Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Best cleat 4 walking - not SPD

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Best cleat 4 walking - not SPD

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-21, 06:03 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by patnoe
I guess my thinking went like this: "why would 90% of road riders have cleats where they have to awkwardly walk around every time they get off their bike when they could have SPD? There must be clear advantages to the various road systems. I wonder if one system might be a little better for walking than others while still offering those advantages?"
Road shoes/cleats are optimized for professionals who are riding 200+ km stages and capable of putting out >1200W sprints. They walk from the bus, to the bike parked next to the bus, and that's it. Road pedals/shoes are lighter, have marginally better power transfer, marginally more secure contact, and are significantly less comfortable to walk in.
Road shoes are great for many riders, who unload the bike from the car, swap shoes, ride 50k to a coffee stop, have a coffee, then ride 50k back and swap shoes. Plain old SPD are much better if you're regularly going to walking more than 100yds at one time.
Old 03-23-21, 08:26 PM
Teletim

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Frogs

The 2 bolt mtb pedal I find to be most like road pedals are the Speedplay Frogs. Very solid platform and light weight. And I want to agree with the earlier post that it helps to have a high end/carbon soled mtb shoe.
Old 03-24-21, 03:09 PM
blinky

Bikes: 2003 Litespeed Tuscany with Ultegra R-8000 components

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
I just went from Look all around to Shimano SPD-SL - just ordered Shimano cleat covers from Amazon , had covers for the Look cleats as well , they save the plastic from getting too chewed up by the road .