Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Aero bars for a rookie?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Aero bars for a rookie?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-13, 07:55 PM
androidtt

Bikes: Felt F1C

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ksisler
Just another reason for folks to throw rocks at you. If you have an extra $50-100 to burn, try buying a meal for a couple of homeless folks. That will actually make a small difference...
lol smh

Originally Posted by SiqBird
I got aerobars when I did my first century. I ended up being more uncomfortable with them because I didn't have the fit right. They're meant for TT bikes. They're meant for TT geometry. They're meant for somebody that can handle having their back be parralel to the ground.
lol smh

Originally Posted by Will Goes Boing
Yesterday on a ride I saw a guy sitting nearly upright with aero bars on his bike.... don't be that guy. To utilize aero bars effectively first off you need your bike setup for TT position. Chances are on your bike even with the saddle scooted all the way forward you still wouldn't be able to get close enough. Secondly the position is NOT going to be comfortable and is not meant to be a "comfort riding position". Also if you're not going over 20mph you aren't going to fully reap the benefits of being in an aero position.
lol smh

aerodynamic benefits are aerodynamic benefits. i also know some people that use aero bars purely for comfort. they really don't care to go faster, but want more positions. also, a lot of people that have completely horizontal backs while in the TT position have gotten used to the position over time. not everyone needs to be horizontal to realize benefits. any way you can make your profile smaller, you can reap aero benefits.
Old 05-15-13, 09:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
60-80 miles per day isn't that far, and there's no reason you need aerobars to be comfortable doing it.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-16-13, 06:09 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Bikes: 2012 Cruzbike Sofrider, 2013 Cruzigami Mantis, 2016 Folding CruziTandem

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
60-80 miles per day isn't that far, and there's no reason you need aerobars to be comfortable doing it.
Doesn't that depend, well, a lot on the individual?
Old 05-16-13, 06:13 AM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You wouldn't notice any difference in speed unless your a pro rider.
Old 05-16-13, 06:19 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by alexaschwanden
Actually that is incorrect. I don't like the safety of them for newer riders, or riding in a group, but they will let you ride faster.
Old 05-16-13, 06:28 AM
vesteroid
Climbers Apprentice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cplager
Doesn't that depend, well, a lot on the individual?

Not nearly as much as the condition of the individual. I agree with scott, doing a metric a day is not crazy distance and I cant say I see any reason for areo bars. Also its not a race, there are plenty of hand options on regular bars, and you can simply take a break to get circulation going again if you need.

I think they add weight, and risk, for no real benefit on a group tour so to speak.
Old 05-16-13, 06:57 AM
AngrySaki
Socrates Johnson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I cant say I see any reason for areo bars
Aerobars are faster. How is that not a valid reason to use them?

I think they add weight, and risk, for no real benefit on a group tour so to speak.
Incase you missed it, the OP said he's not planning on doing any/many group rides.
Old 05-16-13, 07:09 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,177 Times in 1,468 Posts
Originally Posted by alexaschwanden
Did you make a mistake and think about something else? I've seen your posts before and you are knowledgeable. Actually this comment is right on the mark

Originally Posted by hhnngg1
You probably care less about the speed component, but if you ever do start to care, aerobars are the single biggest speed gaining increase you can make. Makes the aerodynamic gains of $2000 Zipp toroidal wheels look like chump change - easily over 2x the time savings.
Old 05-16-13, 07:52 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Can everyone who made negative comments about aerobars please state how many kilometers they have been riding and/or racing with them, please?

Making negative comments about something that you have little to no hands-on experience with isn't helpfull and I have a feeling most people just say what everyone else is saying when it comes to this subject.

I just LOVE aerobars ... for various reasons.
Nothing you say can change my mind about that because I know what I experience when I ride.
I've done about 2500 kilometers of training and about 5 races on them ... not that much ... but enough to know what I'm talking about.
I guess that about 70% of my riding is in the actual aerobar position, btw.

I might get a new roadbike this fall ... and the first thing I'll be installing once the basic build is completely are some nice shorty tri-legal aerobars
Old 05-16-13, 08:02 AM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by AdelaaR
Can everyone who made negative comments about aerobars please state how many kilometers they have been riding and/or racing with them, please?

Making negative comments about something that you have little to no hands-on experience with isn't helpfull and I have a feeling most people just say what everyone else is saying when it comes to this subject.

Nothing you say can change my mind about that because I know what I experience when I ride.
I've done about 2500 kilometers of training and about 5 races on them ... not that much ... but enough to know what I'm talking about.

I might get a new roadbike this fall ... and the first thing I'll be installing once the basic build is completely are some nice shorty tri-legal aerobars
Racing with them in mass starts - NONE. They are illegal.

Racing / riding with them on my tt bikes. Plenty.

Riding in group rides with them. None. I don't feel they are safe.

I can be as stubborn as you, nothing you can say will change my mind about the safety aspect of them in a group ride. You can do whatever you want with them when you aren't riding with me, doesn't affect me a bit.
Old 05-16-13, 08:03 AM
Elduderino2412
Tour De French Fries

Bikes: 2010 Cervelo R3 SL & 2013 Airborne Goblin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i don't have anything against aerobars, but you arent getting in my paceline w/them. That's the only thing i disagree w/you about. No aerobars and no bar top hand positions.
Old 05-16-13, 08:13 AM
JoelS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no opinion on them other to state that they aren't safe for rides that aren't solo. If you're riding with other people, stay off them. No immediate access to brakes, shifting, pointing out obstacles and other hazards, reduced control, etc. I don't allow aerobars or TT bikes (or music players for that matter) on group rides that I manage/run. If you're riding by yourself, do what makes you happy.

Some sort of pithy irrelevant one-liner should go here.
Old 05-16-13, 08:29 AM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by StanSeven
You can get your hands from bar ends to brakes pretty fast - probably as fast as something riding with their hands on the flat part of regular bars.
I don't do well with weight on my hands, but have no problems with weight on my elbows.
Add these two comments together and you can get a REALLY scary ride. Put on the aerobars if you want, either because they will make you more aero, or because you will have more position options, whatever. Just PLEASE don't think that riding on the aerobars is as safe as riding on the tops, hoods or in the drops. There are MANY reasons for this, but if you want to test it please do. Try riding over really rough road in each manner. Try panic stopping in each manner. Try signalling with one hand in each manner. Try executing sharp turns in each manner. Etc, etc, etc.
Old 05-16-13, 09:04 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by vesteroid
Not nearly as much as the condition of the individual. I agree with scott, doing a metric a day is not crazy distance and I cant say I see any reason for areo bars. Also its not a race, there are plenty of hand options on regular bars, and you can simply take a break to get circulation going again if you need.

My hands go numb when I put too much pressure on them. I wouldn't be able to feel them after 15 miles on a road bike. I'm not weak in my arms/hands, but this is how my body reacts. I found that I could use aerobars without any problem and my elbows would take the weight without any issues.

So I disagree.

I do understand not liking aerobars in group rides/crowded situations and that caution should be used there. But let's not throw out the baby with the bath water...

Originally Posted by island rider
Add these two comments together and you can get a REALLY scary ride.
That's a nice asinine statement (not to mention that in the rest of your post, you're arguing against something that nobody stated).

Riding in a paceline is much more dangerous than riding alone, no? There's a time and a place for different types of riding. Having aerobars give a different position that lets you change things up.

Last edited by cplager; 05-16-13 at 09:09 AM.
Old 05-16-13, 10:17 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
No, because we use miles.
Old 05-16-13, 10:21 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I've got an old set of clip on aerobars that I use on occasion, that occasion being when I do a 30 mile one way commute and when I do that I sure don't hop on them for the in city parts of the ride, but about 20 of the 30 is on non highway main roads with huge bike lanes or shoulders, the only danger is if someone tries to pass too close without calling out first. Aerobars are good, but only if you want them to be.
Old 05-16-13, 10:38 AM
hhnngg1

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Agree with the post above in that:

If you have never ridden with aerobars, or have barely used them, you really shouldn't be making blanket statements on aerobars based solely on what you've heard/read about.

Things that are hugely overstated by those who have never used them:
- They're SO DANGEROUS!!! Uhh, not. Not even close. They're actually extremely safe. Everyone who hasn't used them assumes people will be riding down someone's wheel in a paceline with hands off the brakes but that almost never happens - it's dicey enough to do that with your hands ON the brakes, so odds that a new aerobar user will draft inches from another fast wheel while on the aerobars is vanishingly low. And if you're confident enough to do that (like a team TT), you know what you're doing as well as the risks.

- They're SO UNCOMFORTABLE! I'll acknowledge that an aero position, aerobar or not, is generally lower than a more comfort position, but plenty of average or below-average athletes successfully ride the aerobars for 100+ mile rides, so you shouldn't be limited by comfort unless you have some major back issues (some older folks).

- They don't work unless you're going pro speed or 25+mph. Also totally incorrect. While the % gained in speed is indeed higher the faster you go, if you actually measure time saved, slower riders save just as much time as the speedy pros with aerobars over a given course since they're on the course for longer. Triathletes have looked very hard at this, and it turns out that because of this phenomena, there's essentially no difference in the total amount of time saved by pros or amateurs on a given course with aerobars. (The pros do finish faster so the % time saved is higher.)

I hear so much misinformation and righteousness about aerobars on this forum from people who have never used them that it's ridiculous.
Old 05-16-13, 10:56 AM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's a nice asinine statement (not to mention that in the rest of your post, you're arguing against something that nobody stated).
Nope. Read it again. I'm not arguing for or against anything. I am simply saying that if someone thinks that riding with their weight aerobars is as safe in all circumstances as riding with your hands on the tops of traditional bars, I would urge them to try the things I suggested. As long as you understand effects of what you are doing on bike handling, braking, etc. there shouldn't be any issues.

Having aerobars give a different position that lets you change things up.
Sure, which is why I said the OP should do whatever the hell they want. But your comment on supporting weight on your elbows (if feels better for you fine, I don't care) coupled with a person thinking they can get out of that position and into a safe braking position as quickly as they could with their hands on the tops would make for a dangerous rider.
Old 05-16-13, 11:43 AM
cplager
The Recumbent Quant

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by island rider
Nope. Read it again.
O.k. I'll upgrade your comment from asinine to a bit goofy. It's kind of like saying

I like riding at night
and

I close my eyes at night
From two completely different quotes and saying "Whoa! I wouldn't want to be that person."

Again, since I think we're now basically in agreement, I'll stop here.
Old 05-16-13, 12:28 PM
island rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
O.k. I'll upgrade your comment from asinine to a bit goofy. It's kind of like saying

and

From two completely different quotes and saying "Whoa! I wouldn't want to be that person."

Again, since I think we're now basically in agreement, I'll stop here.
I think you missed the point of what I was saying a bit. But I agree that we are pretty much in agreement. Like 'em? Then use 'em. But like anything else, understand the impact of your decision.
Old 05-16-13, 12:35 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Though hated by some, aero bars are generally fine for solo riding. They offer a different position for the rider and can improve speed. There is an insignificant weight penalty.

Aero bars are fine in a group if you are:
A) in a team time trial
B) in a training session with a small group of others who know all what they are doing.

Aero bars are not fine if you're:
C) in danger of colliding with another rider
D) potentially needing access to your brakes
E) needing more agile steering or road shock absorption.

That is all.
Old 05-16-13, 12:56 PM
ovoleg