Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Best Season?

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Best Season?

Old 11-09-09, 02:27 PM
jhenke13
jhenke13

Bikes: Specialized Sequia touring bike, StumpJumper MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Best Season?

Greetings

I'm an old guy who's attempting to ride across this great country. So far I've made it from San Diego to my home in Colorado Springs, and from home to the Mississippi at Hannibal, MO. I will be riding the 3rd and final stage in 2010, but I'm not sure of the best "season" for doing so. The route will most likely be the TransAmerica, or very close, going west to east. I need input, especially from those who have done this, to help me pick the best time of year - spring, summer, or fall.

Thanks in advance,
John
Old 11-09-09, 02:42 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
How long are you going to take? Are you camping?

The shoulder seasons will be cooler but there will be more campgrounds open during the summer.
Old 11-09-09, 02:44 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1349 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
You can follow Ken Payton's route.

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?...c_id=4767&v=FI

Old 11-09-09, 04:27 PM
staehpj1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1250 Post(s)
Liked 753 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
It sounds like he is planning to start from Hannibal, Mo. That being the case that route would be pretty far out of his way. Even the Trans America would a good bit out of the way.

Since the OP mentioned the TA, I will suggest that heat and humidity can be brutal in mid to late Summer. I'd probably start at the beginning of May or so. Hopefully the spring rains will have eased up and the heat and humidity will not have kicked in yet. On our W-E TA we hit MO around the first of August. We hit some really hot and humid weather. It was still fun, but not the optimum weather wise.
Old 11-10-09, 09:28 AM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I like the idea of doing a crossing in stages over 2 or 3 years. For those of us who haven't retired yet, this might be the only way. I'd be interested in reading a journal when you finish. Any plans for a CrazyGuy posting?
Old 11-10-09, 04:20 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
John, I'm an old guy too and crossed in three stages sorta by accident, with no firm plan to do so. Lots of fun on all three. Drug it out over a couple of years and enjoyed the anticipation and planning nearly as much as the riding.

I'm a big fan of fall touring. Less chances for rain, lower humidity, no mosseys, and great nights buried in the sleeping bag. Not to mention the brilliant colors offered by the foliage. I'd do that route starting in mid September and equip for 30 degree nights in the mountains. Layers rule!
Old 11-10-09, 04:26 PM
jhenke13
jhenke13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, njkayaker
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably just motel it - had trouble finding campgrounds on the first leg, so did motels on part 2 and liked it. Debating between May and September, but leaning toward Sept.
John
Old 11-10-09, 05:05 PM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4242 Post(s)
Liked 1,342 Times in 931 Posts
Originally Posted by jhenke13
Hey, njkayaker
Thanks for the reply. I'll probably just motel it - had trouble finding campgrounds on the first leg, so did motels on part 2 and liked it. Debating between May and September, but leaning toward Sept.
John
How many days are you planning? If about 30 days, then Sept or May would work. If 60 days, Sept might work, depending on the weather in October and the location you are riding.

The ACA TransAmerica route ends up in Virginia. If it's dry, October will likely not be too cold (except, maybe in the mountains).

Last edited by njkayaker; 11-10-09 at 05:09 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 10:16 PM
jhenke13
jhenke13

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm hoping to do stage 3 in about 2 weeks, plus or minus. I have friends (place to stay) in Kitty Hawk, so would probably bend it south a bit near the coast. After the first 2 legs, I understand how weather and other issues can change plans in a hurry, but .....
Thanks again
Old 11-11-09, 06:21 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by jhenke13
Hey, njkayaker
John
Motels tend to be a bit scarcer and more expensive than in the middle of the country, so you may need to plan a bit more than you did in the middle of the country. The Fall can be lovely there. Late Sept and early Oct are likely to be very nice.
Old 11-11-09, 06:24 AM
staehpj1

Originally Posted by BigBlueToe
I like the idea of doing a crossing in stages over 2 or 3 years. For those of us who haven't retired yet, this might be the only way. I'd be interested in reading a journal when you finish. Any plans for a CrazyGuy posting?
That seems to be a popular approach. We met quite a few folks on the TA who were doing it in stages. Most of them did half one year and half the next, but some were doing more bite-sized chunks.