Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

If You Are Tempted ...

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

If You Are Tempted ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-13, 02:59 PM
Planemaker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
If You Are Tempted ...

to not wear a helmet don't do it.

I rode in my first group metric century today (more in another thread). I hooked up with a group of 8 riders that was going at a good speed with each pair of riders taking his/turn pulling. On a switch a rider in front of me crossed wheels with the rider in front of him and he went down. In fact, he went down so hard that his helmet split completely in two in the back and the forward force after striking the back of head on the pavement caused a bruise on his forehead from the helmet. The rider was able to get up and a sag vehicle took him in, we checked at the finish about his status but did not get any information. I can't believe that he does not have a concussion but, without the helmet there would have a much more serious injury and quiet possibly a dead cyclist.
Old 09-21-13, 04:46 PM
Bikey Mikey

Bikes: Diamondback Edgewood LX; Giant Defy 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One reason I wear a helmet and even did in the late 70s/early 80s while in College(before it was common), is from personal experience. When I was 12, my father brought my new bike and me along to the gas station on base. We filled the tires and I rode the bike home--my father behind me protecting me from traffic. On a downhill slope near our house on base, I went down and do not remember a thing from about 2 feet from the ground and until 3 hours later when I awoke throwing up repeatedly. I spent the evening in the hospital since I had a concussion--bled from of the right ear during the night(the pillow was quite spotted). I didn't start wearing a helmet immediately after that, but when I got a bike for transport during college, and before people generally did, I worer one and have worn one since while riding.
Old 09-21-13, 05:48 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 786 Times in 504 Posts
Before my ride today I made a slight aerobar adjustment. 60 seconds on the bike WITH helmet on.
Old 09-21-13, 07:40 PM
WC89

Bikes: 2011 Trek 8.4 DS hybrid; 2012 Felt F-75 road bike; 1990 Specialized Stumpjumper MTB; 1992 Guerciotti road bike (inactive)

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's actually quite rare to see a roadie sans helmet, in my travels...except for today! I was in the middle of climbing a long, steep, shaded, tough hill when I see a lone roadie up ahead on the opposite side, winding up a big gear. By the time he passed me, he was moving at scary fast rate of speed... I mean, really flying, wide open! And yes, NO HELMET ON! I guess it's more important to "look good" than be bothered with a helmet.
Old 09-21-13, 07:45 PM
doctor j

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Helmet threads have a way of going south rapidly, but I'll throw in on this one. I had an experience without one that prompted me to get one and wear it. Two subsequent experiences with one made me glad I had it.
Old 09-21-13, 08:12 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
You guys know that personal experience and conclusions as to what really happened/could have happened weather wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet doesn't mean ANYTHING to people who think, no make that KNOW... That a helmet wouldn't have made any difference, since a helmet has been proven to be in-effective in many tests/and statistically not worth it...

Last edited by 350htrr; 09-21-13 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-21-13, 08:14 PM
gforeman 

Bikes: Specialized Crux Elite X1, Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert, Specialized Crux Disc

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I was a sometimes helmet guy, if I was going out of the neighborhood. Last year with the helmet on, I went down on a slow right turn, because a dump truck had dumped cinder across the lane. My head hit so hard, I cracked the helmet. If that crack had been my head, I would probably not be typing this.

I never ride without one now. I have two expensive S-Works helmets I love, light and cool. I forget they are on.

I am now a believer.

2019 Specialized Crux Elite X1
2015 Specialized Roubaix SL4 Expert
My bike page: https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles
Build a bike stand! https://www.gwfweb.com/bicycles/stands.html
Old 09-21-13, 08:19 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

OK - how many more posts until this thread gets moved to the A&S never-ending helmet thread? I say 10.
Old 09-21-13, 08:32 PM
Planemaker

Originally Posted by DnvrFox

OK - how many more posts until this thread gets moved to the A&S never-ending helmet thread? I say 10.
You're probably correct but, after what I saw today I just could not help with my public service announcement.

Sorry if anyone is offended
Old 09-21-13, 08:34 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
+10 in favor of helmets, nuff said.
Old 09-21-13, 08:41 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
You guys know that personal experience and conclusions as to what really happened/could have happened weather wearing a helmet or not wearing a helmet doesn't mean ANYTHING to people who think, no make that KNOW... That a helmet wouldn't have made any difference, since a helmet has been proven to be in-effective in many tests/and statistically not worth it...
I tested my helmet with my head inside it...It Worked Well. Yes it made Hugh Difference.

Old 09-21-13, 08:49 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox

Although the OP focused on the helmet, I see a different problem here. If people are going down in pacelines due to not knowing how to ride in one, then why is the OP riding with such people? I won't get behind anyone in a paceline until I have assessed their riding skill. I've been at it long enough that it only takes a few moments to have a pretty good idea, but I err on the side of caution. My standards are pretty high, but that's because I spent years riding with highly skilled riders and it's hard to move down the ladder to riding with squirrels.

None of what I said stops me from pulling a cyclist or a group. I just won't rotate into the middle of a mess and when/if I go to the back I'll just hang out well back until I have recovered enough to pull again. There's so few cyclists around here that this situation doesn't arise very often.
Old 09-21-13, 08:59 PM
Planemaker

Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Although the OP focused on the helmet, I see a different problem here. If people are going down in pacelines due to not knowing how to ride in one, then why is the OP riding with such people? I won't get behind anyone in a paceline until I have assessed their riding skill. I've been at it long enough that it only takes a few moments to have a pretty good idea, but I err on the side of caution. My standards are pretty high, but that's because I spent years riding with highly skilled riders and it's hard to move down the ladder to riding with squirrels.

None of what I said stops me from pulling a cyclist or a group. I just won't rotate into the middle of a mess and when/if I go to the back I'll just hang out well back until I have recovered enough to pull again. There's so few cyclists around here that this situation doesn't arise very often.
The people I rode with have ridden many miles in a paceline. I think that this was just an unfortunate accident but, I could be wrong.

FYI - I have ridden in very few pacelines and I take extreme caution while riding in one and learn as much as possible. That being said I will be on a new bike at the event next weekend I intend on taking my turns pulling but, I also intend on riding in the back while not pulling until I get more experience on the new bike.
Old 09-21-13, 09:17 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Planemaker
The people I rode with have ridden many miles in a paceline. I think that this was just an unfortunate accident but, I could be wrong.

FYI - I have ridden in very few pacelines and I take extreme caution while riding in one and learn as much as possible. That being said I will be on a new bike at the event next weekend I intend on taking my turns pulling but, I also intend on riding in the back while not pulling until I get more experience on the new bike.
Crossing wheels inadvertently is not an unfortunate accident. It's bad technique or poor focus. The majority of people I see on bikes really have no business in pacelines; they're far too squirrelly. It takes real training for most people to be competent at it, and just riding in a few pacelines doesn't necessarily provide that training. This is really a rider beware situation. If you are good with the risk of a given group, that's your call. Just remember that if something goes south, no matter who made the first mistake, it's your crash and the consequences are yours alone.
Old 09-21-13, 09:23 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I tested my helmet with my head inside it...It Worked Well. Yes it made Hugh Difference.
You go and post that in "the helmet thread" and see what your practical experience is worth...
Old 09-22-13, 08:06 AM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The debate on to wear or not wear to me is moot. I choose to wear one without exception. I will only wear Specialized helmets because they are the only manufactuers that submit to SNELL testing. My Brother In Law is an anestatist. He sees so many head injurys from cycling. Especially younger children.

Weather the helmet helps or not. I feel that wearing one may help. It certainly will not hurt. So I choose to wear a lid every time I ride.

Mark Shuman
Old 09-22-13, 08:15 AM
crazyb

Bikes: all diamond frames

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by B. Carfree
Crossing wheels inadvertently is not an unfortunate accident. It's bad technique or poor focus. The majority of people I see on bikes really have no business in pacelines; they're far too squirrelly. It takes real training for most people to be competent at it, and just riding in a few pacelines doesn't necessarily provide that training. This is really a rider beware situation. If you are good with the risk of a given group, that's your call. Just remember that if something goes south, no matter who made the first mistake, it's your crash and the consequences are yours alone.
If an inexperienced rider should never be in a paceline, how does one learn how to ride in a paceline? Video?
Old 09-22-13, 08:27 AM
NVanHiker

Bikes: 2008 Giant FCR2, 1992 Raleigh hybrid, my son's old mountain bike

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
This helmet thing is catching on - I saw a guy in downtown Vancouver wearing one the other day.
Old 09-22-13, 08:59 AM
Notgrownup

Bikes: Trek Madone 2.1

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
Me also..i cracked my first cheap bell as a test i guess... got a little better on the 2nd go around (nishiki), it is a lot cooler with the bigger openings...I wear it always now.
Old 09-22-13, 09:54 AM
TromboneAl

Bikes: 1997 Specialized M2Pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
When you about to discard an old helmet, try smashing it on the ground hard enough to crack it. It's pretty hard to do.

I sometimes see a touring cyclist climbing a hill with a helmet one his/her pack or handlebars.
Old 09-22-13, 10:48 AM
capejohn

Bikes: Giant easy e, Priority Onyx, Scott Sub 40, Marin Belvedere Commuter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 32 Posts
I wear my helmet while video recording the rides I work and my attention is not always on what's in front of me. Where I ride recreational, it's a 70-30 split with the 70 not wearing a helmet. The 30% are mostly senior citizens on their comfort bikes riding the MUP at 6 MPH. Personally I'm not a helmet guy and rarely wear one.
Old 09-22-13, 10:56 AM
longbeachgary

Bikes: Eddy Merckx San Remo 76, Eddy Merckx San Remo 76 - Black Silver and Red, Eddy Merckx Sallanches 64 (2); Eddy Merckx MXL;

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Whether.
Old 09-22-13, 12:01 PM
Wileyrat

Bikes: 2015 Ridley Fenix, 1983 Team Fuji, 2019 Marin Nail Trail 6

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 228 Times in 138 Posts
I always wear helmets, I don't ride in pacelines. I got offered to hook up with one this morning, but I'm just more comfortable not doing it.
Old 09-22-13, 12:38 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
I have nothing to add, but...

In Before the Lock!!!
Old 09-22-13, 03:04 PM
Zinger
Trek 500 Kid

Bikes: '83 Trek 970 road --- '86 Trek 500 road

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2904 Post(s)
Liked 382 Times in 307 Posts
Originally Posted by crazyb
If an inexperienced rider should never be in a paceline, how does one learn how to ride in a paceline? Video?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.