Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Aluminum vs Carbon for newbie

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Aluminum vs Carbon for newbie

Old 01-29-19, 11:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Can we get a little love for titanium?
Old 01-29-19, 01:16 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts
Originally Posted by jgwilliams
Yes, my feeling exactly. Obviously an aluminium frame would have survived that totally intact and a steel frame would have broken the deer in half.
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Can we get a little love for titanium?
A titanium frame would have not only survived intact, but gutted, cleaned and quartered the deer.

-Matt
Old 01-29-19, 01:28 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18396 Post(s)
Liked 15,485 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by MattTheHat
A titanium frame would have not only survived intact, but gutted, cleaned and quartered the deer.

-Matt
And it would not have rusted or corroded like steel or aluminum.

Se we all agree that ti is fly.
Old 01-29-19, 01:56 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,026 Times in 1,426 Posts

Or sploded, like carbon! Yep, errybody like titanium!

-Matt
Old 01-29-19, 02:03 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts

Pfft old news. I'm waiting on delivery of my dysprosium frame any day now.
Old 01-29-19, 02:05 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18349 Post(s)
Liked 4,501 Times in 3,346 Posts
If you are truly "just starting", I'd get a good "beater bike". Try to find something used for < $500.

I've ridden Carbon, Steel, and Aluminum. Each has its costs and advantages. But, for your first bike I'd choose either a quality steel (double butted chromoly something, lots of choices), or a quality aluminum bike.

Put maybe 10,000 miles on this starter bike, then start planning on buying your lifetime bike.

Your starter/beater bike may still get quite a few miles for commuting, errands, utility cycling, etc.

A couple of advantages of starting cheap is that you'll start learning what you do and don't like, and what questions to ask. Also you'll decide if you really like riding a bike. And,if you destroy a cheap bike, or get it stolen, you'll be able to thank yourself that it wasn't a $5K bike.
Old 01-29-19, 02:11 PM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by mtb_addict
What if you drop a large crescent wrench on the top tube? Like I did the other day on my steel mtb commuter.

Steel no problem.
Alum probably okay.
Carbon uh oh.

You need to be using the correct type of wrench.

Old 01-29-19, 02:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
What does "Better flex" mean?

-Tim-
Old 01-29-19, 04:05 PM
Carverbiker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by .popcycle.
Ho boy, three times?

That is why I always take my garage door opener off my visor and put it in a door pocket so I can't forget the bikes on top.
Yeah it always happens when a neighbor stops me in front of the house as I am pulling in after a ride, we start talking and make plans for something. Usually I have already opened the garage door and I forget. Never done it coming home directly after I ride!
Old 01-29-19, 04:38 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
@Roadie64 lists two specific bikes he is eyeing.

Imagine if we answer the question he actually asked/

Nah ... that is too far outside the bounds of possibility. Even i can't imagine anything that crazy.

Te first thing I see is that the Domane (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...-sl-5/p/24223/) has "Iso-Speed Decouplers" which supposedly do a ton of shack absorbing. is this something the OP wants? Does it matter? How does ride quality suffer? Didn't I see some sort of recall-limited service live warning on the front decouplers?

Both bikes feature 105 groups and rim brakes. I would expect the Domane to be a little lighter, but i haven't bothered to research.

To me the question here isn't frame material, but overall weight, build quality, and those potentially unstable Iso-Speed Decouplers. The Domane has real 105 brakes, while the Allez has Tektros ... no experience with Those Tektros, but I'd Definitely prefer Shimano. Both have house-brand wheels and cockpits. From the spec sheets, it seems both can handle 28-mm tires, which is sort of the performance/comfort sweet spot.

It's a really tough choice. Easier for me, because it isn't my money ... but I be the Allez with a nice set of wheels would do everything the Domane would do and do it a little better. I don't see anything on the Domane which makes it worth $1000 more than the Allez. maybe if the OP rides exclusively on poorly maintained chipseal ...... in which case, get a bike which can handle 40-mm tires?

I think the Allez is the better value.
Old 01-29-19, 07:01 PM
BrocLuno

Bikes: K2 (Marzocchi/Fox), Trek 6000 (red) MARS Elite up front, Specialized Hardrock Sport -> eBike (R7 Elite up front), lastly TREK 820 loaner. Recently sold Peugeot du Monde Record and 1956 Schwinn (owned since new).

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Is a gram scale in your pictures of bike parts revues.?. you know who you are...
That'd be me

It's crazy how heavy some stuff is. I'll take weight savings any day, as long as it's affordable ... I agree on light strong wheels being #1 , frame weight comes second.

Suspension forks are all over the place weight wise. High-end forks are usually lighter. I know the OP is not talking suspended bike. But, when looking at any bike purchase, I look at future upgrade path - road bike or MTB ...

I have plenty of aluminum bikes. Sold my last two steel framed bikes before Christmas.

I would like one CF bike to play with
Old 02-05-19, 11:17 AM
voyager1

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
As someone who is also eyeing a new bike and the Domane SL5 and Specialized Allez Elite are on my short list as is the Edmonda ALR5 Disc and Cannondale CAAD12 Disc and Synapse AL Disc... Here are my thoughts.

Get a cheap ride to learn on. I have an older Trek 1200. This allows you to learn if you like riding and how to maintain a bike. Put a couple thousand miles on that bike. Find a local group of riders or bike club to ride with. Riding in groups is fun plus you will learn a lot.

After that 2000 miles you are at that point you are ready for a nice bike.

Now between those two and only those two I would go with the Domane. Two reasons. 1. Brakes 2. IsoCoupler. Frame material doesn’t matter. Only possible negative could be that saddle on the Domane.

If I were going for the Allez I would factor in upgrading the brakes and saddle right off the bat for me. Luckily I already have a saddle for me on my current bike.

On paper though I like the Emonda ALR5 Disc.

None of these bikes I have ridden, so it is all just theory.
Old 02-05-19, 12:11 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
What does "Better flex" mean?

-Tim-
Subscribe to Bike Quarterly, they go on and on about Planeing..
Old 02-05-19, 12:28 PM
luevelvet

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2019 Trek Domane SL5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
If you have the money, you can't really go wrong with the Trek Domane SL5. I just picked up the 2019 model with a full 105 groupset, (hydra disc brakes etc). Some say everyone's experience is different but the isospeed really does make a different in my ride versus my Fuji gravel bike. The Domane came with Bontrager wheels and while not the best they are much better than what came on my Fuji as well.

The Specialized looks like a great deal though and I don't think you'll go wrong with that one unless you have certain ailments like stiff neck due to bulging discs etc. If you're a young, fit and health fella then I don't think you will regret riding the Allez at all.

And as other's have eluded, don't get caught up in the CF vs Aluminum debate. They're both great for what they are and one isn't necessarily better than the other in tangible factors that you would ever notice at this stage. Admittedly I also like the paint job on the Specialized a little bit more, and yes, that does matter in this game.

One thing I think you will notice between the two is the brakes. While there is nothing wrong with caliper brakes, you can certainly feel the difference vs disc brakes. I have disc brakes on both of my bikes while my wife's Domane came with rim brakes. Does she hate it? Absolutely not but you can definitely feel the difference in stopping power. Especially at higher speeds.

The best thing you can do to get the most input into this question is, ride them both. Which ever one makes you giddy and melt inside, that's the one for you.
Old 02-05-19, 12:29 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
Airliners are made out of a combination of both, then after a specific number of use hours , they make 1 last flight , landing in the desert to be stripped and scrapped..
And there has been the instance where at least twice and maybe 3 times the CF tails have broken off French Airbus airliners.
Old 02-05-19, 12:58 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
And the Boeing 787s have to replace their wings after every 3 flights ). Also, why are the 737s known as 'the convertible" in some airline circles - and they are mostly aluminium.

Last edited by avole; 02-05-19 at 01:03 PM.
Old 02-06-19, 03:34 PM
308jerry

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 88 Posts
On a more serious note, I could never own a CF bike after reading on this forum somewhere that setting my leg on the top tube of the CF bike compromises the integrity of the frame. There has been a few times I've stopped to talk with a neighbor and actually sat on the top tube Now I'm hearing that's a big no no on the CF bike. I could never own anything that delicate ...
Old 02-06-19, 04:33 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2493 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 521 Posts
I read the first dozen or so posts then skimmed. I may have missed the post that mentioned a compromise. I ride a hydroformed aluminum frame that has a carbon fork (Trek 1.1). The entire bike could pass for carbon so you get the carbon street cred. Arguably more of the carbon virtues are felt through the fork, so it makes sense to use carbon there, and if ... ... you only have to replace a fork. This is a far better bike than I deserve, and my guess is that it should/could/ would satisfy most non-competitive riders. The brakes are the only weak component. Easily upgraded although I have not done that. It is definitely a race bike ride. As an only bike daily driver it wouldn't be for me. I do ride it in town though but it was meant for the open road or park loops.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 02-06-19 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-07-19, 08:44 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedway2
Op...don't be too quick to count out "steel" framed bikes.....

^ Exactly. I started with this ^, changed the pedals and saddle and had a quite capable road bike. Something like this would be more bike than the OP could need for years to come, unless he is an unnaturally gifted cycling athlete. For reference: Gran Premio Elite model at BikesDirect.com for $800 now. Delivered.

Last edited by Phil_gretz; 02-07-19 at 08:47 AM. Reason: Price and Model
Old 02-07-19, 08:53 AM
willibrord

Bikes: carbon bamboo composite is the best

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 540 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 36 Posts
So much fear mongering on carbon bikes. Carbon frames are much stronger than comparable materials and at a fraction of the weight. Early carbon frames had some problems but thirty years of manufacturing has eliminated them. If you can get a carbon bike for the same prices as a conventional frame, go for the carbon.
Old 02-07-19, 08:57 AM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
No, carbon frames be evil, evil, they're the devil's spawn !

willibrod has it spot on. Go for it.