Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Saddle replacement for Brooks C17

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-18, 11:19 PM
sounasega

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Dear community,

I ride a Spot Acme for commuting and occasional touring and I am sitting on an angled position with my weight properly put on my sit bones.
I've been using a Brooks C17 saddle which I've always found rather hard but never minded too much on short distances (<30mins rides). Recently I went on a two days tour and following happened after about 1.5hr riding:

1) Numbness on the front of my groin
2) Pain around the sit bones (had to stretch out of the saddle mutiple times)

I could partly remediate 1) by sligtlhy tilting down the front o the saddle so as to reduce pressure.
However 2) was unchanged.

At this point I think I need a different saddle and I am looking for suggestions before I go out and try some.
I am 6'2" tall and 215lb heavy.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Fabrizio

Last edited by sounasega; 06-06-18 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 06-06-18, 07:48 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I hate my C17. I try to like it, but its just not comfortable.

I love my B17 (leather), and Fizik Aliante.

The "reviews" proclaim that the C17 doesn't have to be broken in, but my B17 was more comfortable new, than the C17 ever was. And the B17 just gets better and better.
Old 06-06-18, 10:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7346 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
It's impossible to say what saddle will suit a person. You just have to try a few. But definitely change your saddle if you have genital numbness. You should never tolerate that.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 06-06-18, 10:39 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
A thought: the C17 is a curved top saddle, that's doesn't work for me. The Brooks Pro has a hump on top, same thing. Hammock style like the Anatomica also are big fails for this butt.

Flat top saddles, even if they're narrow, even cheap ones like the SR saddles, work much better for my anatomy. So, B17, Fizik, Ergon, some SRs, some SMPs, they tend to be closer to an ideal fit right out or the box.
Old 06-06-18, 10:44 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
I have been riding these, love'em

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH6QZBI/
Old 06-06-18, 12:21 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
1 down 99+ more to try, I don't have your hips to have a say what I like ,
to matter.

you like the flatter sit upon part of that saddle type, or will a rounder shape help?

as I say on these FAQ, hit the bike shop and try 'Take Offs',

They're new, but bike buyer wanted something else, so Cheaper.

Last edited by fietsbob; 06-21-18 at 11:21 AM.
Old 06-06-18, 12:50 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
@sounasega are you using a C17 or a C17 carved? I've been using C15 and C13's for a few years now and love them, but I can see how it could feel a bit stiff for some people. At one point I had a C15 carved and it had much more give to it. Might be worth a look and see if you can find a C17 Carved and give it a try.
Old 06-06-18, 01:15 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by pesty
@sounasega are you using a C17 or a C17 carved? I've been using C15 and C13's for a few years now and love them, but I can see how it could feel a bit stiff for some people. At one point I had a C15 carved and it had much more give to it. Might be worth a look and see if you can find a C17 Carved and give it a try.
Some of my favorite saddles are super stiff, but the C15 is just uncomfortable after I get off the bike. Wish I could just carve it out myself...

Below - Hardy - I have one of those in my garage. Guess I should try it out. Mostly been riding an Ergon (or Fizik) lately...
Originally Posted by HardyWeinberg
I have been riding these, love'em

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CH6QZBI/
Old 06-06-18, 01:55 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
I have Brooks Cambium C17 Carved (the one with the cutout) on all my bikes .... The trick with these, is that you have to find the correct position of the saddle .... a little bit forward ... a little bit back ... but when you find the 'sweet spot' you dont't even 'think' about saddle on long rides

I see a lot of long distance audax riders using these.

and, sometimes, it's not the saddle, but it's your arse that needs breaking in
Old 06-06-18, 02:44 PM
xSurlyx

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Bianchi Sport SX, Schwinn Traveler

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a big guy 6"0 and 250. I have a B17, which I enjoyed, but because I had to angle the nose up I found that a little bothersome. I have a Selle Anatomica X (has the cut out) and I do not feel it at all, even in rides 2 hours +.
Old 06-06-18, 05:44 PM
sounasega

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dear all,

Thanks a lot for your helpful comments.
In the meantime I also measured my sitbone width which is 14cm.

I was considering the B17 with springs (Flyer) : anyone has experience with it?
@pesty: my C17 is not carved and the biggest issue it is it being hard and uncomfortable on my sitbone after a while.

Thanks again,

Fabrizio
Old 06-06-18, 05:59 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by sounasega
Dear all,

@pesty: my C17 is not carved and the biggest issue it is it being hard and uncomfortable on my sitbone after a while.

Thanks again,

Fabrizio
So, while the material is the same, the carved versions don't feel as hard when you're sitting on them. I actually switched from a carved to a non-carved because it had a bit much give to it. But it really comes down to personal preference. If you're sit bones are 140mm, C17 should be about right. I personally have yet to find a padded saddle that doesn't cause pain and numbness after about an hour. I should mention that when I switched to Brooks, I was between 215 and 220lbs, so I don't personally think you're weight comes into play. Could be your position on the saddle as @dim suggested, or your sit bones just may not be able to adjust to being on a hard saddle that long.

If you buy your saddles at an LBS, I'd suggest talking to them about a loaner, trade in, or return/exchange policy. The two biggest shops around here both have excellent return policies on saddles and I've gone back and forth with one of them 2-3 times before I got situated on the c15. You might also look into a fitting, it's possible that there may be small adjustments that can be made that will change how you're sitting on the saddle and make it more comfortable.
Old 06-07-18, 08:32 AM
chas58

Dear all,

Thanks again,

Fabrizio
Fabrizio - The springs are for riders who basically sit vertically. The narrower saddles are for riders who are lower and/or in the drops more often.

I wouldn't get the springs unless I'm sitting upright.

+1 for working with a good bike shop - good ones have good return policies, and sometimes even "loaner" saddles you can try out.
Old 06-09-18, 04:43 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by dim
I have Brooks Cambium C17 Carved (the one with the cutout) on all my bikes .... The trick with these, is that you have to find the correct position of the saddle .... a little bit forward ... a little bit back ... but when you find the 'sweet spot' you dont't even 'think' about saddle on long rides

I see a lot of long distance audax riders using these.

and, sometimes, it's not the saddle, but it's your arse that needs breaking in
Love my C17 carved !
Old 06-10-18, 12:07 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
Dear all,

Thanks again,

Fabrizio
i have a flyer, its very comfortable for me who rides upright. i do prefer the b17.
Old 06-11-18, 01:02 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I have a Brooks C17. It's an okay saddle. Maybe a little hard for my liking, but I haven't had any problems. I do much prefer my Brooks B17, which is ultimately comfy.

If your only problem now is your sit bones, I suggest that that you keep riding your C17. Your butt will eventually harden up accordingly.
Old 06-11-18, 02:17 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

I adore both my B17 and my C17.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 06-20-18, 09:51 PM
COBikeLover
Banned.

Bikes: Trek DS 3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
Mostly been riding an Ergon (or Fizik) lately...
Which Ergon are you riding? Why specifically?
Old 06-21-18, 07:18 AM
chas58

Originally Posted by COBikeLover
Which Ergon are you riding? Why specifically?
I think it is the SRX3. Its really hard and flat and light and very comfortable. I ride regularly, hard, and fairly aero.
(The Ergon SMC4.might be better for a more well rounded saddle).
With the C15, I get a little chafing and I think it might be a little more comfortable if I sat more upright. Its hard, a little too rounded (in an odd way) and chafes a little compared to the Ergon.
My fizik aliante seems to be shaped similarly to the C15 (I have the 142mm width version), but is comfortable in any position I use. I use that or the B15 for long rides over 3 hours...

That said - my friends swear by the infinity saddle for endurance and audax rides.
Old 06-21-18, 08:13 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

You never know what saddle will suit you until you try. Recommendations don't help much. Some like Brooks, some hate them, and I love them. Some love Fizik. I tried one and couldn't believe the pain that ensued, and quickly. We're all different down there, and no one wants to measure or examine closely, even if it were easy, so the best thing is trying saddles until you find a good one for you.
Old 06-21-18, 11:27 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Fizik, a division of saddle maker Selle Royale* , also has a range of products

wider 'unisex ' may not be in your favorite colors,,

because the importer targeted the female customers ..

*who also own Brooks , now..

Old 06-22-18, 05:33 AM
scunepo

Bikes: 35 year old British Eagle Everest (early MTB), Trek FX 7.4 and Dutchie (with back-pedalling brake)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Rido 2 is designed to relieve pressure on sensitive areas. I use one on my Trek.
Old 06-25-18, 08:42 PM
COBikeLover
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I think it is the SRX3. Its really hard and flat and light and very comfortable. I ride regularly, hard, and fairly aero.
(The Ergon SMC4.might be better for a more well rounded saddle).
With the C15, I get a little chafing and I think it might be a little more comfortable if I sat more upright. Its hard, a little too rounded (in an odd way) and chafes a little compared to the Ergon.
My fizik aliante seems to be shaped similarly to the C15 (I have the 142mm width version), but is comfortable in any position I use. I use that or the B15 for long rides over 3 hours...

That said - my friends swear by the infinity saddle for endurance and audax rides.
I looked at that Infinity saddle...That's a ridiculous amount of money for even "less" saddle IMO. I get latest and greatest technology kind of stuff, but I couldn't justify spending almost $300 on a saddle at the current time.

I just got off a B67 and got a Flyer instead. Did a long ride on it the Flyer today. It's like night and day difference. I was having chaffing/sore issues with the B67. I have been struggling with discomfort for a couple of months with saddles and this is my third different saddle hoping as time goes on that the Flyer is for me. The B67 is just not really made for doing 30-70 or 100 kilometer rides on a regular basis with.
Old 06-25-18, 08:46 PM
COBikeLover
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
You never know what saddle will suit you until you try. Recommendations don't help much. Some like Brooks, some hate them, and I love them. Some love Fizik. I tried one and couldn't believe the pain that ensued, and quickly. We're all different down there, and no one wants to measure or examine closely, even if it were easy, so the best thing is trying saddles until you find a good one for you.
It's difficult when you don't have the luxury of shelling out hundred or hundreds of dollars at a pop to figure it out though. I don't know if something like the Fizik can be returned easily if you don't like it. But with things like Brooks saddles, once you rip it out of the packaging, it is pretty much yours. If it doesn't work out for you but takes a few hundred miles to figure that out, that can be quite and expensive lessons until you find the right seat.
Old 06-25-18, 08:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Originally Posted by COBikeLover
It's difficult when you don't have the luxury of shelling out hundred or hundreds of dollars at a pop to figure it out though. I don't know if something like the Fizik can be returned easily if you don't like it. But with things like Brooks saddles, once you rip it out of the packaging, it is pretty much yours. If it doesn't work out for you but takes a few hundred miles to figure that out, that can be quite and expensive lessons until you find the right seat.
If you're willing to go through the trouble of selling your stuff, you can recover most of the cost if it's high end stuff. But yes, it is a problem as you describe it. I've gone through lots of saddles. And I have a lot of bikes. Once I noticed I like Brooks best, I thought, no way am I spending that much on each bike. Well, there's one saddle I've bought two of, used, that I like well enough.