Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Help identify this vintage steel bike (Campy)

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-21, 05:00 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts

Can anyone help shed some details on this bike. It belonged to my late uncle, I'm trying to figure out how much it's worth.
I'm looking to sell the bike, as I already have a full suite of bikes and don't need another.

I believe it was purchased new or lightly in the SF Bay Area, potentially from a local frame builder. The frame has no marking or decals other than the Reynolds decals.
The head & seat tubes are actually a distinctly darker red than the other tubes.
I'm hoping someone on here can recognize the lugs and help identify the builder.

Campy Record shifters and derailleurs.
Stronglite cranks.
Brakes are Record levers with Shimano dual-pivot calipers.
Mavic Open Pro rims laced to Record hubs.

Old 05-22-21, 06:05 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

cycle appears it may have begun its existance as an early 1970's Peugeot PX-10E prior to being reworked and placed in its present configuration

one simple check which could be made is to see if there is a hardwood plug residing in the bottom of the steerer

-----
Old 05-22-21, 07:03 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
...you can measure the diameter of the tubing and see if it's metric standard or not. I don't know of any American builders who used metric tubing.
That's been repainted, so the paint and the stickers won't tell you much, but it does look like it might have started life as a Peugeot. They used metric 531, and that kind of fork crown.
Old 05-22-21, 09:01 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

cycle appears it may have begun its existance as an early 1970's Peugeot PX-10E prior to being reworked and placed in its present configuration

one simple check which could be made is to see if there is a hardwood plug residing in the bottom of the steerer

-----
Thanks, I'll check for that! Any idea what it would be worth?
Old 05-22-21, 09:12 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

that fact that it has been fairly heavily reworked renders a valuation more difficult

most shoppers searching for a vintage Peugeot PX-10 would like to find an example which is completly stock...or at least as little changed as possible

all of the upgrades which have been performed are high quality desirable items which might help the value for the right shopper

shall leave any valuation to the experts

-----
Old 05-23-21, 12:04 AM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,383 Times in 7,211 Posts
...the reason you might have information there was a local frame guy involved is that there are some alterations done to the frame in order to make the Campagnolo derailleurs work on that frame.

And having done those alterations by brazing, the paint in those spots was burned...so a full repaint was done. Not sure why the two shades of red ? If you look at the drive side rear dropout, somehow a stop was probably added for a Campy rear deraillleur position. Which would not have been integral to those Simplex rear dropouts. Likewise, I think the cable run fitting for the front derailleur is probably added on there. All of this is guessing from little information.

I can't help you with a value, either. Most people looking for a PX-10 are not looking for one that's been customized up like that. But I would think that because it's all upgrades to Campy, you might be able to get about the same money...IME the nicer PX-10's used to list for in the neighborhood of $400 on CL in the Bay area. The paint is an issue, and will probably make it harder to market at that price. But the components might offset that, for the right buyer.