Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Schwinn Crosscut - the build thread - complete bike Pg. 3

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-12, 07:24 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 225 Times in 56 Posts

... a continuation of this thread: rebuid-planning-ideas

Frame arrived back from powder coat today, and the new decals from JRRestore (aka VeloCals.com) also arrived in the mail. I hope to have time to get the decals installed in the next couple days. I have a new headset on order so full assembly will not begin till that arrives and I can get it installed. For the time being however, I'll list out the build and give a few teaser shots of the frame fresh back from powder.

Before:

After:

Decals are the early 80's style Schwinn Decals, custom set with 'Crosscut' for the top tube. Silver with white outline for the 'SCHWINN' and 'CROSSCUT', and a white 'Schwinn Quality' round decal for the seat tube. The silver/white should look very nice with this slightly blue toned dark green metallic color. Housings are either going to be black, gray/silver or white, haven't quite decided yet. There are a lot of black components on here (unless someone has a set of silver Deore SIS derailleurs around they aren't using), so some contrast in the housing may look nice, or I may just match it all up in black.

Components (as they are currently planned:

Derailleurs: Shimano 400LX (black, some silver)
Shifters: Shimano 600EX 7sp bar-end shifters
Crankset: Shimano 400LX (black, bio-pace) - also have a silver Sugino if I get it cleaned up)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore XT
Headset: Velo-Orange needle bearing headset (silver)
Pedals: Shimano SPD double sided
Brakes: Tektro cantilever
Stem/Bar: Quill adapter / Ritchey WCS / Ritchey Pro 44cm (I had the Ritchey parts in the parts bin)
Saddle/Post: Sugino post (in the process of cleaning/polishing), WTB Speed-V saddle.
Wheels: original, don't recall exactly.
Misc: putting the rack back on, though I am tempted to pick up a silver one, depending on how much other silver I end up putting on the bike.

Friday night progress: enough to get a rough mock-up setup for a snap shot. Bar and saddle height has obviously not been set yet. Put them in just to the min-insert lines so not to mess up the post or stem.

Tuesday night photos - Decals! (see below for more photos)

First photos of complete bike:

Last edited by cuda2k; 01-26-12 at 09:13 PM.
Old 01-12-12, 02:20 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bikes: Kirk Frameworks JKS-C, Serotta Nova, Gazelle AB-Frame, Fuji Team Issue, Surly Straggler

It's always the case, the "cheap rebuild" becomes more and more expensive the longer you work on it. However, the last parts and bits are ordered now. Bearings, cables & housings needed to get this one back on the road. Brought the fork up to the office to show the coworkers to new color, and in the sun it is quite blue, a bit more even than in the last photo, but its not "too" blue, close to it, but still firmly in the green column. Also, we discovered that holding the fork by the steering tube and striking the blade with my knuckle makes the fork ring a near perfect F note.
Old 01-12-12, 02:25 PM
Chris Chicago

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 20 Posts
that is a very nice green.
Old 01-12-12, 03:03 PM
eippo1
I like beans

Bikes: Tarmac Pro, Bianchi Zurigo, Raleigh Gran Sport, Fuji Del Rey, Ironman Centurion

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Very nice. I love the color.
Old 01-12-12, 06:30 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Powder coat was done by Ideal Coatings, Garland Tx. If anyone wants to get the same, I'm sure Jacob would be able to give you information on the name and maker of the powder coat. Looking forward to getting this one put back together and out on the road. Should make for a great early season training bike (and in general a training bike for Cino Heroica) as I'll be able to get the most out of every mile.
Old 01-12-12, 09:04 PM
skinny matt
more coffee please

Bikes: a couple schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cool. I have a crosscut as well. Same size as yours it looks. Looking forward to seeing yours built up.
Old 01-12-12, 09:07 PM
Ed in Toronto

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll be a really nice bike when you're finished.
Old 01-13-12, 03:37 AM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Nice powder results!
Old 01-13-12, 03:57 AM
realestvin7
Large Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Nice. I keep hearing about this Jacob guy. Supposedly he's really affordable, too. Looks good.
Old 01-13-12, 06:17 AM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

The metallic was $105 all said and done. Solids were around $80ish I think? Works out of his garage in Garland, nice guy, 2 day turn around really. Dropped it off Monday night, picked it up Wed night. Decals will be the weekend project for when I'm not working on the kitchen. It's about all I can do till the headset arrives from VeloOrange, oh, and get the head badge put back on. Going to leave the Specalized 700x38's on it for now, but I also have a set of 32mm cyclocross tires that fender1 sent me that I may throw on if I head for areas with looser pack dirt.
Old 01-13-12, 07:20 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Jon, I really like it! The color is a close match to my 2003 Cannondale hybrid. But I like your decision to go with the early '80s style Schwinn fonts on the decals. Very clever and it will really set it apart. Now all it needs is a basket in the front for your new Corgi to ride in!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-13-12, 09:55 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Nice project I love the paint and can't wait to see it with the decals. I had fun redoing mine but in the end it just didn't fit me well so I just cut my losses and sold it. I am picking up a DB Topanga today that fits me well and I will set it up for street cruising with some 1.5 tires I have on hand. While I didn't paint mine ( it wasn't that bad ) it did require a full resto, I kept the original wheelset Sun Levi- something or other. Here's a few photos of before and after, I think if I found the next size larger I could have made it fit a little more easier.

Glenn

Old 01-13-12, 10:02 AM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 1,506 Times in 409 Posts
Jon, I like it as well and look forward to seeing it built up.

Are you pretty much satisfied with the powder coat job? Any problem areas?

If not I may have a frame done.
Old 01-13-12, 10:07 AM
Orrery

Bikes: 1983 Trek 600, 1973 Mercian

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Powder coat looks fantastic! Excited to see the build-up.
Old 01-13-12, 06:32 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

yarper, powder is good. I haven't seen any thin spots or other defects. Haven't decided if I'm going to have the LBS face the HT and BB for me tomorrow when I drop it off for the head set install (order arrived from Velo-Orange ahead of schedule!). Probably doesn't need it, and the BB cups threaded right in without a hitch.

Glenn, the paint on mine was fine, but I never cared for the color, and decided that if I was going to be hitting the rural dirt roads and trails with it, that powder would be worth it. And since I wasn't going to paint my Kirk a dark green, then this bike would fill the "green bike" want in the collection.

Installing a new sink / faucet / disposal tomorrow in the house, so not sure how much work I"ll get done on the bike. I do plan to get the frameset over to the shop to get the head set installed. Depending on how long that takes, I hope to have most of the bike built up by the time the cables and such arrive from loosescrews.com.
Old 01-13-12, 09:16 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Bump for new photo added to the original post. Rough mock up setup tonight.
Old 01-14-12, 06:55 AM
Gravity Aided

Bikes: Trek 600 ,1980Raleigh Competition G.S., 1986 Schwinn Passage, Facet Biotour 2000, Falcon San Remo 531,Schwinn Sierra, Sun Seeker tricycle recumbent,1985 Bianchi Squadra

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Very impressive . The British Racing Green came out very nice indeed
Old 01-14-12, 09:39 AM
dexter9326

Bikes: 2011 Schwinn Le Tour Legacy, 2007 Lemond Alpes d'Huez, 1994 Schwinn Cross Cut, 1994 Schwinn Cross Trail, 1991 Schwinn Paramount PDG Series 50 MTB,1991 Schwinn Cross Cut, 1979 Schwinn World Sport, 1967 Hercules 3 Speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Love the color and how it's going so far. Very nice!
Old 01-14-12, 03:10 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
That bike would look great with a Honey Brooks B17 and some gumwall tires. Nice job
Old 01-14-12, 07:04 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

I agree it would look great with a Honey brooks, if I decide to put a more traditional stem and bar on, then I'll probably go with a honey saddle and wrap. For now though, this is going to be a work horse, so I'll go with what will hold up under the work load.
Old 01-17-12, 06:23 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

And now the decals are on! I'm having to wait for the fork to be re-powder coated. The shop (which will remain nameless since they did right by me) chewed up the powder coat somehow (much to the disbelief of them and me, but I know it wasn't like that when I handed it to them) while installing the crown race. Shop refunded me the cost of the head set install, which more than covered having Jacob reshoot the powder on the fork. My order from LooseScrews arrived, so full assembly should be able to happen this weekend at the latest.

Here's a few photos I snapped right after decal installation. Waiting for the decals to set before pulling the transfer paper off. Also seen is the "Dura-ace Gray" housing I'm going to be using. Could have gone silver, but I thought the slightly darker color would look more fitting on this build with all the black that's going on.

Old 01-17-12, 08:42 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

And now without the carrier paper.

Old 01-17-12, 09:00 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,194 Times in 962 Posts
Jon,

Perfect!

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 01-17-12, 09:08 PM
cuda2k
Unique Vintage Steel

Thanks. Decals went on nicely. Followed VeloCal's "Wet application" directions, made use of the hints on the instruction sheet to help get things lined up nicely. Wrapped the tubes with a piece of masking tape, marked center lines on the tape, and then on the carrier paper. Lined up the marks, laid down decal. I think that the 'Crosscut' on the drive side is ever so slightly crooked, but you'll never notice once the bike is built since the top tube has a slight angle to it anyways. Purposely applied the 'Schwinn' a little above center line, so it's more readable when not down at eye-level with the tube. That's one mistake I recall from when I repainted the 'Barracuda Mk.I' many moons ago. Positioning along the tube I think I got just about right too. Took a look back at some photos of my old Schwinn Traveler that had the same decals as general reference. I knew I wanted the 'Crosscut' to start just behind that cable stop, and that the Schwinn round decal should be high enough not to be blocked by water bottles, but low enough it's not stuffed right up next to the lug. All in all, I'm happy with the job.

More photos when the headset gets installed and more parts get put on. Debating on if I should use the black Shimano 400LX, or try to polish up a Sugino VP (I think it's a VP) in silver that I have also.
Old 01-17-12, 10:17 PM
WNG
Spin Forest! Spin!

Bikes: I used to have many. And I Will again.

Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Looks good! The choice of gray Shimano DA housing is better than silver IMO. Contrasts better with the green and the decals. The gray looks more silver in bright sunlight, and silver washes to a white or metallic appearance.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.