Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Video: Cycling in the US from a Dutch Perspective

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-13, 11:45 PM
Elvo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 630 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 206 Posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m2THe_10dYs

Pfft cycling in the US is 30x more dangerous than anywhere else?
Old 10-01-13, 01:25 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
They should take a video of us cyclist having to compete with our "so called Canadians".
Maybe just say North America.
Old 10-01-13, 02:48 AM
HonestOne

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know, I wasn't too impressed by his criticism of the US. I'm guessing the target audience was other Dutch people? Didn't really do any comparisons. The idea of having parked cars between the bike lane and the street was interesting.
Old 10-01-13, 03:15 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
But was he right?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 10-01-13, 05:00 AM
jland

Bikes: Soma Smoothie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think it was as much criticism as observing and contrasting attitudes towards cycling in North American and European cities. A lot of it was pretty spot-on, IMO. The city with the bike traffic lights is Vancouver, BC . Here's another video from the same person about bike paths...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBdf9jYj7o
Old 10-01-13, 05:32 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Bikes: Giant Defy with Dura Ace group, & Ksyrium SL's,Specialized Allez Shimano mixed/mashed,2011 Opus Sentiero,2008 Kona Jake the Snake,Custom built track/fixed,Stumpy Hartail,Kuwahara/ET bike.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jland
I don't think it was as much criticism as observing and contrasting attitudes towards cycling in North American and European cities. A lot of it was pretty spot-on, IMO. The city with the bike traffic lights is Vancouver, BC . Here's another video from the same person about bike paths...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XuBdf9jYj7o
I'm from Van.too. I haven't noticed these lights around town.
Old 10-01-13, 06:50 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3137 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 1,029 Posts
Originally Posted by Elvo
Pfft cycling in the US is 30x more dangerous than anywhere else?
That's not what he said; that stat was in comparison to the Netherlands only, not everywhere else.
Old 10-01-13, 07:10 AM
the sci guy 
bill nyecycles

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 350 Times in 190 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
But was he right?
yes.

Originally Posted by chaadster
That's not what he said; that stat was in comparison to the Netherlands only, not everywhere else.
listening skills. how do they work?
Old 10-01-13, 07:11 AM
Ghost Ryder
Ghost Ryding 24/7

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
Yup, that's why they don't have mandatory helmet laws either.
I wouldn't dare ride without one in my area.
Old 10-01-13, 07:44 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Yes, I also think the video's observations were spot on, although the underlying premise seems to be that Dutch cycling is a model to which the USA should aspire, which I don't necessarily agree with, simply because I don't think we can ever expect enough people to embrace that model and effect the 'will to change' to achieve it.

So while better 'infra' here in the USA is a goal, how we get it, justify it, and maintain it will be different from the NL model, even if a lot of it looks the same.

When the narrator says that cycling flourishes in the USA 'despite the infra, and not because of it,' I think that is a brilliant insight that captures the essence of both the reality of the situation and the unique American cultural attributes that set our development path apart from everyone else.
Old 10-01-13, 08:11 AM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the factors alluded to in the video is driver education. When cycling in the Netherlands, one doesn't encounter such ignorant attitudes towards the space a cyclist needs on the road. Drivers there are expert at shoulder checking when preparing for right turns. And they typically don't invade on street bike lane as often or recklessly.
How do we prepare the next generation of North American drivers in a bike-compatible way?
Old 10-01-13, 08:58 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by Ferrous Bueller
How do we prepare the next generation of North American drivers in a bike-compatible way?
We could stop voting people without a civic conscience into government office, for starters.
Old 10-01-13, 09:10 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Agree. We'd all benefit from more road user education and continued awareness programs.
Old 10-01-13, 09:10 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I agree with all of his key points:
1. Cycling lanes are uncommon and even when they are available, they're almost always tacked-on, easily invaded painted lines that are no safer than riding on the street.
2. Cycling = either lycra/racing or kids on BMX here for the vast majority of people. There's very few commuters or "destination" cyclists. Such people are generally seen as oddballs who are taking their lives in their hands.
3. I am often asked why I ride on the road as if even the thought of riding on the road is dangerous, weird and even illegal. There's a pervasive attitude that bikes are toys to be enjoyed in bike-specific environments only. Drivers often seem actively shocked and/or annoyed by the mere presence of a cyclist on the road, as if they have no place at all.
4. Finding good, practical destination / commuting cycling gear can be somewhat difficult in the US.
5. Despite all of that, things are getting a bit better in this country.

There are of course exceptions to all of the above and cycling in the States can be truly great. There are even places where commuting by bike is a completely viable option. However, in the vast, vast majority of the country bikes and cyclists are simply not taken seriously. I will say that comparing the US to the Netherlands is a bit unfair given the vastly different scale and population. The distances alone make cycling in the US impractical on a Dutch scale. However, in more densely populated areas clearly a lot of work remains to make cycling a more reasonable, acceptable option for people.

A controversial suggestion might be asking cyclists to pony up some money for riding on the road. Given that bikes cause very little wear and tear to streets and that space requirments are small, such a tax should be relatively low (maybe an annual bike license fee). Also, the presence of such a tax would go a long way in convincing people of the validity of cycling and cyclists. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to such a decision if the cyclists got some respect and infrastructure in return.

Last edited by Hiro11; 10-01-13 at 09:18 AM.
Old 10-01-13, 09:19 AM
gilaasepeda

Bikes: "26" kona kula watt team carbon, "700c" colnago CLX, "700" colnago c59

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i wish our government wake up make those eco ride become reality in here, change from motorcycle into bicycle. healthy life, less pollution and save gas.
Old 10-01-13, 09:29 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ghost Ryder
I'm from Van.too. I haven't noticed these lights around town.
The last time I was there (about 1 year ago), I noticed them when I was going up on Hornby. While I see more cyclists in Vancouver and bike use as transportation, in general, once you get outside of the downtown core or the most popular cycling routes (e.g. the ones from downtown to North Van via Lion Gate), I didn't notice any huge difference between US and Canada in infrastructure for or car driver's attitude towards cyclists. Toronto is probably much closer than a US city than Vancouver.
Old 10-01-13, 09:31 AM
coasting 
Still can't climb

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
So when you watch a video that basically says "you suck" from beginning to end, how mad do you feel that a foreigner is saying this about your country?

No @coasting, you should stay 100% as you are right now, don't change a thing....quote Heathpack
Old 10-01-13, 09:39 AM
dalava

Bikes: Moots Vamoots, Colnago C60, Santa Cruz Stigmata CC, and too many other bikes I don't ride

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by coasting
So when you watch a video that basically says "you suck" from beginning to end, how mad do you feel that a foreigner is saying this about your country?
If they are objective and stating facts, I am ok with that. We are not that exceptional.
Old 10-01-13, 09:44 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
The problem is that there are two kinds of cycling, not both of which respond positively to the same influences. Infrastructure is about cycle-commuting and other cycling that uses the bike as a tool to get around. You could have all the city cycling infrastructure you want, but it wouldn't help serious exercise cyclists. For all the millions of cyclists on the city streets every day in Holland, you can't get a good workout in their midst. No point here except to say it is a terribly complex issue.
Old 10-01-13, 09:50 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
A controversial suggestion might be asking cyclists to pony up some money for riding on the road. Given that bikes cause very little wear and tear to streets and that space requirments are small, such a tax should be relatively low (maybe an annual bike license fee). Also, the presence of such a tax would go a long way in convincing people of the validity of cycling and cyclists. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to such a decision if the cyclists got some respect and infrastructure in return.
That would be controversial, and it would be counter-productive. Creating barriers to entry to an activity will decrease participation in that activity. It's difficult enough to get around by bike in the US, if people have to pay $50 a year for the privilege on top of that, it just wouldn't be worth it to get a bike.

It's a cliche at this stage, but my road taxes and insurance on my Focus are fully paid up. I'd say I paid mine this year more timely than the SOB that blazed his horn at me last Wednesday tearing past in his souped-up Civic giving me the finger even though there were 2 of us riding single file in the shoulder. Every trip I make on my bike decreases road traffic in my town, decreases street wear in town, decreases pollution, etc etc. There is no reason I should make any further financial contribution, unless it was to a fund that could be ring-fenced purely for the purposes of cycling infrastructure. Even then, I doubt that fund would accumulate enough to make a difference.
Old 10-01-13, 09:51 AM
RollCNY
Speechless

Bikes: Felt Brougham, Lotus Prestige, Cinelli Xperience,

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 16 Posts
So a country with 3.27 km of road for every square kilometer, and 123 people per kilometer of road, is better set up for cycling than a country with 0.68 km of road for every sq km, and 49 people per kilometer of road? Wow, I am shocked. People embrace cycling in a community where cycling is a viable means of everyday transport, and don't where it isn't. Unheard of.
Old 10-01-13, 09:57 AM
Ferrous Bueller
absent

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
For all the millions of cyclists on the city streets every day in Holland, you can't get a good workout in their midst.
Serious cyclists in Holland use the city infrastructures too, though sometimes at reduced speeds. That's how they get out onto the rural and inter-city bike infrastructure. Many also use the commute as a workout, when living and working in different cities.
The often seamless transition from urban pathways to extra-urban ones is one of the reasons sport-cycling is so popular there.
Old 10-01-13, 09:59 AM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rpenmanparker
The problem is that there are two kinds of cycling, not both of which respond positively to the same influences. Infrastructure is about cycle-commuting and other cycling that uses the bike as a tool to get around. You could have all the city cycling infrastructure you want, but it wouldn't help serious exercise cyclists. For all the millions of cyclists on the city streets every day in Holland, you can't get a good workout in their midst. No point here except to say it is a terribly complex issue.
I think the guy in the video is purely talking about bicycle use as transportation. From that perspective, we have a very poor infrastructure, coupled with the car-centric cultural attitude, I don't ever see the use of bicycle as meaningful transportation means for large number of Americans.

Cycling as a sport and recreational activity is an entirely different matter. It does not require infrastructure change. I am not sure if there is anything to be done here other than raising awareness of our presence on the roads.
Old 10-01-13, 10:01 AM
dalava

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Ferrous Bueller
Serious cyclists in Holland use the city infrastructures too, though sometimes at reduced speeds. That's how they get out onto the rural and inter-city bike infrastructure. Many also use the commute as a workout, when living and working in different cities.
The often seamless transition from urban pathways to extra-urban ones is one of the reasons sport-cycling is so popular there.
And it's also very flat.

Pure anecdote, the only two fully spandexed cyclists I saw during my week in Amsterdam were Americans visiting.
Old 10-01-13, 10:08 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by RollCNY
So a country with 3.27 km of road for every square kilometer, and 123 people per kilometer of road, is better set up for cycling than a country with 0.68 km of road for every sq km, and 49 people per kilometer of road? Wow, I am shocked. People embrace cycling in a community where cycling is a viable means of everyday transport, and don't where it isn't. Unheard of.
He compares Dutch cities directly with American cities. Amsterdam (9,000/sq mi) has lower population density than Chicago (11k), barely half that of San Francisco (17k) and a third that of NYC (27,550).

Where his comparison does fall down is his surprise that more people aren't riding upright with sit-up-and-beg handlebars. A lot of Davis cyclists commute (to class, to work, whatever) on the same bike that they go for a fitness ride (on the road, trail, in the park) on Sunday. Your Dutch Citybike isn't very good for that purpose. Any maybe some of the people in lycra that he pokes fun at are actually heading out to the hills to go for a 2 hour training spin.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.