Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

My new 1998 GT STS-1000 full suspension - carbon/aluminum

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

My new 1998 GT STS-1000 full suspension - carbon/aluminum

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-12, 01:38 PM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotte
Of course, I wouldn't win any races, but I'm 48 now, and not looking to.
Was there a memo I missed ? I'm 57 and I'm still looking to win a few.
Old 10-18-12, 02:24 PM
Gotte

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Wow, you are old, you mentioned a memo. I bet all those young guys are scratching their head at the mention of that. You'll be telling me next you heard about the memo on your pager
Old 10-18-12, 02:56 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
BUT, I like AMC/Ramblers! My first car was an Ambassador. I think M. Romney put the seats in it himself. There is a Javelin in a junk yard on the road to Kingman. I'm think I'm gonna buy it just for the sake of this thread. AMC rocks! So does that bike, specially ...... well, it rocks.

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 10-18-12, 03:03 PM
Daspydyr 
Pedals, Paddles and Poles

Bikes: Santa Cruz Tallboy, Ridley Noah, Scott Spark 20

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by dminor
Still hitting the AARP Circuit, EH? Yeah most of those guys are "going downhill!"

I can't even find my bike when I'm on drugs. -Willie N.
Old 10-19-12, 03:34 AM
Gotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not the exact same bike, but lot of folks on here seem to like the LTS:

https://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-sus...x.aspx#reviews
Old 10-24-12, 04:59 AM
Groundoggy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by THE ARS
I don't believe you.

Do you really think you'd get your money back on a 67 SS?

After 45 years of dry storage plus inflation?

You don't know what you're talking about.

So be quiet.

Tom
...why include some mythical 'dry storage' fee? If you have room in the garage it's free. You lose. Do you have any idea what a NOS 1967 Camaro SS would go for?

Since we're talking old GT's I've had one I've been building that is nearly ridable I'll give the h8rs a little taste of. (apologies for the 'threadjacking' but responses have slowed a bit and 'retro MTB' threads are few and far between here)

When have you last seen a NOS blue Kore Elite seat post and stem paired up? NOS Onza CWA bar ends? Yummy! NOS blue ano Real brake levers, old school M-732 thumbies, Profile Bar None bar (have Hyperlites in black and silver but part of the logo got covered so not a great choice with Kore Elite stem). Englund Total Air upgrades in a Judy fork. Who still has NOS Gore Ride On cables with the yellow liners? Oh that's right - I do! You remember red label Selle Italia Flites with perforated leather seats? Comfy! WTF are those brakes peeking out? Russ Crystal???? Hello! Kooka cranks and Odyssey Svelte pedals (the good kind with black spindles - they seem to have cheapened at some point). Notice the old school logo on the Cane Creek headset? None of that new logo garbage allowed.

...and then there's the parts I didn't use on this build. Yet.

It's like a time machine with knobbies! I'm a little bummed with that Salsa seatpost clamp you can still buy today. I have a black Ringle hole clamp that fits but the blue seemed a better fit given the blue headset (although I do have that old logo headset in black as well...hmmmm). Such is the life of the retro grouch. The hunt continues.

Bought the surprisingly nice condition frame with some low end parts mish mash and no wheels for $140 after negotiations - but it DID have a NOS Regina chain on it and those go for about $100 on eBay routinely. The white 'GT' stickers have been replaced with NOS stickers. The yellow stickers are original since my replacement set had all white lettering (via eBay - considered replacing them as well but the big GT labels were trashed - the yellow wasn't too bad and I bought another full set of the white to replace if needed). The seatpost and stem I sort of got soaked on paying $140 for the lot (had Kore Elite stem and seatpost in black at bargain prices but black didn't look right so I splurged). The rest of the parts were mostly bargain hunting I could flip for a profit easy had I not used the parts. I build what I call 'thousand dollar riders' but realize few would pay that for the complete bike. Bottom line - if I wanted to make a profit I wouldn't have built the bike up. Profit is made by buying and breaking old bikes or reselling parts you bargain hunt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PA240204.jpg (97.4 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Groundoggy; 10-28-12 at 04:11 AM.
Old 10-24-12, 01:02 PM
Gotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a beauty, Groundoggy. I've still got a pair of those old thumb shifters somewhere, from my first ever mountainbike. Suntour, if I remember correctly.

I notice you curl your brake cables as well (or are you just waiting to cut them?). It's something I've always done since a kid, the rational being, if you snap a rear cable, you can always uncoil the front one and swap it out.

Nice to see.
Old 10-26-12, 03:38 AM
Groundoggy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thx Gotte. The cables are curled because I haven't finished making final adjustments yet. It's the second Zaskar I've brought back to life with a 3rd frame for later. Certainly not rare but they're still great frames. Thumbies rule. With a friction option almost any wheelset can be used. Never was a Judy fork fan but with the Air upgrades it's not bad for XC and it was a good price. It may get swapped out later.
Old 10-27-12, 02:55 PM
Gotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I kind of figured the cables were because you hadn't cut them down yet. I got in the habit of keeping them long and looped from way back when. It was more a touring thing. back up, as I said, should one break. Also, I'm cheap. But there you go. And you are right, thumies do rule. Simplicity makes life on a bike so, well, simple.

Build looking great. Hope you have a blast on her.

All the best.