Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Metric Century used to be called 62 miles

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Metric Century used to be called 62 miles

Old 06-06-18, 01:06 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by Oso Polar
Fahrenheit is meaningless. I can tell you right away that 20 degrees C is warm, or, at the very least, not too cold, without knowing very little about C. What is 20 in F? Who knows, zero in F is a temperature of "mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride" - how often do you deal with this mixture and what practical information it gives?
I presume you grew up with C? I didn't, I can't intuitively tell you what 20C is, and I use C on a daily basis at work. I know what temperatures are too hot for brakes in C, and at which point the corners of the car are going to catch on fire, but I can't intuitively tell you what jacket I need at 10C, just as you probably can't tell me at 50F. What I can tell you is that at 50F, it is more or less halfway between the general average extremes of temperature the industrialized northern hemisphere is experiencing. Why is a system based off the freezing and boiling point of water any more or less practical when I want to know the weather outdoors? Unless I am ice fishing, what state water will be in is rather irrelevant to knowing if I have to wear pants or not. Not to mention, I lose a good chunk of my precision.

I agree makes more sense engineering, but the scale works dang good for weather temperatures experienced across most of the industralized northern hemisphere. Why is C more practical when I spend the months of December to March largely sticking a negative in front of my average Michigan temperatures? I'm possibly taking a ethno-geographically centric view, but a range of 0 to 100F simply makes more sense than a range of -20 to 40C
Old 06-06-18, 01:18 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
You do win with imperial beer pints. You get 95 milliliters more beer than with a standard US pint.
This is an interesting oddity. An imperial pint is 20 imperial oz and US is 16 US oz. But, an imperial oz is about 4% less than a US oz. So, in bars in the US, if you buy a 20 oz pint (and bars do advertise such) you get more beer than if you order a pint in UK. That is, if you can still get a pint in the UK instead of 500 cc. I say 500 cc, but I don't know if that's metric system proper or not. Liters are not, but it's a unit which appears to be in common use. I suppose we should be measuring our beer in m^3 so a standard amount might be .0005 m^3. Or, 500000 mm^3

edit:

Apparently, with Si it's ok to use prefixes other than those representing multiplication or division by 1000. So, cm^3 is ok. For some reason, I was thinking that only k,m, etc were ok.

Last edited by desconhecido; 06-06-18 at 01:29 PM.
Old 06-06-18, 01:30 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Now, from the POV of the real overwhelming majority of the population (unlike USA-only majority of the population), Fahrenheit temperature scale is completely meaningless and by far the most confusing part of USA measuring system. First of all, unlike any other measure, there is simply no easy way to convert C to F by just applying one multiplication, there is a whole conversion formula involved. Second, Celsius temperature scale is extremely intuitive and practical: 0 - water freezing point. Everything below 0 means freezing cold. And in practice it makes a big difference between ice, snow, exploded water pipes, frozen food vs just rain, cold water, cold food. And at 100 degrees water is boiling which is also a common event known to everyone. It is pretty easy to extrapolate between these two points (0 & 100) by everyday life experience.

Fahrenheit is meaningless. I can tell you right away that 20 degrees C is warm, or, at the very least, not too cold, without knowing very little about C. What is 20 in F? Who knows, zero in F is a temperature of "mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride" - how often do you deal with this mixture and what practical information it gives? Never and none - and this includes US folks as well. 100 degrees, AFAIR, was a body temperature of his feverish wife. How often do you meet with Fahrenheit's wife? Above 32 will be warm range, below 32 - frozen... Why?!! Why 32??? Crazy and broken by design system, dead everywhere in the world - except US.
As J said, it sounds like you grew up with Celsius.

I can tell you exactly what 20F is, ten degrees below zero. I even know that zero is actually 32F - what it feels like etc... I can negotiate the system to a very nuanced degree. It's not right or wrong, just what you are exposed to during a formative phase.
Old 06-06-18, 01:42 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is a chicken and the egg thing.

Because as we all very well know, anything important in cycling came first from Europe. They had the Century.... it was 100KM, and we thought it was great. Then we started saying, well we're Americans and we can one up you. We'll make our own Century, and because we're awesome and use the Imperial system, we'll do it 1/2 again more and make it 100 miles. At that point, the old "Century", which was only 62mi became known as a "62-miler [mile-er]". Well, that just started to sound a bit odd after a while, so at some point when cycling started to really get big here in the US of A someone said "we can't be calling this a 62-miler, this is cycling, and everything is Metric!! We MUST have a metric name for this distance!!"

And thus the "Metric Century" was born.
Old 06-06-18, 02:00 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Doctor Morbius
I'm training for a metric half-century. Got any tips?
Half is pretty aggressive.

Maybe some tips/lessons learned here...

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...r-century.html

-Tim-
Old 06-06-18, 02:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Origin of the Metric System

Most historians agree that Gabriel Mouton, the vicar of St. Paul’s Church in Lyons, France, is the “founding father” of the metric system. He proposed a decimal system of measurement in 1670. Mouton based it on the length of one minute of arc of a great circle of the Earth (now called a nautical mile, 1852 meters). He also proposed the swing-length of a pendulum with a frequency of one beat per second as the unit of length (about 25 cm). A pendulum beating with this length would have been fairly easy to produce, thus facilitating the widespread distribution of uniform standards. Over the years, his work was revised, improved, and extended by a number of French scientists.
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 06-06-18, 02:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Now, from the POV of the real overwhelming majority of the population (unlike USA-only majority of the population), Fahrenheit temperature scale is completely meaningless and by far the most confusing part of USA measuring system. First of all, unlike any other measure, there is simply no easy way to convert C to F by just applying one multiplication, there is a whole conversion formula involved. Second, Celsius temperature scale is extremely intuitive and practical: 0 - water freezing point. Everything below 0 means freezing cold. And in practice it makes a big difference between ice, snow, exploded water pipes, frozen food vs just rain, cold water, cold food. And at 100 degrees water is boiling which is also a common event known to everyone. It is pretty easy to extrapolate between these two points (0 & 100) by everyday life experience.

Fahrenheit is meaningless. I can tell you right away that 20 degrees C is warm, or, at the very least, not too cold, without knowing very little about C. What is 20 in F? Who knows, zero in F is a temperature of "mixture of ice, water, and ammonium chloride" - how often do you deal with this mixture and what practical information it gives? Never and none - and this includes US folks as well. 100 degrees, AFAIR, was a body temperature of his feverish wife. How often do you meet with Fahrenheit's wife? Above 32 will be warm range, below 32 - frozen... Why?!! Why 32??? Crazy and broken by design system, dead everywhere in the world - except US.
Calm down, man, this stuff all makes sense in a historical perspective.

The reason for the ice, water, and ammonium chloride bath is that it is thermostable -- something very handy when you are trying to establish references for a scale, with the technology available hundreds of years ago.

And if we were to use the Celsius scale as he wanted it, 0 would be the boiling point of water and 100 the freezing point. Well, okay.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 06-06-18, 02:32 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
I think that's why I prefer gear-inches to meters-development, too.
Me too, but I'm a non-repentant retro grouch.
Old 06-06-18, 02:59 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Crap, I forgot to carbo-load for my after work metric quarter century! I'll have to double the beer intake at the halfway point!
Likes For jefnvk:
Old 06-06-18, 08:39 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Half is pretty aggressive.

Maybe some tips/lessons learned here...

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycl...r-century.html

-Tim-
Perfect! That's exactly what I need!
Old 06-06-18, 08:46 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
What I remember in the past is that the "century" and "half century" ride were the main things. I don't recall ever seeing a "metric century" until later. Maybe after LA and people wanted to show their TdF chops with "euro"-speak.

scott s.
Old 06-06-18, 11:46 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I was in elementary school when Canada switched and learned both as a result. Over the years I've adopted metric for everything except temperature; my brain simply thinks in F (even though I know the basics in C).
Today I was describing the weather as being about 65 degrees to a 95 year old lady I was walking and she couldn't relate - She only thinks in Celsius! I couldn't convert for her. There was something very odd about that encounter.
I don't have much trouble with metric distances, but I, too have trouble with temperature and I'm not sure why. I have some known equivalents (68F = 20C, 50F = 10C, 32F = 0C) but I still mostly fail to think in C.
Old 06-06-18, 11:55 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
I don't have much trouble with metric distances, but I, too have trouble with temperature and I'm not sure why. I have some known equivalents (68F = 20C, 50F = 10C, 32F = 0C) but I still mostly fail to think in C.
I think it's what you're used to. 20C is a "standard" temperature for various processes, and I'm used to it. 15C for other things, and I'm used to it. But, when I'm thinking about those temps, I'm always mentally converting to 68F and 59F, cause that's what I've learned to understand.
Old 06-07-18, 12:11 AM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by a1penguin
I think this is true for many people and is due to the 32F offset between the two temperature scales. I.e. it's not just a ratio but also a fixed offset. For most things we don't need the exact conversion so remembering that a meter is just a bit longer than a yard, that a mile is a little more than 1.5 km, or that a liter is barely more than a quart is sufficient to let us feel comfortable with both sets of units. But with temperatures you need to apply the 9/5 ratio but then also factor in the 32 degree offset to convert C to F and that makes it much less intuitive. My mother had the same comment in the opposite direction having grown up with the metric units before moving to the US. She felt that she always had to convert temperatures to degrees C before they made sense to her.
Old 06-07-18, 05:44 AM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 751 Post(s)
Liked 726 Times in 350 Posts
I first started hearing the term metric century in the late 70's/early 80's. I think its a leasure time related thing. In the 60's and 70's the youth movement...bike boom...economic boom, resulted in more leasure time. Riding a 100 mile century over a 10 hour period was a way to spend a saturday with other cyclists. Pay your $2.00 entry fee for an organized century ride...bring a couple Pbj's with you and enjoy the day.

Now the cycling crowd is older. Working 10 hour days. Commuting by car 2 hours day. A century ride entry fee is $100. And lets see how fast we can complete the 62 miles on our $5000 carbon fiber bikes...because my daughter has a soccer game at 2pm and the living room needs painting.
Old 06-07-18, 08:36 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts

Agreed. In fact, since it is standard, I feel people posting temps on this forum should specify and provide a Celsius equivalent if they are posting something other than Celsius.
Old 06-07-18, 09:00 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
Agreed. In fact, since it is standard, I feel people posting temps on this forum should specify and provide a Celsius equivalent if they are posting something other than Celsius.
Hah hah hah... don't know if you are serious or not but it would make a great amendment to the TOS, along with the right to bare your arms while doing a quarter metric century. Many don't know it but Fahrenheit 451 is a fact based account of what happens to a society when the corresponding C equivalent is not provided.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 06-07-18, 09:16 AM
OBoile

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1027 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
Hah hah hah... don't know if you are serious or not but it would make a great amendment to the TOS, along with the right to bare your arms while doing a quarter metric century. Many don't know it but Fahrenheit 451 is a fact based account of what happens to a society when the corresponding C equivalent is not provided.
My comment was about 50% serious, and 50% just poking the bear.

I do think that the USA needs to step into the 20th century and start using the metric system like the rest of the world (we can work on the 21st century later). Hubris and tradition aren't valid reasons for refusing to adopt a system that is clearly better (and happens to be the universal standard).
However, people posting in Fahrenheit doesn't bug me. I get it, that's what people are used to. In the grand scheme of things, there are far, far larger issues to worry about.
Old 06-07-18, 10:24 AM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by OBoile
I do think that the USA needs to step into the 20th century and start using the metric system like the rest of the world (we can work on the 21st century later). Hubris and tradition aren't valid reasons for refusing to adopt a system that is clearly better (and happens to be the universal standard).
Seems like it actually is being used in the situations where it is meaningfully better. Conversely, imperial measurement survive as stock sizes in metric countries when they well fit the need, even if they may officially wear a metric label. Sometimes these metric statements of inch sizes even become preferred conversationally in the US: no one seems to call a 25.4 mm seat post one inch.

That's aided a lot by people quickly becoming familiar with the units they regularly need to use for a task, and tools that instantly toggle back and forth when needing to import or export information from a setting where the choice is made differently.

And there's a lot of national customization of consumer products that has nothing to do with measurement. Bought a pair of pants trousers in England once, what was more notable than the waistband sizing was that while probably made in the same factory in asia, they were just different - for example, they all had a "coin catcher" created by a few stitches in the front pocket, something I've never seen here but was present on every variety in the store there.
Old 06-07-18, 10:50 AM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Nermal
There are two kinds of nations in the world. Those that use metric and those that put a man on the moon.
Ah, but I've read that the Apollo computer was programmed in metric units but accepted english units:

https://www.******.com/r/askscience/..._we_landed_on/

So NASA did use metric even back then. Too bad we can't seem to get the rest of our country to agree to use the metric system 49 years later. I think most schools/universities have taught science courses with metric for a few decades, no?

Edit: link to r e d d i t broken for some reason. Original article is here: https://www.doneyles.com/LM/Tales.html

Last edited by ptempel; 06-07-18 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-07-18, 10:53 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Crap, I forgot to carbo-load for my after work metric quarter century! I'll have to double the beer intake at the halfway point!
Only if you measure the energy content in Joules, not Calories.
Old 06-07-18, 10:55 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
In my view, imperial / metric has become a non-issue in most industries. Almost all designs are done in CAD programs that can display either units. Manufacturing equipment (machine tools) can switch between units with the flip of a switch. There are a few long-term standards that aren't worth revising, such as BB threads, because nothing but a BB needs to fit those threads. It's fun to debate about, and it's inconvenient that there are still two standards, but it has really ceased to be a major problem.
Old 06-07-18, 10:56 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Gresp15C
Only if you measure the energy content in Joules, not Calories.
Make sure you capitalize "Calorie" correctly, because a "calorie" is a very different thing from a "Calorie". That minor salient detail only constitutes 3 order of magnitude of difference.

Of course there are also different definitions of calorie as well:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie#Definitions
Old 06-07-18, 11:03 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
When the countries around the world converted to metric.
Silly other countries. They could still have 1/8 & 1/16 & 1/32 and .......that metric stuff is so....simple.
Old 06-07-18, 11:05 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,279 Times in 739 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill
Please see Rule 24.

Velominati ? The Rules
The answer to any question is always rule #5 .

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.