Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Would Someone Please Burn These Wheels

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-04, 06:47 PM
TriDevil
Spinmeister

Bikes: Scattante Carbon, Full Ultegra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright, many of you probably know of my trials and tribulations with my shimano r540 wheels. Today was the last straw, or should I say last spoke. I'm cruising along drafting behind my friend when all of a sudden I hit a bump or hole or something (still dont know what). The impact knocks me off the saddle, I'm now straddling the cross bar, my left knee banging into the cross bar, swerving wildly. Somehow I keep the bike up. I return to 'normal' riding and soon hear the all too familiar sound of a spoke banging against the frame. I get off and sure enough I have broken spoke #3. Luckily my friend had a pair of pliers and was able to hold the nipple while I gradually unscrewed the spoke so it wouldn't bang against the frame and so I could ride home, around 15 miles or so at this point. I get going, couple minutes later I'm again hearing this clanking on my rear wheel. I get off, check it out and I'm about 5 minutes away from breaking #4. I take his pliers again and tighten it up which was good enough to get me home. The spoke was bent so it will probably be replaced also. Now I am missing a ride tomorrow morning in addition to the two days last week I missed because the wheel was getting fixed also. I am calling oddsandendos tomorrow to discuss getting a set of wheels built and hopefully placing an order within a day or two. I am also going to contact shimano and tell them where they can put this wheel. Funny thing is, the front wheel has hit all the same bumps the rear has but is still pretty true. Anyway, just venting.
Old 04-18-04, 10:37 PM
Dutchy
We drive on the left.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mine are the R535's. Unfortunately I had the same problem but only once. A rear drive-side spoke broke, it rendered the wheel unrideable, the wobble was huge. I had to call a taxi to get home. I avoid using these wheels on days I am either solo or without an available emergency lift. I don't even like using them for commuting, in case a spoke breaks. I haven't been very impressed with these wheels.

CHEERS.

Mark
Old 04-18-04, 11:37 PM
TriDevil
Spinmeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been able to ride home twice, the wobble was pretty bad but still ridable. I'm debating what to do with these when I get a new set. The front is good so maybe ebay to help offset the new wheel cost. I wouldn't wish this back wheel on anyone so maybe it'll become a lawn ornament or something creative!
Old 04-19-04, 01:15 AM
look 361

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
just curious... do shimano's other wheels with similar geometry have these problems too?? like the 7701s or the 6701s?
Old 04-19-04, 01:33 AM
RacerX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The new Dura Ace wheels are a new design- the hub is completely different. They are really nice wheels.
I had some older Ultegra wheels (2001) that I did not like and would not recommend.
Old 04-19-04, 04:40 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
For solid riding wheels, you can't beat Open Pros with Ultegra hubs. Put 15,000 miles on a set with one spoke that loosend up in that entire time. 32 spokes and to toughen them up you can go with a heavier gauge..

it's a ton better than walking..

Last edited by roadwarrior; 04-19-04 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-19-04, 06:15 AM
Fat Hack

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by TriDevil
Now I am missing a ride tomorrow morning in addition to the two days last week I missed because the wheel was getting fixed also.
Like I keep sayin': you've all gotta have at LEAST 2 bikes

Old 04-19-04, 12:18 PM
SipperPhoto
The Cycling Photographer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hmm that is weird... I have the same wheels.. 1500 miles on them, and so far no major problems... I did notice that the rear wheels is a bit out of true, and will have to tkae it to the shop.. I was gonan attempt to try and true it myself... but those wheels scare me, and I'd rather have it in someone elses hand...

Your rear wheel will take all the abuse, because it has more weight sitting on it... generally your front wheel will take more abuse, as there is not much weight on it...

jeff
Old 04-20-04, 08:43 AM
spazegun2213

Bikes: '11 Allez Comp, '09 Pinarello Pista

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tri, that blows, sorry to hear that but maybe you should loose some weight so your spokes will not break? kidding, those wheels must stink, good luck on your new purshase!
Old 04-20-04, 09:58 AM
BaadDawg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weigh 200 lbs and ride on Mavic Cosmos wheels. They are about the same price as the Shimano R540. I have been very happy after 1 season on the Cosmos.
Old 04-20-04, 10:17 AM
K6-III

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Very happy here with Mavic Cosmos as well...
Old 04-20-04, 10:48 AM
TriDevil
Spinmeister

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm ordering some wheels through oddsandendos today. Broke another spoke by the way. The new wheels will have speedcific hubs, velocity aerohead wheels, 28 front 28 back, 300$ shipped to me. Weight around 1475 grams. I'm pysched!
Old 04-20-04, 09:50 PM
Grendel
1.64x10^6 posts

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bummer about the wheel, but you oughta smack your friend upside the head for not pointing out whatever it was you ran over or into or maintaining a clear line of it since you were drafting right behind him.
Old 04-21-04, 12:37 AM
cyclingshane73
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same wheels with close to 3000 k's on them, so far no major problems (crosses fingers). I had them trued up a little bit last year after breaking them in. I'm no lightweight either, 210 lbs.

However, I'm am looking a building up my own (32, 3 cross) set as I can be pretty hard on my stuff and figure it only a matter of time. Someone already said it, Ultegra hubs with Mavic Open Pros is looking pretty good at this stage right now.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 04-21-04, 01:56 PM
mjolnir2k

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well it could be worse...I just put on my brand spanking new set of WH 7701 Dura Ace Carbon Wheels and rode all of 12 miles when I hit a pothole (at about 25mph) and destroyed my front rim. The Carbon just exploded. Bye, Bye $400 front wheel...