Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-19, 08:03 PM
Padgett

Bikes: All City Gorilla Monsoon, 1985 Fat Chance Competition, 90s Kona Cinder Cone, 1973 Schwinn Le Tour

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Iron Horse

My conversion. A 1979 Schwinn Sidewinder. Found this bike in the dumpster with only the frame, forks, handlebars, crank, seatpost and what was left of the rear rim. All cables, brakes, derailer and shifter were gone. Found some aluminum rims, laced in a Shimano 3 speed with a 24 tooth cog, added a seat, handgrips, front rack and some small stuff to make it comfey, and took off. This bike weighs a ton, thus the low gearing, but it rides really nice as it sets. The paint was treated to some gentle polishing to bring out the luster (I love this color), and a wax job to protect what was left. I believe this bike has the longest kickstand I have ever seen! It reaches just shy of the rear axle!
Awesome Bike. What rack is this?
Old 09-13-19, 08:52 AM
Iron Horse

Bikes: Western Flyer, Schwinn, Rollfast, Gambles, J.C. Higgins, Waverley, Crescent, Hercules, Nishiki, Huffy, Mohawk, AMF, Electra, A ridable replica hi-wheel and a few others.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Padgett
Awesome Bike. What rack is this?
Thanks! The rack is a Velo Orange large porteur. Cost about $165. Ordered from one of the relatively local bike shops. I had to cut off a bit of the tabs on the bottom of the rack, and drill out the holes on the front forks to get it to fit height wise, and bent the top tab to match where the front brakes used to be. The only bad things about this rack are, one, it's steel, and two, it's chrome surface reflect my headlight in its current location, and three, steering gets a little..... Interesting when I ride fast downhill on some of our bricked streets (does fine on concrete). Otherwise it's been a great rack. The sides come off if you are just looking for a flatbed.
Old 09-13-19, 12:28 PM
Graboid1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Those fenders are the coolest things ever. And the full-sized pump. Your ride has so much personality. Nice going.
Old 09-14-19, 08:52 PM
Graboid1

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Both of your bikes are utilitarian beauties, but the Canyon Express is a knockout. Beautiful. Forgive this ignorant question, but what kind of tires are on it?
Old 09-14-19, 08:55 PM
Graboid1

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
The last time I posted here, it was with photos of my old Rockhopper cargo bike. Before that, however, I posted a few of my mid-`80s Peugeot Orient Express.

Well, since then, I found the top-of-the-line Canyon Express to replace it, and did a complete frame-up build. I left the full Deore drivetrain on there, because it was a nice, indexed upgrade from the original Sundour Mountech group. I also left the original Bullmoose handlebar on there, but only for the moment. This bike will get a Velo Orange Milan for a more upright position as soon as I get time to put it on there.

Time - always in such short supply during the Summer.
Both of your bikes are utilitarian beauties, but the Canyon Express is a knockout. Beautiful. Forgive this ignorant question, but what kind of tires are on it?
Old 09-16-19, 06:51 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,508 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by Graboid1
What a beautiful, functional bike. And I love that you are repurposing a bike rather than using the resources to make a new one. I have been unsure about the right tires for a bike that will be used for a bit of everything. With the Pilot Sport tires discontinued, what would you use now? Your thoughts on tire types would be very welcome.
Thank you Graboid1.

I'm always on the lookout for decent 26" 'street'
oriented tires as I so rarely get off road I don't need the knobby variety.

I'm not sure what tire I would go with at this point to replace my 26x2.35 Michelin Pilot Sports.

Possibly Schwalbe Big Apples which are close in size and weight.

For a 26x2.0 tire I am considering these Continental Contact Speed tires.

I have two sets of them in a 700cx42 and I like the looks, reasonable price, decent weight and they roll well and so far have not had but one flat.

Anyone else have 26" tires they have been pleased with?

Last edited by cooperryder; 09-16-19 at 08:08 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 07:00 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
That's not ignorant at all. Those are Continental Retro-Ride tires. They look great, but are just average for grip and rolling resistance. I had a pair of Kenda Kiniptions on there that I think I liked better for ride quality. This bike is queued-up for more mods this winter.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 09-16-19, 07:08 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Originally Posted by cooperryder
Thank you Graboid1.

I'm not sure what tire I would go with at this point to replace my 26x2.35 Michelin Pilot Sports.

I have two sets of them in a 700cx42 and I like the looks, reasonable price, decent weight and they roll well and so far have not had but one flat.

Anyone else have 26" tires they gave been pleased with?
I like Panaracer T-Serv for handling and performance, although I wish they came in a size larger than 26 x 1.75 inch. I've been looking at the "Ribmo" from the same manufacturer, which has tread similar to the Michelin Pilot Sports and comes in 26 x 2 inch size. I think I will probably try those next.

Old 09-16-19, 07:09 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Both of your bikes are utilitarian beauties, but the Canyon Express is a knockout. Beautiful.
I second that -- that Canyon Express is a real stunner. I love blue bikes; they always look so classy to me. This one is no exception. Very nice!!
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 09-16-19, 07:34 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Originally Posted by hokiefyd
I second that -- that Canyon Express is a real stunner. I love blue bikes; they always look so classy to me. This one is no exception. Very nice!!
Thanks for the kind words. It's kind of an obsession of mine to build each bicycle into the best it can be. That gets to be expensive, and I have difficulty selling them for that reason. But my collection is still growing nonetheless.

Here's my next project, a 1985 Dawes Ranger:

Look at that wheelbase!

I believe the Dawes Ranger was the first British MTB. Or at least one of the first. I know it is the first MTB I have heard of built with Reynolds 531 tubing.

This bike just begs to have panniers hung over the rear rack. But I have a different plan in mind. I just have to work out the details. Stay tuned...

Likes For DQRider:
Old 09-16-19, 08:15 AM
cooperryder

Thanks for the kind words. It's kind of an obsession of mine to build each bicycle into the best it can be. That gets to be expensive, and I have difficulty selling them for that reason. But my collection is still growing nonetheless.

[FONT="Century Gothic"]Look at that wheelbase!

I believe the Dawes Ranger was the first British MTB. Or at least one of the first. I know it is the first MTB I have heard of built with Reynolds 531 tubing.
One continues to learn on this forum.

That's the first Dawes mt bike I've seen.

What a great looking machine!

Where did you find it?

Also have you already changed it up some?

I look forward to hearing more about it.

What is the wheelbase? Chainstay length?

I know Rivbike is into the really long
chainstay/wheelbase and has some 26" models.

I do like the ride of longer wheelbase bikes myself as I'm more about comfort than speed these days.

Last edited by cooperryder; 09-16-19 at 08:21 AM.
Old 09-16-19, 08:41 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

One continues to learn on this forum.

That's the first Dawes mt bike I've seen.

What a great looking machine!

Where did you find it?

Also have you already changed it up some?

I look forward to hearing more about it.

What is the wheelbase? Chainstay length?

I know Rivbike is into the really long
chainstay/wheelbase and has some 26" models.

I do like the ride of longer wheelbase bikes myself as I'm more about comfort than speed these days.
A local flipper goes to a lot of estate sales, and finds some real bargains on some rare bicycles. This was one such bike, but this time he didn't even know what he had. I got it in a straight-across trade for an old Specialized Rockhopper Comp that I picked up for $25 two years ago. That is the photo from the CL ad.

I share a lot of Grant Petersen's philosophy on bikes. I keep telling myself that one day I am going to buy a Rivendell frameset, but that hasn't happened yet.

This bike reminds me a lot of the 26-inch version of the Surly Long-Haul Trucker. I haven't started on it yet, but I do know it's getting some very special fenders, upside-down porteur handlebar, shellacked cork grips, and Brooks B17 Copper Special saddle.

I have not yet decided whether I am going modern 1 x 10 Deore on the drivetrain, or keeping the Deore XT 3 x 7 it came with. Those long chainstays would be a breeze to cold-set, but the modern 1 x 10 setup might just look wrong on this frame. I'll try to mock it up before I decide whether to modify the rear triangle or not.

Old 09-16-19, 10:45 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts

Look at that wheelbase!

This bike just begs to have panniers hung over the rear rack. But I have a different plan in mind. I just have to work out the details. Stay tuned...

Back in the mid-1980s I had a Bianchi MTB with a long wheelbase similar to that. There was so much room between the seat-tube and the rear tire that I was able to mount a spare bottle cage and bottle there.

The image is poor because it's a scan of a 3"x5" photo.

Cheers
Old 09-16-19, 11:14 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Thank you Graboid1.

Anyone else have 26" tires they have been pleased with?

Those look pretty interesting, especially right now at BikeInn where they are $18. The Amazon site says they are 1.21 lbs, so 549 grams or about 100 grams heavier than RTP, and still a pretty respectable weight compared with lots of other options.

I have used Big Apples and like them for urban knock-around use, but they are pretty heavy, something like 900 grams iirc.

I currently have Schwalbe Kojak slicks on my Stumpjumper. They get a bad rap for rolling resistance but I can't tell. They seem fine and are reasonably light.

I have never used the Rat Trap Pass tires or Maxxis DTH, but would be interested in trying both at some point based on what I've heard. I have been pretty happy with Paselas, but they only come in 1.75 max width. Too bad they don't make a 2" version.
Old 09-16-19, 12:36 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Just contemplating doing this for gravel path riding with my wife. In fact she's the one who suggested we needed a pair of mountain bikes. What a helpful and inspirational thread!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 09-16-19, 04:43 PM
cooperryder

Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Just contemplating doing this for gravel path riding with my wife. In fact she's the one who suggested we needed a pair of mountain bikes. What a helpful and inspirational thread!
Also if road bars are preferred there are many great conversions
on this helpful thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...sions-262.html
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 09-16-19, 04:45 PM
Graboid1

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Can't Wait to See More

That's not ignorant at all. Those are Continental Retro-Ride tires. They look great, but are just average for grip and rolling resistance. I had a pair of Kenda Kiniptions on there that I think I liked better for ride quality. This bike is queued-up for more mods this winter.
Thanks for the tire info. Much appreciated. Keep photographing mods as you make this beauty even prettier... and your post made me brush up on my French - Nicely said : )
Old 09-16-19, 06:00 PM
Chicago Al 

Bikes: 1974 Motobecane Grand Record, 1987 Miyata Pro, 1988 Bob Jackson Lady Mixte (wife's), others in the family

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 79 Posts
Also if road bars are preferred there are many great conversions
on this helpful thread.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vi...sions-262.html
For hers at least, it'll definitely be set up for a more upright position. Maybe mine should be too, come to think of it. I'm over 60 and can lean over just fine, but my neck gets stiff after a while, as do my forearms.

Think rails-to-trails paths, unpaved, looking at scenery and trees...that kind of riding.

A friend (on CR, not BF) has a Bridgestone MB-3 that might do for me; there's a 'ladies' Schwinn High Sierra available locally for my wife.

I'd love to find a nice Miyata Elevation or '-Cross' and see what could be made of it.

Chicago CL also has a couple of interesting looking early 90s Paramount MTBs I may go check out. I fixed up a Paramount PDG 20 for my son to take to college several years ago. Daughter has it now, converted to SS, for occasional urban errands. It was quite nice once it was cleaned up, it was 'entry level' but still a Paramount so a cut above.

Heck, I haven't had a bike project in years, now look what I'm thinking about!

- Dr Samuel Johnson
Old 09-17-19, 10:46 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by Chicago Al
Those are gateway drugs for a tandem. Just sayin.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 09-17-19, 11:11 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
[SIZE="3"]That's not ignorant at all. Those are Continental Retro-Ride tires. They look great, but are just average for grip and rolling resistance. I had a pair of Kenda Kiniptions on there that I think I liked better for ride quality. This bike is queued-up for more mods this winter.[/SIZE]
Those Kiniptions don't seem to get much love, probably because of their weight and the "Kenda" script on the side. They sure don't roll like heavy tires, though! At a fraction of the price vs. Rat Trap Pass, I'll be using them on my 26" commuters for the foreseeable future.
Old 10-21-19, 07:43 PM
dickbandit 

Bikes: 1980 Peugeot PFN-10, 1989 Bridgestone MB-3, 1988 Univega Alpina Uno, 1974 Velosolex Saint Tropez, 1995 Trek 830, 1986 Lotus Odyssey, 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1987 Raleigh Elkhorn

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 32 Posts
Recently converted my '95 Trek 830 from mustache bars to fully upright bars. These are the Left Bank bars from Velo Orange in road diameter to fit bar end shifters. Used Rustines grips with the ends cut off. This bike is my daily commuter and these bars make navigating Philly traffic that much easier.

Likes For dickbandit:
Old 10-21-19, 08:00 PM
belacqua

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 35 Posts

I'm loving these. Keep em coming!
Likes For belacqua:
Old 10-31-19, 01:52 PM
mtaineer

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dickbandit
Recently converted my '95 Trek 830 from mustache bars to fully upright bars. These are the Left Bank bars from Velo Orange in road diameter to fit bar end shifters. Used Rustines grips with the ends cut off. This bike is my daily commuter and these bars make navigating Philly traffic that much easier.

I just bought a 95 Mountain Track 830, but it's purple and blue. Your bike is an inspiration. What brand of fenders, basket, and handle bars did you use? Thanks!
Likes For mtaineer:
Old 11-08-19, 06:55 PM
dickbandit 

Bikes: 1980 Peugeot PFN-10, 1989 Bridgestone MB-3, 1988 Univega Alpina Uno, 1974 Velosolex Saint Tropez, 1995 Trek 830, 1986 Lotus Odyssey, 1987 Schwinn Mirada, 1987 Raleigh Elkhorn

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by mtaineer
I just bought a 95 Mountain Track 830, but it's purple and blue. Your bike is an inspiration. What brand of fenders, basket, and handle bars did you use? Thanks!

​​​​​​​
Thanks! The fenders are SKS commuters, the basket is a wald 137 ordered from Rivendell along with their "captain hook" net. The bars are Velo Orange Left Bank bars in road diameter to fit the Suntour bar ends. Interested to see how you build yours up. These mid-level mid-90s Treks are awesome commuters and beaters.
Old 11-08-19, 07:11 PM
mtaineer

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I was just in Philly and noticed several mid 90’s mountain bikes converted into commuters downtown. I’m working on a ‘93 Marin for one son (I think I’m gonna try your basket) and a ‘00 Specialized for my other son currently. The Trek 830 is in good working condition, and it may be a bit before I tinker with it. I have a 91 Trek 8000 that my son and I are going to tackle together...it needs a lot of work. I guess this my newest addiction.
Likes For mtaineer:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.