Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Smith vs. Bontrager helmets

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-19, 04:11 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts

I just crashed my Smith Overtake helmet today in a run-in with an SUV. Boo.

It's been a great helmet, and I'm tempted to just get one again. Unfortunately, with the holiday, it will take a bit to get one shipped to me. I could also run down to the LBS and get a Bontrager helmet - like Smith's Koroyd, the WaveCel material will keep bees out (which I enjoy.)

The obvious downsides to the Bontrager helmets are the price (for the XXX model), potential lack of aerodynamics (for the Specter model), and a few extra grams for both. The upside is that I'll be able to hit the road ASAP, perhaps against my better judgment.

What say ye, good people of the 41?
Old 07-02-19, 06:36 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
The day after a minor get-off, much less a crash into a vehicle bad enough to trash a helmet, is likely to hurt a good bit w/ a possible concussion in any helmet destroying event.
All of the "get back on the horse" stuff is all well and good but 24 Hr concussion observation, ice and NSAD for bruising might well take precedence over getting right back on the bike.

That being said a good well fitted helmet is, as you have found, worth the $$$.
Chill out and get the an exact replacement for the one you just proved to "work" or try another ASAP?
Your call, can't help there. Tomorrow will tell, will it not?

-Bandera
Old 07-02-19, 07:19 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Yeah, fit would be the most important thing to me, but I wouldn't be in a hurry after experiencing a helmet-breaking accident.
Old 07-02-19, 07:33 PM
Weakbikr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 9 Posts
Dang, glad your ok. I think I'd take a day off too.
Old 07-02-19, 08:21 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
How's your bike?
Old 07-02-19, 08:25 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Ha, I should have started with a less shocking sentence. I was on my way to my annual physical when the incident happened; saw the doc, got some x-rays, all good.

I think I've made my decision (to stick with Smith), but just wondered if there were any serious advantages (such as style, aerodynamics, etc.) of the Bontrager helmets, other than the obvious inducing bit.
Old 07-02-19, 08:30 PM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Originally Posted by noodle soup
How's your bike?
Bike is fine, thanks for asking the most important question!

I was on the steel single speed, and one of the hoods is a bit whacked, but should be a two minute fix.
Likes For wipekitty:
Old 07-03-19, 12:12 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Helpful thread. I was on the verge of buying a Smith helmet but didn't know anyone who'd actually worn one (other than Amazon and retailer reviews). Nothing wrong with my Bell Formula MIPS, but I'd like a second helmet without the camera mount. And the Koroyd looks interesting.

A local shop had a couple of discontinued Smith helmets, but only in small so I couldn't try them on. They felt a bit lighter than the same sized WaveCel helmets. So far my friends who've bought WaveCel helmets are close to my age (50something) and safety conscious after one or more crashes. So there's a market for that.

I've had one fairly minor head bonk when I was hit by a car last year. Main problem was the shoulder and neck injury. But I felt a minor impact on the street and later noticed the hard plastic outer shell on my low priced Bell Solar had delaminated at the impact area, which was only scuffed but not visibly dented otherwise. That's the first and so far only time my head has touched the ground in a crash, but I was much younger and more agile with quicker reflexes in ye olden dayes.
Old 07-03-19, 11:58 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Originally Posted by canklecat
Helpful thread. I was on the verge of buying a Smith helmet but didn't know anyone who'd actually worn one (other than Amazon and retailer reviews). Nothing wrong with my Bell Formula MIPS, but I'd like a second helmet without the camera mount. And the Koroyd looks interesting.
Well, I can say with confidence that the Smith Overtake helmet did its job! The helmet isn't cracked up, but there are some obvious dings and scrapes from what otherwise would have been my head. The Bontrager Specter helmets also work; two of my riding buddies went down wearing them a couple weeks back, and both avoided head injuries. Then again, my Nutcase helmet also did its job in '08.

I like the Koroyd primarily because it's lightweight and keeps out bees, dragonflies, and other large insects. It runs a bit warmer than other helmets I've used, but have used it in mid-90s with high humidity and been okay.

Checking specs, the WaveCel helmets are a bit heavier - Trek claims 341g for the Specter and 352g for the XXX, versus 284g for the Smith Overtake (all size M). None of these are cheap helmets, but after upgrading to a nice helmet, it's hard to go back.

I decided to order another Smith (in a different color). The last one just fit very well. It should be here Monday for my birthday!
Likes For wipekitty: