Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frame DIY builders #2

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Chinese/Taiwanese carbon frame DIY builders #2

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-17, 11:32 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Yar, speaking of... It updated. Says it arrived in NY today and cleared from customs today. As said, customs wasn't the problem.

It's more likely as rpenmanparker said, EMS waits until they have enough to ship or something, it's delay on their part.

It's not customs. I've had many items from EU and China arrive in 3-5 days. This is EMS inconsistent service. This is why I prefer DHL over EMS, when EMS is efficient, their value cost/service unmatched. But as others say, you get what you pay for. DHL/FedEx/UPS all guarantee certain time frame for express. It's clear to me EMS Express only guarantees it will be a few days faster than shipping something by boat.

As I reiterated before, it's the lies that irritated me.
- All of this occurred a week after Chinese New Year was over. I waited specifically until CNY was over to do this.
- I was told frame was in stock to shop at time of purchase. They really begged for quick payment while I thought it over.
- I was expecting it to ship 13th, I ordered Friday 10th.
- No communication for a week. It wasn't until I communicated that I was told it would be shipped the 22nd.
- Delay to 28th
- Delay to March 4th
- Wasn't shipped until 11th
- BikeForums member with same frame, ordered 2 days after me, received his frame week of the 4th.
- His frame didn't have seatpost. They shipped and it arrived in 7 days. He now has two shipments from WW arrive before my frame. Furious.
- Another WW customer received his on the 7th.
- I am furious.
- I was not told how EMS Express works as previous EMS Express purchases on Ebay/AliExpress were all in 5-7 days prior. The delay and lack of knowledge of where it was pissed me off. I was given the tracking number on the 4th, but it wasn't actually shipped to 11th. Both days are Saturdays, and no reason given why they didn't ship on the 4th.
- I was told frame was ready and in QC. I don't believe anyone QC a frame for two weeks. I have hard time believing a small factory like this QC every frame. Even Apple would not do this but do random batch item QC.

I'll have to see what is up with the dispute, since it already went through, not sure. But keeping the frame and not paying is certainly not the right thing to do, despite the awful communication. I'm am peeved that they delayed shipment from 22nd to 11th and opted to ship it two weeks... That is so irritating, as said, I offered to pay extra for expedited shipping.
At least the news is good now. Get the frame in hand soon and see how you feel. I suspect the wounds will (mostly) magically heal when you see what you've got.

I had a steel frame reworked and repainted a few years ago. It took about 5 months instead of 5 weeks and I was really antsy. But when I saw the result, I was very forgiving. It was worth it.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 03-27-17, 03:43 PM
Bluechip

Bikes: Salsa Fargo Ti, Cannondale CAAD9, Carbonello Fixed Gear, Specialized Epic Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
When I've ordered direct from China, I've just expected poor communication and lengthy shipping times and have been pleasantly surprised with the actual results (just Farsports rims so far).

People will soon get to whine about not getting their Canyon bikes in a timely manner here in the US too.

I am also considering a new frame now, possibly from Workswell. They've got three that are peaking my interest. 085, 093, and maybe the 095. With the last two I am sure there will be a substantial wait as they are new frames for them. While zymphad's experience is dissapointing, the many positive reviews outweighs a few bad ones.

Zymphad- I hope it arrives soon and it's what you are looking for.
Old 03-27-17, 04:10 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7666 Post(s)
Liked 3,529 Times in 1,857 Posts
I had been looking at the 085 but the 0993 gets me. 095 is gorgeous but I am not fast enough to benefit from all that aero. And the 093 makes my 066 look heavy.
Old 03-27-17, 04:37 PM
JMH714

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix SL4

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
What I really wanted is frameset that are designed for disc brake. 093, 085, and 066 are designed for rim brake. :-/

Since I already have Specialized Roubaix (rim brake) and would like to have another bike with disc brake along with carbon fiber wheels.
Old 03-27-17, 05:23 PM
cat0020
Ride more, eat less

Bikes: Too many but never enough.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 721 Post(s)
Liked 757 Times in 465 Posts
Originally Posted by zymphad
Seriously dude, this is not the first time someone has bought a frame, nor is it mine. Customs do not keep chinese carbon frames long. There are hundreds of postings that show they keep the frame around 1 day. That's it. There are no complications. Let it go, this is not the reason for the delay.
If you have not been given a specific reason for the delay, it is just as good of a possibility.
Old 03-27-17, 05:42 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Originally Posted by JMH714
What I really wanted is frameset that are designed for disc brake. 093, 085, and 066 are designed for rim brake. :-/

Since I already have Specialized Roubaix (rim brake) and would like to have another bike with disc brake along with carbon fiber wheels.
yeah, I am mixed on this.

For me my disc bike would be my commuter, my all-weather bike ... I just don't see enough benefit to discs vs the weight for a performance bike (nor do I perform on a bike, so ... what does "moot" mean anyway?)

I f were to get discs though, I would love to get carbon wheels ... I don't see ever getting CF rim-brake wheels .... or not until some "brake"throughs are made .... (ugh.) So .... lightweight CF frame and wheels, discs for all-weather ... but cannot really use good racks because it is a CF frame.

So ... Al frame, cf fork, discs ... and carbon wheels for a commuter? I guess, but the weight saved on the wheels is back with the rack. No way to win.

Like I need another bike anyway ......
Old 03-27-17, 06:18 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts

The 081 has a direct-mount, TA version available.
Old 03-27-17, 06:28 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Maelochs
yeah, I am mixed on this.

For me my disc bike would be my commuter, my all-weather bike ... I just don't see enough benefit to discs vs the weight for a performance bike (nor do I perform on a bike, so ... what does "moot" mean anyway?)

I f were to get discs though, I would love to get carbon wheels ... I don't see ever getting CF rim-brake wheels .... or not until some "brake"throughs are made .... (ugh.) So .... lightweight CF frame and wheels, discs for all-weather ... but cannot really use good racks because it is a CF frame.

So ... Al frame, cf fork, discs ... and carbon wheels for a commuter? I guess, but the weight saved on the wheels is back with the rack. No way to win.

Like I need another bike anyway ......
My next road bike will be disc if only because I want to be able to swap wheels between it and the gravel bike. Well, that and even the racy road disc frames seem to be able to accommodate 28c tires these days, which does a rather nice job on the cracks and bumps without much of a penalty. Oh, and then there's the braking - with the recently-installed hydros, one-finger braking from the hoods is easy peasy and the modulation is incredible.

Why wouldn't you be able to use "good" racks with a CF frame? How much are you going to load the thing?
Old 03-27-17, 07:07 PM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
The 081 has a direct-mount, TA version available.
Yeah, but it's aero bike. I don't want aero frame.

I'm the guy who like to ride bike casually and going places. So, endurance is ideal for me.
Old 03-27-17, 07:16 PM
zymphad

Bikes: Super Cheap gc3 approved Bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 572 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 30 Posts

They have a cyclocross frame, still race bike. 52 has 130 HT, so it's not endurance. But it's thru-axle option.

Also consider Flyxii. I had great communication, fast shipping from them. Only problem is they haven't updated to flat-mount yet, Flyxii needs to update most of their frames.

The Chinese factory direct haven't caught on to the trend with endurance disc. They are still focused on race bikes. I think that's because they sell to third parties and that's what they been wanting. Maybe once there is more demand we'll start to see them. There are a bunch of brands that rebrand these frames like PlanetX, Ribble, Nashbar etc.

Last edited by zymphad; 03-27-17 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-27-17, 07:22 PM
WhyFi

I'm the guy who like to ride bike casually and going places. So, endurance is ideal for me.
Ah, then why not the 125?
Old 03-27-17, 08:02 PM
zymphad

Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ah, then why not the 125?
Not bad, compared to 066. 53 in 125 vs 54 in 066, the stack is 551 vs 555. So there is more stack on the 066, 125 probably rides a little lower, cause the 125 Headtube is 130 compared to 148. But the 125 has shorter reach, so still elongated slightly more on the 066. 125 has more slack on the seatube and fork, and longer chainstay for more stable ride. 066 is going to feel quicker for sure. 066 has much shorter wheel base too. Overall, 125 might be a nice ride. Agreed, something to consider.

Although to consider, the 066 is not actually endurance, it's a race bike, it's the geometry of choice for general classification tour riders. Though the R3 is used in the classics and shares the same geometry as R5, go figure. But 066 should be compared to Emonda/Tarmac than Domane/Roubaix.

Comparing 125 to 2017 Roubaix, 53 vs 54. The wheel base is longer on the 125, more stable ride for gravel. Stack is massive on the Roubaix and reach also longer. But cause of stack, I believe the 125 is going to put you in a more aggressive position. HT height is a wash. Roubaix is definitely more relaxed on the seattube as well. Overall 125 is not as relaxed as an endurance, but I think it should be considered, it's a good suggestion.

These are just numbers. I think you'll get a better picture if you ask WorksWell for some pictures of complete bike with that frame. But the numbers say it's probably going to fit somewhat close to a competition CX frame, slightly more relaxed.

Last edited by zymphad; 03-27-17 at 08:15 PM.
Old 03-27-17, 08:54 PM
WhyFi

It's a gravel bike. Most gravel bikes are based on endurance geometry. I didn't look at all sizes, but in a 56, it's within a cm of a M/L Giant Defy in reach, stack, wheelbase, chain stay length, bb drop, etc, etc.
Old 03-29-17, 09:26 PM
zymphad

@Steve B. and others who either own FR-322 or curious between FR-322 and WCB-R-066

This was Flyxii FR-322

WCB-R-066

My quick impressions:
- I think this is fair comparison, the two bikes use the same components except 5700 vs 5800 components, but the cockpit, contact points are the same, and same wheels and tires.
- Flyxii communication and shipping times vastly superior experience
- WorksWell to their credit, did follow my request, the frame arrived with BB separate. The frame was over-packaged, good thing. Quality of the frame great.
- WorksWell is far easier to install cable and it shifts a lot smoother.
- WorksWell interior and quality is superior to Flyxii. I know on steerer tube of my Flyxii it had some fiberglass, WorksWell is 100% carbon. I had a lot of issues with shifting due to debris and mess inside FR-322. I hope Flyxii has rectified this in the 2 years I owned the frame.
- The ride quality is superior on 066 to FR-322 in every way. It's lighter, more compliant, and more comfortable over all.
- FR-322 is more aggressive, race to me, and a rougher ride.
- FR-322 is stiffer and more twitchy in the front, but 066 definitely superior in the BB, can definitely feel a difference pedaling.

Overall, I would recommend the 066 over the FR-322 in every way so far. 066 resolved the issues I had with the FR-322.

Also for those who are dissuaded by my experience, I would encourage you to take into consideration experience of others. Others had better experience than I. I don't know what went wrong, and I hope anyone who chooses to buy WorksWell because the 066 is unmatched for value, have a pleasant experience like others on BikeForums.

It's unbelievable to get a frame like 066 at this price $450 shipped w/ seatpost, seatpost clamp, BB and headset. This is just unheard of value considering what you get. Now that I have this frame built up and ridden it, I don't lust after Emonda SL6 or TCR Advanced. This bike is sexier than both of those and it rides well.

Last edited by zymphad; 03-29-17 at 09:37 PM.
Old 03-30-17, 05:07 AM
zymphad

Another gravel frame. Don't know much about the company, but they also use EPS tech, same tech being used by Giant to compact the carbon, reduce weight and reduce failures (gets rid of air bubbles etc).

CFR505 - Gravel - Carbonda Sports Equipment Co., Ltd.
Old 04-11-17, 03:34 AM
wachuko

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shipping from Hong Kong is always a gamble. I had a company send me two packages (this was very recently). They shipped them about a week apart. Second package arrived first. First package arrived 3 weeks later. So delays like that happen.

Thank you all for the postings. Looking to build a road bike and doing the research. So many vendors and until I found this thread, very little feedback on them.

This will be my first carbon bike. Looking to use an Ultegra 6800 group set. I want the frame to be with a 3K matte finish, no stickers, no paint. Not sure on wheels, seat, handlebar, handlebar clamp (newbie, so reading on options).

Carry on!
Old 04-11-17, 07:04 AM
JMH714

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm putting my CF building project on hold for a while. I spent too much money on my new computer and Oculus Rift.

That's fine since I already have CF bike.
Old 04-11-17, 03:25 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3280 Post(s)
Liked 2,119 Times in 1,195 Posts
My comments on the Flxyii FR322 after 8 mos. of use, so about 1000 miles.

I came from 2 different Tomasso carbon frames (as well as 10 other assorted steel and titanium and aluminum road frames over 25 years), the FR322 rides essentially the same, is actually less stiff in the front then my Agraziato (or whatever Tomasso calls it). I pretty much understand how to look at a geometry chart and understand how the frame will fit and handle, The Fr322 had no surprises.

Build up was as easy as I've had, the internal cable noodles made it painless, with a 5800 group.

I was particular in wanting a BSA bottom bracket and most certainly did not want a press-fit. That drove the decision about which frame, to a large degree. I was willing to consider other manufacturers as long as the BB was BSA.

Ordering, shipping etc.. was essentially painless, only hiccup was waiting 3 days for the frame to clear US Customs at JFK. In all else, dealing with Flyxii was straightforward, they quickly responded to e-mails.
Old 08-04-17, 11:44 AM
Mark52

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dengfu warning review

I just want to mention that I am not sponsored by any bike company. I decided to buy frame from China and build my road bike. After some investigation, I decided to approach Dengfu and after few e mails we agreed to price and they shipped me the frame. It was fast and my frame came nice packed. And it is only good thing I can write about this company. After reviewing frame, I have discovered some dent and sort of crack at upper tube. Did some pictures and send them asking for next steps. Right away they indicated that it must happened during shipping even so I mentioned to them that the packing was OK. They did not trust me and asked me to send some pictures of the box. I did so and then they asked me to find place to repair here in Canada. Slowly I got offended but I tried to find the places. They finally offered me to repair if I send it back. Working with this material in my professional life I knew that it was defect from molding process and or was damaged during sanding operation. I gave up and decided to take my loss. I finished building the bike. After riding for couple of month now the crack is enlarging so I have decided to stop riding on my Dengfu frame and went back to my old Giant.
I still believe that they are some good company in China standing behind their product but it is not Dengfu. Dengfu did not check the product before shipping to me. It was obvious defect.
Any suggestion about some good company selling frames?
Old 08-04-17, 01:16 PM
Maelochs

Thanks for the post, Mark52.

I think possibly if you had fought harder, they'd have replaced the frame ... but who knows?

As others have said, Workswell is a quality company offering a quality product. The only complaint I have is that they will ship when it suits them ... I think they wait until they have enough orders to fill a shipping container ... but they will assure you "Bike's in the mail ....'

But even though it might take a week or five weeks, when that package comes you will not be disappointed.
Old 09-03-17, 04:08 PM
JodyBikeMex

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi folks, so I invested in a Dengfu FM098 and received the bike last week. The problem is that when they asked me if I needed a headset I told them that I have one. Which I do, I was going to use it for the building of this frame. Having now gotten the frame I realise that my headset is too small for the FM098 frame. I contacted Dengfu about this and they said I would need a 1'' 1/8 for the top and 1 1/2 for the bottom. Which is fine but the cups are far bigger than that, my current untapered headset is 1 1/8 and is far too small to sit in to the cups. Does anyone know what size I need to get for these? I don't think I can wait another four weeks for shipping a headset!!
Old 09-03-17, 05:20 PM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by JodyBikeMex
Hi folks, so I invested in a Dengfu FM098 and received the bike last week. The problem is that when they asked me if I needed a headset I told them that I have one. Which I do, I was going to use it for the building of this frame. Having now gotten the frame I realise that my headset is too small for the FM098 frame. I contacted Dengfu about this and they said I would need a 1'' 1/8 for the top and 1 1/2 for the bottom. Which is fine but the cups are far bigger than that, my current untapered headset is 1 1/8 and is far too small to sit in to the cups. Does anyone know what size I need to get for these? I don't think I can wait another four weeks for shipping a headset!!
You must be doing something wrong. How much is too big? It is unlikely the top of the steerer tube is not for 1 1/8. The bearings should be angular. They don't bear on the sides of the cup, only on the inside edge of the bottom. It doesn't have to be a tight fit. It just drops in. And you do know the inside diameter measurement of the bearing is 1 1/8", not the outside diameter, right?

What kind of Head tube does your existing frame have: integrated or conventional with pressed in cups?

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 09-04-17, 05:57 PM
Masque

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, 2011 and 2017

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Photos would be very helpful here!
Old 09-04-17, 06:10 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3280 Post(s)
Liked 2,119 Times in 1,195 Posts
Originally Posted by JodyBikeMex
Which begs the question did you have a 1-1/8 x 1-1/2 headset or a regular 1-1/8 upper/lower ?, which might be why the old headset doesn't fit.

I just covered my bases and had Flyxii sell me the headset that fit the fork.

You can get a 1-1/8 x 1/1/2, I think Cane Creek makes them as does FSA.
Old 09-10-17, 06:43 PM
JodyBikeMex

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Which begs the question did you have a 1-1/8 x 1-1/2 headset or a regular 1-1/8 upper/lower ?, which might be why the old headset doesn't fit.

I just covered my bases and had Flyxii sell me the headset that fit the fork.

You can get a 1-1/8 x 1/1/2, I think Cane Creek makes them as does FSA.
Thanks a million. I got back on to Dengfu who told me exactly what to get, a Neco tapered headset is what they use for future reference!! Turns out that I had the 1/8 all over so that explains a lot. Off to buy a wire cutters tomorrow and the build should be completed un time for next weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.