Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Alternative to Plastic Water Bottle

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Alternative to Plastic Water Bottle

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-07, 06:21 PM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
What we need is a titanium bottle.

"I'm sorry sir, your bike was completely totaled by the 18-wheeler after it fell off your roof. But your water bottle survived."
Old 06-25-07, 06:26 PM
CommuterRun
Conservative Hippie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pick up longneck beer bottles off the side of the road. Take them home, wash them, fill with water, stuff a cork in the neck, tape a rag of suffient thickness to fit a bottle cage and viola:
-You've helped clean up the evironment.
-You have a ready supply of free water bottles forever.
-Safe for reuse for centuries.
Old 06-25-07, 06:59 PM
Slow Train

Bikes: 2006 Specialized S-Works Tricross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've replaced plastic bags with 2 of these:

reusable bags

Much tougher, won't rip, and hold about 30% more than a typical plastic grocery bag. Plus they fold up and fit neatly into your pocket.
Old 06-25-07, 06:59 PM
sdime

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I live in Bush country, i.e., Texas, where most people are too cynical to recycle. My neighbors think Global Warming is a hoax, and they have a natural right to generate as much trash as possible.

Our neighborhood subdivision just recently voted down a plan to require homeowners separate the recyclable material from the trash. Apparently, putting plastic and glass bottom and newspaper into a separate bin is too much of a hassle for the people in this neighborhood.

Originally Posted by Machka
On the issue of single use bottles ... don't most people recycle them? There are recycling bins for them EVERYWHERE! Unless I simply cannot locate a recycling bin (very rare), I toss all my recyclable bottles, cans, paper, etc. into those big blue bins.

Old 06-25-07, 07:02 PM
Raiyn
I drink your MILKSHAKE

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Rockhopper FSR Comp, 1999 Specialized Hardrock Comp FS, 1971 Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sdime
I live in Bush country, i.e., Texas, where most people are too cynical to recycle. My neighbors think Global Warming is a hoax, and they have a natural right to generate as much trash as possible.

Our neighborhood subdivision just recently voted down a plan to require homeowners separate the recyclable material from the trash. Apparently, putting plastic and glass bottom and newspaper into a separate bin is too much of a hassle for the people in this neighborhood.
Move
Old 06-25-07, 07:05 PM
sdime

I'm working in the aerospace industry. The option is limited.

Old 06-25-07, 07:05 PM
evblazer
Thread Killer

Bikes: Fuji Touring Xtracycle, Merlin Road, Bacchetta Giro 26 (Sold), Challenge Hurricane, Cruzbike Sofrider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On the issue of single use bottles ... don't most people recycle them? There are recycling bins for them EVERYWHERE! Unless I simply cannot locate a recycling bin (very rare), I toss all my recyclable bottles, cans, paper, etc. into those big blue bins.
In both work locations for my current employer there are absolutely no recycle bins for anything except paper.
I've mentioned it but they just say their service doesn't provide recyling.
Old 06-25-07, 07:06 PM
sdime

I see you also live in Bush country.

Old 06-25-07, 07:09 PM
Slow Train

Bikes: 2006 Specialized S-Works Tricross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
throwing plastic bottles in the trash = bad
recycling plastic bottles = better
not generating the wasteful consumption of plastic bottles in the first place = much better
Old 06-25-07, 07:09 PM
JeffS
not a role model

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yes, but they don't recycle into more bottles. They only "recycle" down, into less-desirable products. The supply of material exceeds demand at this point, and probably always will.
Old 06-25-07, 07:14 PM
sdime

You mean these?
"Swiss Engineered...." It's got to be good, then.

Originally Posted by CHenry
There is a lot of hysterics about plastic water bottles copied around the web. Much of it is published by web sellers of competing products. As far as calling Nalgene bottles unsafe (those labeled with #7 on the molded bottom) due to the theoretical leaching properties of polycarbonate (phthalates), I suspect the risk is extremely low, probably nil (now no b**ch t*t jokes, please!). There certainly seems to be no sound evidence of leaching in typical use with consumable beverages. Most bottles get flushed, cleaned and stored dry (or at least drying), the leaching between filling to drinking is minimal. LDPE, (polyethylene, #4) seems to escape criticism. That is the material most cheap shop promo water bottles are molded from anyway.

As far as alternatives go, the Sigg and Sigg-copies are aluminum alloy with some kind of resin liner that is supposedly food safe. (Strangely, they are no longer considered fuel safe due to temperature-induced expansion of hydrocarbon stove fuels when filled and subsequent ruptures and leakage). I guess I am betraying my age, but I remember Sigg was the fuel bottle for backpacking, about the time the Svea 123 was the stove to use. Oh well. They look cool, anyway.

My only gripe about the Sigg is that they are thin-walled and dent easily and that bubble-topped twist-open spout is low-flow compared to squeezing a drink from a LDPE bottle. The steel bottles, like the Kleen Canteen have a retro cool look, but like other single-wall metal bottles, they don't insulate as well as the cheap plastic bottles, you can't squeeze them and they are heavier, if weight shaving is an issue. One nice thing is that they are wide-mouthed, so you can drink easily from them, like with a glass.

I have bought them all and I have come to the conclusion the plastic bottles, while not the best looking, are still the most practical. It doesn't hurt that they are a lot cheaper, either.

Last edited by sdime; 06-25-07 at 07:22 PM.

Old 06-25-07, 07:17 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
All the places I've worked here in Alberta (I do temp jobs in between and during college) have extensive recycling programs. Right outside my current office room (and conveniently located inside the building) are several HUGE blue bins for paper, cans, glass, plastic, etc.

All the colleges I've attended both here in Alberta and also in Manitoba over the past 10 years have had similar recycling programs.

My apartment building in Manitoba got recycling blue bins about 6 years I ago, and the place I live now has had recycling even longer than that.

A quick glance in the phone book and I see 32 recycling businesses in this local area containing maybe 100,000 -120,000 people.

So ... sdime, rest assured that at least Canadian cyclists aren't just tossing out their old bicycle bottles and other plastics. And I suspect that there are similar recycling programs in other countries too.
Old 06-25-07, 07:18 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by Slow Train
not generating the wasteful consumption of plastic bottles in the first place = much better
I'm sorry ... but in a way, I actually have to disagree.
Old 06-25-07, 07:30 PM
notfred

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm sorry ... but in a way, I actually have to disagree.
But you're not going to tell us in what way that actually is?
Old 06-25-07, 07:32 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Yup, plastic takes a long time to decompose. Solution? Burn them.
Seriously, I have 3 cheap water bottles that came with the kids cheap walmart bikes, and I've been using them for the last 3 years. The alternative would have been to throw them away, so I figure I'm at zero impact so far.

Yeah OK, if a cyclist uses 30 water bottles in his lifetime, that's about equal to what I've seen some single people at work going through in 2 weeks. I'm not sweating it personally. After all, I could be tilling my entire lawn into garden and growing my own food, and I could be running my computer off solar, and my car off biodiesel. Any one of those would be vastly more impact than a water bottle every few years.
Old 06-25-07, 07:39 PM
KonradNYC

Bikes: Surly Pacer, Trek 520 & gaspipe fixed gear beater

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a stainless steel Klean Kanteen most of the time, but on my fixed gear I don't have any bottle cages so I wear a hip pack with a water bottle holder and for that I prefer the fit of a plastic water bottle. As someone who uses both stainless steel and plastic bottles, I can say for certain water tastes much better coming out of the steel container.

My water might get a little warmer in the summer in the steel bottle than in plastic, but I don't mind drinking warm water...but warm water in the plastic bottle has a strange taste. Also, I like the fact that if I'm camping, I can heat my steel bottles for hot water if needed.
Old 06-25-07, 07:39 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by notfred
But you're not going to tell us in what way that actually is?
I work in Alberta ... in the oil and gas industry. The company I work for makes plastics ... you know ... the little plastic beads that go into making things like ... plastic grocery bags and bicycle bottles.

It's kind of important to me to keep the production of those sorts of things going.
Old 06-25-07, 07:54 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by Raiyn
Move
That does no good. If everyone who desired work to improve an area left, it would remain, well, unimproved. It is all part of the world we live in, just cause one doesn't live there, doesn't mean the damage is not being done, or that it doesn't affect you indirectly at least.

Anyway, I do know there are some place in Texas that have municipal recycling programs and other place that are so sparsely populated, it can't be worth recycling on an organizied basis.

Al
Old 06-25-07, 08:12 PM
Rotten Bastard

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I think a lot of the polyester wicking fabrics are mostly made of recycled plastic bottles, right?

Anyway, Soma makes some bottles that don't leach chemicals, if you're interested https://www.glorycycles.com/socrpowabo.html Just seal 'em really tight or your gatorade will leak out all over your bottom bracket.

And to throw in a couple more cents, I use one of these for grocery shopping and other stuff. It's pretty much indestructible (i've put in about 70 pounds of stuff in it before) and when it gets dirty you can just hose it down.

And if you wanna get really depressed, check out these articles about how all the plastic crap we throw away ends up in the oceans and chokes all kinds of sea life to death.

https://www.latimes.com/news/local/oc...699,full.story

(This article is a little less depressing)
https://www.csmonitor.com/2007/0620/p01s03-woeu.htm
Old 06-25-07, 08:38 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All the (dare I say it?) hipsters are using those Sigg bottles now, I guess for the retro look. They come in some neat designs now too, but for around 20 bucks, I'll stick with my cycling water bottles which are easy to drink from and haven't failed me yet.
Old 06-25-07, 10:26 PM
icedmocha 
There's time now

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 4096 Post(s)
Liked 163 Times in 113 Posts
I had an aluminum bottle that resembled that top SIG I used for a year. It was a very pretty purple, and worked well. Except when hot or very cold. I only got a years use out of it b/c the threads at the cap stripped. I imagine the Sig will do the same. The Nalgene I have has a drop-in filter, which is tops. I do miss my white fuel bottle however....so pretty. Regardless, plastic bottles I have used worked better.
Old 06-25-07, 11:18 PM
FlyingAnchor

Bikes: All Recumbent, Strada and TT Tour

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just burn them. Rain will clean the air.
Actually we recycle almos everything and plastic, aluminum etc is recycled for my school. We have teams as to who can recycle the most. Winning team gets a pizza party on school time.
Old 06-25-07, 11:35 PM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
$2.50 -- https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...t%3A%20Bottles
Old 06-26-07, 06:15 AM
jeff-o
Recumbent Evangelist

Bikes: Rebel Cycles Trike, Trek 7500FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sdime

Seriously? That's incredible. My city has had a "blue box" recycling program in place for over 20 years!!
Old 06-26-07, 07:01 AM
geo8rge

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
"Those plastic bags from grocery stores are pretty bad too. I'll have to ask for paper from now on." The plastic bags probably use less fossil fuels than paper. Most fertilizer is for example made of natural gas. I would suggest reusing plastic bags. Paper requires allot of processing. The paper industy is being screwed by the "paperless" world so they are trying to for people to buy paper whatevers.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fritz_Haber

As to water bottles, stop drinking liquids. Try fruit like bananas. I knew a guy who guided a tour in a rain forest. The porters each brought a bag of potatoes as their hydration system.

BTW, in many municipalities it is illegal to charge for/sell tap water in local stores/restaurants. So they sell bottled water instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.