Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Mom 66 looking for bike to tool around on

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-13, 05:35 PM
TinyCycler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My mom has the opportunity to buy specifically a Specialized Crossroads Sport Low entry bike with credit card bonuses. Does anyone have experience with this bike or this brand? Would it be worth her points?

Thanks!
Old 06-07-13, 07:12 PM
DX-MAN
Banned

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't have any PERSONAL experience with this bike; but I AM familiar with Specialized, good brand, and a pic I found of the bike looks pretty good. I'm a straight-up mountain bike nut, but I know I can ride silly forever, and when my day comes (when I have to be more 'tame'), I'd look HARD at a bike like this. Given your mom's age (not trying to be insulting), this would be a sweet choice for her.

I WISH I could sell bikes like that on my job, instead of the crap that I DO....
Old 06-07-13, 07:35 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 1591 Post(s)
Liked 1,020 Times in 572 Posts
Great bike for the stated purpose. Specialized is one of the market leaders and they make good stuff.
Old 06-10-13, 09:07 AM
sailor2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's an entry level hybrid from Specialized. The specs are changing through the years, but it's a decent bike. I have a '99 Crossroads with about 20k miles on it, little rickety, but the frame is still good (Although basically everything was replaced as it was wearing out - I'm on a second set of wheels, second BB, second grip shift, second set of cranks and third cassette). Newer Crossroads have lower stand-over height - but for a tooling around I would recommend Crossroads Step Through.
Old 06-10-13, 05:54 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 182 Posts
rather weight bike

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...ossroads-Sport
https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...-Mo-Very-clean

Here are two links to previous posts on this bike in bikeforums. I was looking to see just what this bike weighs. The 2007 men's version weighs 38.6 pounds. Bikepedia lists the 2013 bike but doesn't list a weight. Many manufacturers don't reveal weights for two reasons. One is that larger frames weigh more and so a single weight isn't accurate for the entire range of frames. The other reason is that they would rather you not know the answer in advance. 38.6 pounds is lot of weight to pedal. It is around the same as many of the cheaper mass- merchandiser bikes. The lighter the bike, the less work it takes to ride and the more pleasurable to ride.
Old 07-16-13, 11:21 AM
1987cp
Albatross bars are cool!!

Bikes: 1984 Cannondale ST; 1975 Raleigh Grand Prix; mystery Nashbar tandem MTB; 1991 Paramount Series 20 PDG (in bits); 1984 Raleigh Record (in smaller bits, needs dropout repair); 1985 Raleigh Alyeska (wrecked, needs downtube repair)

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Is the Crossroads the one that's similar to the 2011-ish Globe Carmel models now that their Globe brand is gone? My wife got a "Carmel 3" on clearance and loves it - especially since it's got Rapidfire shifters and she hates grip shifts as much as I do (both the bikes I ride regularly have upright bars with friction barends). Says it's the first time she's ever ridden a bike and not been in constant pain. I think the Carmel is a little weird, and I don't see the point in the boingy fork or seatpost, but it's a good bike, and uses normal components like a quill stem and square-taper crank, and she doesn't seem to care a bit about it being heavy.