Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Looking at buying a Specialized Secteur...But wheels?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-13, 12:50 PM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Bikes: '14 Specialized Roubaix SL 4 Full Ultegra 6800

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I feel kinda foolish because I bought a Specialized Expedition Sport a month ago to get back into biking. Now, I'm finding myself "outgrowing" it. I find myself wanting to go faster and farther, and while the Expedition is a great comfort bike, I want something more aggressive. I was in my LBS last week looking at an Allez and the guy at the shop pointed out the Secteur with its carbon fork.

Question is whether or not it, or the wheels more specifically, can handle my weight. I'm 6'1" and was at 320lbs only 2 weeks ago. I'm now already down to 312 and falling, thanks to solid dieting and consistent time on the Expedition (100 miles done in 15 days).

The tires on the bike are 25c and 32h wheels. I know more holes and spokes are better, but is it necessary, especially since I'm going continue to drop weight? I need more speed and more distance. Unless I'm doing hills, I can easily go 15-20 miles but feel like I could be doing it faster

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/road/secteur
Old 08-21-13, 12:57 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 275 Posts
just ride them til you have problems and save up for some custom builts later. Those will range from $300-700 pending what hubs you go with ie Shimano 105s to Chris Kings.

test ride both allez and the Secteur to see which feels better.
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 08-21-13, 12:58 PM
ill.clyde

Bikes: 2009 Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 239 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
The quick and easy answer is, 32h wheels will be a great starting point for you on this bike.

Ride them, ride them hard and put lots of miles on them.

Then, in 6-12 months, after more weight loss and better fitness, buy some nicer, lighter wheels as a reward for your hard work.

Worth asking your LBS though if they'll consider a trade or trade in or something to that effect, if you absolutely don't want to keep the Expedition. It's only been a month, but you'll definitely take a depreciation hit. Still might be worth asking.

And for others who may read this, PARTICULARLY those considering a hybrid/recreational bike ... please note, the OP has ridden this bike for a MONTH and is already looking at a racier bike. THIS is exactly why I rarely support the idea of hybrids/rec bikes and why I pretty much loathe them on the whole.
Old 08-21-13, 01:28 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
As a clyde that has had wheel problems I'll give you different advice. At minimum make sure the shop properly tensions the wheels before you purchase the bike and then check at 100 and 200 miles. I really enjoyed my Secteur but had to upgrade the rear wheel after a few months, although Specialized no longer uses the same wheels that came on mine. I'm having much better luck with the wheels that came on my Roubiax.

I also believe in the correct number of bikes is one more than you own now. A comfort bike that you can mount racks on can make a great around town errand bike.
Old 08-21-13, 05:47 PM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I feel a bit better about it now. I'm looking to buy the Secteur in the next month or so. I will talk to the LBS about a trade-for-store credit and make sure they tension the wheels for me. The LBS I use is really great and they have several awards from the Better Business Bureau and I'm sure they can set it up just fine for me.

Wish I had just bought a road bike in the first place! It's frustrating to be on a downhill cranking at high gear and being topped out at 20 MPH.
Old 08-22-13, 07:17 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by copswithguns
Wish I had just bought a road bike in the first place! It's frustrating to be on a downhill cranking at high gear and being topped out at 20 MPH.
Welcome to the madness
Old 08-22-13, 07:20 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just how low is the gearing on your existing bike?

My mountain bike has a 44-32-22 triple paired to a 9-speed 11-34 cassette and I've often got that into the 30s while still not spinning out in the top gears. I think the highest I've ever got it was 38mph down a long hill and I still had another gear to go.
Old 08-22-13, 07:30 AM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Bikes: 2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp Disc, 2009 Specialized Tricross Sport RIP

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I feel kinda foolish because I bought a Specialized Expedition Sport a month ago to get back into biking. Now, I'm finding myself "outgrowing" it. I find myself wanting to go faster and farther, and while the Expedition is a great comfort bike, I want something more aggressive. I was in my LBS last week looking at an Allez and the guy at the shop pointed out the Secteur with its carbon fork.

Question is whether or not it, or the wheels more specifically, can handle my weight. I'm 6'1" and was at 320lbs only 2 weeks ago. I'm now already down to 312 and falling, thanks to solid dieting and consistent time on the Expedition (100 miles done in 15 days).

The tires on the bike are 25c and 32h wheels. I know more holes and spokes are better, but is it necessary, especially since I'm going continue to drop weight? I need more speed and more distance. Unless I'm doing hills, I can easily go 15-20 miles but feel like I could be doing it faster

Unless you're really unhappy with what you've got, or you've got bucketloads of cash to throw around, I'd suggest you stick with what you've got and get stronger on it, then get a new bike as a reward when your weight hits a certain point (maybe 250?).

I bought my mountain bike when I weighed about 280-290 or so (I only rarely weighed myself so don't know just how high it went), and rode it for two years before I bought a Specialized Tricross. During those two years the rides I was doing went from 3-4 miles to regularly covering 30-40 miles, and included covering 150 miles in two days (twice) and a one-day run of 110 miles.

The reason I'd urge caution is partly to save you money now, partly to avoid the mentality that looks to upgrade the bike when there's usually more to be gained by upgrading the rider, and partly to give you more time to consider just what it is that you want out of your bike. It would be a shame to buy your Expedition, then barely a month later buy a Secteur, only to ride for another six months and decide what you want is an all-out fast bike.
Old 08-22-13, 07:39 AM
dpicare26

Bikes: '15 BMC Granfondo '11 Stevens Carbon Team CX, '74 Schwinn Paramount, '85 Trek 600, '89 Schwinn Circuit

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 11 Posts
I was in my LBS last week looking at an Allez and the guy at the shop pointed out the Secteur with its carbon fork.

The Allez should also have carbon forks. In case that was the deal breaker for you. I love my Allez. I'm also a heavier rider @ 220ish. haven't had any spoke problems. I've put about 1,500miles on the Allez.
Old 08-22-13, 08:32 AM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

Bikes: Bulls, Bianchi, Koga, Trek, Miyata

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 18 Posts
. Unless I'm doing hills, I can easily go 15-20 miles but feel like I could be doing it faster

Your objective is to go faster? Really? Like keeping up with roadies avg. 20mph for 40 miles on your new Secteur? Although I admit to having my bout with n+1 disease the way I'd would look at it now is once I'd get routine metric centuries on my Expedition, avg. 13-15mph, then it's time to look for a fast bike. Respectfully, I think you are jumping a step if your real objective is to get bike fit, loose weight. And, that Expedition, with rear racks, would be a fun bike to keep long term, grocery getter, great for MUPs and tourist riding in the city.

I have fast bikes in my stable but they don't get nearly as much routine work as my slower bikes.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 08-22-13 at 08:37 AM.
Old 08-22-13, 11:46 AM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by contango
Just how low is the gearing on your existing bike?

My mountain bike has a 44-32-22 triple paired to a 9-speed 11-34 cassette and I've often got that into the 30s while still not spinning out in the top gears. I think the highest I've ever got it was 38mph down a long hill and I still had another gear to go.
Mine are 42/34/24.
Old 08-22-13, 11:48 AM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
Your objective is to go faster? Really? Like keeping up with roadies avg. 20mph for 40 miles on your new Secteur? Although I admit to having my bout with n+1 disease the way I'd would look at it now is once I'd get routine metric centuries on my Expedition, avg. 13-15mph, then it's time to look for a fast bike. Respectfully, I think you are jumping a step if your real objective is to get bike fit, loose weight. And, that Expedition, with rear racks, would be a fun bike to keep long term, grocery getter, great for MUPs and tourist riding in the city.

I have fast bikes in my stable but they don't get nearly as much routine work as my slower bikes.
I see your point, but in fairness, I have always had strong legs. My quads are huge and I've always had more endurance in my legs than most people I've biked with.
Old 08-22-13, 12:05 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

I don't think it's about leg strength, not if we are talking about general fitness. Can you hop on your bike this afternoon and do 60m r/t, no drama/no prep, no 8 hr march of death? Just a suggestion that this might be a better goal than - going nowhere faster.
Old 08-22-13, 12:07 PM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrenchFit
I don't think it's about leg strength, not if we are talking about general fitness. Can you hop on your bike this afternoon and do 60m r/t, no drama/no prep, no 8 hr march of death? Just a suggestion that this might be a better goal than - going nowhere faster.
60m r/t?
Old 08-22-13, 12:45 PM
contango 
2 Fat 2 Furious

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I see your point, but in fairness, I have always had strong legs. My quads are huge and I've always had more endurance in my legs than most people I've biked with.
Mine are 42/34/24.
What cassette do you have? If your smallest cog is bigger than 11t you can swap out the cassette and increase the gearing. A 42/11 gear should get you well into the 20s without spinning wildly. Swapping out the cassette will be way cheaper than a new bike and give you chance to build up your endurance before forking out for another one.

You mentioned in your OP that you can do 15-20 miles but want to be able to do it faster. If you can do 20 miles at an average of 15-20mph perhaps look to hold the average for 30 miles, or 40 miles, etc.

When I rode my mountain bike I used to try and average 15mph for as long as I was moving, and unless there were big hills or congested areas on shared paths I usually could, at least over the distances I normally covered on it. I pushed myself to go faster on the MTB, then thought about a faster bike.

Obviously it's your money and your decision. If you want to throw cash around before losing weight you could have some custom wheels made up for you, or buy a stand and build wheels for yourself.
Old 08-22-13, 12:46 PM
FrenchFit 
The Left Coast, USA

60m r/t?
60 miles round trip, a decent measure of bike fitness. My 59yo wife and I did 45m r/t Saturday, road back with some booty from the Farmers' Market, went to the gym afterwards, out to drinks & dinner that night. No drama. She's lost 125 pounds, but she's not looking for a faster bike.

All that said, if you heart yearns for something fast and sleek, enjoy. My FC custom wheeled, carbon flex wing saddled speedster looks absolutely fantastic hanging in my garage.

Last edited by FrenchFit; 08-22-13 at 12:50 PM.
Old 08-22-13, 02:34 PM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have no doubt I could do 30-40 r/t, And I may try it this weekend. I would actually like to get into some group rides and I don't think my current bike would allow for that.
Old 08-22-13, 02:41 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
You can always do a Take Off trade in deal for something more old school with 36 spokes at Point of sale..

Or even a 32 front 36 rear.. let the shop keep the Boutique low spole count ones.

drop by the shop occasionally, for touch up truing is the best way to make wheels last ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 08-22-13 at 02:45 PM.
Old 08-23-13, 10:34 AM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I'm 310 as of this morning, so I'm thinking by the time I get the scratch together for the new bike, which will take about a month or so, I'll be making good progress towards my weight loss. I come home tired from work and STILL want to go ride at night. I just can't stop.
Old 08-23-13, 10:44 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Old 08-23-13, 10:50 AM
PhotoJoe 
Just Plain Slow

Bikes: Lynskey R230

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I come home tired from work and STILL want to go ride at night. I just can't stop.
You know a new bike is only going to make this worse, right?
Old 08-23-13, 11:18 AM
ill.clyde

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by photojoe
you know a new bike is only going to make this worse, right? :d
shhh!!!!!!
Old 08-23-13, 11:48 AM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PhotoJoe
You know a new bike is only going to make this worse, right?
Only if I'm doing it right. Haha.
Old 08-23-13, 11:50 AM
copswithguns
Texas Tornado

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Now I'm wondering if I should go triple chainring or double. I live in a very hilly area. It's not uncommon for me to climb 250+ feet of elevation in a 1-2 mile stretch, depending on where I ride.
Old 08-23-13, 11:54 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Go triple....nice to have the low gears when you need them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.