Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Quality inner tubes?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Quality inner tubes?

Old 08-06-19, 12:26 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 919 Post(s)
Liked 745 Times in 546 Posts
Quality inner tubes?

i need some tubes for 700c 32mm-40mm tires and 26" mtb. for the longest i've just gotten them at walmart or, when i can get there during hours, a local bike shop. however, the quality seems shoddy to me. iow's, i tend to get more flats than my buddy whom i ride with. i "think" he uses continental brand he gets at a shop i can never get to during hours. also, the tubes i've been getting sometimes tend to not hold air while the bike/s are parked until next use. that could be the walmart choices

at any rate, i'm interested in others' choices and experiences for tubes in those sizes. and, fwiw, i tend to shop on ebay more often than not since i live out in the boonies and it's all 'round easier.

btw, tubeless is out of the question. don't wanna mess with it

thanks for any input!
Old 08-06-19, 12:33 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I don't give it much thought but my main LBS is a Specialized dealer so they carry specialized tubes which I've never had a problem with, plus they're like $6. The other LBS is a Giant dealer so they carry giant tubes which I've also never had a problem with.
Old 08-06-19, 12:35 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I use Continental tubes, I feel that they are worth the price premium.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-06-19, 12:36 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
I know I'm a broken record on this, but if weight isn't an issue, how about a set of thick thorn resistant tubes?

4mm thick on the outside diameter, 2mm thick on the sides, less prone to flats, and hold air at least twice as long as thin tubes.

Link 1

Link 2
Old 08-06-19, 01:43 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Originally Posted by thook
i need some tubes for 700c 32mm-40mm tires and 26" mtb. for the longest i've just gotten them at walmart or, when i can get there during hours, a local bike shop. however, the quality seems shoddy to me. iow's, i tend to get more flats than my buddy whom i ride with. i "think" he uses continental brand he gets at a shop i can never get to during hours. also, the tubes i've been getting sometimes tend to not hold air while the bike/s are parked until next use. that could be the walmart choices

at any rate, i'm interested in others' choices and experiences for tubes in those sizes. and, fwiw, i tend to shop on ebay more often than not since i live out in the boonies and it's all 'round easier.

thanks for any input!
What kind of flats are you getting? In my view, the job of the tube is simply to hold air, resisting punctures is the job of the tire tread. Maybe your tires are the problem.

Schwalbe tubes are really nice. Very even wall thickness and reliable, even in the extra-light versions.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-06-19, 01:49 PM
jack002

Bikes: (2) 1994 Cannondale R900, red, Silver Trek hybrid

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I have had valve in tube failure many times, the tube comes loose from the valve, that isn't on the tire, that is on the tube! Cheap tubes made in tiawain tend to fail more for me.
Old 08-06-19, 02:20 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts

thanks for any input!
Tube quality has relatively little to do with puncture frequency except with extremely low end tubes. "Thorn resistant" tubes are thicker and do hold air longer and will resist very small thorns perhaps, but at a significant penalty to weight, rolling resistance, and cost, and still will puncture with larger thorns or metal debris. Tire puncture resistance in contrast has a major impact on how many lats you get. Also a reasonable choice for some kinds of flats is to add sealant to your tubes--it's messier when you get an unsealable flat and doesn't work as well as a full tubeless setup, but it will seal many small punctures.
Old 08-06-19, 02:23 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
I like Continental tubes. IMO, they last longer and are easier to patch when they do get punctured. Most of the time, when I get a flat, it is due to tires that have worn treads. I have over 3000 miles this year and have yet to get a flat. I started with new tires on my bikes.
Old 08-06-19, 02:36 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Bikes: '83 univega gran turismo x2, '85 schwinn super le tour,'89 miyata triple cross, '91 GT tequesta, '90 yokota grizzly peak, '94 GT backwoods, '95'ish scott tampico, '98 bonty privateer, '93 mongoose crossway 625, '98 parkpre ariel, 2k'ish giant fcr3

Originally Posted by jack002
I have had valve in tube failure many times, the tube comes loose from the valve, that isn't on the tire, that is on the tube! Cheap tubes made in tiawain tend to fail more for me.
i have had that happen more than once! i thought maybe i was being too rough with the valve stem securing nut, but i wouldn't think i'd have to be that uber sensitive with it. the tubes i've been getting were either summit or whatever brand walmart has. bell, maybe? atleast one of those is made in china. but, then most things are, anymore
Likes For thook:
Old 08-06-19, 02:49 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by cpach
Tube quality has relatively little to do with puncture frequency except with extremely low end tubes. "Thorn resistant" tubes are thicker and do hold air longer and will resist very small thorns perhaps, but at a significant penalty to weight, rolling resistance, and cost, and still will puncture with larger thorns or metal debris. Tire puncture resistance in contrast has a major impact on how many lats you get. Also a reasonable choice for some kinds of flats is to add sealant to your tubes--it's messier when you get an unsealable flat and doesn't work as well as a full tubeless setup, but it will seal many small punctures.
what are you calling extremely low end tubes? pretty sure walmart tubes would fall in that category, no?

i've used thorn resistant tubes before. i don't like the weight penalty at all! perhaps on a touring bike i could live with it

over the past few years i've been using some conti speed rides, surly knards 41, cst ciudad, kenda kwest, some panaracers......iow's, quality tires. i've, of course, had the instances of too low tire pressure, but i mean changing out a tire?...and the next morning the tire is flat? all i can figure is the (pedro) levers scuffed the tube in just the wrong way.
Old 08-06-19, 02:59 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

okay, so there's schwalbe, conti, giant, specialized...anyone else?

what i'd like to do is have a known quality tube and compare by side to the ones i've been using and judging to be fragile. i'll start looking into these suggestions, so far, for some deals.

btw, how long are your tubes lasting in terms of age and not necessarily usage. i realize it'd be hard to exclude one from the other, but like some of these tubes i've had let's say a year or two before actually using it. so, i wonder if the rubber is just aging "prematurely" or something. you know....getting brittle as rubber can do. particularly cheap rubber. i get some replacement boots for the suspension parts on my honda and they didn't last long at all before coming apart. china made rubber example, there
Old 08-06-19, 03:00 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Literally years.
Old 08-06-19, 03:23 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Another vote for Continental tubes.

They are extruded in one piece and seamless around the circumference. The only seam is where the ends are joined.

-Tim-
Old 08-06-19, 03:29 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18348 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,344 Posts
My tubes last until I get tired of patching them (or too lazy to patch). As flats generally occur on the road, it is too easy to toss in a tube and roll.

I'd estimate, maybe a flat every 1000 miles.

The flats are caused by the tires, installation, or pinch flats. Not really the tubes.

I buy most of my tubes online, often adding a couple of tubes to other orders. I've tried Contis, Lifeline, Specialized, Bell, and others. I can't really tell a big difference between brands.

One tube of mention is the Michelin Protek Max self-sealing tube.

The bumpy things are supposed to help hold the holes closed, plus the slime.

Anyway, if you want to eliminate flats, make sure you have adequate pressure in the tires, and use quality tires. Also be careful of what you run over. Glass is like road spikes.
Old 08-06-19, 03:57 PM
dsbrantjr

Originally Posted by CliffordK
... Glass is like road spikes.
Worst for me are those little steel wires from car tire belts. They go right through the tire and tube like needles and are very difficult to find and remove. I turn the tire inside-out and run a microfiber cloth over it to catch on the wire or whatever.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 08-06-19, 04:38 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Worst for me are those little steel wires from car tire belts. They go right through the tire and tube like needles and are very difficult to find and remove. I turn the tire inside-out and run a microfiber cloth over it to catch on the wire or whatever.
holy toledo! that's what that is! i've run into that before. several years ago i was riding with a friend and....boom.....next thing i know my tire's going flat and i found those wires. i was confounded as to what i could have run over to pick those up

anyway, i thank you all for your inputs. i've done some searching for the conti's on ebay, but they're all for smaller road racing tires. and, the michelins.....whoa! pricey! but!!! i did find a four pack of specialized tubes that will fit up to 38c. about $20 or best offer. now, don't anyone grab'em before i do!!...lol!

hopefully i find better satisfaction with these. otherwise, i may go to wooden wheels....hehehe. i jest, but i will compare and report back soonishly

thanks, again!
Old 08-06-19, 04:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18348 Post(s)
Liked 4,498 Times in 3,344 Posts
I've heard of using cotton balls too.

If I can find the hole in the tube, then I can usually locate the culprit.

The worst is getting a slow leak followed by a pinch flat, so one doesn't see the original hole, and one is tempted to simply patch the pinch flat and put the tube back in.
Old 08-06-19, 05:04 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Another thing to check, if you're losing air with brand-new tubes: sometimes the valve core is loose and needs to be tightened. Schrader valves take a tool that's easy to get, and with Presta valves, I use a pair of needle-nose pliers to very lightly screw it in a bit tighter.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 08-06-19, 05:32 PM
dsbrantjr

...i've done some searching for the conti's on ebay, but they're all for smaller road racing tires.
It may come as a surprise to some, but there are other places to buy things besides EBay. ;o)
Old 08-06-19, 06:08 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 1,885 Times in 1,132 Posts
Yes on the other places thing! I was about to suggest latex tubes from Silca, but they are way above this discussion in price! (Smiles) My local Bike Project/community co-op sells tube from J B Importers for four dollars, and that is a disposable price for me. And yes, I know that a patch only costs $.25 and that a bottle of cement is $8.99 at the auto parts store and will repair hundreds of tubes. But when it comes to tubes; better to replace than repair. Cheaper in terms of labor as well, JMO, MH
Old 08-06-19, 06:55 PM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
I switched to Schwalbe when I went to 650b wheels and tires, but I was happy with Michelin Airstops before that. The Michelins have smooth (unthreaded) valve stems and were easy to use with a Silca brass bell push-on pump chuck.
Old 08-06-19, 09:11 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

It may come as a surprise to some, but there are other places to buy things besides EBay. ;o)
i have certain reasons i tend to use ebay

having said that, were it easier for me to get by a shop locally to get what i need....if they have it....i would do that more often. my fav shop of all time closed years ago. it was along a route i frequent and the shop hours were in sync with my usual timing of travel. i live 30 miles outside of town, so trips are usually consolidated.

Last edited by thook; 08-06-19 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-07-19, 03:20 PM
thook
(rhymes with spook)

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Another thing to check, if you're losing air with brand-new tubes: sometimes the valve core is loose and needs to be tightened. Schrader valves take a tool that's easy to get, and with Presta valves, I use a pair of needle-nose pliers to very lightly screw it in a bit tighter.
incidentally, that is a very good point. i do have one of those schrader valve drivers. i mostly use presta, though. anyway, i'll keep an eye for that. thanks!
Old 08-09-19, 08:54 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
I started packing a small needle nose plier to make it easier to pull those little devils out.
Old 08-09-19, 09:20 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I'd go with Gatorskins and generic tubes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.