Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Mike

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-19, 06:26 AM
Doraglier
本当の事か?日本語は余り難しくない。

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mike

I've decided to start using bicycles to aid in my daily life, since I do all my commuting on foot it takes at least a whole hour to get just about anywhere I need to, and shopping isn't all that fun with a +40kg backpack on the way back.

The only reason I've been avoiding bikes, such an obvious choice, was to avoid complexity. Getting into bikes means spending countless hours doing research, learning how to fix, assemble, disassemble, clean and all other details, without mentioning all the time I'll have to spend actually using them to gather real experience and grasp the thing strongly, all of which I already have and know with walking. After climbing a treetop and spending a week over there I decided that I was going to do it. In addition to daily researches, I also joined the forum. I hope you guys can help me somehow!

Best regards
Doraglier
Old 03-07-19, 06:58 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Hi Mike!

I would go for a SS bike to minimise hassles.

Good luck and keep hanging out in the trees!
Old 03-07-19, 08:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
welcome to the forum. you made a good choice. this is an active forum. did you say you spent a week in a tree? that sounds rough!
Old 03-07-19, 09:13 AM
daoswald

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse -- 2014 Cannondale Quick CX

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 54 Posts
I'd get a comfortable fitting commute-oriented hybrid and ask the shop to add fenders, rack, a pannier or two, a couple bottle cages, a strong U lock, and if you may use it at night, lights. Outfit it once right and be done with it. I have a Cannondale Quick CX set up similarly and love it for commuting and errands.

A fixie is less complex. These are two totally different approaches and one or the other may suit you best: Minimal or fully outfitted. Neither is right for everyone.

It costs $150-$300 more to go fully outfitted. But the accoutrements are very nice to have on a utility ride.
Old 03-07-19, 11:35 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
I would also review proper riding techniques for your safety and enjoyment. LAB offers these 1 minute youtubes that will be very helpful. If you are left with any questions or need clarity, you could post again to get an answer. https://www.bikeleague.org/ridesmartvideos . Unfortunately, most of our parents and schools did not do a great job of teaching safe and helpful bicycling techniques.
Old 03-07-19, 11:47 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
Oh my God. Get a cheap old Trek and a trailer. Lube the chain. Don’t overthink it.
Old 03-07-19, 11:54 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Also, this is what I would expect out of Brasil:

Old 03-07-19, 12:09 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,980 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by Doraglier
I've decided to start using bicycles to aid in my daily life, since I do all my commuting on foot it takes at least a whole hour to get just about anywhere I need to,
Dude. The amount of time you spend on bike maintenance will be far less than the amount of time you save by not walking even one day.

But 40kg is a huge load, yeah, need a trailer.
Old 03-07-19, 12:30 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
Also, this is what I would expect out of Brasil:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO7_Fq56g2c
Where's the 40kg of groceries?....

Okay, back on topic, Darth's idea makes the most sense here stateside, as cheap old Treks and old Burley / InStep trailers (and their maintenace parts) are ubiquitous. Down there, things may be different. Look around at what other "loaded" commuters use; maybe there's a bustling trade in homemade trailers (shrug). By observing what others are choosing, you'll have an idea what can be readily supported / maintained.

A single speed would be a good simplification option, provided you're on relatively flat terrain. A fixie would be a BAD idea, as having no option to coast, and having to stop a fixie pulling a trailer, would both present problems.

As said, don't overthink it. Pick a bike that you can see will be easily kept, find a community that will help you maintain it (and help you learn to maintain it; the hours won't be "countless"). Gather a modest cache of maintenance goodies (tubes, lube, etc). Be prepared to hear a little voice coming from your back muscles, saying "thank you"....

Last edited by madpogue; 03-07-19 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-07-19, 02:36 PM
acidfast7
Banned

I'd recommend against the trailer unlike others in this thread. Any Brazilian urban area won't handle it.

40kg in a rucksack isn't that bad on a Mountain Bike. I used to do it quite often when camping along the Rhine.
Old 03-07-19, 03:58 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
I admit I missed the Brazil part. The mobile site doesn’t display profile info
Old 03-07-19, 04:26 PM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2363 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 1,191 Posts
Originally Posted by acidfast7
I'd recommend against the trailer unlike others in this thread. Any Brazilian urban area won't handle it.

40kg in a rucksack isn't that bad on a Mountain Bike.
In that case, I would at least split it. There are plenty of pannier racks with a 25kg capacity. I'd offload that much to panniers, and backpack the rest.

Then there's the front/rear rack distribution option.

I also have seen some pretty "ruggedized" hand-built trailers. Or were you thinking more along the lines of a tight space issue?
Old 03-08-19, 01:27 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Originally Posted by madpogue
In that case, I would at least split it. There are plenty of pannier racks with a 25kg capacity. I'd offload that much to panniers, and backpack the rest.

Then there's the front/rear rack distribution option.

I also have seen some pretty "ruggedized" hand-built trailers. Or were you thinking more along the lines of a tight space issue?
Tight space issue. Never see trailer in urban Europe.

Panniers and an old MTB would work quite nicely.
Old 03-08-19, 07:29 AM
Doraglier
本当の事か?日本語は余り難しくない。

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm having trouble quoting people, the forum seems to think I'm trying to post images or URLs and it doesn't like that.

Anyways, guys thanks for the replies and the advice, I will take all that into consideration and add it to my research.
Old 03-08-19, 11:53 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Go with a used bike, figure out what you like and what you need and make adjustments as needed.
Old 03-08-19, 04:38 PM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2012 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 235 Posts
Forty kg is a lot of eight to be carrying on your back regardless of how big or how strong you are. It's still a lot on a set of panniers, but perhaps one with a bag that also sits on top, or even a trunk box or basket it might be doable, depending on how big your stuff is.

In any case, I'd go for a used one, and one with gears if you're hauling that much stuff, especially if there's any kind of hill to contend with. Like a 90's hardtail MTB with a rigid fork could be had for very cheap, at least around here. Don't know about Brazil.
Old 03-08-19, 08:17 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Doraglier
I've decided to start using bicycles to aid in my daily life, since I do all my commuting on foot it takes at least a whole hour to get just about anywhere I need to, and shopping isn't all that fun with a +40kg backpack on the way back.

The only reason I've been avoiding bikes, such an obvious choice, was to avoid complexity. Getting into bikes means spending countless hours doing research, learning how to fix, assemble, disassemble, clean and all other details, without mentioning all the time I'll have to spend actually using them to gather real experience and grasp the thing strongly, all of which I already have and know with walking. After climbing a treetop and spending a week over there I decided that I was going to do it. In addition to daily researches, I also joined the forum. I hope you guys can help me somehow!

Best regards
Doraglier
Plenty of people around the world commute by bike and carry big loads without "spending countless hours on research". You just need to avoid the Internet.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498