Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ireland: Bicycle License Plates

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ireland: Bicycle License Plates

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 05:13 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Yeah, when I first read the news story I thought it was optional because of this sentence:

"Under law, only vehicles with combustion engines have to carry designated number plates."

But as always I like to see other sources as there is some ambiguity in the wording. The novelty of the gift could be the personalization it allows for.
Old 06-14-10, 05:18 PM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Sure, I think a whole lot of people are only not riding a bicycle because there's no license plate on the bike.

And I'm sure that people only hit bicycles because of the lack of a license plate too.

Where do these people come up with this crap?
Old 06-14-10, 05:21 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by SCROUDS
As to licensing of bicyclists, yes I would completely support mandatory licensing for bycicle drivers. Voluntary methods of education haven't been very effective, and I'm all for ramming it down their throat, one way or another.
Now you are getting to the bottom line, what brand of "education" do you want to ram down "their" throat?

What makes you think anyone does not know that it is illegal to travel through a red light and needs mandatory education administered by YOU or YOUR representatives? I suspect that the percentage of cyclists needing your version of "education" is the same percentage as drivers who don't know that it is illegal to drive faster than the posted speed limit.
Old 06-14-10, 05:51 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeshoup
Sounds good. Next, let's require plates for pedestrians as well so we can send them tickets for jay walking.
Better yet, just imbed the chip under each person's skin, so you can send the ticket directly to the guilty person rather than the vehicle or snicker owner.
Old 06-14-10, 06:05 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
That's one of the stupidest things I've ever heard. Sure, I think a whole lot of people are only not riding a bicycle because there's no license plate on the bike.

And I'm sure that people only hit bicycles because of the lack of a license plate too.

Where do these people come up with this crap?
Sounds like just a simple attempt at a fun way to make ones bike like other vehicles with the added bonus of being a reflector. I can see kids having fun with it.
Old 06-14-10, 07:07 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
No, I think people should actually read!
That seems innocent enough, but there's a slippery slope from reading to outright actual thought and we wouldn't want that, would we?
Old 06-14-10, 07:28 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by noisebeam
Sounds like just a simple attempt at a fun way to make ones bike like other vehicles with the added bonus of being a reflector. I can see kids having fun with it.
That it is. The news article makes it sound as if its some new local cycling restriction - when it isn't.

-Kurt

Old 06-14-10, 08:36 PM
ab30494

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeshoup
Bicycles aren't cars either. A bicyclist running a red light is a lot less of a danger to others than a car running a red light.

We can play this "bicycles are this and aren't that" game all day if you like.

Personally, I do not want a registration number hanging off the back of my bicycle. I don't want to pay for it. I don't think a bicycle is all that more dangerous to others that it justifies a license plate.

What's next? Are we going to require licenses to operate bicycles as well?
Ya bikes arent cars, but they are considered vehicles and have the same laws to follow as cars
Old 06-15-10, 09:35 AM
SCROUDS

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
What makes you think anyone does not know that it is illegal to travel through a red light and needs mandatory education administered by YOU or YOUR representatives? I suspect that the percentage of cyclists needing your version of "education" is the same percentage as drivers who don't know that it is illegal to drive faster than the posted speed limit.
I've happened on enough cyclists in my neck of the woods that truly believe that bicycles are exempt from "car laws" to know that mandatory education would help.
Old 06-15-10, 10:06 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4259 Post(s)
Liked 1,361 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by cudak888
I'm sure everyone read that paragraph, and failed to realize that its a novelty product. The article's tone is deliberately misleading, and the actual story is neither implicit , nor is it mentioned anywhere except the last paragraph.
The article is weird. I'm supposing that the audience in Ireland didn't see it as "misleading". There are enough hints earlier that it isn't describing a serious/actual licensing. And it's short enough that people should have been able to read the last paragraph and interpret the whole short article based on what that paragraph said. Clearly, some people here are lacking in the reading skills department!

In short, the article is flat-out misleading. Just look at it:
Cyclists saddled with number plates <--Negative title

UP to 1,000 bicycles are to be fitted with number plates. <--Suggest that the tags are mandatory.

The scheme, which will be launched in Co Mayo today, <--Government program. One would assume it's not for novelty purposes.
The above interpretations don't make much sense IF you read the article critically. Plus, there are other things in the article that indicate that those interpretations can't be correct. That is, you have to look at the whole article.

Cyclists saddled with number plates <--Play on bicycle saddle
UP to 1,000 bicycles are to be fitted with number plates. <--Clearly, not mandatory because it would be all cycles. 1000 is a tiny number of bicycles.
The scheme, which will be launched in Co Mayo today, <--Reading too much into it. Non-Americans speak funny English. Assuming it's not for novelty purposes is silly since the article says it's for "novelty" purposes! Yes, it's a government program to promote "safety" among children.
=====================

The fairly-obvious fact is that the article is useless fluff but too many people here didn't recognize that and thought it was discussing "real" licenses!

=====================

That it is. The news article makes it sound as if its some new local cycling restriction - when it isn't.
Meh. The "news article" makes it clear that it isn't a "restriction". (There have to be many, many more bicycles in Mayo county than just 1000!)

And I'd guess that the Irish readers where smart enough not to be "mislead" by the article.

You must see conspiracies everywhere!!

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-15-10 at 02:03 PM.
Old 06-15-10, 10:19 AM
mikeybikes

Bikes: Tons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ab30494
Ya bikes arent cars, but they are considered vehicles and have the same laws to follow as cars
But should they have the same laws? Do they really have the same laws? How many states have a 3 foot law for passing bicyclists? What about the same law for passing cars?
Old 06-15-10, 02:46 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
The article is weird. I'm supposing that the audience in Ireland didn't see it as "misleading". There are enough hints earlier that it isn't describing a serious/actual licensing. And it's short enough that people should have been able to read the last paragraph and interpret the whole short article based on what that paragraph said. Clearly, some people here are lacking in the reading skills department!
On the contrary. Most of us are too cynical and disgusted with the press to read through the entire article.

-Kurt

Old 06-15-10, 02:51 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
On the contrary. Most of us are too cynical and disgusted with the press to read through the entire article.

-Kurt
Who is the "us" in this assertion? I would say that most of us who read and post here would rather depend on an imperfect press than make up facts as we go along.
Old 06-15-10, 04:12 PM
SCROUDS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, let me address this. Newspaper stories are written in a specific style. They should impart the most essential details in the first few paragraphs, then expand on those points. I expect there to be a summary of an article right in the front of it, that's just how newspapers are written. But that's not the problem here. If you read the article and just the article it makes good sense and is written fine.

What came into play here is the use of an ironic term in their headline. In this case, the saying that cyclists were "saddled" with number plates, while in the usual style of headlines, leads people to believe that cyclists are being burdened by (assumed mandatory) use of a plate.
Old 06-15-10, 05:17 PM
silverwolf
Bluegrass Atheist

Bikes: Schwinn Le Tour Tourist vintage fixed-gear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't see a problem with what's going on in Ireland, it appears to be voluntary and the article actually says it, even though it's written in a heavily biased, Daily Mail UK style.

I don't want to pay for dog licenses or auto registrations either, but in the grand scheme of things I'd rather pay it then go without.

As to licensing of bicyclists, yes I would completely support mandatory licensing for bycicle drivers. Voluntary methods of education haven't been very effective, and I'm all for ramming it down their throat, one way or another.
How many things exactly do you want to have licensed? From that frame of mind, I could make a case for many personal things to be licensed or monitored for the "benefit of society", which brings me to...

"we" are the collective people that form society, as enforced by either the police or "code enforcement" which is sometimes seperate from the police. "They" being the reagistered owners of bicycles recorded as illegally traveling through a red light.

It would also be useful to more easily track down hit and run cyclists, especially in ped-cycle crashes.
I see. This kind of thinking scares me. No, I don't support ass**** cyclists, nor do I act like one- but that's not a basis for having a law made about it.

I'm sure, if there were more bicycle laws and licensing and required registration, we would have fewer hit and runs, fewer traffic deaths, and fewer people being general idiots. But we would also have a huge amount of regulation and oversight by a large body of people, solely to save a few lives and keep a few inconsiderate people in line. Sorry, that's not worth either the loss of freedom or potential for corruption or waste of government money it would engender.

Thomas Jefferson said that when a choice between liberty and security must be made, liberty should almost always take precedence over security. And even sloppily comparing bicycles to cars in terms of accident rates, etc shows no legitimate reason for them to be regulated.
Old 06-16-10, 01:06 AM
SCROUDS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by silverwolf
I'm sure, if there were more bicycle laws and licensing and required registration, we would have fewer hit and runs, fewer traffic deaths, and fewer people being general idiots. But we would also have a huge amount of regulation and oversight by a large body of people, solely to save a few lives and keep a few inconsiderate people in line. Sorry, that's not worth either the loss of freedom or potential for corruption or waste of government money it would engender.

Thomas Jefferson said that when a choice between liberty and security must be made, liberty should almost always take precedence over security. And even sloppily comparing bicycles to cars in terms of accident rates, etc shows no legitimate reason for them to be regulated.
I believe the quote you refer to was much more specific and is attributed to Benjamin Franklin, and is more correctly: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

I don't see how we give up any essential liberty with the insistence of either a vehicle registration or a licensing requirement. The essential liberty in this case is the right to travel.

On this site, many people claim, along with state and federal governments that driving is a privilege, not a right. I don't see how driving a bicycle is any more of a right then the same privilege extended to motorists.
Old 06-16-10, 10:28 AM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I find it a little ironic that so many cyclists want to be treated as if they were indistinguishable from cars ... until it stops working out in our favor.
You find it ironic that different individuals may want different things?

Cyclists do not agree on all matters cycling related simply because they are cyclists.
Old 06-16-10, 11:31 AM
njkayaker

-Kurt
That's certainly a choice one can make. But it seems risky/careless to draw conclusions from things that one only reads parts of!
Old 06-16-10, 11:37 AM
njkayaker

It would also be useful to more easily track down hit and run cyclists, especially in ped-cycle crashes.
This, truly, is the major crisis of our time! Anyway, I'd think you'd need a really big plate for a license to be useful for this purpose. What we should do instead is use RFIDs implanted in people and monitor their every movement, just in case! This would avoid the problem of people being able to read a tiny bicycle license plate.

Ok, let me address this. Newspaper stories are written in a specific style. They should impart the most essential details in the first few paragraphs, then expand on those points. I expect there to be a summary of an article right in the front of it, that's just how newspapers are written. But that's not the problem here. If you read the article and just the article it makes good sense and is written fine.
The article was very short (it didn't really need a summary). The article was written in a more oblique style than I might have preferred. But it was easy to understand if one read the whole thing and did not get overstimulated by random bits of it.

Part of the problem is that it was intended for a local audience and really isn't very interesting outside of that audience. I suspect that the writer would be quite amused that Americans even read the article and the responses it generated here!

What came into play here is the use of an ironic term in their headline. In this case, the saying that cyclists were "saddled" with number plates, while in the usual style of headlines, leads people to believe that cyclists are being burdened by (assumed mandatory) use of a plate.
I'm going to guess that the term "saddle" for bicycle seat is more normal for an Irish reader, and they would have detected the irony much more quickly than an American audience.

I don't see how we give up any essential liberty with the insistence of either a vehicle registration or a licensing requirement. The essential liberty in this case is the right to travel.
It's nice to be able to have activities that don't have fees associated with them.

Last edited by njkayaker; 06-16-10 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-16-10, 02:41 PM
silverwolf
Bluegrass Atheist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I believe the quote you refer to was much more specific and is attributed to Benjamin Franklin, and is more correctly: "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."
I know the one you mentioned, this one was different and was from Jefferson... I was paraphrasing however. I will look it up to find the exact quote.

On this site, many people claim, along with state and federal governments that driving is a privilege, not a right. I don't see how driving a bicycle is any more of a right then the same privilege extended to motorists.
The only reason I would consider driving a car, and to a lesser extent a motorcycle to be a privilege rather than a right is if many people are routinely endangered by use of the vehicle, which is true with cars, true (though to a lesser extent) with motorcycles, and not very true with bicycles. I understand bicycle accidents, hit and runs and fatalities do occur but they are nowhere near the level of car or motorcycle fatalities of the same kind.

I believe that restriciting liberty -in this case, of personal transport- should only be done on a sliding scale based on how much damage you can cause to others. A car, a 2000+ pound block of steel and aluminum, can do a lot of damage. Hence, more regulation. A motorcycle, about 300lbs or so of steel and aluminum, can do damage but less of it, hence easier regs and insurance for motorcycles. A bicycle, 20-30lbs of steel or aluminum, can't do much damage except in a few situations and those are fairly rare because cyclists are more affected even than motorcyclists in crashes. Hence, even less regulation.

To use another example, I don't support regulating people who own knives, because while a knife is dangerous, it's not dangerous enough to hurt alot of people at once easily. I don't support draconian gun control, but I do support licensing of guns because a handgun can kill several people in less than a minute if used properly- more potential for damage, more regulation. And so on.
Old 06-16-10, 03:07 PM
SCROUDS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You do have a valid point in saying that items that can cause grave injury to a multitude of people should be regulated, basically. I think we would agree that government has rightly taken upon itself the task to trying to ensure the safety of the people by doing this.

I believe it is the place of the governemnt to ensure safety. I'll even take it a step further, that one of the thigns they currently do and should expand is trying to ensure people's safety from their own actions. That includes the enforcement of most traffic laws and ensuring people that use the public ways are trained to drive a car. I'm sure whether the governemnt has a duty to protect people from themselves is surely a hotly debated issue.

As to the quote, I had to google it since it didn't sound right, and happened upon the Monticello site, which I would consider a reliable source. https://www.monticello.org/library/re.../spurious.html lists it as a misattributed quote.
Old 06-16-10, 03:47 PM
silverwolf
Bluegrass Atheist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We do agree on the concept of government protecting other people against gratuitous harm caused by another- in fact I believe that is the function of government in the first place. I also think that other giant forces (such as corporations) should be overseen by the government to protect the individual from harm and loss of liberty.

I don't think it should protect people from themselves however. Traffic laws, and the other laws you mentioned, mainly exist to protect other people- there is no licence requirement to drive on empty private property, for example, even though a crash is still possible, it would affect solely the operator of the vehicle and not another person. I agree that the government should regulate things like false claims on medicine to protect people from themselves, but things like anti-drug laws, not allowing assisted suicide, and other such things are beyond the government's regulatory ability. In other words, I do not believe in "victimless crimes". What one does to oneself, -even if that means addiction, mutilation, psychological distress or death- is nonetheless one's own right as an individual.

On the quote, you're probably right. I had never an official source before for quotes, it's interesting that both pro-religious and anti-religious comments are attributed to him as well.