Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Okay, so I'm a Clydesdale... What's the best road bike?

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-13, 03:08 PM
ButchA

Bikes: 1985 Fuji Del Rey, 25" frame, 12 speed

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts

Good afternoon,

Since I'm 52 yrs old and 6'0" and 210 lbs, I guess that qualifies me as a Clydesdale. I posted an introduction on that page and submitted a photo of my old Schwinn Alum Comp mountain bike:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...hmond-Virginia!

I plan on hanging onto the Schwinn for those days when I want to get crazy and splash through the mud on the singletrack trails in the woods (but within reason).

I am looking into doing more road riding and can't see myself on a serious $2500 Specialized drop bar racing bike. I have checked out Trek, Giant, and Fuji so far.

Trek FX 7.2
Giant Escape 3
Fuji Absolute 2.1

Out of these 3, which would be the best bang for the buck?
Old 10-13-13, 03:17 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,245 Times in 623 Posts
Drop bars gives you more hand positions for longer rides.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us/...5/14807/66177/

Old 10-13-13, 03:23 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

I am your size and weight.

65 y/o here with 9,000 miles, now 71 y/o with 40,000 miles on the bike.

Old 10-13-13, 03:28 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ButchA
Trek FX 7.2
Giant Escape 3
Fuji Absolute 2.1
Those three are really "Hybrids" and not "Road bikes". The difference is that hybrids have:

1. Wider tires
2. Flat bars
3. Lower gearing

There's nothing wrong with them, they're all good bikes. In fact I wanted an FX myself at one point. But many people find that they have a little regret if they buy a hybrid and eventually just buy a "proper" road bike with drop bars. I would highly recommend looking into a drop-bar bike myself. After riding one I'll never go back to flat bars.

I'd look for a budget road bike. For example, here's a $1000 Specialized Tricross:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...cross/tricross

It's aluminum, has 8 speeds, and a triple. It's designed for Cyclocross so it's a bit more rugged than a typical road bike, good for clydes; and the triple will help you get up some bigger hills as a clyde. That's just the first one off the top of my head, by no means is it the best (I haven't looked in some time!). I'm sure there's many others.
Old 10-13-13, 03:31 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Almost any road bike sold today will be worth considering. Ask the seller, or review the website, to see if any weight limit applies. Some stock wheelsets will be marginal for a cyclist above 200 lb. Most well made 32 spoke wheelsets will be strong enough for a Clyde. If less than 32 spokes are seen, check again for a weight limit.

Enjoy your search! I would include Cyclocross bikes, they are great on trails and gravel and can be fast road bikes, too.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-13-13, 03:36 PM
ButchA

Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
I am your size and weight.

65 y/o here with 9,000 miles, now 71 y/o with 40,000 miles on the bike.

Thanks... Your photo serves as an inspiration!
Old 10-13-13, 04:53 PM
ButchA

Since 10 Wheels posted up a photo, I'll do the same.

This is a photo that a friend of mine took when we did the Anthem "Moonlight Ride" in Richmond, Virginia. It is a really great charity ride through Richmond in the evening after dinner. One ride is 8 miles and the other is 17 miles. Everyone from all ages can ride. I clipped on the Topeak MTX trunk bag, so I could stash my stuff in it while riding.

Also, regarding the choices of a true road bike, a hybrid bike, or a cyclocross bike, here are some photos of a beautiful "rail trail" that is out in Farmville, Virginia that they opened up last year. It is all 100% crushed pea gravel and dirt. Even though there are no bumps or any hazards on the trail, I don't know if a true racing road bike would handle it too good.

The start of the "rail trail" from the road and parking lot.
https://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q...RdEntrance.jpg

Here's the rest of the photos in a slideshow format:
https://s137.photobucket.com/user/but...Bridge%20Trail

So as you can see, I enjoy light trail riding besides 100% true dedicated road riding. Heck, I just love getting out there and riding no matter where I go! Like I mentioned before, I am 210 lbs and want to lose a little weight, and have found that bike riding is an excellent way to do that.

What type of bike can do anything (within reason) and go on crushed gravel "rail trails" and also be able to keep up with the high end racers out on the streets?
Old 10-13-13, 04:57 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I'd get something like the surly cross check. A cross bike give you nice fat tires and forgiving gearing. It will be very comfortable to ride and better for long distance riding than a hybrid.
Old 10-13-13, 04:59 PM
rgwinn

Bikes: Trek Madone 4.5

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am 52, 6'1 207lbs, here is my bike:

2011 Trek Madone 4.5 Carbon Fiber
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Trek_Madone_45.jpg (98.8 KB, 86 views)
Old 10-13-13, 05:10 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Likes this one...Thanks

Old 10-13-13, 05:56 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
What type of bike can do anything (within reason) and go on crushed gravel "rail trails" and also be able to keep up with the high end racers out on the streets?
A high performance Cyclocross bike can support a wide range of expert level recreational cycling. The carbon fiber bike below is fast enough to belong in a 19 mph group ride, it performs well at hilly century rides and is ideal on a gravel trail. It could also support credit-card touring, something I plan on trying one day.

I use the CX2 as an all-around bike. The CX2 allow me to enjoy the smoother trails and gravel that are common in the Midwest. I also can just ride across the pot-holed and patched suburban streets.

The ride quality and handling is exceptional. the bike feels stiff and solid but the tires provide a little useful plushness that is ideal for a wide range of cycling.

The bike will also take fenders and a rear rack. The bike is now my #1 ride.

When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.
Old 10-13-13, 07:32 PM
B8888S

Bikes: '13 Roubaix Elite Apex, '13 Stumpjumper FSR Elite, '14 Demo 8 II, & '13 Stumpjumper Comp HT

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know what your budget is for a new bike. If I was going to be riding on terrain like you posted, I would be looking at a nice cyclocross bike. My LBS had a Specialized Crux the other day and it looked pretty sweet!
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bik...x/crux-e5-sora

They also a had a Trek Crossrip that looked like it would fit the bill for you as well.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...ross/crossrip/

For my riding, I chose to go with a dedicated road bike and a hard tail mountain bike. The road bike is my everyday exercise machine and the mountain bike is for weekend playtime.
Old 10-13-13, 07:59 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, the best bike for you is the one you want to ride the most. If it has a banana seat and streamers, so be it.

Personally, I'd get a nice road bike with plenty of clearance for larger tires. A cross bike would be a second choice, though they don't handle as well (higher BB) and they certainly don't stop nearly as well.

I went steel after a lot of alloy frames. Carbon feels meh to me, and I've ridden $10,000 carbon wonder bikes from the big boys. Go out and ride as many as you can. Imagine your favorite route, and what you're climbing onto. Get that bike. Ride, repeat, be happy.

Oh, and save some of the budget for handbuilt wheels.
Old 10-13-13, 08:03 PM
adrien

Bikes: Firefly custom Road, Ira Ryan custom road bike, Ira Ryan custom fixed gear

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BTW, any road bike with 28s could handle that trail, no worries. I ride gravel all the time on 25s, though I have clearance up to 38.

Gratuitous dream bike photo attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Ira new 2013.jpg (103.6 KB, 65 views)
Old 10-13-13, 08:29 PM
ButchA

Originally Posted by B8888S
For my riding, I chose to go with a dedicated road bike and a hard tail mountain bike. The road bike is my everyday exercise machine and the mountain bike is for weekend playtime.
You know what? This ^^^^ makes perfect sense to me. Thank you!

I have my brother-in-law's old Schwinn Alum Comp mountain bike (upgraded with better components) that I ride everywhere. It does everything I ask of it. It was free, so I can't complain!

A dedicated road bike would be the logical choice as I don't think I'd be too comfortable taking that old Schwinn for a 25-30 mile bike ride on the road! I mean, it would do it, but it would take me half the day! Just as a true road bike wouldn't be a match for some gnarly muddy singletrack mountain bike trails. The road bike might end up getting get bent up into a pretzel!!

You all have convinced me...

Schwinn Alum Comp: Keep it for the nasty, muddy, singletrack mountain bike trails, bike paths and rail trails.

A new drop bar road bike: Road biking, touring, charity rides, but nothing too advanced/high tech/road racing.

Edit: I would need something rugged, that I'd be comfortable on and still be able to keep up. Honest - I have no interest in time trials and/or road racing. It's not my style. If there is a very nice sturdy and even budget based, entry level, type of drop bar road bike, I need to check it out....

Last edited by ButchA; 10-13-13 at 08:34 PM.
Old 10-13-13, 08:45 PM
2 wheeler
Ancient Clydesdale

Bikes: Specialized Allez Elite

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

IMO, that bike is super small (frame wise) for a guy your size. Make sure that the next bike is sized properly so that you will enjoy it.
Old 10-13-13, 08:55 PM
ButchA

I know... That has already been said to me a few times.

My brother-in-law is 5'9" and the old Schwinn fit him perfectly. When he gave it to me, I thought nothing of it and continued to ride the heck out of it. I do get cramped on it after about 10-12 miles or so. It was free, so what the heck, you know?

The next bike will be a 60cm large framed sturdy road bike that will last me for years and years.
Old 10-13-13, 09:08 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
you may be 210 but that is well within the design specs of most (I'd say all but I'm not sure) road bikes. Other than staying away from wheels designed for featherweights, and some pedals, you're good to go.
Old 10-13-13, 09:22 PM
tunavic

Bikes: '12 BMC Road Racer, Pinarello KOBH

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I'm same height as you but about 10 lbs heavier. I too didn't see myself riding a road bike but after a while you just want to go faster. Get a road bike and don't look back.

I test road this today and it was a plush ride yet it felt fast:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...s/domane_5_2/#

Edit: Also the shifting was silky smooth! Much better than the Ultegra 10 speed on my BMC.

Last edited by tunavic; 10-13-13 at 09:26 PM. Reason: added some info
Old 10-13-13, 09:30 PM
CommuteCommando

Bikes: KHS Alite 500, Trek 7.2 FX , Masi Partenza, Masi Fixed Special, Masi Cran Criterium

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Trek FX 7.2
Giant Escape 3
Fuji Absolute 2.1
All are good. The best one for you is the one that feels best to you. I like the Giant. YMMV.

If you want a smoother ride and drop bars, a cross bike is a good choice. An economical road bike in the $700-1k range would be a good way to start. Put a couple thousand miles on it then start test riding other stuff. You should have a good baseline for comparison.
Old 10-13-13, 11:21 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
plenty of great options here. just choose your price range.

at 210lbs you probably dont have to be too concerned about most wheelsets. give yourself a month or 2 of riding a few times a week and you'll quickly be under the cylde limit.

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/road_bikes.htm
Old 10-14-13, 05:24 AM
WestPablo
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would suggest that you research the Surly Pacer, the Giant Defy, and the GT Corsa.

Also the Nashbar Steel Cyclocross bike seems to be well within your budget

www.nashbar.com

Last edited by WestPablo; 10-14-13 at 05:38 AM.
Old 10-14-13, 09:40 AM
expatbrit

Bikes: Ridley X-Fire (now an ex-bicycle), Trek X-Cal, Giant Defy 3

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by tunavic
I'm same height as you but about 10 lbs heavier. I too didn't see myself riding a road bike but after a while you just want to go faster. Get a road bike and don't look back.

I test road this today and it was a plush ride yet it felt fast:

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/bikes...s/domane_5_2/#

Edit: Also the shifting was silky smooth! Much better than the Ultegra 10 speed on my BMC.
Want to go fast, or just get stravapetitive?

I have to say I'm in this boat. I can't afford a new roadbike, especially not an expensive Domane/Madone/Roubaix just now, but I wantssssss one, my preciiiousss.
Old 10-18-13, 04:42 PM
Dado00

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is exactly what I'm looking for as well. I'm torn between two Cannondales, a Quick SL 2 hybrid, and a CAADX 7 cyclocross. They're both basically Sora drivetrains, which I find confusing - how is Sora "low end" for road bikes but "high end" for hybrids? Is it an durability expectation given cyclocross riders are (I'm guessing) likely to put bazillions more miles on their bikes than recreational hybrid riders?

Anyway, they're both the same price, and I'm probably going to end up selecting the CAADX because it seems more versatile. Plus I'm moving myself down in weight by training for a Triathlon, and the CAADX looks like it might actually be ok to ride in on.

But I'm really not sure - just have to remind myself I end up with a very nice bike either way!

Last edited by Dado00; 10-18-13 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-18-13, 09:30 PM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I bought a Trek FX 7.2 and in retrospect, it was a mistake. I should have gone straight to a true road bike. I have one now and really enjoy it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.