Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

When you start feeling sorry for yourself

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-06, 09:47 AM
cabaray

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, a 70's Bottecchia, Trek 930 and a few others in various states of disrepair.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Think of this guy, First he was hit by a truck (avoiding a pedestrian) and lost his leg. Afterwards he struggled for years being homeless. Then he taught himself how to ride a bike again and became a courier. Now he owns his own messanger service in N.Y. And I was all grumpy because I had a strong headwind this morning.

Last edited by cabaray; 04-10-06 at 04:32 PM.
Old 04-07-06, 11:32 AM
Itsjustb

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse 5c, Scattante XRL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
cabaray, thanks. I've had one of my worst, most-embarassing work-days of my life and got bad medical news last night. Seeing this helped. A lot.
Old 04-07-06, 12:06 PM
mcavana
the commutor / tourer

Bikes: trek 6700 turned touring machine, giant TCR2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
that is simply amazing... I can't even imagine how he does it... imagine being cliped in with only one foot, and loosing balance in the direction of your missing foot? How could you possibly not fall over????
Old 04-07-06, 12:11 PM
rule

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool! Thanks for posting that!
Old 04-07-06, 12:32 PM
fillthecup
Kwisatz Haderach

Bikes: 1998 Nishiki Montana, 1972 Schwinn Super Sport, 2007 Trek 520

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone seen 'Emmanuel's Gift'? It's at blockbuster, and was pretty good.

A deformed man (one functioning leg) from Ghana applies for grant money to buy a bicycle. His goal was to be the first disabled person to ride across Ghana. He ends up becoming a national hero, forms an organization to aid the disabled in Ghana, and is now trying to get legislation passed to protect disabled rights. It may be narrated by Oprah (grr) but it's worth a watch. Biking one-legged is tough! At one point he is flown to San Diego where he rides in a 60-mile charity event along the coast. That coast is HILLY, and he put other bikers to shame.
Old 04-07-06, 01:29 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Makes me think of Sarah Reinertsen, (completed the 2005 Ironman with only one leg). In an interview, she was asked about some "able-bodied" people not being active and applying themselves. She said something to the effect of "I see some people and think 'what a waste of two good legs.'"

Any time I start thinking about slacking off, I think of that quote.
Old 04-07-06, 02:10 PM
cabaray

Bikes: Motobecane Grand Record, a 70's Bottecchia, Trek 930 and a few others in various states of disrepair.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If anyone is interested in watching the actual movie go to Democracy TV https://www.getdemocracy.com/ You will have to download and install their software. Its worth it anyway, since this player/platform is so amazingly easy - it's like iTunes/Tivo for online video.. Then go to the channel guide or do a search for the Mediarights. The video is called Fast and Reliable.
Old 04-08-06, 09:11 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
That is a good reminder for me to stop complaining. Thanks.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-08-06, 09:25 PM
the beef
100% USDA certified

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Great post. Sort of came as a wake-up call for me to stop whining about stuff.
Old 04-08-06, 09:37 PM
edp773

Bikes: 2004 Giant Cypress, 2006 Trek 7.3 FX, 2007 Gary Fisher Wahoo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mcavana
that is simply amazing... I can't even imagine how he does it... imagine being cliped in with only one foot, and loosing balance in the direction of your missing foot? How could you possibly not fall over????
Answer, you don't. I occasionally lose a leg while out riding. This usually happens when I have one leg loose and extended for a stop. If I have not fallen over, I circle around and fall next to my leg and hope the fall is in the grass.

Losing a leg on the road makes for an interesting time. I must try and get my other prosthetic out of the pedal and stop close to the leg without falling. Next I must lean over and try to pick it up without falling. And all this is done while hoping no cagers run over me or my leg.
Old 04-08-06, 11:23 PM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by edp773
Answer, you don't. I occasionally lose a leg while out riding. This usually happens when I have one leg loose and extended for a stop. If I have not fallen over, I circle around and fall next to my leg and hope the fall is in the grass.

Losing a leg on the road makes for an interesting time. I must try and get my other prosthetic out of the pedal and stop close to the leg without falling. Next I must lean over and try to pick it up without falling. And all this is done while hoping no cagers run over me or my leg.

You have two prosthetics? So when one comes loose you fall and put it back on, or try to circle and pick it up while riding?
Old 04-09-06, 06:56 AM
edp773

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EricDJ
You have two prosthetics? So when one comes loose you fall and put it back on, or try to circle and pick it up while riding?
You have two prosthetics? Yes, I have one prosthetic for each leg.

So when one comes loose you fall and put it back on, Yes, most of the time I fall over and put it back on.

or try to circle and pick it up while riding? The exception is when riding on an asphalt road I try not to fall over and hurt my bicycle or get a road rash. I try to stop next to my leg and reach for my leg while still on the bike.
Old 04-09-06, 07:10 AM
sngltrackdufus
Banned.

Bikes: MTB's & a Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could this be a trend of the ULTIMATE weight weenies?
Old 04-09-06, 10:08 AM
cabaray

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have one prosthetic for each leg.

So when one comes loose you fall and put it back on, Yes, most of the time I fall over and put it back on.
When I posted this thread it never occurred to me that some members do in fact have disabilities. Man, I tip my hat (or should I say helmet) to you, thats amazing that you continue to ride with, not one, but two prosthetics. Question- did you ride before you lost your legs or did you start for rehabilitation reasons? Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but it would be interesting to hear your story.
Old 04-09-06, 01:27 PM
EricDJ
Airborne Titanium

Bikes: Airborne Ti Upright, Raleigh M-20 beater, Peugeot Folding

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You have two prosthetics? Yes, I have one prosthetic for each leg.

or try to circle and pick it up while riding? The exception is when riding on an asphalt road I try not to fall over and hurt my bicycle or get a road rash. I try to stop next to my leg and reach for my leg while still on the bike.

You inspire me. I never actually though about a prostetic falling off while riding, but I guess when clipped in, it can happen.
Old 04-09-06, 02:07 PM
midgie

Bikes: 2004 Raliegh Retro Glide 7(green of course), 2005 Stingray Pea Picker 2005 Specialized Hardrock 2014 Trek Crossfit

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I gotta tip my helmet to you too!

Also really makes me look bad
Old 04-09-06, 05:27 PM
edp773

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cabaray
When I posted this thread it never occurred to me that some members do in fact have disabilities. Man, I tip my hat (or should I say helmet) to you, thats amazing that you continue to ride with, not one, but two prosthetics. Question- did you ride before you lost your legs or did you start for rehabilitation reasons? Of course I'm making a lot of assumptions here, but it would be interesting to hear your story.
My story is too long to post here, but I am going to write it and post on a website after the college semester.Here is where my picture was put in the local paper last week.

https://www.starcourier.com/articles/...ews/local2.txt

If you click on the Benefit 4 Life link, the 9th paragraph tells a little of my history.

I did ride a lot before getting prosthetics, but mostly to train for other sports and rehabilitation. Being on a kidney waitimg list for for three years and the seven ampitations put me in very poor shape. Atrophy had me down to 118 pounds and it was an effort to walk. Last spring I had a friend of mine retrieve my ten speed from the garage and started to ride again. I was wobbly and could hardly do a mile, even after riding on a stationary. On May 6 last year I purchased a new Giant Cypress and proceeded to put 700 miles on it before the end of the year.

I use toe clips instead of clipless pedals for a couple of reasons. It is hard to twist my knee far enough to release the clips on SPDs and the toe clips also allows me to use large platforms to reduce heel strike on the crankarm.

Thanks for the compliments, but one young lady who used to post on here empresses me. Serendipity competes in triathlons with a prosthetic.

Last edited by edp773; 04-10-06 at 07:39 PM.
Old 04-10-06, 11:22 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
edp 773
outstanding admirable courage and spirit.
Old 04-10-06, 12:28 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

edp773,
Wow. Very impressive.
The effort it must take to ride is probably ten times what it is for "able-bodied" riders.
Keep it up!
(and I, for one, will never complain about riding into a head-wind, again)
Old 04-10-06, 08:02 PM
edp773

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MMACH 5
The effort it must take to ride is probably ten times what it is for "able-bodied" riders.
Keep it up!
(and I, for one, will never complain about riding into a head-wind, again)
Go ahead and complain about headwinds, because I sure do.

In my opinion the effort is not even twice as much as when I had both feet. The big difference is not being able to use calf muscles for sprints and hills. I use quad and hamstring muscles to pedal and keep a fast cadence to keep the mass rotating.

Thanks for the compliments, but it was not my intention to get sympathy. I was trying to answer questions because people are curious, and show some humor at the same time.

Cabaray,this was a good thread and makes a good point. It was insightful of you to start this thread and inspire fellow bikers.
Old 04-11-06, 05:29 AM
HAMMER MAN
Semper Fidelis

Bikes: Tiemeyer Road Bike & Ridley Domicles

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The big difference is not being able to use calf muscles for sprints and hills. I use quad and hamstring muscles to pedal and keep a fast cadence to keep the mass rotating.
______________________________________________________________________________________-
quads must be quite massive with the constant pulling-up motion..

curious
Do you ever stand to pedal? if so how much weight can you bare on the prosthetics, and if you push harder gearing does this effect your balance?.

A couple years back I rode with a guy for a while who was missing his left leg, all I can say he was one fast MOFO, to be honest i was quite astounded by his capabilities.

Thanks for the compliments, but it was not my intention to get sympathy. I was trying to answer questions because people are curious, and show some humor at the same time.
____________________________________________________________________-

I do not believe anyone thought you were after sympathy, I find it quite exhilirating and courageous to accept and overcome a challange like this.
Old 04-11-06, 07:48 AM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Very inspiring! I have only one eye, so I don't ride at night, and I have to be extra careful in traffic because of my reduced peripheral vision and depth perception. We adapt. Always think of what you CAN do, not what you can't. Most people make reasons for not being 'able' to do something, when in fact, they don't want to do it.

Congrats.
Old 04-11-06, 08:28 AM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
There was a magazine story about this guy. His drive train is on the left as he has only a left leg. Also some idiot stole his bike and then tried to sell it back to him because it was perfect for him to ride.
Old 04-11-06, 08:43 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Thanks for the compliments, but it was not my intention to get sympathy.
Not sympathy. This is very impressive.

Have you seen the Coke commercial where the old guy carrying the grocery bag schools the young man at basketball? At the end of the ad, one word comes up on the screen: "Respect"

Like it or not, I'm afraid you have just become an inspiration to many people on this forum.
Old 04-11-06, 09:00 AM
bikebuddha 

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I will never complain about my broken ribs again. Amazing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.