Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Over 50 and hating it

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Over 50 and hating it

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-13, 04:09 PM
mtn.cyclist

Bikes: Litespeed Obed, Cannondale Scalpel, Spcialized AWOL, Litespeed Solano, Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
This is the first summer in my entire life I have gained weight. Usually I lose a few pounds. Turning 54 this fall and really not liking the aging process at all. This really stinks! I try to watch what I eat and exercise each day, but the frontal mass seems to be growing. Looks like I swallowed a basketball or something. Never have felt my age before today. I want out of this arrangement!!
Like my father used to say, it's not so bad when you consider the alternative.
Old 10-09-13, 04:38 PM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 658 Times in 371 Posts
Originally Posted by lenA
Bacon
The meaning of life in a single word.
Old 10-09-13, 04:56 PM
zonatandem

Bikes: Custom Zona c/f tandem + Scott Plasma single

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Age 80; weight 135 lbs. Ride 100+ miles a week. Eat sensibly (very minimal fast food).
Can't wait 'til I get older!~
Old 10-09-13, 05:03 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 720 Posts
You guys are alright! This feeling started when I went mountain biking with a 70 year old guy two weekends ago. It was his first ride and he didn't crash, was not fast, but loved the heck out of it! He also weighed less than me. That really got me wondering why I am so damned fat! I have taken up a new position, one where I sit all day long. I didn't ride as much as last year (2k vs. 3k) and my wife keeps baking good tasting cookies, cake, and brownies to die for!
Inspiration oozes from this thread. Thanks. I will take care of it.
Old 10-09-13, 05:24 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by zonatandem
Age 80; weight 135 lbs. Ride 100+ miles a week. Eat sensibly (very minimal fast food).
Can't wait 'til I get older!
Hey Rudy - you don't have to wait - it is happening every second
Old 10-10-13, 06:49 AM
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you need a new hobby.

Chase women 1/2 your age.

You'll feel better - unless your wife catches you.
Old 10-10-13, 07:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I will be 75 in Dec and ride about 100 miles a week for about 7 months of the year. Im in the snow belt and dont ride when it is cold.

As others have stated getting old is better than the alternative. Keep active, and cycling is one of the best ways to do it. If you just set, you will rust, and hate even worse getting older. Rolling on two or three wheels is better than rolling on two front wheels and a couple of cut open tennis ball on the back legs of a walker.

Last edited by rydabent; 10-13-13 at 12:32 PM.
Old 10-10-13, 07:34 AM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by rydabent
I will be 75 in Dec and ride about 100 miles a week for about 7 months. Im in the snow belt and dont ride when it is cold.

As others have stated getting old is better than the alternative. Keep active, and cycling is one of the best ways to do it. If you just set, you will rust, and hate even worse getting older. Rolling on two or three wheels is better than rolling on two front wheels and a couple of cut open tennis ball on the back legs of a walker.
Rustoleum is the real answer
Old 10-10-13, 08:33 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 523 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 181 Posts
I recently took to looking up friends from the past online and was saddened to see their obituaries pop up as the first item. One college friend died at age 50 and many have not lived long enough to enjoy retirement. While remaining active is no guarantee of a long life, it certainly lengthens the odds.
Old 10-10-13, 09:06 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm 59 and have lost 30 lbs over the past few years. Actually, I lost the weight two years ago and have kept it off. Before then, I had steadily gained weight for years even though I was exercising a lot. What worked for me was starting to track my weight and calories every day. I started when I got an iPhone about 3 years ago, and downloaded a tracking app (LoseIt!). With the program, you enter in all of vital stats (age, weight, etc.), your goal weight, and how quickly you want to lose weight. I chose a goal of losing 20 lbs at a rate of 1 lb/week, and I lost weight at that rate almost precisely. I worked so well that I reset my weight-loss goal to 25 lbs and then 30 lbs.

When you start tracking your calories, you quickly realize how much you are actually eating. You have to be honest, however, for it to work. You have to track every single bit of food or drink that you consume, and measure quantities carefully. You also get credit for how many calories you burn through exercise, and you have to be honest about that as well.

Along with tracking, you also have to start changing the way you eat. Cut back on portion sizes and second helpings. Reduce the amount of beer and alcohol you drink. Eat healthier foods with more fiber.
Old 10-10-13, 09:24 AM
Rick@OCRR
www.ocrebels.com

Bikes: Several bikes, Road, Mountain, Commute, etc.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
I've been much happier since I turned 50 . Part of that (probably a big part) is that I got divorced from my non-cycling wife when I was 45 and married my cycling wife (11 years younger than me) when I was 52.

Now that I'm 63 I am loving life! I still have a good job, wonderful cycling opportunities, beautiful mountains in which to ride, a wonderful wife and several fun bikes. It really is all good.

Rick / OCRR
Old 10-10-13, 10:13 AM
bkaapcke

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
Look at the bright side. You only have six more years to worry about being in your fifties. This fact alone ought to be enough to make your day. bk
Old 10-13-13, 11:59 AM
Gnosis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
This is the first summer in my entire life I have gained weight. Usually I lose a few pounds. Turning 54 this fall and really not liking the aging process at all. This really stinks! I try to watch what I eat and exercise each day, but the frontal mass seems to be growing. Looks like I swallowed a basketball or something. Never have felt my age before today. I want out of this arrangement!!
Fear not, for soon enough you’ll be “out of this arrangement”. Try to be thankful for the time you presently have; embrace life to its fullest and don't sweat the little stuff...
Old 10-13-13, 12:24 PM
mapeiboy

Bikes: Colnago EP with Campy chorus

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
55 here . Love every moment of it even in great pain after each ride . I am is the age thing and there is nothing I can do about it . There are alot of people who don't even get to make our age .
Old 10-13-13, 12:34 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Think about when you retire, it will brighten your day. As I have stated, retirement is like being a teenager on summer vacation.
Old 10-13-13, 12:53 PM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Stop the World I wanna get off. Getting old just plain sucks. The alternatives are more sucky.

Mark Shuman
Old 10-13-13, 01:01 PM
Ali_Pine

Location: Pennsylvania and Colorado - Snowbird with bad sense of direction & humor... Retired now Ski Bum... My Ride - Montague - Paratrooper

Bikes: Montague - Paratrooper

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Think about when you retire, it will brighten your day. As I have stated, retirement is like being a teenager on summer vacation.
That reminds me of days spent under the boardwalk and a number of formal (white shotgun) weddings.
Old 10-13-13, 03:16 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
I never have problems with beautiful young women. They're always happy to chat with me, especially the ones I meet on bike rides.

I'm told I remind them of their dads

Old 10-13-13, 03:34 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Originally Posted by Dudelsack
I never have problems with beautiful young women. They're always happy to chat with me, especially the ones I meet on bike rides.

I'm told I remind them of their dads
I hate to break the news, but I think you must mean "granddads"
Old 10-13-13, 04:15 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
"Growing old ain't so bad when you consider the alternative." George Burns
Old 10-13-13, 05:29 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
I hate to break the news, but I think you must mean "granddads"
Honestly never been called that.

Old 10-13-13, 06:01 PM
jmart2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wish i was ONLY 54 again. 71 and still love to ride.
Old 10-14-13, 09:33 AM
PTar

Bikes: 2001 Fuji, 1996 Trek 930

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kid trapped in an older body

Can't really get angry about aging. I'm 52 and still chasing my six year old around. Now that forces you to stay active. I still have trouble getting up at 4:45 in the dark to knock out a twenty five mile ride. But pulling into the driveway at seven feels good knowing that I got something done while many folks are still in bed. Stay active, plenty of time to rest when it's time to take the dirt nap.
Old 10-14-13, 09:34 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
add it to the list of reasons to be a cranky old man
Old 10-14-13, 11:24 AM
Gnosis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My excruciating near fatal heart attack in late August of 2009 at age 53 dramatically changed my perspective of life oriented matters. Every day since then has been a bonus round and reason to celebrate the extended time I’ve been given.

My ex-wife passed away suddenly in her sleep of a massive heart attack at age 53 and her mother passed away suddenly of a brain aneurism at age 53. My ex-wife worried that she’d pass away at age 53 just as her mother. What good ever came from worrying about it? None whatsoever! It didn’t cause her to quit smoking and consuming alcohol and neither did she commence any manner of exercise. She loved to go fishing and why not; it’s an easy “sit motionless on your arse” activity.

From my perspective, it would seem that 53 years of age is a potential danger zone in one’s lifetime. Make it past the dreaded 53 years of age and it appears there’s much more that awaits us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.