Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Steel leaven in the carbon dough

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-19, 07:30 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts

First off, this is not an anti-carbon rant. I've had four carbon road bikes, liked them a lot, and my fat bike is carbon. But there's something about steel.

A year ago, when I thought I was "done" with fast road riding, I sold the last of my carbon racers, an Orbea Orca frame I built up with 11 speed Ultegra and HED wheels. Two weeks ago, however, as I was ending a month long tour (1985 Trek 720), I realized I had pushed the "done" button prematurely. Neither funds nor the desire to continue marital comity meant a high end carbon was in the cards, and I would rather get ride yesterday's solid offering than today's budget make do. Vintage to the rescue! A week ago today, I stumbled on a 1988 Miyata Twelve Hundred on Craigs that had languished for over two months. I went to see it, rode it (it fit perfectly, as I knew it would. I have a thing for Miyatas.), and brought it home for $200. No rust, no scratches, no dings. The paint is not in the best condition, but I bought it to ride, not to look at.

Last night I took it to the local LBS group ride. When I rolled up on my old steel bike, with my Five Ten Freeriders on the pedals that didn't even have a clip or strap, no one was rude enough to actually say anything (this is Minnesota, after all), but there were looks. Anyway, I wasn't sure how it would go. I've put in about 3,500 miles since late March, most of that on the tour, but I've done no speed work. But both the bike and I did just fine at just under 90 humid degrees and a steady 15 mph south wind. 10 riders started in the group, four were dropped, myself not among them.

I bought some new rubber that will arrive next week (Vittoria Corsa G+ Clincher), I have a new chain on order,
, I need to tighten up the tensioning screw on the right shifter (when up out of the saddle, it would slide down to the next higher gear after 15 or so strikes), and I'll soon be pulling the trigger on shoes (I have my eye on a pair of blue lace up Giro Empires) and pedals (REI has the R540 on sale).
Old 07-18-19, 07:37 AM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
Nice purchase! Is that a Shimano Sante group?
Old 07-18-19, 07:43 AM
revcp 

Bikes: 2017 Salsa Carbon Mukluk frame built with XT, 2018 Kona Rove NRB build with Sram Apex 1,2008 Salsa El Mariachi, 1986 Centurion Ironman

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 65 Posts
It is

Originally Posted by robbyville
Nice purchase! Is that a Shimano Sante group?
The jury is still out on the crankset, but everything else is great.
Old 07-18-19, 07:44 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I really would like to have one of those. Whenever I have seen them they are not sized right, or they are too far away and the seller does not want to ship. I am normally a 53/54, but can go up a bit in size, but not smaller. Very nice acquisition, I am just a bit envious.
Old 07-18-19, 08:27 PM
Kuromori

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 64 Posts
Well technically a steel frame is ~0.3% carbon. Sante is a neat group, which I can only imagine was designed for dentists with the pearly white color scheme and avoidance of cavities on the components. The brake caliper anchor bolts don't go through and lack a QR to keep the front looking clean. The RD pulley bolts likewise don't go through. The CR bolts are flat on the outside. The lever on the QR skewers doesn't pass all the way through so there's no stub with a nut or a c-clip sticking out the other side of the cap. I was actually looking for Sante skewers but has to settle for 600 skewers which have a similar design.
Old 07-18-19, 08:48 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
If I had that 1200, I'd ride it. Can I send you a white bottle cage?

Steel continues to be relevant, as we all know; some other folks have not seen the memo. Yet.

Saturday is 2019's Ride Across Indiana, which I'll be doing with @speedevil and @nomadmax.
96 degrees "purdickted." 160 miles (add 5 on each end to hit the borders of IL and OH). 38 miles and 2000' of climbing
to the first rest stop, then flat. I needed a climber, a speedster, something to carry water, a butcher, a baker and a candlestick maker.

Steel, baby. 16.5 lbs before accessories. 6800 with 11-on-10 11-32 rear, some used Zipps off of CL (Performance offered this
"343" series, 303 front, 404 rear). The rest is carbon from the land of Mao. Yes, I'm riding 170 miles on a carbon saddle.

Works for me (at least I hope so).

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 07-18-19 at 09:00 PM.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 07-18-19, 08:55 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Originally Posted by Kuromori
Well technically a steel frame is ~0.3% carbon. Sante is a neat group, which I can only imagine was designed for dentists with the pearly white color scheme and avoidance of cavities on the components. The brake caliper anchor bolts don't go through and lack a QR to keep the front looking clean. The RD pulley bolts likewise don't go through. The CR bolts are flat on the outside. The lever on the QR skewers doesn't pass all the way through so there's no stub with a nut or a c-clip sticking out the other side of the cap. I was actually looking for Sante skewers but has to settle for 600 skewers which have a similar design.
^^^ "Technical Ecstacy" - E,L&P ^^^

I used to think bicycle guys were geekish and tech nerds about their bikes. Then I went to a Harley Davidson swap meet.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 07-18-19, 08:55 PM
speedevil 
I never finish anyth

Bikes: 2008 Merckx LXM, 2003 Giant XTC mtb, 2001 Lemond Alpe d'Huez, 1997 Lemond Zurich, 1989 Cannondale ST, 1988 Masi Nuovo Strada, 1983 Pinarello Turismo

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 86 Posts
Well, I'll be able to report on the brightness of @RobbieTunes taillight, for a while at least. @nomadmax on the other hand, will be so far ahead that the curvature of the earth will prevent seeing his taillight at all.

But it will be an epic ride, and we'll celebrate in Richmond on Saturday.