Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Which Tire Brand?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-22, 06:10 AM
ejism

Bikes: '95 Trek MultiTrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Which Tire Brand?

Replacing original Trek Invert 2 (700 x 38) tires for trails & around town. Recommendations/experiences?

1995 Trek MultiTrack 750
Matrix Journey 700c Rims

thanks

Last edited by ejism; 04-10-22 at 06:55 AM.
Old 04-10-22, 08:15 AM
ehcoplex 

Bikes: '38 Schwinn New World, ’69 Peugeot PX-10, '72 Peugeot PX-10, ‘7? Valgan, '78 Raleigh Comp GS, ’79 Holdsworth Pro, ’80 Peugeot TH-8 tandem, '87 Trek 400T, ‘7? Raleigh Sports, ‘7? Raleigh Superbe, ‘6? Hercules

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 1,563 Times in 757 Posts
Foolishly expensive, but Rene Herse tires are great. Supple, fast and comfortable. A set of Barlow Pass 38s transformed the ride on my Cannondale, and have been great on pavement and gravel.
Likes For ehcoplex:
Old 04-10-22, 08:27 AM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Panaracer Gravel King SK
Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-10-22, 08:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
I tour on road and “gravel” as well as ride/commute around town on Conti Top Contact II tires. The II is key as there is a lesser model. Inverse tread. The size sold as 35c is actually 37c. Usually available from biketiresdirect.com. Not cheap, but worth it. I’ve flatted twice since 2017.
Old 04-10-22, 08:49 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Gravel King Slicks (file thread & different from the SK version). They have three basic versions in terms of the amount of thread(though GK models have really increased in the last couple years). The Slick (herringbone/file thread), the SS (semi-slick), and the SK (small knobs). They are all fast tires. If you're riding mainly roads and rail-trail surfaces(hardpack fine stone) then I's suggest the Slicks or Semi-Slick SS. They come in 38mm tires as well as many other widths. Avoid the "plus" versions unless you're really avoiding any chance of flats. The plus versions are heavier and not as fast..the nature of flat-resistant tires.
Old 04-10-22, 09:14 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,437 Times in 819 Posts
I really like the GK SS tires. I also am a fan of Vittoria Rubino tires. Like GK's, they come in a wide variety of sizes. I ride good paved roads 90% of the time, ergo, I do not need more aggressive treads. I have the 35mm on my bike that I use if I am going to do a multi-surface ride. For good smooth surfaces I prefer 28 to 32 mm, depending on the tire. There are a lot of good tires available for bikes these days. Your choice of tires should take into consideration what kind of riding you do, and your price point, along with the quality of the tires. Sometimes one just has to take a chance and try what looks like would fill the needs at an acceptable price. As in all things, cost does not necessarily mean quality, or lack of. I tend to stay in the mid to mid-high price as that is what I find to be best for me. That, of course, is subjective. No big surprise, the cost of tires, especially premium grade, has gone up considerably.
I have also found that if riding tubed clinchers, good quality inner tubes make a difference in protection and ride quality. I have become a user of latex tubes for most of my rides. For me, it is the smooth ride more than any weight savings. IME, if one is careful mounting the tubes and tires, latex is no more subject to flats than butyl tubes.
If you are looking to go tubeless, I have no experience or opinion. I have no need or desire to go that route.
Old 04-10-22, 09:22 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Continental Contact Plus...Great all around tire for pavement and gravel, good price, good puncture resistance, durable.
Old 04-10-22, 10:44 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10965 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
American Classic tires- sold direct on Amazon.
Panaracer Gravelking SS

For the type of riding it sounds like you will do, these are a good mix of cost and quality.
Old 04-10-22, 06:28 PM
Kedosto
Callipygian Connoisseur

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
For the applications you described, another vote for Continental Top Contact II’s. Outstanding weight, performance, flat resistance, grip, and tread life. They’re not the cheapest, nor the most expensive. And bonus, they’re easy to mount too!
Likes For Kedosto:
Old 04-10-22, 06:48 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,836 Times in 2,229 Posts
If 'no flats' is a primary objective = Schwalbe Marathon series. Several tread designs for the size you need. Not a sublime ride (my preference) but drop the pressure a bit and it's not an issue, given the primary objective. I run them on my tandem in 32mm. On occasion with 380lbs of humans + gear.

E-Bike, Touring & Road Bike Tires | Schwalbe Tires NA

I scrolled and the 'original' Marathon road tire - not the Marathon Plus models - sells for $43. Maybe deals out there, IDK.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-10-22 at 06:57 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-10-22, 07:32 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,566 Times in 7,334 Posts
Originally Posted by Kedosto
For the applications you described, another vote for Continental Top Contact II’s. Outstanding weight, performance, flat resistance, grip, and tread life. They’re not the cheapest, nor the most expensive. And bonus, they’re easy to mount too!
Thanks for mentioning the ease of mounting. I had forgotten about that.

I have ridden all sorts on terrain on them fully loaded, including a 15 mile unpaved mountain pass in Montana. Performance is terrific.
Old 04-11-22, 07:06 AM
fishboat

Bikes: Lemond '01 Maillot Jaune, Lemond '02 Victoire, Lemond '03 Poprad, Lemond '03 Wayzata DB conv(Poprad), '79 AcerMex Windsor Carrera Professional(pur new), '88 GT Tequesta(pur new), '01 Bianchi Grizzly, 1993 Trek 970 DB conv, Trek 8900 DB conv

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 759 Post(s)
Liked 810 Times in 471 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Thanks for mentioning the ease of mounting. I had forgotten about that.

I have ridden all sorts on terrain on them fully loaded, including a 15 mile unpaved mountain pass in Montana. Performance is terrific.
Sound like nice tires. How do they wear(great performance & short life or good performance and long lived..etc..)?

The GK Slicks offer very good performance (fast tire with minimal flats in my experience), but depending on the rider weight (I'm 200+) they can have a shorter life. They're inexpensive though ($72/pr) so not a big deal. The Slicks and the Top Contact II's are not comparable though..different tires. The GK SS may be a closer comparison, though I haven't ridden them long enough to find out how long they last. Schwalbe Little Big Bens..might be a good comparison..fast tire, nice ride with reasonably good off road performance. Long lived..so far. ( I run 26x2.15 Big Bens on my touring bike, wonderful tires and good on gravel too)
Old 04-11-22, 07:07 AM
ejism

Bikes: '95 Trek MultiTrack 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the input. I've decided to go with the Marathon Plus. Not a high mileage rider so, if no factory defects, tire should last me for years.

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice.