want to stand back and think about a problem for a minute, the customer disturbs your thought process by asking "Why is it doing that?" "Is this bike a lemon?" "What do you think about Tufo tires?" As long as you have the customer watching you, part of your mind has to be tuned to what impression you are making on the customer. I do better work when my whole mind is tuned into whatever job I'm doing. I've told the guys who worked for me that it's ALWAYS a bad idea, but sometimes they'd get trapped into letting the costomer watch.
I know I hate that.
Old 06-05-04, 11:58 AM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will let a customer watch if they want, but as retro grouch says, when you are watched is almost always when you have the hardcase bike.

They come pretty assembled but need to have the bars and pedals installed, wheels trued and everything adjusted, so you would get something out of it if you watched.

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 06-05-04, 12:14 PM
Moistfly
You're just a fat kid

Bikes: Felt 45 w/ speedplay x3 pedals

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmmm, I really don't want to aggravate the guy that gets that task of building up my bike, i'll probably just leave them alone and then do what most here recommend and buy a wal mart bike or something to disassemble and then reassemble. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 06-05-04, 06:18 PM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by campkev
Clif bars?! Yuck...

I always bring donuts when bribery is in order, and that seems to be pretty well received.
Old 06-05-04, 08:13 PM
Rev.Chuck
The Red Lantern

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go ahead and ask. Tell them it is not a problem if they say no but you really would like to see it put together. The worst is they say no. The best is they say yes and you might even make a freind with the mechanic if you play it right.

P.S. Krispy Creme, chocalate glazed

I am in the woods and I have gone crazy.
Old 06-05-04, 11:14 PM
Hunter
NOT a weight weenie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have never had a problem with it. As long as the person is not in my way. Reason I say this a shop I used to work in had this guy who used to come in and put his bike in the stand, and watch us on other bikes, then once we were done he would work on his along with us. This lasted about three times until I got ticked at him and he quit.