Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Anyone Cutting Weight This Spring?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Anyone Cutting Weight This Spring?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-18, 04:35 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Any good intermittent fasting (IF) threads out there? Been using it for cutting and to stay in shape with good results and have been wanting to contribute or start a thread.

No tights for me. Oh and all my classics still have clips/straps.
Old 04-21-18, 06:17 PM
jfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
OK how about this? Six weeks ago I decided to change my diet and especially my intake of alcohol. FWIW, I had been averaging about 400-600 calories a day of alcohol. I cut it back to 200-300. These are averages. I also had my annual with my MD and she thought that was reasonable. So, I started at 190.5 and after 5 weeks I was down to 185.6 lbs. Nice reasonable pace of weight loss. Three days ago I was about 188. Then yesterday I was 187. This is typical for me. I bounce up a couple Lbs and then down. But both the highs and lows were getting lower. Today,expecting that I was still on a downward trajectory, I got on the scale expecting something in the 186 range. But, glaring at me was 190.3 lbs. WTF! I don't get it. Now before you start thinking water retention, I am monitoring all of this and can find no difference in anything I've been doing for the past 6 weeks. I don't get it. BTW, at my annual physical I had blood work done and everything is good. I'm at a loss.
Your weight can vary by several pounds from day to day just due to sodium intake, bowel and bladder functions, stress, time of day, hydration levels, etc. Heavy exercise can cause a temporary weight gain due to muscle inflammation. People go crazy over daily weight fluctuations.

The best way to accurately track how you're doing is to record your weight every morning just after waking and urinating, and calculate 7 day averages on the same day each week. Use only the weekly averages to gage your progress and don't worry about the daily fluctuations.
Old 04-21-18, 06:33 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wphamilton
I have to question this. Speed increase at 5% slope, from losing 10 kg, would be the same as speed increase at 10% slope. Except a little more speed increase at the higher slope, due to less air resistance at the lower speeds. The chart should be fairly flat, with just a bit of rise as it moves to the right with higher slopes.
I admit, it took a bit of thinking to get my head around this, but the contributor of the chart has considerable expertise in this area.

Verify the figures for yourself using Bikecalculator or an equivalent; the chart is quite correct. It's not intuitive, at least not to me; I had to check it before accepting it as gospel.
Old 04-21-18, 10:18 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
OK how about this? Six weeks ago I decided to change my diet and especially my intake of alcohol. FWIW, I had been averaging about 400-600 calories a day of alcohol. I cut it back to 200-300. These are averages. I also had my annual with my MD and she thought that was reasonable. So, I started at 190.5 and after 5 weeks I was down to 185.6 lbs. Nice reasonable pace of weight loss. Three days ago I was about 188. Then yesterday I was 187. This is typical for me. I bounce up a couple Lbs and then down. But both the highs and lows were getting lower. Today,expecting that I was still on a downward trajectory, I got on the scale expecting something in the 186 range. But, glaring at me was 190.3 lbs. WTF! I don't get it. Now before you start thinking water retention, I am monitoring all of this and can find no difference in anything I've been doing for the past 6 weeks. I don't get it. BTW, at my annual physical I had blood work done and everything is good. I'm at a loss.
OK first, you need at least 2 of 3 parameters (height/weight/build) to be able to be able to determine body structure. And second, that's a lot of empty calories -- which don't contribute nutritionally -- but will certainly add to you fat stores. Indulge yes, but it should be a special treat, not a daily part of your diet. That's just too much to ignore long-term. If you want to manage your weight, try and reduce it down to once a week.
Old 04-22-18, 06:38 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Originally Posted by jfan
Your weight can vary by several pounds from day to day just due to sodium intake, bowel and bladder functions, stress, time of day, hydration levels, etc. Heavy exercise can cause a temporary weight gain due to muscle inflammation. People go crazy over daily weight fluctuations.

The best way to accurately track how you're doing is to record your weight every morning just after waking and urinating, and calculate 7 day averages on the same day each week. Use only the weekly averages to gage your progress and don't worry about the daily fluctuations.
I'm going to try the averaging part. FWIW, I weigh myself after urinating and a BM and before coffee or food. I don't weigh myself daily (usually) but maybe every 3-5 days. I chart it every Sunday. This morning I did some measuring and this is what I found. From the same time yesterday, I weighed 1 lbs less, my waist was 1 inch smaller and I was 1/2" taller. I think that's strange.
Old 04-22-18, 06:47 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyThePinhead
I admit, it took a bit of thinking to get my head around this, but the contributor of the chart has considerable expertise in this area.

Verify the figures for yourself using Bikecalculator or an equivalent; the chart is quite correct. It's not intuitive, at least not to me; I had to check it before accepting it as gospel.
I was misreading the x-axis units, since the way I described how it should look is how it does look ... so never mind.
Old 04-22-18, 07:06 AM
bruce19

OK first, you need at least 2 of 3 parameters (height/weight/build) to be able to be able to determine body structure. And second, that's a lot of empty calories -- which don't contribute nutritionally -- but will certainly add to you fat stores. Indulge yes, but it should be a special treat, not a daily part of your diet. That's just too much to ignore long-term. If you want to manage your weight, try and reduce it down to once a week.
Some of this I've tried to take into account. At around age 25 and what I call "full build out", I was 5'10 1/2" and 178 lbs. I'm using the weight I was at the end of basic training at Ft. Jackson. I was a college QB. Now I'm 72 and (On a good day) 5'9" and, as of this morning, 189 lbs. I'm a mesomorph. So, those are some of the parameters. Every chart or formula I see online or in nutrition books says I can eat about 2500-2700 calories a day to be at 185 lbs. This takes into account age and activity level. My doctor says I should be around 1800 calories. I don't know why. My meeting with her was brief and she is new to me. I agree with you that alcohol is empty calories, for the most part. OTOH, if I eliminate 400 cals. of alcohol and add, say, 400 cals. of potatoes, I don't think I'm going to lose weight. I'm not upset about the way I feel or look but I am totally confused about my body's reaction to all of this. That's the part I'm trying to understand.
Old 04-22-18, 08:05 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Only 2 pounds variation from three days ago. I see it all the time when I thought it would be a pound down but it was a pound or two up. I think that it tells us that these fluctuations are not necessarily periodic with any particular consistency. I chalk it up to factors not directly related to what I eat, probably fluctuations in body chemistry cause by some other uncharted factors. Sleep cycles maybe, emotional or psychological even. Or maybe some additive in processed food, who knows but there are lots of possibilities. If it's averaging out and generally going the direction I want, then it's not concerning.
Old 04-22-18, 01:11 PM
KraneXL

Some of this I've tried to take into account. At around age 25 and what I call "full build out", I was 5'10 1/2" and 178 lbs. I'm using the weight I was at the end of basic training at Ft. Jackson. I was a college QB. Now I'm 72 and (On a good day) 5'9" and, as of this morning, 189 lbs. I'm a mesomorph. So, those are some of the parameters. Every chart or formula I see online or in nutrition books says I can eat about 2500-2700 calories a day to be at 185 lbs. This takes into account age and activity level. My doctor says I should be around 1800 calories.
Well doctors aren't dietitians, but in this case, she's spot on. Most Americans eat twice the number of calories they need to sustain them per day.
I don't know why. My meeting with her was brief and she is new to me. I agree with you that alcohol is empty calories, for the most part. OTOH, if I eliminate 400 cals. of alcohol and add, say, 400 cals. of potatoes, I don't think I'm going to lose weight. I'm not upset about the way I feel or look but I am totally confused about my body's reaction to all of this. That's the part I'm trying to understand.
You won't, but why would you "add" 400 cal. of potatoes back to your diet? That would be like taking two steps forward and two steps back.

But don't eliminate your alcohol...altogether. Rather, reduce it in steps by 50%. For example, if you drank 4 glasses/day reduce it to two. Or reduce the servings size by 1/2. Whatever works for your psychological state. That's how I reduce unhealthy calories in my diet and made it last.

Last edited by KraneXL; 04-23-18 at 04:35 PM.
Old 04-22-18, 06:31 PM
ZippyThePinhead
Slacker

Bikes: 1986 Peugeot Orient Express, 1987 Trek 560 Pro, 1983 SR Semi Pro, 2010 Motobecane Le Champion Titanium, 2011 Trek Fuel EX8

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Some of this I've tried to take into account. At around age 25 and what I call "full build out", I was 5'10 1/2" and 178 lbs. I'm using the weight I was at the end of basic training at Ft. Jackson. I was a college QB. Now I'm 72 and (On a good day) 5'9" and, as of this morning, 189 lbs. I'm a mesomorph. So, those are some of the parameters. Every chart or formula I see online or in nutrition books says I can eat about 2500-2700 calories a day to be at 185 lbs. This takes into account age and activity level. My doctor says I should be around 1800 calories. I don't know why. My meeting with her was brief and she is new to me. I agree with you that alcohol is empty calories, for the most part. OTOH, if I eliminate 400 cals. of alcohol and add, say, 400 cals. of potatoes, I don't think I'm going to lose weight. I'm not upset about the way I feel or look but I am totally confused about my body's reaction to all of this. That's the part I'm trying to understand.
Metabolism slows as you age, meaning the food you needed to sustain your 25-year old self during basic training far exceeds what you need at 72. I know a 70-something who doesn't exercise much and what he eats in a day is sobering, meaning it is surprisingly little. But he looks great, and I consider it a collateral benefit of his self-control.

I have logged food off and on using an app on my phone, and it helps one to be more aware regarding how many calories are being consumed. It really requires some self-control to stay the course. Alcohol-- I love beer and wine-- is an Achilles heel for me, because having a bit makes me want to munch on something, and there have been many days where I came home from work, grabbed a beer, and within an hour I've exceeded the daily calorie allocation by 1,000 or more.

If you're willing to use an application like MyFitnessPal or equivalent to log your food intake, the app will accept your weight and particulars, and can provide you with a daily calorie goal to achieve whatever you wish: lose weight, maintain weight, gain weight. It can be integrated with a variety of devices like a Garmin or a WiFi-connected scale to provide whatever amount of data-driven tracking you care to achieve. You can do it using a Web browser or an app on a phone/tablet. It can be tedious at time to log stuff, because you have to weigh it/measure it, but it can be most effective.
Old 04-23-18, 04:44 AM
bruce19

I have been using Fitday.com on my desk top. I thought I was taking the right steps by going to several "medical/nutritional" sites to establish my daily caloric needs. They all show at least 2500 calories. And, they all asked for my age. In any event that's not working so I am now trying to adhere to 2000 or less. It's also starting to look like Spring is finally going to show up in New England so riding will help. My GF and I rode 24 mi. with 1400 ft of climbing yesterday. That can't hurt. Thanks for the advice.
Old 04-23-18, 04:21 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

My GF and I rode 24 mi. with 1400 ft of climbing yesterday. That can't hurt. Thanks for the advice.
That’s a decent ride for spring.
Old 04-23-18, 04:39 PM
KraneXL

I have been using Fitday.com on my desk top. I thought I was taking the right steps by going to several "medical/nutritional" sites to establish my daily caloric needs. They all show at least 2500 calories. And, they all asked for my age. In any event that's not working so I am now trying to adhere to 2000 or less. It's also starting to look like Spring is finally going to show up in New England so riding will help. My GF and I rode 24 mi. with 1400 ft of climbing yesterday. That can't hurt. Thanks for the advice.
Definitely the right steps. Nevertheless, some calculators are more specific than others.

Calculate Your Caloric Intake

Old 04-24-18, 07:15 AM
bruce19

Definitely the right steps. Nevertheless, some calculators are more specific than others.

Calculate Your Caloric Intake

This calculator is more in line with my MDs thinking. At this point I'm thinking this may be a simple "too many calories" kind of thing. I am trying to stay at 2,000 or less. The calculator is telling me my daily limit should be 1700-1800 cals with moderate exercise. That's to get to 180. I am 187 this morning. With 50-75 mi. of cycling during the week I'm thinking 2,000 cals will be OK.
Old 04-24-18, 08:08 AM
KraneXL

This calculator is more in line with my MDs thinking.
It includes exercise/activity so its closer to a health/fitness calculator.
At this point I'm thinking this may be a simple "too many calories" kind of thing. I am trying to stay at 2,000 or less. The calculator is telling me my daily limit should be 1700-1800 cals with moderate exercise. That's to get to 180. I am 187 this morning. With 50-75 mi. of cycling during the week I'm thinking 2,000 cals will be OK.
I'm about 190 so our weights are virtually the same and I survive on 1500-1800 cal/day. Although you admittedly get in more cycling than I do. Most American eat about twice the number of calories they need to survive per day.
Old 04-24-18, 08:20 AM
gettingold

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R 260 Disc; 2008 Trek 4.7 Madone; 2017 Framed Minnesota 3.0 Fat Bike; 1984 Nishiki International

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Apparently, my focus has been putting on weight this year. I went from an ultegra CF with rim brakes and one 25 mm and one 28 mm to a 105 spec'd Ti with discs and 32's. Same waste size but a bigger smile on my face when I ride (especially the flats).
Old 04-24-18, 01:30 PM
jimjim58

Bikes: '18 Trek Domane SL6

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks to my Wahoo Kickr and Zwift I lost weight this winter. Also eating healthy and cut back on the craft beer intake.
Old 04-25-18, 09:50 AM
bruce19

Went out with my gf yesterday for a 16.5 mi. ride. A little over 1,000 ft. elevation and serious headwinds in spots. For me, it was a 1:16 ride at about 12.8 mph. Climbing is my Achilles heel. She did the ride in 1:13 @ 13.5 mph and finished about a mile ahead of me. I went and got a pizza to bring home. A "traditional" pizza which means no mozzarella, just parmesan cheese. She went to a spin class. This is what I live with. OTOH, got on the scale this morning and weighed 186.0 lbs. I usually see an increase in weight the morning after a ride. So, this is good.
Old 04-25-18, 10:51 AM
OldsCOOL

Went out with my gf yesterday for a 16.5 mi. ride. A little over 1,000 ft. elevation and serious headwinds in spots. For me, it was a 1:16 ride at about 12.8 mph. Climbing is my Achilles heel. She did the ride in 1:13 @ 13.5 mph and finished about a mile ahead of me. I went and got a pizza to bring home. A "traditional" pizza which means no mozzarella, just parmesan cheese. She went to a spin class. This is what I live with. OTOH, got on the scale this morning and weighed 186.0 lbs. I usually see an increase in weight the morning after a ride. So, this is good.
Way to press in! I have found my body will retain water weight for about 36 hours after a “traumatic”, in a metabolistic sense, ride. After that, it’s like a natural diuretic and hoping it isnt at night.

I’ve lost a pound since Sunday and will be targeting my 2lbs per week loss rate.
Old 04-25-18, 11:37 AM
Monoborracho

Bikes: More than I really should own.

Quoted: 205 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I've gone from a bulbous 220 in Nov-17 to currently 189, and still dropping 1.5 - 2# per week. I'm at my HS football weight, aiming for my USAF pilot weight, i.e, well below 170. I have 3" gone from the waist.
Sweet wife has also worked at it with me. With a tandem tour in Ireland fast approaching, we have lost nearly 40# as a team, aiming for 75 or so as we get ready for the "last quarter" of life.

Our biggest challenge has been keeping muscle mass, which means balanced protein and twice-a-week strength training.
Old 04-25-18, 12:02 PM
bruce19

Originally Posted by Monoborracho
I've gone from a bulbous 220 in Nov-17 to currently 189, and still dropping 1.5 - 2# per week. I'm at my HS football weight, aiming for my USAF pilot weight, i.e, well below 170. I have 3" gone from the waist.
Sweet wife has also worked at it with me. With a tandem tour in Ireland fast approaching, we have lost nearly 40# as a team, aiming for 75 or so as we get ready for the "last quarter" of life.

Our biggest challenge has been keeping muscle mass, which means balanced protein and twice-a-week strength training.
I'm down to my college football weight and aiming for my Basic Training weight of 178 lbs. Unfortunately, I'm also down 2 1/2" in height.

Borracho tambien.
Old 04-25-18, 08:12 PM
Tony_G
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: 2024 Trek Domane SL5, 2018 Cannondale Synapse AL 105 SE, 2017 Giant Roam 1

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
I sure am. Winter was crazy up here (in fact, still is) and coupled with too much eating in slow metabolism season...I now have 15lbs to lose. Twenty would be peachy. Weather has been crappy and struggling to get 2 rides a week was the reality. Time to change it.

Someone posted a weight-loss article for cyclists showing calculated improvements based on each 5lbs lost. Having been here before, this is my motivation. Here we go.
I’ve lost 25 pounds in six weeks. 195 down to 170. I’m taking frequent 40 mile rides, and keeping my average daily calorie intake under 1,400.

My big motivator was a scary doctor visit. My blood pressure was 155/100. That was definitely a wake up call. Now it is 117/71, without taking any medication.

This is my first diet where I weighed everything I ate and actually counted every calorie. When coupled with biking, it has been very effective.

I’m going to keep going and dump at least another 15 pounds. That would leave me the lightest I’ve even been in my adult life.
Old 04-25-18, 11:22 PM
gda659

Bikes: Elephant Bikes NFE, Soulcraft Royale, DeSalvo Team Issue, 96 Stumpjumper Comp, Intense Tracer 29, Rans Rocket, Bike Friday NWT, 1978 Puch Royal X

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
I'm 6'0" and was over 230 a few years ago. I felt like crap. I was still a bit over 220, when saw a new doctor, got put on cholesterol and blood pressure meds a year ago. I also had slightly high blood sugar. Nothing was way out of whack, but the combination was concerning. I'm under 210 now and the doctor wants me under 195--so do I. (Got to get it done before fire season.) Hopefully, I'll be able to get off the meds, then. Cycling is helping drop the weight and strength training a couple times a week keeps me strong. There are no flat routes where I live. I'm still slow, but getting better.
Old 04-26-18, 03:21 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Tony_G
I’ve lost 25 pounds in six weeks. 195 down to 170. I’m taking frequent 40 mile rides, and keeping my average daily calorie intake under 1,400.

My big motivator was a scary doctor visit. My blood pressure was 155/100. That was definitely a wake up call. Now it is 117/71, without taking any medication.

This is my first diet where I weighed everything I ate and actually counted every calorie. When coupled with biking, it has been very effective.

I’m going to keep going and dump at least another 15 pounds. That would leave me the lightest I’ve even been in my adult life.
Insanity. jk

Most of us don't realize just how much we eat over what we actually need. I've been working on strength training recently (I had to walk my bike up a hill), and have stabilized on a 1400-1800 cal/day diet. Believe it or not, I'm actually continue to get stronger per workout. I credit that mostly to IF, which is a system I swear by, and can now completely support.
Old 04-26-18, 08:24 AM
bruce19

Originally Posted by gda659
I'm 6'0" and was over 230 a few years ago. I felt like crap. I was still a bit over 220, when saw a new doctor, got put on cholesterol and blood pressure meds a year ago. I also had slightly high blood sugar. Nothing was way out of whack, but the combination was concerning. I'm under 210 now and the doctor wants me under 195--so do I. (Got to get it done before fire season.) Hopefully, I'll be able to get off the meds, then. Cycling is helping drop the weight and strength training a couple times a week keeps me strong. There are no flat routes where I live. I'm still slow, but getting better.
I hope your BP med is not a beta blocker. They keep your heart form beating to pump blood when needed cycling. I was on them it it almost killed me. Check with you MD. There is another alternative. There are meds that dilate your veins and arteries and I'm told these are much better. I've been using 100% beet juice which seems to help.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.