Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

frame fit cube peloton long legs short torso

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-13, 02:18 AM
Clumsy Climber

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am looking into purchasing a cube peloton and would appreciate some advice on fitting. I am 178cm tall (5ft10) but have an inseam (pubic bone to floor) of 86cm (34 inches), putting me in the high legs:torso length ratio category. According to the online fitting calculator at https://www.competitivecyclist.com the following frame sizing would fit me well:

The Eddy Fit (cm)
-------------------------------------------
Seat tube range c-c: 56.9 - 57.4
Seat tube range c-t: 58.6 - 59.1
Top tube length: 54.6 - 55.0
Stem Length: 10.1 - 10.7
BB-Saddle Position: 72.9 - 74.9
Saddle-Handlebar: 54.7 - 55.3
Saddle Setback: 7.5 - 7.9

Looking at the cube peloton frame sizing at https://www.cube.eu/en/road/road-race/peloton-pro/ I believe that the choice is between the 56cm and 58cm frames (the cube website sizing puts me ideally at ~57.2cm based on my inseam length). The question is: which would be better? Obviously modifications might be necessary to both setups.

56cm: could raise seatpost and get a longer stem if necessary
58cm: change to a shorter stem

As I won't actually be racing but rather riding for fun I don't mind raising the handlebars, leading to a relaxed geometry, if this would help i.e. comfort is more important than performance for me.

Another consideration is that riders in various forums and reviews claim that the peloton frame "feels" small and often size up.

Will talk to the LBS next week but would also appreciate some input from cube owners and/or similarly long-legged cyclists.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Clumsy Climber; 06-23-13 at 02:21 AM.
Old 06-23-13, 07:09 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hopefully your LBS will have both for you to test; my SUGGESTION is the 58, but your actual experience will trump that.
Old 06-24-13, 01:26 AM
Dfrost 

Bikes: ‘87 Marinoni SLX Sports Tourer, ‘79 Miyata 912 by Gugificazione

Mentioned: 166 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 256 Posts
I'll bet that you would find that top tube + stem length recommendation to be pretty stretched out. You say that you're more interested in a relaxed riding position. I would recommend getting the larger frame size so that the bars will be easier to get up where you'd like them, but watch TT length pretty carefully as a priority in the frame selection. And be certain that your LBS doesn't try to talk you into a more aggressive position than you want.

I also have rather long legs/short torso (6'1" tall, 90cm pubic bone height as I recall; seat height is 81 cm above the BB spindle). I typically prefer a 62-64 cm frame, and find that a TT of 58-59 cm is about right, with an 8-9 cm stem and the bars at or slightly below seat height. When I was younger and more flexible I felt that I could handle a lower bar and longer stem, but wish that I hadn't because my neck, back and shoulders are much more comfortable now.

You will also probably find that you like the seat back a ways, maybe even more than that recommendation. My saddle tips are 9-10.5 cm behind the BB. Forward of that makes me slide forward on the saddle. My bike with a 72 degree ST was no problem, but that old Miyata with a 74 degree ST was never really comfortable until I got a saddle on a seat post that I could slide way back. Now its great and very comfortable. Several other "tricks" for people with our proportions: try handlebars with shorter reach and rotate the levers up on the bars to noticeably shorten the reach.
Old 06-24-13, 10:25 AM
Clumsy Climber

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for the input! Sounds like great advice, especially on how to adjust non-obvious things like horizontal saddle position and rotated bars. I doubt I would have thought of that.