Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Video: Cycling in the US from a Dutch Perspective

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Video: Cycling in the US from a Dutch Perspective

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-13, 10:09 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by dalava
And it's also very flat.
So his comparisons with Chicago, NYC and Davis are completely valid.

San Francisco is right out, mind.
Old 10-01-13, 10:11 AM
SirHustlerEsq

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Most of the vid is spot on. I don't like bike lanes because I don't want to travel on my bike at "bike lane speeds", I travel at car speeds or faster. I should also note that I was recently pulled over on my bike and warned by police for using the left lane of a four lane road to pass cars. This brings me to my second point, Americans in cars are disengaged from driving and city management dislike cyclists.
Old 10-01-13, 10:31 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
In all fairness to his video, I stopped watching about 1 min in when he shows two cyclists on what looks like a gorgeous mountain road, cycling two abreast where they shouldn't be, and he asks, "Why would anyone cycle here?". It is right after his little jab about cyclists using their cars to transport their bike to ride, and I am sure he is referring to the fast moving traffic and safety. However, if someone can't see the allure of riding on a road with mountains in the back ground, I am not keen to hear their "insights".
Old 10-01-13, 10:36 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Originally Posted by RollCNY
In all fairness to his video, I stopped watching about 1 min in when he shows two cyclists on what looks like a gorgeous mountain road, cycling two abreast where they shouldn't be, and he asks, "Why would anyone cycle here?". It is right after his little jab about cyclists using their cars to transport their bike to ride, and I am sure he is referring to the fast moving traffic and safety. However, if someone can't see the allure of riding on a road with mountains in the back ground, I am not keen to hear their "insights".
Agreed with that. His dismissive attitude to the notion that anyone would drive-to-ride really didn't lend to his credibility.
Old 10-01-13, 10:41 AM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Leinster
A lot of Davis cyclists commute (to class, to work, whatever) on the same bike that they go for a fitness ride (on the road, trail, in the park) on Sunday. Any maybe some of the people in lycra that he pokes fun at are actually heading out to the hills to go for a 2 hour training spin.
As someone who works in Davis, CA and rides there regularly, I thought it was pretty neat that he featured the town. Davis also has bike-specific traffic lights although there's only a few and they're near the off-campus freshman housing. I will say that Davis is a huge melting pot for cyclists, more diverse than any other small non-metropolitan city that I've seen. It's a college town with ~ 25,000 undergrads and you pretty much see everything on the road. There's an extremely active cycling club, there's multiple cycling teams and there are a whole lot of commuters.

It's also pretty easy to discern the difference between a commuter/college student going to class and one of the 'more serious' riders headed out of town to train. That's the lycra guy he references, I've yet to see a student in lycra going to class in the 4 years I've worked in town.
Old 10-01-13, 10:56 AM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stopped watching about 1 min in when he shows two cyclists on what looks like a gorgeous mountain road, cycling two abreast where they shouldn't be, and he asks, "Why would anyone cycle here?". It is right after his little jab about cyclists using their cars to transport their bike to ride, and I am sure he is referring to the fast moving traffic and safety. However, if someone can't see the allure of riding on a road with mountains in the back ground, I am not keen to hear their "insights".
It may have been a bit unfair to point out the riders two-abreast. But that road really doesn't have a good enough shoulder for safe riding. You and I may have ridden roads like that a lot. But the Dutch would have a separate pathway parallel to any road that wide or busy.
Tour de France notwithstanding, cyclists in Europe don't ride on multi lane highways. Alpine roads cyclists use in France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Germany are low speed affairs. No bikes allowed on the Autobahns.
Old 10-01-13, 11:06 AM
ConGrUenCy

Bikes: C'dale CAAD 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've read that Dutch drivers are taught to open the car door with the hand farther away from the door. In the US, you'd open the door with your right hand, since this will force you to turn around and look behind for approaching cyclists. This protects cyclists from being doored.
Old 10-01-13, 11:11 AM
Leinster

Originally Posted by Ferrous Bueller
It may have been a bit unfair to point out the riders two-abreast. But that road really doesn't have a good enough shoulder for safe riding. You and I may have ridden roads like that a lot. But the Dutch would have a separate pathway parallel to any road that wide or busy.
Tour de France notwithstanding, cyclists in Europe don't ride on multi lane highways. Alpine roads cyclists use in France, Spain, Italy, Austria, Germany are low speed affairs. No bikes allowed on the Autobahns.
Bikes aren't allowed on Freeways in the US either, and I've cycled on multi-lane highways in Ireland and France (and Australia); more often than not as a link to get to more bike-friendly roads, but it's far from uncommon to see cyclists on the shoulder in Europe, similar to those clips he showed in the US.

It's over 20 years since I last cycled in Holland, and I was 12 at the time, so I can't really comment on how separate the infra is there, but I'd bet there are places where a cyclist will ride unseparated from the traffic on a busy road. Again, though, that's where more courteous and understanding drivers come in; an Irish, Aussie or American driver might well try and run you off the road for transgressing onto his territory.
Old 10-01-13, 12:22 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's over 20 years since I last cycled in Holland, and I was 12 at the time, so I can't really comment on how separate the infra is there, but I'd bet there are places where a cyclist will ride unseparated from the traffic on a busy road.
I'll take that bet.
I lived there last year and for several years prior. Roadways as fast or busy as the one in the video would be classified as 'A Series'. Those are the Dutch Interstates. Bikes have separate pathways or roadways. Don't forget they've been spending 10% of their transportation budget on bike infrastructure.
The difference is real. I recommend another visit. But not now: wait until April/May .
Old 10-01-13, 12:58 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

I may be going off topic slightly, but there are many cultural differences in the US that also impact bicycle commuting, other than safety of riding alongside cars. Hygiene is an obsession in the US that can get in the way. I have an 11.5 mile commute, and I ride many times per year. My coworkers are not so much amazed that I ride, as they are amazed that I can't shower after the ride. In the cycling group that I ride with, many of them won't commute for the simple fact that they can't clean up before getting into their office clothes.

I am not defending or rationalizing, only saying that there are significant differences in cultural norms between the US and Europe, and building bike lanes won't do crap for many of them. Like the fact that most folks in the US assume that every bicycle commuter only does it because they are required by law to.
Old 10-01-13, 01:48 PM
Leinster

I may be going off topic slightly, but there are many cultural differences in the US that also impact bicycle commuting, other than safety of riding alongside cars. Hygiene is an obsession in the US that can get in the way. I have an 11.5 mile commute, and I ride many times per year. My coworkers are not so much amazed that I ride, as they are amazed that I can't shower after the ride. In the cycling group that I ride with, many of them won't commute for the simple fact that they can't clean up before getting into their office clothes.
That's not a cultural difference. I know plenty of people who work indoors in Europe (UK, France, Ireland) who don't commute by bike because they can't shower, or commute by bike because their office has showers. Some bring 5 clean shirts in on Monday and leave them at their desk etc. I used to ride the 6 miles each way to my job on a construction site in Dublin, and didn't feel the need to take a shower on arrival there. Similarly, I had no problem biking to work in Jack In The Box, because no matter how sweaty I was when I arrived, I was going to be worse, plus the added bonus of grease and other goodies, 5 minutes after starting my shift.
Old 10-01-13, 02:16 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts

I am not defending or rationalizing, only saying that there are significant differences in cultural norms between the US and Europe, and building bike lanes won't do crap for many of them. Like the fact that most folks in the US assume that every bicycle commuter only does it because they are required by law to.
This is the main reason I do not commute, a lack of showers at work. I could clean myself with a faucet / wet towel, but honestly, it isn't a shower. The Southwest US isn't Holland, and it can get into the 80's during the morning commute so not being a sweaty pig isn't an option.
Old 10-01-13, 02:24 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

That's not a cultural difference. I know plenty of people who work indoors in Europe (UK, France, Ireland) who don't commute by bike because they can't shower, or commute by bike because their office has showers.
I did not intend to be stereotypical, and believe your experience to be more expansive than mine. I said it solely based on the fact that the Europeans (primarily English, Irish, and German) and Australians that I have had experience with are far less uptight about getting sweaty in their street clothes than the bulk of my American cohort.
Old 10-01-13, 02:35 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I did not intend to be stereotypical, and believe your experience to be more expansive than mine. I said it solely based on the fact that the Europeans (primarily English, Irish, and German) and Australians that I have had experience with are far less uptight about getting sweaty in their street clothes than the bulk of my American cohort.
Bicycling as transportation is not the same cycling as exercise or recreational activity. When you ride in relatively flat city streets with dedicated bike lanes and lights like they have in Holland or Denmark, you hardly work up a sweat. The average moving speed there is probably 6-8 mph, by my reckoning, and throwing in a few stops along the way, you are really not that sweaty by the time you get in the office. It also helps most of those countries are not super hot in summer.
Old 10-01-13, 03:05 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bicycling as transportation is not the same cycling as exercise or recreational activity. When you ride in relatively flat city streets with dedicated bike lanes and lights like they have in Holland or Denmark, you hardly work up a sweat. The average moving speed there is probably 6-8 mph, by my reckoning, and throwing in a few stops along the way, you are really not that sweaty by the time you get in the office. It also helps most of those countries are not super hot in summer.
My 11.5 mile commute has 24 stop lights and 5 all way stops, and takes me between 34 and 45 minutes. I do not think I would like the Holland scenario.
Old 10-01-13, 03:15 PM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My 11.5 mile commute has 24 stop lights and 5 all way stops, and takes me between 34 and 45 minutes. I do not think I would like the Holland scenario.
That's a lot of stops! Where are you, Manhattan?
Old 10-01-13, 03:18 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not think I would like the Holland scenario.
With all due respect, you have no idea what you're missing. Avg speeds may be 6-8mph for short trips, but some are hammering off to work at over 25mph. There are even bike routes between cities rated as 'high speed'.
Old 10-01-13, 03:23 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 21 Posts
...the Europeans (primarily English, Irish, and German) and Australians that I have had experience with are far less uptight about getting sweaty in their street clothes than the bulk of my American cohort.
It's interesting how fastidious North Americans can be in comparison with Europeans. We over here are supposed to be the descendants of rugged pioneer stock, but it seems that the unprecedented postwar prosperity we experienced has made us soft.
Old 10-01-13, 03:26 PM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
It's interesting how fastidious North Americans can be in comparison with Europeans.
Agreed. Fastidious, yet morbidly obese.
Old 10-01-13, 03:27 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

That's a lot of stops! Where are you, Manhattan?
Syracuse, but I have to clear a suburban village to get there. I have one 2 mile stretch with no lights, but they are thick otherwise. The perk is long sight lines, so they are easy lights to time, and avoid stopping.
Old 10-01-13, 03:29 PM
RollCNY
Speechless

With all due respect, you have no idea what you're missing. Avg speeds may be 6-8mph for short trips, but some are hammering off to work at over 25mph. There are even bike routes between cities rated as 'high speed'.
I meant it tongue in cheek. Part of me would love to cycle across Europe. I am a huge Medieval history buff, and would love to ride the land, as it were.
Old 10-01-13, 03:57 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Agreed. Fastidious, yet morbidly obese.
Uggh, morbidly obese cyclists in lycra who are trying to be fastidious.