Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Concussed

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-18, 06:50 PM
jfan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Concussed

I took a spill last night and conked my head really good. My helmet cracked and I received 6 stitches on the left side of my head. I don't remember anything about the ride, not even starting it. The accident happened about 4 miles into the ride. I remember putting some chicken in the oven, and then nothing until being in the neuro unit at the hospital. My wife said that I was asking questions repeatedly and was very disoriented, and I don't remember any of that. The MRI was negative for any bleeds and xrays were negative for any fractures. I have road rash on the L side of my body and arm. I'm still having a lot of memory issues, but the doctor said that this was common for a severe concussion and should resolve in time. They kept me overnight for observation and sent me home today. I have no clue as to what happened. Someone called the paramedics, there were no witnesses, and I'm left wondering. Luckily there was a carry out on the corner and they secured my bike for me (supposedly it looks undamaged).This is scary folks....wear your helmet. I'd probably be dead now if I didn't. Sorry about the fragmented post. Anyone else experience something similar?
Old 06-24-18, 07:01 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I'm very happy that you are still with us to post.

An aquaintance had a similar episode. He called his wife and said, "I'm on the side of the road lying down. I'm tired." and could not tell her where he was except that he was lying on the side of the road somewhere. Doesn't remember a thing.
Old 06-24-18, 07:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Glad you're doing reasonably well all things considered. Be sure you have a family member or friend to check on you at least once a day for the next week. Concussion effects are often delayed. Ask them to watch for sudden bouts of confusion, mood swings, etc. Those can be symptoms of underlying physical complications.

Even without additional physical complications you may experience PTSD. If you suddenly feel depressed, unusually angry, anything out of the ordinary, don't hesitate to talk with a psychiatrist or psychologist about therapy.

After my car was t-boned in 2001, breaking my back and neck (no unconsciousness or memory loss, but probably some concussion), as I recovered physically from the shock and early pain I began experiencing tunnel vision in traffic and, worse, road rage over minor stuff. After two incidents in which family members were passengers while I was driving and chasing down other drivers, I realized I needed help. I went into one on one therapy for a couple of years, took the psych meds prescribed by a really good psychiatrist, and avoided unnecessary driving until I got myself under control. After five years I weaned myself off the meds (fairly typical stuff - depakote, Wellbutrin - which also reduced my migraines).

Made a huge difference in improving my life, and I still practice the same techniques when riding my bike. Before each ride I go through a mental prep, reminders to stay alert, stay calm, ignore unintentional close calls, react appropriately to threats only when absolutely necessary and always defensively rather than aggressively. I'll walk away rather than fight. Traffic tiffs aren't important enough for anyone to get hurt. And most importantly to smile and acknowledge every courtesy shown by drivers. And the same method worked last month when I was struck by an inattentive driver. No tantrums, everything was handled as well as possible under the circumstances, and nobody was alienated or verbally abused in public.

And absolutely yes regarding the helmet. In years of riding bikes and many crashes I'd never struck my head... until last month. Even as I was falling I was telling myself to fall a certain way, keep my head up, etc. But my shoulder hit hard and snapped audibly. And in the instant I tried to avoid hitting my head, it smacked the pavement moderately hard but not enough to crack the shell. Helmet did its job, no loss of consciousness, no symptoms of concussion.

Other than the indoor trainer I've been off the bike since. But last night I started shopping for a new helmet. I knew if I ordered one sooner I'd be too tempted to ride outdoors before my ortho doc cleared me. Another week or so and I'll be ready.
Old 06-24-18, 07:47 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Scary stuff, yeah! Did anybody see the fall and so was able to tell you how it happened?
Old 06-24-18, 08:02 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Don't hesitate to follow up with a healthcare provider if you have issues in the near future. Or to assess your recovery progress.

I have wasted a lot of money on helmets since 1976 - have never struck pavement, car, light post, etc. with one - but will continue to wear one always when riding.
Old 06-24-18, 08:12 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I went down a few years ago. Riding with one other cyclist, had a vague recollection of clearing his rear wheel but nothing after that. Was knocked out for a minute, asked the same questions repeatedly, got a ride home from a nearby railway worker. Didn't remember the ride home but was cognizant enough to give him directions to my place. Not too coordinated in the shower and still asking same questions of my wife. Went to a movie (near a hospital) that afternoon with the family and they kept an eye on me. Didn't have any further symptoms but memory of the incident never came back. To this day I have no idea what happened. Took the next day off and then rode again. Don't recall how I felt but checked my diary and noticed I took 4 days off the bike which is unusual.
Old 06-24-18, 10:02 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
Way back in high school I was riding my BMX down a nice steep hill, (we used to chase and pass cars on it) and I ran into my football coach who was coming up the hill in his little Honda Civic. I remember nothing from about 5 minutes before the wreck till I woke up the next morning with a cast on my arm.

Back in grammar school I went head first into a fence post holding up the chain link fence playing touch football and lost the whole school day, my memory started working again at some point during football practice after school.

I haven't had any concussions with long periods of memory loss as an adult although I've had a couple where I lost a few minutes.
Old 06-24-18, 11:13 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
About 7 years ago, I had the same exact problem, except my memory is clear up till the crash. I recall waking up in an ambulance, and later asking the ER Dr. "Did a car hit me?" He said, "You keep asking me that". Concussion, broken arm, compound wrist fracture, stitches in face. They put a plate in my arm, and I went home the next day. I clearly remember riding on a windy day, seeing tree trimmers across the street ...then...nothing, till the ambulance ride. A cop found me laying in the traffic lane of a busy 4 lane street. He said I was on my stomach in a push up position, and talking to him. He brought my bike home and gave my wife a business card. I later tracked down the fire dept EMTs and thanked them, and sent the cop a letter of appreciation, copied to the police chief. Spooky, having this black hole in my ride. Was told it is common with concussion. I was wearing a helmet. My Carrera wire frame sun glasses did a number on my face. I wear plastic frames now. One wierd thing, for several months later I had trouble processing speed during high speed descents. The crash I had was low speed, under 15mph, slightly uphill. I was told I hit a hard green pine cone, while looking left to set up for a left turn. It's all good now. At no time was I aware of pain. They had me on good drugs, and had my arm splinted and set before I knew anything. Wierd, but it gets better. I was hit by a car in 2002, no real injuries, and the entire incident is crystal clear, and I can play it frame by frame in my head. This one, no idea, and wierd as it sounds, I like that better. Both crashes happened on the same street, a couple of miles apart. I got hurt in late April, and was back on the bike July 4, with an arm brace.

Wear your helmet. Stupid not to. My bro in law had a very similar low speed crash, concussion, brain bleed, broken shoulder, lacerations. He doesn't wear, or even own a helmet. He was so out of it, he checked himself out of ICU at 1am and caught a cab home. That's really dumb, but luckily he survived. Its coming up on a year for him, and he hasn't been on his bike since. I love riding too much and am thankful to be ridng again. Take care and get better.
Old 06-25-18, 01:10 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Speedy recovery to you. Maybe these stories will shake some common sense into the anti-helmeters. I know because I was once one. A concussion can change your mind quickly, if you have one left to change.

Old 06-25-18, 04:04 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 638 Times in 395 Posts
In April a 93 year old lady hit me with her car. I have no memory of it. I remember riding down a rural road on a peaceful Sat morning, then my next memory is laying on a stretcher being loaded into an ambulance. Then my next memory is walking out of the hospital with my daughter to go home. I spent about 3 hours in the hospital I don't remember. Bad concussion that messed me up for about 3 weeks. The lady claimed her side mirror hit me and knocked me off my bike but my rear wheel was toast so I think she just rear ended me. Aside from my concussion I broke a rib and a few other minor owies. I would say my helmet very possibly saved my life. This was the first time in 31 years of road cycling that I ever went down for any reason. I never even had an accidental solo crash before.
Old 06-25-18, 04:18 AM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I've had several gnarly crashes, and while I didnt hit my head in any of them, I was really glad I had a helmet on every time. Only truly clueless people think they wont need one and can ''roll with it'' if they get go down for some reason.

Glad you're ok, OP.
Old 06-25-18, 05:07 AM
Witterings

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
As a young kid I was riding down my parents steep road probably doing about 30 / 35mph on the pavement without a helmet, Ian Stewart of The Rolling Stones had a young lad who was cycling around the circular driveway and out onto the pavement and hit me side on.

Earlier in the day I'd been out shopping with my mum and had absolutely no recollection to this day of the clothes I'd bought in the morning and when I was in hospital apparently just kept saying the same thing again and again and again .... I do remember there was a picture of a Lamborghini on the wall and I think I said to my dad about 10 times ... how about that for your next car.

In only started wearing a helmet a couple of years ago after a few people we know had close shaves and were largely saved by their helmet, now I'd never cycle without one.

Last edited by Witterings; 06-25-18 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-25-18, 06:34 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Be sure you have a family member or friend to check on you at least once a day for the next week.
...or longer.

My father-in-law tripped and hit his head. Four or five months later he began having cognitive issues. He had a subdural hematoma...or a "slow leak" as he called it.
Old 06-25-18, 07:15 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
...or longer.

My father-in-law tripped and hit his head. Four or five months later he began having cognitive issues. He had a subdural hematoma...or a "slow leak" as he called it.
Good advice.

I suffered a subdural hematoma from a blow to the head.

The blow occurred on April 2016. Symptoms like nausea and vomiting did not appear until July.

It was not until December that symptons got bad enough for me to finally see a doctor and get an MRI.

I went from the MRI to emergency surgery to stem the very slow bleeding.

Moral of the story: any blow to the head, especially as one gets older, is potentially dangerous.
Old 06-25-18, 08:45 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6969 Post(s)
Liked 10,967 Times in 4,692 Posts
First, I am glad that you are fundamentally alright.

Second, your symptoms are pretty consistent with a concussion - it's common to not remember anything from the event, and even from a significant period before and after the event.

Third, I appreciate your reminder about helmets. I try to not get too casual, and even put on a helmet to take a spin around the block.

Follow medical advice, heal up, and get back on the bike! Oh, but buy a new helmet first.
Old 06-25-18, 09:23 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I posted above but with all the helmet reminders, thought I'd add this. I was working on my bike the other day. I wanted to take a spin around the block to check things out, but was too lazy to go get my shoes on, so I jumped on the bike wearing flip flops. I went back and grabbed my helmet. Must have been quite a sight, flip flops and a helmet. Safety first.
Old 06-25-18, 10:37 AM
dufeau

Bikes: '77 Trek TX-900 | 2003 Circle A fixie | 70s PUCH pathfinder | '50s unknown pathracer | 70's Libertas | 70s Romani | Gitane folder

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
First, I hope you can have your wife read these postings to you--follow your physician's advice, which generally is no screen time or reading for a week or so.

Second, you will be back in the saddle again, but not for a little while. I had a similar incident--winged by a wing mirror, ~15-20 minutes of missing memory, cracked helmet and busted wrist. Apparently, I kept asking the first responders if my bike was okay! No memory until I arrived at hospital.

Recovery took a few weeks. Some symptoms were slow to develop but eventually resolved. These included fatigue after minimal exertion (first couple of weeks) and a bit of vertigo.

Take it easy, and get back to us in a few weeks when you start assessing your bike!
Old 06-25-18, 10:48 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,994 Times in 2,665 Posts
Glad you are relatively OK! Take your time and recover and relax and get better soon!
Old 06-25-18, 12:32 PM
rgconner

Bikes: Curtis Inglis Road, 80's Sekai touring fixie

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
I was knocked out in a motorcycle accident, taking a blow to the based of the neck and back of head that would have killed me without a full helm.

Had weird moments when someone would mention something, and a flood of lost memory would come back in a rush.

The most significant was a friend of mine that thought I was mad at him. We worked together for 8 years and we went on a week long fishing trip for my 40th birthday.

Did not recognize him from Adam until he called me and asked me why I never called/emailed and was I mad at him for something.

Felt like getting hit again when all the memories came rushing back, triggered a massive migraine.

Anyway, be prepared for weird shtuff like that.
Old 06-25-18, 12:59 PM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Originally Posted by exmechanic89
I've had several gnarly crashes, and while I didnt hit my head in any of them, I was really glad I had a helmet on every time. Only truly clueless people think they wont need one and can ''roll with it'' if they get go down for some reason.
And the really clueless think they'll never get into an accident because they ride safely.
Old 06-25-18, 02:44 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed
I posted above but with all the helmet reminders, thought I'd add this. I was working on my bike the other day. I wanted to take a spin around the block to check things out, but was too lazy to go get my shoes on, so I jumped on the bike wearing flip flops. I went back and grabbed my helmet. Must have been quite a sight, flip flops and a helmet. Safety first.
I've done that, except I put the bike in the car and drove out of town for the weekend because my daughter had some sporting commitments... thought I'd sneak in some rides, had some GREAT routes planned, right up until I discovered I left my shoes at home. Went out with flip flops instead, which is really hard with speedplays.

Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
And the really clueless think they'll never get into an accident because they ride safely.
That's why it's called an accident, yo.

I had a single rider accident just about two years ago, tagged a curb and went down a gravel embankment. Would have cracked my skull on some of the larger rocks for sure. Helmet probably didn't save my life but it saved me a ton of trouble. Separated shoulder, bleeding all over the right side of my body from road rash but my noggin was intact.

The law in California requires kids under 18 to wear a helmet when cycling. I do so enjoy seeing families out cycling, kids in helmets, parents bare-headed. SMH.
Old 06-25-18, 05:23 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
I remember one afternoon a couple of years ago when a neighbor saw my wife and I about to take off for a ride and asked in all seriousness 'why are you guys wearing helmets, are you afraid you're gonna crash'? So I guess in the same way you should only put on your seatbelt in your car if you think you might crash?
Old 06-25-18, 09:17 PM
Metieval

Bikes: Road bike, Hybrid, Gravel, Drop bar SS, hard tail MTB

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1218 Post(s)
Liked 298 Times in 214 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
That's why it's called an accident, yo.

I had a single rider accident just about two years ago, tagged a curb and went down a gravel embankment. Would have cracked my skull on some of the larger rocks for sure. Helmet probably didn't save my life but it saved me a ton of trouble. Separated shoulder, bleeding all over the right side of my body from road rash but my noggin was intact.

The law in California requires kids under 18 to wear a helmet when cycling. I do so enjoy seeing families out cycling, kids in helmets, parents bare-headed. SMH.
My neighbor died walking to mailbox to get mail. Slipped on ice and hit his head. A tragic and fatal accident.

I like to see people walking to get mail, but bare-headed? SMH
Old 06-25-18, 10:32 PM
raceboy

Bikes: One of each: Road, Hybrid, Trekking

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 115 Times in 53 Posts
Race car accident when I was 19 sent me into a coma for 2 weeks. I am extremely fortunate to have staged a 98% recovery. I even went back to racing cars about 4 months later. I initially couldn’t remember the last week before the car crash. Eventually I was able to recall everything up to the beginning of the race.

Fast forward to 2 years ago when I was 60. Took a bike spill and received a concussion with symptoms almost exactly as you describe. I can’t remember the fall at all. I was told the memory might come back and it might not. So far it hasn’t.

YMMV...Your Memory May Vary! I am very diligent about wearing my helmet. Since this bike fall, I have stopped the banzai downhill runs as a safety measure and always ride well within my limits. I’ll still have a bit of a go, but the Tour de France guys def have nothing to worry about.
Old 06-26-18, 01:49 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Obligatory Jose Jimenez routine.

"Jose, is that your crash helmet?"

"Oh, I hope not."

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.