Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Krylon for a new paint job?

Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Old 06-28-04, 09:56 PM
ultra-g
Retired Member

Bikes: Bianchi Pisa, LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was thinking of giving my Langster a new paint job, I'd like to paint it Yellow and Black.

Do you guys recommend Krylon spray paint for this?
Old 06-28-04, 10:10 PM
Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 103 Posts
I just painted my fixie with a rattle can. I did it right too...stripped, primer, many coats, and many clear coats. Within a month many scratches, down to the primer. Not sure about where you are but here there is a place that will put automotive paint in a can. This is what I will do next or just powdercoat it. Since your langster is Al you don't have that option.

Good luck
Old 06-29-04, 07:04 AM
auk
Coasting makes you grumpy

Bikes: Specialized Stumpjumper M2Comp; Habanero Ti-Team; Slingshot Road; 1962 converted Raliegh fixer aka: The Beast

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dupli-Color makes an automotive paint in a can. Can be found at Wal-mart, Autozone, etc. I've used this on a couple of projects and it is rally good stuff. Not th enormal rattle can paint smell, but rather smells like you just walked in an automotive body shop. Few bucks more than Krylon, et al, but seems to be worth it. They also have an auto clearcoat in a can.

Good luck.

Dave
Old 06-29-04, 07:55 AM
Jose Cuervo
Lowlife Drunk

Bikes: Early 1980's Rossin 49x17, Aero Head Wheels (White) & Formula Hubs, Cinelli Stem & Drops, Ofmega Cranks (Mistral) & Headset

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by auk
Dupli-Color makes an automotive paint in a can. Can be found at Wal-mart, Autozone, etc. I've used this on a couple of projects and it is rally good stuff. Not th enormal rattle can paint smell, but rather smells like you just walked in an automotive body shop. Few bucks more than Krylon, et al, but seems to be worth it. They also have an auto clearcoat in a can.

Good luck.

Dave

Dupli-Color is good *****. Give it a shot. They have a green called Grabber Green that is so nice...that is, if you decide against the whole bumble bee look. Haha, just kidding.
Old 06-29-04, 08:03 AM
MKRG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used the dupli color kit that "changes colors" on the first bike I built. Here is a before picture
Old 06-29-04, 08:05 AM
MKRG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Here is an after picture:
Old 06-29-04, 08:10 AM
brunning

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i've never used the dupli-color stuff for anything, but i can vouch that regular krylon is a bad way to go. as cynikal posted, even with a number of coats, it'll scratch very easily.

another option is bringing your frame to a local auto painting place and asking them to give it a few coats next time they're doing a car in a color you want. they probably won't want to load up the guns just for you, but there's always extra paint in there, and i've heard a lot of stories of shops that don't mind giving a bike frame a few coats after the car is done.
Old 06-29-04, 08:48 PM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm planning to use the DupliColor Mirage stuff on my fixie project, but can't decide yet on the color(s) I want.
Old 06-29-04, 08:52 PM
MKRG

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Grendel, that's the stuff I used on the bike pictured above. Just so you know what it looks like the above bike was painted with the Green-Purple kit.
Old 06-30-04, 10:12 AM
ultra-g
Retired Member

Bikes: Bianchi Pisa, LeMond Poprad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey thanks, I'll check out the Dupli-Color paint, there are plenty of auto shops around my home (no Walmarts in NYC though).