Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Let me tell you why I love my helmet--ER story

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-04, 11:51 PM
joeveto

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I'm on my new Specialized Allez. Many heartfelt thanks to the two of you who convinced me to dump my old POS. I love this bike.

At any rate, it was a cool night, and I decided to do some riding. I took a left hand sweeper into the Wal-Mart parking lot, doing about 16 mph. I thought to myself I can't believe they are open this late.... BAM! I hit an island, never saw it coming. Flew over the handlebars and the next thing I hear, is CRUNCH. That would be my head, or should I say my helmet protecting my head. I was in a daze, have some road rash, the bike has the first scratches and gouges I was worried about getting.

On the way home, I noticed my vision getting a little fuzzy and I felt a little dizzy. To be safe, I went to the emergency room. The helmet was nice and cracked.

Thankfully, my head appears to be okay.

I always ride with a helmet. Now I know why.

For what it's worth...
Old 06-29-04, 12:04 AM
Fugazi Dave
Beausage is Beautiful

Bikes: Nabiis Alchemy

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 8 Posts
Helmets have saved me from brain damange more than once. I'll sooner ride without brakes than I'll ride without a melon protector.
Old 06-29-04, 04:47 AM
pcsanity1
Censorship Stinks!

Bikes: Three

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad you walked away, yep the helmets really do work. Saved my wife from major head injury when she did an endo in to the pavement on a downhill. (Hit a crack.) Knocked her out, ambulance ride, but walked out of the ER.

Glad you had sense about you to head to the ER and get checked out. You never know, even with a helmet.
Old 06-29-04, 05:04 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12192 Post(s)
Liked 1,496 Times in 1,108 Posts
Bell has a great replacement policy. Lots cheaper than new.
Old 06-29-04, 05:46 AM
michael_tn
Linux Geek

Bikes: LeMond Tourmalet Cannodale F400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
helmet schmelmet, how was the bike?
Old 06-29-04, 10:32 AM
F1_Fan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joeveto
At any rate, it was a cool night, and I decided to do some riding. I took a left hand sweeper into the Wal-Mart parking lot, doing about 16 mph.
OW... I feel your pain. Many years back I moved to a new city and the night before starting work I thought I'd better time the commute. Well I totally misjudged it and darkness fell just as I got to my new workplace. On the final turn onto the access road I hit (and rode over a low traffic island... amazingly I didn't go down!
Old 06-29-04, 12:37 PM
1inamil600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ouch, glad you made it though!
Old 06-29-04, 01:13 PM
MandansFinest

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Make sure you get a new helmet as that one may not protect you next time.
Old 06-29-04, 06:32 PM
DGUT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So I'm on my new Specialized Allez. Many heartfelt thanks to the two of you who convinced me to dump my old POS. I love this bike.

At any rate, it was a cool night, and I decided to do some riding. I took a left hand sweeper into the Wal-Mart parking lot, doing about 16 mph. I thought to myself I can't believe they are open this late.... BAM! I hit an island, never saw it coming. Flew over the handlebars and the next thing I hear, is CRUNCH. That would be my head, or should I say my helmet protecting my head. I was in a daze, have some road rash, the bike has the first scratches and gouges I was worried about getting.

On the way home, I noticed my vision getting a little fuzzy and I felt a little dizzy. To be safe, I went to the emergency room. The helmet was nice and cracked.

Thankfully, my head appears to be okay.

I always ride with a helmet. Now I know why.

For what it's worth...
Pretty much exactly what happened to me some twenty yrs ago. An empty parking lot at night, low speed. No helmet. Still have scars where they had to scrape the asphalt out of my face. Front tooth dead and just had it removed this yr, waiting to get implant. WISH I HAD A HELMIT!
Old 06-29-04, 07:01 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I had a similar experience while out night riding...
Old 06-29-04, 08:08 PM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Earlier this year I smacked my noggin on the pavement pretty good and if it weren't for the helmet it would have been bad. As it was, even with the helmet, it took me about 5 or 10 minutes to figure out where I was after the crash. I was reaching for the water bottle and right then a car decided to pull out of a driveway ahead of me -- I grabbed a big handful of front brake (the only hand that was still on the bars) and I hit hard and fast. Dumb move, I know, but instinct took over for just a moment before common sense could intervene. The helmet was trashed and I had some nice road rash in a few spots but nothing serious -- I rode the bars down into the pavement so they were hosed.

I've never been much of a helmet zealot but I have to say that on that one occasion my helmet saved me from much more serious injury and I'm grateful for that. Anyone who thinks their head isn't worth protecting with a helmet is probably right...
Old 06-29-04, 08:42 PM
pjbaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's why they call them brain buckets...

Glad you're OK. Who cares if the helmet is toast, buy another. Best $$$ spent you'll hopefully never use again.

PJ
Old 06-30-04, 11:31 PM
joeveto

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all, thanks for the kind words.

I went out, the next day, and picked up a new helmet. I learned from riding motorcycles, that helmets are only good for one impact. That's it. And even if they are never dropped or suffer an impact, they need to be replaced or inspected every five years or so.

The bike. Ahhhhh, the bike.

It's not too bad. The bike rides better after having been wrecked than my old one did brand new. But the front rim is bent, the frame has a few nice gouges in it, and the crank is scraped up pretty bad. Still, it rides smooth as ever. I'm leaving on vaca, in a few days. I'm going to drop her off tomorrow, and get the rim trued.

The sickest thing, is that that was my second trip to the hospital, in less than a week. On Thursday of last week, my wife's Vette's radiator popped on me and burned my right bicep. Took the skin off. So my insurance company is in love with me.
Old 07-01-04, 07:30 AM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The sickest thing, is that that was my second trip to the hospital, in less than a week. On Thursday of last week, my wife's Vette's radiator popped on me and burned my right bicep. Took the skin off. So my insurance company is in love with me.
Don't be surprised if the insurance company sends you a new helmet and a Nomex firesuit...
Old 07-01-04, 07:59 AM
pjbaz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grendel
Don't be surprised if the insurance company sends you a new helmet and a Nomex firesuit...
AND a bigger premium!

PJ