Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Hey, I'm new!

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Hey, I'm new!

Old 10-27-12, 07:56 PM
LaserBear

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I'm new!

I believe I posted an introduction in the "Introduction Thread" a couple months ago, so without further ado...

My name is Tom. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. My stable includes a 199(6)? Trek 520, 1984 Raleigh Teton Mountain Tour, and my girlfriend's 1987 Bridgestone CB-1. The 520 is equipped with a Surly Nice Rack in the rear and a Trek brand full size rack in the front. I ride using a set of Arkel panniers in the back and Sunlight in the front. I was excited to share photo's of my bike. Unfortunately I was struck broadside by a car yesterday. She failed to stop at a stop sign and nailed me. My bike and I flew on top of her hood and immediately fell off after she slammed on her brakes. She pulled up next to me and asked if I was alright.

I said "Yeah, I think so, but let me check my bike". I turned around to look at it and she drove off! I quickly jotted down her license plate and called the police. So they made contact with her and gave her a citation. Personally I thought she would have gotten more from that but oh well. The bike is unrepairable because the frame is bent fairly good.

So now I'm looking into filing legal action against her so she will pay for the replacement of my bike. The bike is currently at the shop getting estimated. They mentioned that since the frame was bent she would have to replace it with a new 520...So here I am, waiting for Monday to come so I can go to the court house. I live in a no fault state so I'm not sure how the procedings will go.

It was nice to finally make a post on here. Too bad I waited so long.

-Tom
Old 10-27-12, 08:09 PM
NCbiker

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The first thing an attorney would tell you, would be not to discuss the accident.
Old 10-27-12, 09:19 PM
chriskmurray

Bikes: Borealis Echo, Ground Up Designs Ti Cross bike, Xtracycle, GT mod trials bike, pixie race machine

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NCbiker
The first thing an attorney would tell you, would be not to discuss the accident.
This is certainly true but welcome none the less . Hopefully you have some good luck with your case but try not to tell us too much about it until things are finalized.
Old 10-27-12, 09:58 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Welcome here, but I think this is the wrong forum in which to be discussing something like this.

Tell us about your most recent cycling tour.
Old 10-27-12, 10:08 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Welcome.

Like the previous poster, I'm confused a bit by the topic.

You should read the link below before commenting further on this subject:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...MBERS-READ****

IMO you should aim for replacement of the whole bike with same or like model. Good luck.

Last edited by seeker333; 10-27-12 at 10:12 PM.
Old 10-28-12, 10:06 AM
Niles H.
eternalvoyage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LaserBear
I believe I posted an introduction in the "Introduction Thread" a couple months ago, so without further ado...

My name is Tom. I live in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. My stable includes a 199(6)? Trek 520, 1984 Raleigh Teton Mountain Tour, and my girlfriend's 1987 Bridgestone CB-1. The 520 is equipped with a Surly Nice Rack in the rear and a Trek brand full size rack in the front. I ride using a set of Arkel panniers in the back and Sunlight in the front. I was excited to share photo's of my bike. Unfortunately I was struck broadside by a car yesterday. She failed to stop at a stop sign and nailed me. My bike and I flew on top of her hood and immediately fell off after she slammed on her brakes. She pulled up next to me and asked if I was alright.

I said "Yeah, I think so, but let me check my bike". I turned around to look at it and she drove off! I quickly jotted down her license plate and called the police. So they made contact with her and gave her a citation. Personally I thought she would have gotten more from that but oh well. The bike is unrepairable because the frame is bent fairly good.

So now I'm looking into filing legal action against her so she will pay for the replacement of my bike. The bike is currently at the shop getting estimated. They mentioned that since the frame was bent she would have to replace it with a new 520...So here I am, waiting for Monday to come so I can go to the court house. I live in a no fault state so I'm not sure how the procedings will go.

It was nice to finally make a post on here. Too bad I waited so long.

-Tom
Thanks for posting this. I had something similar happen while on tour.

And I think this is an entirely appropriate place to post. It could provide some useful information to others; and it is an interesting case in itself; and it does directly involve a touring bike, as well as a model that a number of people here have. It would be great to hear how things proceed from here.

Good luck with it, and please keep us posted. It's an interesting situation, and one wonders how a judge will handle it. Sometimes justice is done. That's what they are there for.

You're lucky you weren't hurt. That can be a long and expensive road, much more so than a damaged bike.

She should at least provide you with a new frame or a new 520.

And thanks for the reminder and refresher, to watch out for inattentive or otherwise dangerous drivers.

That is something that could serve touring cyclists well.
Old 10-28-12, 03:28 PM
Gotte

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to see you on here, especially after a collision like that. Glad you are unhurt though. Hopefully it will all turn out well, and your ride will be better after the repair. Don;t worry about it being the wrong (arguably) forum. Always nice to have new members. Felicitations.
Old 10-28-12, 08:38 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Op, you were on a touring bike, so this forum is fine for your post. Amazing you weren't injured. Lucky guy you.

Don't be a hit and run poster. Inquiring minds want to know the outcome, especially what the 'citation' was for. Good luck with the justice system.

When the dust settles, get geared up and do a tour on your new 520.
Old 10-29-12, 07:38 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18395 Post(s)
Liked 15,469 Times in 7,310 Posts
Get in touch with her insurance company. You might not have to go to court. I got hit by a cab several years ago and I got a check directly from the cab's insurance company. Although they may hem and haw at first to get you to accept less than your actual damages, it makes no financial sense for them to litigate if she was clearly in the wrong. To help matters, you might want to remind them that you could develop some soft tissue pain in your back. Also note that, depending on the jurisdiction, you might be able to go to "small claims court," which is much easier and often more plaintiff-friendly. At leats it is where I live.
Old 10-29-12, 11:15 AM
LaserBear

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Glad to see all the welcoming. I've only been on a few over night rides, one two-nighter. But a friend of mine is planning on leaving this spring on his Trek 750, he has no idea when he will be coming back. He may go over seas. I most definitely would like to go, although work and family takes priority here.
I've always been into adventuring, spending a week at a time back packing in remote areas in my region and seeing everything my state has to offer. My Nissan Pathfinder is all decked out for adventure and off road, which initially was my interest until I found touring. I never realized that adventuring on bicycle could be so rewarding. I started reading into touring bikes and gear and started a savings account for a Raleigh Sojourn. I luckily ran into this beautiful forest green 520 that was dormant in a neighbors garage. I build a rock garden for him and helped pour some concrete and picked the bike up for free.

An update on the hit and run:
Just waiting on the police report to be available now. But it looks like her insurance company is going to have to replace the bicycle. Which is good news. Personally, I had no desire to go to court.

PS: I'm also very interested in bike packing.
Old 10-29-12, 03:23 PM
Cyclebum

Bikes: Tour Easy, Linear USS, Lightening Thunderbolt, custom DF, Raleigh hybrid, Felt time trial

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Similar situation to you, op. Eric on bike was hit by a cab in Brooklyn, rolled off the hood uninjured a few days before start of tour to Seattle. This earned him a new LHT. Tough way to get one. I met up with Eric in Minnesota, he headed west, me east.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
eric.jpg (62.4 KB, 12 views)
Old 10-30-12, 07:37 AM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Tom glad your survived to tell the tale, you should claim a new bike end of story.