Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Which type of clipless?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Which type of clipless?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-04, 11:05 AM
Hemlock

Bikes: Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which type of clipless?

I've never used clipless, want to try them on my next bike. If you have used several (Look, SPD, etc. . . ) please let me know their characteristics and strong/weak points. Why do you use the ones you use?

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-29-04, 11:16 AM
Tree Trunk

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Hemlock
I've never used clipless, want to try them on my next bike. If you have used several (Look, SPD, etc. . . ) please let me know their characteristics and strong/weak points. Why do you use the ones you use?

Thanks for the input.
I have used SPD, LOOK, and Speedplay X-2. SPD is the most universal (road/hybrid/mountain bike) and is compatible with most shoes. For my road bike I have had the best luck with Speedplay. Entry and exit for Speedplay is the easiest and smoothest. Speedplay cleats last a lot longer, too. LOOK has a larger platform. I have heard some people complain of hot spots with Speedplay X-1/2/3 and Zero.
Old 04-29-04, 11:18 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The original SPD cleat was so small that, even when I had carbon soled shoes, I got hotspots in my feet. I've been a LOOK man for years; my newest LOOKs are on their way and should be on the roadie this weekend when I get off of the fixed gear for the first time this spring. I almost went with Speedplays, and you'll find a lot of Speedplay fans here. They're great pedals, but I've never had a single problem with LOOKS.
Old 04-29-04, 11:22 AM
gattm99
Rouleur

Bikes: ROAD MOUNTAIN

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I have used SPDs and SPD-Rs,

I have never had problems with hot spots with either one but I found the SPD-Rs to be slightly harder to clip in and out of. I think the SPDs are the way to go for someone new to them because of the wide range of shoes available, the ease of use. If you are not concerened with weight the mountbike style SPDs are more convient to clip into.

A friend has told me how much he likes his egg beater pedals, and I've never heard a bad word about look or speedplay, but I would avoid the SPD-Rs.
Old 04-29-04, 11:25 AM
sorebutt
Über member!

Bikes: 2004 Albert Eisentraut

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have used SPDr (Shimano) for a few years as they came with my first bike. But after a couple of years they started to develop problems (wear), and when I needed new shoes I decided to replace them with Speedplay. It took a couple of rides to get use to the speedplay, but now I am a fan. I use X3s and like them. If you have it in your budget, try to get the Zero as they have an adjustment for the amount of float..
Old 04-29-04, 11:28 AM
ImprezaDrvr
Back in the Sooner State

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For the love of all things beautiful and green, stop posting this question over and over again.
Old 04-29-04, 11:53 AM
SipperPhoto
The Cycling Photographer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
3 times is enough...stop posting this

jeff
Old 04-29-04, 02:59 PM
Hemlock

Bikes: Trek 520

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SipperPhoto
3 times is enough...stop posting this

jeff
Sorry about that. I kept getting a DNS error and assumed (wrongly, as it turns out) that nothing was going through.