Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

24" Commuter/Slick Tires?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-11, 01:10 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 2,540 Posts

Hi all,

I just got my soon-to-be-8 YO (fairly tall) a 24" MTB (Haro V-Bone) off of Craigslist. He loves to ride, but he still has quite a hard time keeping up with his older brother. Now one of the advantages his older brother has (beyond just being older), is that I outfitted his MTB with 26" slick tires, which allow him to roll much smoother.

I'd like to get some 24" slicks, or at least commuter tires, to replace the knobbly MTB tires. But nashbar.com has nothing for 24", performancebike.com only offers off-road -- anybody know of any make/model of a 24" tire I can look into?
Old 09-20-11, 08:53 AM
sailor2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kenda and Cheng Shin make commuter 24 tires.
What size do you need?
Few examples:
https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-Black-St...dp/B002XXOPC6/
https://www.amazon.com/Kenda-K123-Bla...dp/B003ZURUI2/
https://www.amazon.com/Cheng-Shin-Str...dp/B000C17QY0/
Old 09-20-11, 10:08 AM
Jyyanks

Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk for me and a Citizen Gothic for my daughter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Hi all,

I just got my soon-to-be-8 YO (fairly tall) a 24" MTB (Haro V-Bone) off of Craigslist. He loves to ride, but he still has quite a hard time keeping up with his older brother. Now one of the advantages his older brother has (beyond just being older), is that I outfitted his MTB with 26" slick tires, which allow him to roll much smoother.

I'd like to get some 24" slicks, or at least commuter tires, to replace the knobbly MTB tires. But nashbar.com has nothing for 24", performancebike.com only offers off-road -- anybody know of any make/model of a 24" tire I can look into?
Sorry - I can't help with your tire question but hoping you can help me (how is that for thread hijacking?- sorry!) I have a 48 inch 6 year old and am currently looking to get him a bike with 20" tires. Based on a response from another user on this forum, I'm thinking I may have to look at a 24". How tall is your 8 year old and does he "fit" the 24 inch bike or is it still a bit big for him? Thanks!
Old 09-20-11, 11:57 AM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Thanks so much sailor2! After I posted I did find:
https://www.everybicycletire.com/Shopping/c-17-24.aspx
But I was not looking forward to paying those prices!
I never thought to check Amazon, those are just what I was looking for -- and the price is right too!
Old 09-20-11, 12:10 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Jyyanks
I have a 48 inch 6 year old and am currently looking to get him a bike with 20" tires. Based on a response from another user on this forum, I'm thinking I may have to look at a 24". How tall is your 8 year old and does he "fit" the 24 inch bike or is it still a bit big for him? Thanks!
Hey Jyyanks, no worries. My 8YO is definitely taller than 48", I haven't actually measured him lately, but I would guess 54" at least. He's half a head taller than all his classmates. So if you're asking technically, maybe the 24" bike doesn't "fit" him in the sense of a trained physiological fitting. Take a look at the bike:
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...Bone&Type=bike
and you will see that the seat tube is quite short, which allows me to put the seat low for him. I've got only about an inch of seat post showing, and he definitely looks like a little kid on a big bike, but he gets around just fine and is comfortable (and excited).

Unfortunately, there's a big difference between 20" and 26", and that difference is only split by the occasional 24" bike, but those are pretty rare it seems (not common enough to provide demand for a wide variety of tires!) I've never heard of a 22" to fit in that middle space.

To get back to your question; my third son, who will be 6 in November, is riding a 20" Trek MTB. He is _very_ tall (almost caught up to the middle son). I know he is more than 48" because he was about 48.5" summer 2010 when we went to a water park and he met the 48" height requirement for all the rides. For him I think the 20" is a good fit, and the 24" would be a difficult stretch, and probably the 24" also too much of a stretch for your 6yo.

For my 8yo I see the 24" as a little bit of a stretch for now, that he'll be able to grow through over the next 3 years at least. As I mentioned, my 11yo is riding a 26" MTB with the seat all the way down.

Somebody should (has anybody ever?) start a thread of "How tall are your children, and what size bike do you have them riding?". Seems like that would be very useful and could perhaps even be made sticky.
Old 09-20-11, 12:58 PM
Jyyanks

Bikes: Dahon Boardwalk for me and a Citizen Gothic for my daughter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RubeRad
Hey Jyyanks, no worries. My 8YO is definitely taller than 48", I haven't actually measured him lately, but I would guess 54" at least. He's half a head taller than all his classmates. So if you're asking technically, maybe the 24" bike doesn't "fit" him in the sense of a trained physiological fitting. Take a look at the bike:
https://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...Bone&Type=bike
and you will see that the seat tube is quite short, which allows me to put the seat low for him. I've got only about an inch of seat post showing, and he definitely looks like a little kid on a big bike, but he gets around just fine and is comfortable (and excited).

Unfortunately, there's a big difference between 20" and 26", and that difference is only split by the occasional 24" bike, but those are pretty rare it seems (not common enough to provide demand for a wide variety of tires!) I've never heard of a 22" to fit in that middle space.

To get back to your question; my third son, who will be 6 in November, is riding a 20" Trek MTB. He is _very_ tall (almost caught up to the middle son). I know he is more than 48" because he was about 48.5" summer 2010 when we went to a water park and he met the 48" height requirement for all the rides. For him I think the 20" is a good fit, and the 24" would be a difficult stretch, and probably the 24" also too much of a stretch for your 6yo.

For my 8yo I see the 24" as a little bit of a stretch for now, that he'll be able to grow through over the next 3 years at least. As I mentioned, my 11yo is riding a 26" MTB with the seat all the way down.

Somebody should (has anybody ever?) start a thread of "How tall are your children, and what size bike do you have them riding?". Seems like that would be very useful and could perhaps even be made sticky.
This is EXTREMELY helpful. Thank you.