Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Building first bike help.

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Old 10-04-12, 07:32 PM
drop

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey there. Been lurking for a while reading up on different builds. And finally saved up a bit of cash for my own. But don't really know what all to get. I haves a budget of around $1600. I'm 5'9. 180. Any help would be great.
Old 10-04-12, 08:24 PM
Zephyr11
Pint-Sized Gnar Shredder

Bikes: '09 Jamis Komodo, '09 Mirraco Blend One, '08 Cervelo P2C, '08 Specialized Ruby Elite, '07 Yeti AS-R SL, '07 DMR Drone

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First bike you're building or first bike period? If it's the first bike you're building and you've been riding a while, what kind of riding do you do? What bike do you have now? What don't you like about your current bike? If it's your first bike, I'd highly recommend buying a complete...unless you're an eBay ninja with plenty of patience and plenty of know-how, you'll save a good amount of money that way.
Old 10-04-12, 09:11 PM
roccobike
Bike Junkie

Location: South of Raleigh, North of New Hill, East of Harris Lake, NC

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Specialized Roubaix, Giant OCR-C, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Stumpjumper Comp, 88 & 92Nishiki Ariel, 87 Centurion Ironman, 92 Paramount, 84 Nishiki Medalist

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
If you're building a bike from higher end used parts off of the 'bay, you can build a pretty nice bike, the way you want it within you're budget of $1600, if you wait for the right parts and catch them at a good price. Used prices usually bottom out on ebay right before Christmas.
If you're building buying new parts, at $1600 you'd be way better off buying a complete LBS bike or maybe something from BD. Bike Manufacturers get huge bulk discounts from parts manufacturers. You will pay full list.
Old 10-04-12, 09:33 PM
drop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This will be my first adult bike. The main reason I thought of building is that everyone bike has their pros and cons. So I thought building would be a easier way instead of buying a built then upgrading.
Old 10-05-12, 12:23 AM
speedy25

Bikes: Specialized, Trek, Diamondback, Schwinn, Peugeot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 43 Posts
I'll suggest buying a complete bike first so you can find out the pros and cons so the SECOND bike will be your fave.

Anyway you do it have fun!

I'm going to assemble some parts to make something affordable and fun for me over the winter. Thanks Rocco for the economy tip.

-SP
Old 10-05-12, 01:21 PM
Tulok

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
what do you want to do is the question
Old 10-05-12, 10:00 PM
drop

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I appreciate all the advice. As for right now is like a decent trail bike. And maybe try a race.
Old 10-09-12, 11:58 AM
Ride916

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by speedy25
I'll suggest buying a complete bike first so you can find out the pros and cons so the SECOND bike will be your fave.
-SP
Agreed. There's too much subjective info on a forum for you to listen to other people's advice without your own foundation of knowledge and experience. I'd get a used bike that's well within your budget (focus on fit), then ride the crap out of it for a few thousand miles.

Then you'll know what you're looking for and will be able to build yourself a bike to fall in love with.
Old 10-09-12, 09:14 PM
Dannihilator
Still kicking.

Bikes: Bike Count: Rising.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 32 Posts
Originally Posted by drop
This will be my first adult bike. The main reason I thought of building is that everyone bike has their pros and cons. So I thought building would be a easier way instead of buying a built then upgrading.
While it is easier, it's not cost effective depending on your budget.
Old 10-24-12, 01:26 PM
Gotte

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not wishing to sound like an old coot, but I've been building bikes my whole life (I'm 48 now), and while there is nothing like it for whiling away the hours and getting those sinapses connected, it's a hell of a learning curve. I personally started because we had no money as kids, and that was the only way to get a ride (can you hear the violins swell, yet?). If it were me, and wanted a decent bike, and had enough money, I'd probably buy a half decent bike, hell, maybe even a less than half decent bike with a decent frame, and start swapping out over time. That way I'd have something to ride which I hadn;t sunk a ton of money into, and yet had something to learn wrenching on. Of course, that's only good advice if you live in my head (I wouldn;t advise that). But rule of thumb - bike building is much like anything; you do, you learn. And no better way of learning than rolling your sleeves up and getting your fingers dirty. Of course, if it's a premium ride your after at the end of it, the cheap upbuild may not be the best way to go. You'll end up with a drawer full of cheap parts and a bike which is a beaut - except for that cheap frame...
But then again, I imagine we've all got a garage full of bits (and a few frames stashed in the rafters that the missus doesn't know about).
I could also give you advice on the missus. Just don't tell her I said that

Does that make any sense whatsoever?

Last edited by Gotte; 10-24-12 at 01:31 PM.
Old 10-24-12, 03:17 PM
YamiRider1316

Bikes: 13' Ragley Marley, 12' Pivot Firebird, 13' Pivot Point, 89' Bridgestone RB-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should just save up a lil more cash and swoop something like this: https://www.jensonusa.com/!zJ0CPWWqq9...FW-CQgodjXsAxg. Then you would be set. Like previously stated if this is your first decent bike IMO you would be better off buying a complete bike and then upgrading components that youre not happy with on it. Though doable, itll be hard to build a bike specd like the above for 1600 or around that price. Unless you're shopping around, watching ebay/craigslist etc and have some time to kill, building a bike is often more expensive than buying complete.
Old 10-30-12, 06:09 PM
ColinL
Two-Wheeled Aficionado

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur TR, Cannondale Quick CX dropbar conversion & others

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
There is some really good advice here. Let me chime in my $0.02 in an overly long-winded way.

My dad and I got 'new' FS bikes this year.

He bought a BMC Speedfox (26") from Speedgoat when they put it on model year-end clearance. He paid $2699 and it retailed for $3599. It has a full Shimano XT group less the chain (KMC DX-10), good wheels, a Fox Evolution RL fork and a Fox RP2 shock. (BTW Speedgoat now has mediums left for $2399, if you are interested.) It's a 2012 and lacks a Shadow or Shadow Plus rear derailleur. Kind of annoying, all that chain slap. But I've ridden the bike and it's fast and awesome.

I bought a 2004 Santa Cruz Blur frame with an old Fox Float R AVA shock and bought all-new parts as cheap as I could from mostly Ebay, but a little Amazon and Competitive Cyclist. I paid $2830 total. I just bought a new CTD Trail Adjust shock which brings my total investment to $3200. But you can't buy a bike with X9 drivetrain, X0 twist grips, and a kashima fork and shock for that, even on clearance.

I just did 14 miles on his bike today. I've done hundreds on mine. His bike is pretty damn good. I'd say it is 8/10ths of mine-- for less money, a warranty on the frame, and really it only gives up some adjustability and smoothness in the suspension. This was my first build and I put about 20 hours in it. Previously, I had only done routine maintenance, but on my bike I did everything except the headset (no bearing press, and I didn't want to ghetto it). Next time I could build a bike in under 8 hours, but I'd still spend hours researching parts and finding the best deals.

Anyone can get a deal like my dad did if you do some research and know what you need, or just take a chance and get lucky, and most importantly strike fast once you see a deal you know you want. But many LBSes don't discount their end-of-year bikes anywhere near what the big online resellers do. $1600 is enough money to get a good hardtail bike. If you want full suspension, you'll be able to get a very rideable, mid-entry bike if you get the right deal.

Last edited by ColinL; 10-30-12 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-30-12, 08:27 PM
Lexi01

Bikes: Cannondale Supersix Hi-Mod / Scott Spark 930 / Scott Sportster 20 / Jamis Allegro 2.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drop
I appreciate all the advice. As for right now is like a decent trail bike. And maybe try a race.
So this will be your first bike since you were a kid and you want to not only build it but race it when you're done?

Just buy one dude...ride it...for a few years...see what you end up doing...end up liking...then maybe build one. Unless you just want to build cos you think it'll be fun...in that case all power to you.