Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

canti's vs. v-brakes

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

canti's vs. v-brakes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-05, 05:07 PM
craiginho

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
for searching thru the archives on this forum, it looks like this topic has been discussed at length, but i haven't found an answer to this.

from my understanding, if you want to use v-brakes w/ drop bars & road brake levers you need travel agent to get the proper pull from the lever. does this decrease the effectiveness of the brake? and in this set up will you get better stopping power with canti's or v-brakes?

(and if it matters i'm running 700c tires)

Last edited by craiginho; 01-31-05 at 05:14 PM.
Old 01-31-05, 05:31 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
If you are using road brake levers you need travel agents to make the V brakes work.
It's a little bit of a pain too. More stuff to fiddle with. You lose leverage too.You don't really lose stopping power you have to squeeze the brake levers harder. There is no particular advantage to the V brakes then.

Go with a good set of cantis. Save yourself some trouble.
Old 01-31-05, 05:37 PM
roadfix
hello

Quoted: 193 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 51 Posts
If your frame is already equipped with cable hangers, use them and go with cantis.
Old 02-01-05, 07:01 AM
riderx
BFSSFG old timer

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Dia-Comp makes V-brake compatible levers. I think they go by 287 or something similar.
Old 02-01-05, 07:50 AM
RegularGuy
I am a lonely visitor

Bikes: Michelle Pfieffer, the Carbon Fiber Wonder Bike: A Kestrel 200 SCI Repainted in glorious mango; Old Paintless, A Litespeed Obed; The Bike With No Name: A Bianchi Eros; RegularBike: A Parkpre Comp Ltd rebuilt as a singlespeed.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by riderx
Dia-Comp makes V-brake compatible levers. I think they go by 287 or something similar.
Dia-Compe 287V levers are the ones you're thinking of. I have them on my project bike and like them a lot. They aren't the prettiest levers, nor the most highly finished, but they work a dream with V-brakes. They are a standard aero lever and I'm running them with bar-end shifters. They might not be ideal for people with small hands.
Old 02-01-05, 08:44 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
Originally Posted by craiginho
for searching thru the archives on this forum, it looks like this topic has been discussed at length, but i haven't found an answer to this.

from my understanding, if you want to use v-brakes w/ drop bars & road brake levers you need travel agent to get the proper pull from the lever. does this decrease the effectiveness of the brake? and in this set up will you get better stopping power with canti's or v-brakes?

(and if it matters i'm running 700c tires)
I guess the big question is, are you hoping to use STI levers (shift/brake combination levers)? I was assuming you were. Maybe you aren't, this changes the answers.
Old 02-01-05, 10:02 AM
cbike_47909

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
I agree with the previous post on saving some grief and going with cantis. The newer canti utilize the same brake pads as V brakes allowing for much easier adjustment.
Charlie