Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Would you buy Velocity Rims again ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-06, 05:31 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts

Did you have good luck with them.. For manufactured rims they are reasonably priced.Once my spokes' nipples pulled right through the cracked rim. Mechanic said the metal in Velocities( guess all models?) is too soft. Whatever that means. How was your luck? Recommend them or not.?
Right now when I take the back roads they can be pretty well potted and worn. Probably not a great idea to not have the strongest of rims.
Old 04-03-06, 09:36 PM
sngltrackdufus
Banned.

Bikes: MTB's & a Cyclocross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I certainly would. I have had no issues whatsoever with either(MTB) set,Unlike Mavic hoops.
Old 04-03-06, 09:58 PM
seely
The Rabbi

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I only run Velocities (except for a NOS set of red Mavic MA3's I got), never had a problem.
Old 04-03-06, 10:12 PM
Seggybop
o.O

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Definitely. They are made of win, good, and pretty colors.
Old 04-03-06, 10:39 PM
PWRDbyTRD
Toyota Racing Dev.

Bikes: 2004 Kona Hoss Dee-Lux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
450lb on Deep V's and they're holding true...heck yes I would.
Old 04-03-06, 11:18 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
I've tried to beat up a set of Velocity Dyads doing loaded tours on heinous, riffraffed fireroads and have no issues.
Old 04-04-06, 01:14 AM
cyclezealot

Originally Posted by Bekologist
I've tried to beat up a set of Velocity Dyads doing loaded tours on heinous, riffraffed fireroads and have no issues.
Bekologist. This is the kind of news I need before I buy my next set. Almost every day I carry at least 15 pounds an errands about town.
Wonder why the spokes ( cracked the metal) pulled through the rims on that set? Seems they were not that old. Where I lived then, roads pretty smooth. Some prefer to not buy manufactured rims?
Old 04-04-06, 01:56 AM
shaq-d
been ridin?

Bikes: serotta cti

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
velocity deep v's on my commuter, work awesome. recently crashed out my racer bike with mavic open pro's. the front wheel was totalled. replaced with velocity deep v's instead of mavic open pros even though now the front and rear tire mismatch. velocity rox.

sd
Old 04-04-06, 08:45 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

cyclezealot, seems there is a lot of esoterica surrounding anodizing, nipple galling, stress factors on eyeletted rims versus non, and treat heating of 'luminums that make the question of eyelets or no eylets a matter of personal faith, rather than qualitive or quantitative analysis....

the only person that would have a true perspective on this is going to be a master wheelbuilder thats spun a lot of rims. My wheelsmith preached the faith of no eyelet v profile to me, and so far i'm in that church.
Old 04-04-06, 08:52 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

Velocity wheelsets are still handspun in Michigan, not machine built I believe. However, michigan has a vigorous prison manufacturing system, and I suspect Velocity is taking advantage of the cheap labor pool of the incarcerated.

Some of their wheelsets may be built with some funk in them; I'd suspect sometimes they get tweakers on the manufacturing line with a wrenching fix, sending out rims super tensioned.....
Old 04-04-06, 08:54 AM
geraldatwork

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So far about 800 miles on my Velocity Areohead (rims) wheels and they are holding up well. I am a 210 rider which can stress a wheel. My gut feeling is their customer service is pretty good. I had a few questions about their hubs and they answered my questions quickly.
Old 04-04-06, 09:06 AM
jemoryl

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Velocity wheelsets are still handspun in Michigan, not machine built I believe. However, michigan has a vigorous prison manufacturing system, and I suspect Velocity is taking advantage of the cheap labor pool of the incarcerated.

Some of their wheelsets may be built with some funk in them; I'd suspect sometimes they get tweakers on the manufacturing line with a wrenching fix, sending out rims super tensioned.....
Yes, the wheels are supposedly handbuilt at the US distributor in MI (the rims themselves are from Australia). I think your remark about prisoners being involved is way off base.

BTW, I have a pair of Velocity Nuvians with the Aerohead rims and they have been great.
Old 04-04-06, 02:57 PM
cyclezealot

Bekologist's comments about tweakers over stressing rims is a good point. Do Bike shops ever check the tension of their stock. Mabye something to remember next wheel we all buy.
Old 04-04-06, 03:13 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

I do not know Vedlocity's manufacturing program in Michigan specifically so my comments are all conjecture.

However ,a couple of cognizant points about prison labor in michigan and the US:

In Michigan, prison manufacturing of office furniture directly put Steelcase, the world's largest manufacturer of office furniture, into bankruptcy by michigan prison office equipment in direct competition with Steelcase.

Additionally, Starbucks coffee sold prepacked in supermarkets across America is packaged using prison laborers.

Omega Pacific had a vigorous manufacturing program where they manufactured climbing and mountaineering safety equipment in the US prison labor system- nothing like trusting a guy in prison for safety products!

The list of products manufactured and produced with the aid of prison labor is insidious. I have only speculative belief that, for Velocity to even spin wheels in the US, and offer them at competitive prices in Nashbar, etc. that Velocity is possibly using prison labor.

Regardless, even if velocity wheels are spun by free bikers, Michigan manufacturing labor pool is filled with a bunch of tweakers, Michigan was ground zero for the 'new meth' that has been ruining america for the last decade,
Old 04-04-06, 04:05 PM
sngltrackdufus
Banned.

Bikes: MTB's & a Cyclocross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I do not know Vedlocity's manufacturing program in Michigan specifically so my comments are all conjecture.

However ,a couple of cognizant points about prison labor in michigan and the US:

In Michigan, prison manufacturing of office furniture directly put Steelcase, the world's largest manufacturer of office furniture, into bankruptcy by michigan prison office equipment in direct competition with Steelcase.

Additionally, Starbucks coffee sold prepacked in supermarkets across America is packaged using prison laborers.

Omega Pacific had a vigorous manufacturing program where they manufactured climbing and mountaineering safety equipment in the US prison labor system- nothing like trusting a guy in prison for safety products!

The list of products manufactured and produced with the aid of prison labor is insidious. I have only speculative belief that, for Velocity to even spin wheels in the US, and offer them at competitive prices in Nashbar, etc. that Velocity is possibly using prison labor.

Regardless, even if velocity wheels are spun by free bikers, Michigan manufacturing labor pool is filled with a bunch of tweakers, Michigan was ground zero for the 'new meth' that has been ruining america for the last decade,
So what exactly is you're point?
You think your crap don't stink or something?
You never know, tommorrow you might find yourself on ^THAT^ bus.
Don't think it can't happen.
Old 04-04-06, 06:48 PM
xlntRider79
crushing all limitations

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a K525 that I got from Nashbar on the front of my race mountain bike...28 spokes laced radially and has never come out of true even when I broke a spoke. My only complaint is with the lack of sidewall machining. I can feel the seam everytime the darn thing goes around.
Old 04-04-06, 08:01 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hey, I'm all for prison labor...if it helps reduce the cost the taxpayers have to bear for their stay...then it's a good thing.

Plus who's to say they are doing crap work? It's not like you had Jeffery Dahmer's pupil or something working the Starbuck's line.... for pete's sake...
Old 04-04-06, 08:06 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

for some reason, providing jobs for the incarcarated to allow companies to have a more efficient bottom line versus providing livable wage jobs for free americans is not a social policy I'm formally in favor of, no.

I readily pay a premium for fairly produced goods.
Old 04-04-06, 08:17 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10963 Post(s)
Liked 4,619 Times in 2,123 Posts
Originally Posted by geraldatwork
So far about 800 miles on my Velocity Areohead (rims) wheels and they are holding up well. I am a 210 rider which can stress a wheel. My gut feeling is their customer service is pretty good. I had a few questions about their hubs and they answered my questions quickly.
Their customer service is excellent. I weigh about 210 and had a set of 16/24 aero spoked Spartacus Pro wheels. The front broke a spoke after about 1600 miles and then the rear broke a spoke about 500 miles later. I had had my LBS replace the front spoke but I called Velocity after the rear spoke and they said I was a little too heavy and to send them in and they'd rebuild them with heavier gauge spokes. I shipped the wheels and a new, not rebuilt, set of wheels showed up a couple of days later with heavier spokes, no charge.

Old 04-04-06, 09:33 PM
rmwun54

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have Velocity Aerohead and Aeroheat rims and haven't had any problems with them, yes I would buy them again.
Old 04-05-06, 12:56 AM
jonsam

Bikes: Yellow Nashbar fixed gear conversion, Cannondale T800, Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I saw a interesting interview with the guy who runs Velocity on Fixed Gear Gallery. I didn't see any prison workers. It seems like a very solid business and my set of Velocity Razors are very nice. Their in-house wheel building looked like a few folks at work benches with Park truing stands.
Old 04-05-06, 05:10 AM
cyclezealot

I approve of prisoners being trained to do work. But not if it means closing down civilan jobs. Just another form of outsourcing. The job you loose might be your own. Prison industries should be just that. Operated by the state and not some corporate goon finding a way around paying people decent wages . Labor is the creation of wealth. Wealth's benefits should benefit all, not just the elite. Plus, exploiting prisoners, Dont think I would trust my new rims.
Might feel vindictive and I'd be the unlucky one to get a booby trapped rim.
Old 04-05-06, 07:24 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

apears jonsam has 'seen' the inside of the velocity operation. maybe velocity can serve as a model of midsized company providing workabe wage jobs for americans...very cool.

my comments about prison labor in america still stand, glad to see velocity's wheel building operation is free labor.
Old 04-07-06, 09:50 PM
geraldatwork

Bikes: 2005 Windsor Kennet, 1982 Raleigh Super Course

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To add to my previouis post. Because I am a fairly heavy rider (210 lbs) I need a heftier build but didn't want to spend a ton of money.However wanted relatively light wheels. So I had my Velocity Areohead rims built with titanium spokes, 32 in the rear and 28 in the front. They came in at 1515 gms and cost $375 before shipping. I was concerned about a spoke breaking and my LBS not having matching spokes. They promised to repair them for free if I had a problem. When I emailed them about my concern about not having the wheels for a week or two they sent me 2wo spokes of each length used on the build for free. Prety good customer service.
Old 04-07-06, 11:56 PM
HereNT
無くなった

Bikes: I built the Bianchi track bike back up today.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They actually post on here. There was a guy awhile back that posted about how his rim broke when he got in an accident over on SS/Fix. Everyone was like 'hey, you run into a car door, the rim might fail' or something like that.

They ended up rebuilding the wheel for him. From everything that I've seen, they seem like a really stand up company.

And I'm too lazy to find the thread - anyone?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.