Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Perfect Freewheel

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Perfect Freewheel

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-19, 08:16 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
The Perfect Freewheel

My current freewheel, a Suntour Alpha 7-speed (13-30), is nearing the end of its life. I've had many issues with it over the past year, but now the thing is getting really needy. Issues I face include a stuck on 13T sprocket, slightly loose splined sprockets, chronic pawl chipping, pitted bearing races, and a locknut that won't stay tight for more than 200 miles. That's two weeks for me. Before you recommend a full disassembly, I want to get out of the way that I service my freewheels just like @pastorbobnlnh does. I use new bearings and grease the races. Park grease on the races and SRAM Butter on the pawls (used sparingly). The freewheel still rumbles after all the above service is completed.

I am now looking at a new freewheel. I run a very gear-phreaked setup, so my gearing choices are limited. I have a Suntour Perfect 5-speed with most of the sprockets I want. I would be acquiring a 6 speed non-Ultra body and a 15T sprocket. The other option is a Shimano 6-speed MF-Z012 freewheel in the same gearing. Both are about the same price. I was wondering which would perform better in a variety of ways. Here's my knowledge base ATM:

Perfect:
+Personal spare sprockets and parts
+easy to find
+better internals supposedly
+may have offset pawls for more engagement points
+great sound

-known to assplode unless red loctite'd and adjusted perfectly (locking cone comes loose and bearings spill out)
-inferior removal design (never had an issue though)
-minimally shaped teeth (I did a ride yesterday with a Perfect to see how well it would work, seemed fine)
-14T min (not really an issue though)

Shimano MF-Z012:
+tooth shaping
+better removal design, more common too
+reasonably easy to find
+known reliability (I have one on the commuter/beater, never any issues)
+13T compatible (not necessary)

-sounds cheap (when freewheeling)
-supposedly worse internals
-difficult? to find 15T
-supposedly faster wearing sprockets

Which would you choose?
* I will NOT use a modern freewheel. They ghost shift too much and look trashy.

I am ISO a 6 speed non-Ultra Perfect in sprocket combo 14-15-17-20-24-28. PM me please if you have one. (I found one on eBay, but it seems a bit questionable and I trust a forum member more than some blurry picture on eBay)

Last edited by Ferrouscious; 09-25-19 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-25-19, 08:21 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 802 Times in 391 Posts
Suntour is my choice. No idea where you got those "downsides" to the Perfect freewheel. Known to blow up without loctite and... huh?

Note: If you need it rebuilt better than new, look up Pastor Bob.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 09-25-19, 08:26 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
The Shimano. Cheap, reliable, very easy to find, and it will shift better. Have replaced all my freewheels, and gone the MF-Z012 route, even the Regina and Suntour ones. Big improvement, and so cheap, almost not even worth the time to clean them. Actually, found a few of the older ones in silver, without the Shimano lettering on the big cog, so not really noticeable on the Bianchi and TX900.
Tim
Old 09-25-19, 08:28 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Did I miss something, or why not just go out and get a Suntour Pro Compe or New Winner? I've got a couple new in box or near-new, I absolutely love them. I keep half a dozen or so in my bins for mixing and matching cogs, they support a variety of cog sizing. All the luxury and quality you would want with the flexibility you need.
Old 09-25-19, 09:04 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you have room for a non Ultra 6, how about an Ultra 7?
Old 09-25-19, 09:13 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Originally Posted by seypat
If you have room for a non Ultra 6, how about an Ultra 7?
That would fit as well. I currently am using a 7-speed freewheel. Is it possible to build a 7-speed Perfect?

Originally Posted by francophile
Did I miss something, or why not just go out and get a Suntour Pro Compe or New Winner? I've got a couple new in box or near-new, I absolutely love them. I keep half a dozen or so in my bins for mixing and matching cogs, they support a variety of cog sizing. All the luxury and quality you would want with the flexibility you need.
A Pro Compe would work as well. I mention the Perfect because they are easy to find and I have sprockets that match. I don't have the lockring tool for New Winners, so those are less desirable for me. I want to be able to service the internals if I need to.

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Suntour is my choice. No idea where you got those "downsides" to the Perfect freewheel. Known to blow up without loctite and... huh?

Note: If you need it rebuilt better than new, look up Pastor Bob.
Sheldon Brown talks about Perfects coming apart on his website. He has had (as have I and others too) the locking cone/nameplate come loose and spill out the bearings. In the middle of winter, I had to limp home with 15 balls total left. I've been a bit wary ever since.

Originally Posted by tkamd73
The Shimano. Cheap, reliable, very easy to find, and it will shift better. Have replaced all my freewheels, and gone the MF-Z012 route, even the Regina and Suntour ones. Big improvement, and so cheap, almost not even worth the time to clean them. Actually, found a few of the older ones in silver, without the Shimano lettering on the big cog, so not really noticeable on the Bianchi and TX900.
Tim
I believe you are talking about the MF-TZ21 (Tourney). The Z012 is an older model freewheel from the same time that the last gen of 600 (6200) came out. It's a Uniglide style (twist tooth) freewheel with full height teeth.

Last edited by Ferrouscious; 09-25-19 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-25-19, 10:51 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 629 Times in 280 Posts
Contact Pastor Bob. He has assisted/enabled a couple of custom freewheel with me and should be able to help you out.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 09-25-19, 11:12 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Originally Posted by top506
Contact Pastor Bob. He has assisted/enabled a couple of custom freewheel with me and should be able to help you out.

In progress...
Old 09-25-19, 11:16 AM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,798 Times in 2,283 Posts
The perfect freewheel is a cassette.

Old 09-25-19, 12:16 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
On "why not ultra-7 if standard-6 works":

Mixed results in my case, very hub-dependent and freewheel-dependent. (Of course, one can usually play with spacers and washers to make it work.)
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-25-19, 12:34 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4806 Post(s)
Liked 3,928 Times in 2,553 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
The perfect freewheel is a cassette.

Ummm, maybe, I loved as a racer that I could just unscrew a FW and screw on another for a specific race. No messing with cogs and spacers. Only small, easy to lose item was the remover. (Raced and trained on two 13-19 Winner FWs on my two wheelsets, used a 13-17 for criteriums, a 14-23 Perfect for the Stowe, VT race and a 13-21 for Mt Washington. (The Perfect with no 13 tooth was because at the time we didn't have a Winner 23 on the board at the shop I worked at. Gambled that lacking a 13 would hurt me less than the damage I could inflict with the 23 when everyone else was riding 24s. Worked out so well I used it again the next year. Also 14, 15, 17 was a better sequence than 13, 15, 17. All my favorite FWs and cassettes have had those cogs over the past 40 years.)

I don't think I ever had an issue with the SunTour removers. Always used the QR. Always greased the threads.

And yes, I did have a couple come apart after opening them up and repacking. Just oiled them after those. (Didn't know about Locktite Red yet.)

Ben
Old 09-25-19, 12:52 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4679 Post(s)
Liked 5,798 Times in 2,283 Posts
Originally Posted by 79pmooney
Ummm, maybe, I loved as a racer that I could just unscrew a FW and screw on another for a specific race. No messing with cogs and spacers. Only small, easy to lose item was the remover. (Raced and trained on two 13-19 Winner FWs on my two wheelsets, used a 13-17 for criteriums, a 14-23 Perfect for the Stowe, VT race and a 13-21 for Mt Washington. (The Perfect with no 13 tooth was because at the time we didn't have a Winner 23 on the board at the shop I worked at. Gambled that lacking a 13 would hurt me less than the damage I could inflict with the 23 when everyone else was riding 24s. Worked out so well I used it again the next year. Also 14, 15, 17 was a better sequence than 13, 15, 17. All my favorite FWs and cassettes have had those cogs over the past 40 years.)

I don't think I ever had an issue with the SunTour removers. Always used the QR. Always greased the threads.

And yes, I did have a couple come apart after opening them up and repacking. Just oiled them after those. (Didn't know about Locktite Red yet.)

Ben
Sure, but I can unscrew a cassette and throw a new one on just as quickly, so that's a wash, at best. Ben, you're one of those skinny guys that probably have never bent or broken a rear axle, but I have in the past, but never on a freehub design. Outboard hub bearings are a superior design. Adding more cogs to a frewheel pushes the drive side bearings further inward relative to the wider dropout width, exacerbating the axle issue. More cogs in the back = closer spacing, which has made the triple crank start heading towards the path of extinction.

The biggest issue, however, is the overwhelming greater availability of cassettes and freehubs over freewheels. I consider both to be consumables. IRD just came out with a newer freewheel for sale, but the quality is nowhere near what I can get on a freehub/cassette. SunTour, Shimano, and Regina freewheels aren't being made anymore.

I leave freewheels for the two bikes I have that are intended for Eroica type ride use, where period correctness and dressing up in costume is a big part of the ride.
Old 09-25-19, 01:11 PM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 423 Times in 282 Posts
Friction or index man?

If index; Campy, Shimano, Suntour Accushift???

Meh, screw it.... just get a Sachs - ARIS on fleabay.
Old 09-25-19, 01:39 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1565 Post(s)
Liked 1,295 Times in 865 Posts
Originally Posted by crank_addict
Friction or index man?...
I assumed friction, since the OP did mention unannounced ghost shifting, and what I never liked about friction shifting a Hyperglide freewheel or cassette.

This particular issue of shifting sensitivity (toward larger cogs) and with gear hunting can be greatly helped by using older SACHS and SRAM chains that were made to be Hyperglide compatible yet which still didn't feature any bulging of the sideplates. Starting in the mid-2000's, SRAM began using bulged sideplates on all of their chains, but the older ones still turn up (and are much quieter than the yet-older Sedisport chain when cross-chaining or when shifting under load.

I like the Suntour Alpha 13-30t 7s freewheel for it's durability and range, plus it shifts (friction or index) really well with Shimano 9s chain.
These seem not hard to find.
Old 09-25-19, 02:22 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I have a couple of 7-speed Suntour freewheels -- 13-24 off my Ironman, and a 13-26 I got a couplafew months ago -- that I'm not using. Probably won't use 'em again. Both are in very good shape.

After trying the SunRace chromed 13-25 MFR30 and 13-28 MFM30 freewheels, the Suntour feel crude in comparison. Those particular SunRace freewheels shift more crisply and run more quietly. And they run just fine with my Suntour or Shimano rear derailleurs. I mostly use the SunRace 13-25 and 13-28 on the Ironman with Suntour GPX group, depending on whether I'm running a 50/39 or 50/38 chainring combo, which varies according to the terrain I expect on half-centuries and longer rides.

With Accushift it was impossible to get crisp shifting and quiet running across all 7 cogs. There was always one or two cogs slightly off. And the GPX friction mode is not good. Too much ghost shifting or I'd need to crank down the tension so much it lost any smooth feel. No problems with the SunRace. Everything snicks into place, no ker-chunking sounds.

And my '93 Trek 5900 has a wheelset off another Ironman, Wolber rims with Shimano 600 hubs and Shimano 7-speed 14-28 freewheel. Works for me with either the original Dura Ace downtube shifters or, now, MicroShift brifters and Shimano rear derailleurs (I've switched between 600 Tricolor short cage and Deore LX long cage this year). No problems with the Shimano MF-TZ21 freewheel.
Old 09-25-19, 03:19 PM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I don't know how you can argue that Perfect isn't perfect. I mean, it's right there in the name.
Old 09-26-19, 06:22 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 760 Posts
FWIW, IRD just released their new Cyclone freewheels. They have 13-28 and 13-32 versions in seven speed configuration:

https://store.interlocracing.com/irdcyma1fr5.html

Not C&V, but they claim that the Cyclone is improved over their earlier offerings:

https://www.interlocracing.com/casse...eels-567-speed

I don't think they've been out long enough to garner very many independent reviews. Still, might be worth consideration. (I'm thinking of getting one for a townie Dawes I'm building.)
Old 09-26-19, 07:33 AM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Originally Posted by smontanaro
FWIW, IRD just released their new Cyclone freewheels. They have 13-28 and 13-32 versions in seven speed configuration:

https://store.interlocracing.com/irdcyma1fr5.html

Not C&V, but they claim that the Cyclone is improved over their earlier offerings:

https://www.interlocracing.com/casse...eels-567-speed

I don't think they've been out long enough to garner very many independent reviews. Still, might be worth consideration. (I'm thinking of getting one for a townie Dawes I'm building.)
I don't like the "improved" shifting of ANY modern freewheels; I get too much ghost shifting with my flexible frame. They also don't have the sprockets I need.
Old 09-26-19, 02:41 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
I don't like the "improved" shifting of ANY modern freewheels; I get too much ghost shifting with my flexible frame. They also don't have the sprockets I need.
I don't see any shifting ramps when I zoom in on the new IRD freewheel. I consider that a regression, but it might work better for you.

People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-26-19 at 02:51 PM.
Old 09-28-19, 09:34 PM
conspiratemus1
Used to be Conspiratemus

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrouscious
I am ISO a 6 speed non-Ultra Perfect in sprocket combo 14-15-17-20-24-28. PM me please if you have one. (I found one on eBay, but it seems a bit questionable and I trust a forum member more than some blurry picture on eBay)
This is to amplify the PM conversation we've been having. I don't know enough about Suntour to know if the "AP" freewheel I mentioned to you is similar enough to be compatible with what you have/want. Hence these photos showing the body and the three spline patterns on the sprockets (plus the threaded top sprocket (not shown) which serves as the lockring to hold everything together.