Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

NBC Sports Gold

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

NBC Sports Gold

Old 06-13-18, 11:53 AM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
NBC Sports Gold

Maybe this belongs in a different forum so please move if so but...

I cut the cable in Feb but there are a few things I look forward to watching each year, such as the TdF.

NBC SPORTS GOLD LAUNCHES 2018-19 ?CYCLING PASS? INCLUDING START TO FINISH COVERAGE OF EVERY STAGE OF THE 2018 TOUR DE FRANCE | NBC Sports Pressbox

NBC offers a paid subscription (see link). If any of you have this, can you watch an event after it's aired or is it live TV only? Obviously there are some time zone challenges.

TIA
Old 06-13-18, 12:03 PM
TassR700

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Gary Fisher Tassajara; Motobecane Boris Fatbike; Cannondale Habit

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
From the below, it looks like there will be ability to replay:

NBC Sports Gold’s live stream of the 2018 Tour de France also includes access to a live GPS tracking map to follow the riders’ progress, an enhanced interactive map for each stage, the ability to pause the video, full stage video replay, highlights, and short*‐form video clips, and more.
Old 06-13-18, 12:04 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

AHA! Missed that, thank you.
Old 06-13-18, 02:13 PM
pesty
Master Sarcaster

Bikes: 2018 Allez Sprint, 2016 Trek Crockett Canti

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have it, on-demand replay is usually available within a couple hours of the original broadcast. That being said, depending on if you're watching the Gold coverage (full stage from pre-start to finish with [I think] Matthew Keenan and Robbie McEwen) or the NBCSN coverage (only the Paul and Phil bit at the end and what you'd get on cable/satelite), they sometimes re-run the NBCSN coverage right after the finish of the stage presentations. With Gold you can watch either feed, but they completely black out streaming of the TdF on NBCSN if you don't have gold.

I will say that the last few years their streaming has been buggy and spotty for about the first week. Hopefully they fix that, they got tons of complaints on FB and Twitter about it.
Old 06-13-18, 03:14 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Had it last year. Letting my account expire effective next week. Several issues to know:

A) The subscription runs July->July. No prorating. No extension byond the next July if you subscribe in August. If you register in the middle of that period you don't get your money's worth.

B) Some events are covered (several CX events too)....LOTS are not. Namely Giro. Several of the Classics IIRC.

C) NBC is VERY anti-privacy. Their page will not even load properly behind a privacy VPN. Their player pages break if you run Ghostery or other tracker/script blockers.

D) Hit or miss compatibility with browsers...due to their goofball script-happy spyware site, some browsers work some don't...I frequently had to hit F5 again and again because it wouldn't load the damn player right.

My Eurosport subscription is back working, they're getting my money and my business. NBC can go and shove it.
Old 06-13-18, 03:14 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Well, I no longer have NBCSN, so it's either gold or nothing. Might as well give it a whirl.

Paying $49 once a year for stuff I WANT to watch is more palatable than paying $145 each month for most of the stuff I never watch.
Old 06-13-18, 03:45 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
You'll find more discussion of NBC Gold and other options in the Professional Cycling For the Fans sub-forum. I got NBC Gold just before the 2017 Vuelta a Espana. I can go back an see the 2017 TDF or any other event that is within that subscription cycle. I'm renewing for the next cycle which does start just before the 2018 TDF. It is still my understanding that I'll be able to go back and replay the events covered by the previous subscription period as well as replay any event for the current subscription that has aired. You don't have to watch live.
Old 06-13-18, 04:00 PM
undertheradar

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If I renew this year, this will be my third year. It works perfectly with my Apple TV. I don't remember ever running into any issues.

I will say I'm a little bummed on the price jump, I think it was $19 the first year, $29 last year and now $49.
Old 06-13-18, 05:11 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
2018-2019 Gold events listed today:

Following is the schedule for NBC Sports Gold’s 2018-19 “Cycling Pass”:
  • Tour de France – July 7-29, 2018
  • La Course by Le Tour – July 17, 2018
  • Prudential RideLondon Classique – July 28, 2018
  • Prudential RideLondon Classic – July 29, 2018
  • Colorado Classic – August 16-19, 2018
  • Vuelta a Espana – August 25-September 16, 2018
  • Madrid Challenge by La Vuelta – September 16, 2018
  • UCI Mountain Bike World Championships – September 8-9, 2018
  • UCI Road World Championships – September 23-30, 2018
  • Paris-Tours – October 7, 2018
  • Santos Tour Down Under – January 13-20, 2019
  • Paris-Nice – March 3-10, 2019
  • Paris-Roubaix – April 7, 2019
  • La Fleche Wallonne, April 17, 2019
  • Liege-Bastogne-Liege – April 21, 2019
  • Amgen Tour of California – May 12-18, 2019
  • Criterium du Dauphine – June 2-9, 2019
  • UCI Track Cycling World Cup – TBD
  • UCI Cyclo-cross World Cup – TBD
Schedule is subject to change.
Old 06-13-18, 05:45 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by Iride01
You'll find more discussion of NBC Gold and other options in the Professional Cycling For the Fans sub-forum. I got NBC Gold just before the 2017 Vuelta a Espana. I can go back an see the 2017 TDF or any other event that is within that subscription cycle. I'm renewing for the next cycle which does start just before the 2018 TDF. It is still my understanding that I'll be able to go back and replay the events covered by the previous subscription period as well as replay any event for the current subscription that has aired. You don't have to watch live.

Perfect, thanks.
Old 06-13-18, 05:48 PM
superdex
staring at the mountains

Bikes: Obed GVR, Fairdale Goodship, Salsa Timberjack 29

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 197 Times in 112 Posts
might be my last year renewing it. $20 was great. $30 was ok. Now, $50? Considering Le Tour is really the only one that seems to be exclusively NBC (in the States anyway), for other races you can find other options like flobikes.com and fubo.tv (though fubo is an astronomical $50/MONTH, but you get like everything, including regular channels, movies, etc. It's a serious cord-cutter's option). Fubo's support is great (quick response and quick resolution) and they seem willing to hear feature ideas.

steephill.tv bike travelogue and procycling live coverage is good for listing the coverage, if you're willing to sometimes accidentally see results.

Oh, and it's worth hunting for another option than Phil and Paul. And the decision to groom VdV is just more of the same. He's not a plus-one in that booth (as much as I want to like him). Heck, I got used to watching CX last year in Dutch via youtube. Seemed appropriate.

with NBC Sports Gold, you do get to replay, and they hang onto the events for a long time. Until the subscription renews, then the whole system resets -- last year I was a few days behind watching the Tour de Suisse and when Le Tour started, all the previous videos went poof.

So, might barely be worth $50 for the year, if you're willing to find some other options for the Giro and some of the spring classics....
Old 06-13-18, 06:13 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6177 Post(s)
Liked 4,794 Times in 3,306 Posts
For some of the small and less important races, sound quality has been an issue for NBC Gold. It is often just one announcer and sometimes I think he just forgot to turn on his mic. It's also been more apparent that the production department and resources he has is much more scaled back.

Video coverage itself is not under their direct control. They are just commenting on the feeds they are given, though perhaps they have some control of what feed you see. Sometimes, maybe many times you only get the last hour or two of the race. You also don't see the same commentators as you do on NBCSN. Though for the bigger or more favorite races you might see some of them. Some users are glad not to hear them and others might miss that at first. But for the price, it's still worth it to me. They seemed to have gotten slightly better the last few months. But they don't carry the Giro. So you have to look elsewhere for that. Supposedly FUBOtv can be cancelled for just the cost of the month you had it if you want to see the Giro.

It makes a difference in the controls and user interface whether you view it on something like an Amazon fire TV or through your computer browser. I find the computer browser gives you marginally better user controls. Fast forwarding being my big annoyance. Neither lets you see a video frame to know where you might be. You just have to go by time and how long you think it will take to get to the climb or mid-course sprint you want to see. I typically use the app on the Fire TV box though since it's always hooked to the TV.

Last edited by Iride01; 06-13-18 at 06:18 PM.
Old 06-13-18, 06:40 PM
sevenmag

Bikes: 1976 Raleigh,2015 Bianchi Intenso, 2012 Specialized Secteur.

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I've had NBC Sports Gold for the last 2 years. I do still have Directv and NBCSN is in my package. After the TdF is over they generally lower the price 10 bucks for the remainder of the year so I take advantage of that. All the races are available for replay for rest of the year. I do wish they could find a way to get the Giro added though.
Old 06-13-18, 09:12 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
Had it last year. Letting my account expire effective next week. Several issues to know:

A) The subscription runs July->July. No prorating. No extension byond the next July if you subscribe in August. If you register in the middle of that period you don't get your money's worth.

B) Some events are covered (several CX events too)....LOTS are not. Namely Giro. Several of the Classics IIRC.

C) NBC is VERY anti-privacy. Their page will not even load properly behind a privacy VPN. Their player pages break if you run Ghostery or other tracker/script blockers.

D) Hit or miss compatibility with browsers...due to their goofball script-happy spyware site, some browsers work some don't...I frequently had to hit F5 again and again because it wouldn't load the damn player right.

My Eurosport subscription is back working, they're getting my money and my business. NBC can go and shove it.
Not sure I understand the July to July part.

If I subscribe now in June, will it end this July?

If so, does it end before or after the TDF?
Old 06-13-18, 09:26 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by f4rrest
Not sure I understand the July to July part.

If I subscribe now in June, will it end this July?

If so, does it end before or after the TDF?
Good catch, I done goofed. It is June(7th 2018) -June (10th 2019)now.

Last year was end of June to end of June I think...least I got my auto-renew warning that next week I'd be billed again.
Old 06-14-18, 01:01 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

I assume you're in the US and you have some sort of VPN to spoof your country for Eurosport to work?

I didn't mention it but part of *MY* issue is that whatever solution I come up with has to be user friendly so my wife can use it. (C'mon, turn on the TV, turn on the receiver, pick the source and then grab the fireTV remote... I did that but it's still not working..... oh, that's because you managed to change the input on the TV from receiver to amazon)

It's job security.
Old 06-14-18, 01:11 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
I assume you're in the US and you have some sort of VPN to spoof your country for Eurosport to work?

I didn't mention it but part of *MY* issue is that whatever solution I come up with has to be user friendly so my wife can use it. (C'mon, turn on the TV, turn on the receiver, pick the source and then grab the fireTV remote... I did that but it's still not working..... oh, that's because you managed to change the input on the TV from receiver to amazon)

It's job security.
Bingo.

Problem with streaming...it never is KISS friendly in practice. Not with a sport that gets basically zero air-time on KISS TV in the USA. NBCGold has an app for Android/iOS at least. Of course, the more KISS friendly you try to make a system--the more tech-adaptability atrophies in users. Have people in the family who don't know the difference between "SMS" and "email" or "files" and "folders" and so on. It is maddening.

Eurosport has a streaming app too...but on location-aware hardware (like a GPS-enabled phone/tablet) a VPN spoof isn't enough to fool it.
Old 06-14-18, 01:40 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Have people in the family who don't know the difference between "SMS" and "email" or "files" and "folders" and so on. It is maddening.
THE STRUGGLE IS REAL!

Oddly enough, kids are theoretically so tech savvy but IMO they're app-savvy. Different. Can't even program a toaster.
Old 06-14-18, 01:53 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
Last year was end of June to end of June I think...least I got my auto-renew warning that next week I'd be billed again.
I'm glad they sent me that message - I cancelled my auto-renew. Since I had to use other methods to see De Ronde, I decided I could use those same methods to see Le Tour. The APP and the Roku channel were just not nice enough.
Old 06-14-18, 05:12 PM
MattyMurdah

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Cross // 2014 Scott Addict 10

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The NBC Sports Gold package definitely misses coverage (eg: Tour de Suisse) which I supplement using Tiz Cycling. Anybody on here ever stream from Tiz?
Old 06-14-18, 05:23 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by MattyMurdah
The NBC Sports Gold package definitely misses coverage (eg: Tour de Suisse) which I supplement using Tiz Cycling. Anybody on here ever stream from Tiz?
Particularly the Giro d'Italia
Old 06-14-18, 05:27 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
The audio quality is often horrendous.with cycle noise, motorbike, helicopter overwhelming the announcer narration. Sometimes there is foreign language coverage over the top of the coverage which makes a jumbled mess. You think they could dole out a little money for some professional sound mixing.

The coverage of cycling on the outdoor network was superb - the announcers, the races covered, the sound quality and the amount of coverage.. And it was free on my cable! Then NBC bought the network, wrecked it in all ways, and charge $50/yr for the privilege.

Last edited by GeneO; 06-14-18 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-14-18, 06:58 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Originally Posted by GeneO
The audio quality is often horrendous.with cycle noise, motorbike, helicopter overwhelming the announcer narration. Sometimes there is foreign language coverage over the top of the coverage which makes a jumbled mess. You think they could dole out a little money for some professional sound mixing.

The coverage of cycling on the outdoor network was superb - the announcers, the races covered, the sound quality and the amount of coverage.. And it was free on my cable! Then NBC bought the network, wrecked it in all ways, and charge $50/yr for the privilege.
True but you can still get NBCSN on your cable provider for... ostensibly free or at least included. I don't recall if I had to upgrade to some package or other with DTV to get NBCSN, I suspect not.
Old 06-14-18, 07:04 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
My son wants to watch the World Cup. Called my cable company, and can restart cable for an extra $40 per month. I just have Internet currently.

AND.....I can cancel within 30 days w/ "money back guarantee"....So I may get it for free.

Perhaps a similar option is available for TdF coverage ?

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-14-18, 07:19 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by GeneO

Very true. Least it used to be. Been a long while since I relied on NBCGold for streaming. OTOH at least with the CX coverage that wasn't the case....because for CX you don't need to have helicopter relays in the air.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.