Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Park FR-18 Vs. FR-1, FR-11, etc.

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 09:28 AM
Papa Tom

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 136 Posts

A large bike shop in my area is having its End-Of-Season Sale today and I just got back with a couple of tools I am having second thoughts about.

I needed to replace the chain whip I use to remove my 7-speed cassette, so I took the first one the salesman handed me, which I thought was the only one out there. It's a Park FR-18, which, upon closer inspection of the package, is designed for freewheel removal. I Googled it a few minutes ago and found that the FR-1 and FR-11 are both listed as "cassette removal" whips. Is there a problem using the FR-18 on my Shimano HG 7-speed cassette? I don't see much difference between this and any other chain whip.

I also bought a new FR-5 Lockring Remover. It's actually the FR-5G, the one with the guide pin through the middle. Of course, not until I got it home did I have that "duuuuuuh" moment when I realized I cannot use this on wheels that aren't quick-release. I guess that's OK, as this won't affect our main bikes, but it means I have to use my old (semi-stripped) FR-5 anytime I do a favor for someone with a non-quick-release wheel. Anyway, the question is: I initially wanted a lockring remover with a long handle attached so I don't have to screw around with a lock wrench or vice. Is there a lockring remover out there (doesn't have to be Park) for standard Shimano cassettes that fits this bill?
Old 10-08-16, 10:24 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Chainwhips are universal and there is no such thing as one dedicated to a freewheel or a cassette. One size fits all. The FR5G can be converted to a non-pinned FR5 by driving out the centering pin. Place the FR5G, pin up, over a vise opened just far enough to clear the head of the pin assembly and drive out the pin with a mallet.
Old 10-08-16, 10:49 AM
Papa Tom

Originally Posted by HillRider
The FR5G can be converted to a non-pinned FR5 by driving out the centering pin. Place the FR5G, pin up, over a vise opened just far enough to clear the head of the pin assembly and drive out the pin with a mallet.
Or I can just exchange it for the FR5. But now that I've made chopped meat out of the FR5G package, I've got to put on my sad puppy face to return it.

Thanks for confirming what I suspected about the chain whip.
Old 10-08-16, 12:57 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4212 Post(s)
Liked 3,883 Times in 2,318 Posts
The only spec differences that chain whips do have is the chain size. Some will use 1/8" chains, some will use 5,6,7 speed width chains and some likely now have 10, 11 speed chain widths. Cramming a wide chain onto the middle cogs of a narrow spaced cassette is a pain but better then not having a whip with a wide enough chain... Andy.
Old 10-08-16, 02:45 PM
Papa Tom

The SR-18 (sorry, I've been calling the "FR-18") only says that it will "fit 1/8" Fixed Gear Sprockets." It makes no mention of chain size, but I did notice that the chain segments appear a little wider than my 7-speed chain. When I brought this up with the salesman, he barked at me like I had insulted him. "It fits any chain, man!"
Old 10-08-16, 02:51 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
OK, chainwhips aren't as universal as I said. A chainwhip for a 1/8" singlespeed/track/fixie chain is going to be an excessively tight fit if used for cogs using a 3/32" derailleur chain. You need an SR-1, SR-11 or SR-2.2. The salesman was wrong too. Take it back and have the shop give you the right one.
Old 10-08-16, 04:57 PM
Papa Tom

I've Googled it a little further and the general consensus (I did not say "the truth") seems to be that the SR18 is OK for a 7-speed chain, as long as you use it on the largest cog, which provides the best leverage anyway.

I just returned the FR5G and took home an FR5, even though I had already ordered a lockring remover from Nashbar that seems to fit all my original specs (attached handle). So now I'll have two of these, but I didn't have the heart to take a refund from the store where the salesman had spent so much time with me.

At least it was only $5 on sale.
Old 10-08-16, 10:10 PM
Kaze6

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For $5, I would have kept it, especially if you have the other tool on the way.

I discovered a long time ago that the tool you expect to never use turns out to be one you wear out.
Old 10-08-16, 10:58 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Kaze6
I discovered a long time ago that the tool you expect to never use turns out to be one you wear out.
I will concur with that! Conversely, I purchased a Park chain whip a few years ago and have never had the need to use it.

Dan

Last edited by _ForceD_; 10-09-16 at 05:58 AM.