Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

small fishing kit

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

small fishing kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-13, 11:20 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
small fishing kit

I hope this is the right area After not riding in a few years I am back to riding first for my health plus I just like to ride . One of the other thing I like is to fish. I often fish a small colapsable panfish pole ultra light line and small jigs for panfish . A lot of the places I ride have places to fish too! so I made a me a stay on the bike kit
The pvc tube holds a 8 foot colapsable pole a roll of 3.5LB test fly line leader altoids small tin with jigs, small hooks, sinkers and power bait grubs in the side pocket of my trunk bag
Old 03-28-13, 11:44 AM
sailor2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice setup. How do you carry the fish home?
Old 03-28-13, 11:57 AM
plumberroy

Bikes: Surly long haul trucker, Surly steamroller,Huffy Catalina, Univega Alpina 501. Gravity deadeye monster, Raliegh sport , Electra loft 1

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by sailor2
Nice setup. How do you carry the fish home?
I am not a big fish eater so I generally release the fish I do have a meijers reuseable bag that has eyelets with brass gromets and carbiners to hang off the rack. Fish could be put in ziplocks and hauled in that. Due to budget they have quit stocking trout in the one park I frequient . I usually keep trout . The one park I go to has a wall about 300 yards long I jig for crappie and gills. I have caught many stocked trout with this set up
Roy
Old 04-03-13, 11:24 PM
RickBlane

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ronco Pocket Fisherman

Laugh all you guys like but of all the money I have spent over my fishing life this is by far the best money I have ever spent. Fits in every bag and backpack I have. I have one on my bike at all times.

Exelent review at the link below. Nice bike links there too. For the price you can't go wrong. Read the info do your research make your own mind up.

https://thefrugalhamstercyclist.blogspot.com/
Old 04-09-13, 05:42 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a home-made pack rods. They vary depending on use. All carbon fibre. I've got a combo fly/spin based on a 4pc fly blank that works great for panfish and trout. Small TiNitride coated guides with no ceramic insert makes it durable against drops and still allows for distance. I can shoot 6wt WF floating line or cast 4 - 6 lb mono. For finesse worming, I have a 7ft, 3pc casting rod with fast taper that can set the hook okay w 12 - 17 lb braided line on a baitcaster, or sometimes, I bring a spincast reel like the Zebco 20/10 or 20/20 which is fairly low profile. And for light saltwater at a pier or when I'm fishing after work in SF bay for sharks/batrays/stripers, I have a similar 7 ft casting rod, but the heaviest they make, almost like a pack muskie rod. Beefy. But packs really small. All of them attach to the top tube with just velcro straps and I bring minimal tackle that fits, like the OP, into a trunk bag on the rear rack. And it's all catch-n-release.

I've tried the ronco pocket fisherman. It can work, but if you're making a short pit-stop on a trans-continental bike tour in Lower Mainland, BC, and see pink salmon jump off the sea wall in West Vancouver, the Ronco will not likely to do well. But my 7 ft finesse rod - spinning version, unpacks, and with 17 lb braid throwing a size 1.5 buzz bomb, can land lots of salmon and even play a 30 lb+ chinook. Landing a big chinook is unlikely. But at least the gear handles it without issues, although braid can get expensive if a big fish spools you.