Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Components

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-13, 04:07 PM
JoeGrizzly

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Components

What parts make up the component groups on a bike. I read about this group being better or worse than that group, but I don't know what parts make up the groups. Also, how difficult is it to upgrade components, and is it possible to have a mixed group of components. Thanks for your responses.
Old 10-13-13, 04:24 PM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Shifters and derailleurs are the first items people look for when determining group. Crankset and cassette are considered next. Brakes, hubs, bottom bracket and headset are usually independent of the other components, but sometimes are the same make and model.

Components don't need to match. 10 speed Shimano are compatible regardless of Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105 or Tiagra brand. Sram and Shimano can be mixed to some extent. Cranksets can be mixed and matched.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-13-13 at 04:28 PM.
Old 10-13-13, 07:44 PM
softreset

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 54 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeGrizzly
What parts make up the component groups on a bike. I read about this group being better or worse than that group, but I don't know what parts make up the groups. Also, how difficult is it to upgrade components, and is it possible to have a mixed group of components. Thanks for your responses.
From High to Low (price):

Shimano: Dura-Ace (Electronic option) -> Ultegra (Electronic option) -> 105 -> Tiagra -> Sora -> Claris

SRAM: Red -> Force -> Rival -> Apex

Campagnolo: Super Record (Electronic option) -> Record (Electronic option) -> Chorus -> Athena (Electronic option) -> Centaur -> Veloce

Depending on your budget you can easily spend a whole lot of money on components.
Old 10-14-13, 08:55 PM
JoeGrizzly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by softreset
From High to Low (price):

Shimano: Dura-Ace (Electronic option) -> Ultegra (Electronic option) -> 105 -> Tiagra -> Sora -> Claris

SRAM: Red -> Force -> Rival -> Apex

Campagnolo: Super Record (Electronic option) -> Record (Electronic option) -> Chorus -> Athena (Electronic option) -> Centaur -> Veloce

Depending on your budget you can easily spend a whole lot of money on components.
Is there a certain time of year where components are better priced, like late fall or winter?
Old 10-14-13, 09:01 PM
phread59

Bikes: Old Fuji road,Cirrus Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will add one warning. Some Dura Ace components are not compatible with others, so beware when playing with Dura Ace.

I have an older Fuji road bike. It has Cannondale brake calipers. Dura Ace bar end shifters. Shimano I have no clue brake levers. Shimano Deore mountain crankset with an LX front derailer. Ultegra 11-28 cassette and 105 medium cage rear derailure. All topped of with Mavic CXP22 rims laced to 105 hubs and a Dura Ace chain. All 9 speed components.

You can't get any more grouppo mixed than that. Oh yea it works just fine thank you very much.

Mark Shuman
Old 10-14-13, 10:51 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Most of my bike are of mixed race. Since I'm a big guy, I like large cassettes in the rear mixed with my road bike front cranksets and derailleurs. So I end up with large 11-32t cassettes in the rear and long cage mountain bike derailleurs and road bike stuff up front.

The only real reasons to upgrade to stuff like Dura Ace is shaving grams off your bike so you can get a competitive edge and lose a thousandth or few off of your lap time.

Some dura ace components like Dura Ace cassettes wear a lot faster than say a 105 cassette due to materials used.
Old 10-14-13, 11:27 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
When buying components, you can buy them individually (obviously) or you can buy a 5-piece or 8-piece group. 5 piece is usually shifters, cassette, chain and both derailleurs. 8 piece adds the brakes and crank, if I recall correctly. The 5 piece set is more of an upgrade kit, the 8 piece is more of a bike built kid.

The best prices I've seen are at ribble (in the UK).

What are you trying to accomplish? It's generally more expensive to upgrade piece meal but for the most part, items within a manufacturer's groups are interchangeable (as long as you match the speeds, with a few other notable exceptions when Shimano changed the brake pull or the rear hub splining for dura ace)

Also... cranks come in 30mm or 24mm spindle diameters and while you can use a 24mm spindle in a 30mm bottom bracket with an adapter, the reverse is not true.
Old 10-15-13, 08:01 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,217 Times in 2,364 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Shifters and derailleurs are the first items people look for when determining group. Crankset and cassette are considered next. Brakes, hubs, bottom bracket and headset are usually independent of the other components, but sometimes are the same make and model.

Components don't need to match. 10 speed Shimano are compatible regardless of Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105 or Tiagra brand. Sram and Shimano can be mixed to some extent. Cranksets can be mixed and matched.
I would add a some caveats. Shimano Dynasys shifters and derailers (mountain bike components) will only work within the Dynasys system. A Dynasys derailer will not work with Shimano STI road components. Shimano road front derailers will work with STI road shifters and Shimano mountain bike front derailers (old stock before 2012) will work with Shimano mountain bike shifters but Shimano road front derailers may not work with Shimano mountain shifters. Sometimes they can be made to work together but it's hit or miss. Dynasys doesn't work outside the platform.

Sram X shifters and rear derailers will work together but won't work with other shifters. Sram front derailers will work with Shimano mountain bike shifters.

Finally, Shimano has changed the pull ratio on their road brakes. 2013 STI may not work with other brakes or with older Shimano components.

You have to be careful what you try and mix and match now. Stupid Shimano!
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 10-15-13, 10:09 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
I would add a some caveats. Shimano Dynasys shifters and derailers (mountain bike components) will only work within the Dynasys system. A Dynasys derailer will not work with Shimano STI road components. Shimano road front derailers will work with STI road shifters and Shimano mountain bike front derailers (old stock before 2012) will work with Shimano mountain bike shifters but Shimano road front derailers may not work with Shimano mountain shifters. Sometimes they can be made to work together but it's hit or miss. Dynasys doesn't work outside the platform.

Sram X shifters and rear derailers will work together but won't work with other shifters. Sram front derailers will work with Shimano mountain bike shifters.

Finally, Shimano has changed the pull ratio on their road brakes. 2013 STI may not work with other brakes or with older Shimano components.

I now you need to include that digital shifters and derailleurs need to match and can't be mixed with mechanical devices, if you really want to provide every detail.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 10-15-13 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-15-13, 10:27 AM
rsacilotto

Bikes: 1983 Trek 760, 2000 Fuji Team, 1988 Schwinn Voyageur

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I'm with TrojanHorse, it all depends on what you're trying to do. Can you provide more details on your current setup and what you're aiming at for improvements?

Regarding difficulty, a lot of it depends on your skills and tools. With the right amount of both, component swaps can often be easy, especially derailers, brakes and shifters. Cassettes/cranks/BBs/headsets can be more difficult because of specialized tools and/or torque specifications. Cantilever brakes can be finicky to adjust. If you don't already know, learn about cable housing for shift vs. brake. Get a good cable cutter. Taping handlebars just takes technique and practice (practice helps everything!). Visit the Park Tools website, there's a lot to learn there.
Old 10-15-13, 12:09 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phread59
I will add one warning. Some Dura Ace components are not compatible with others, so beware when playing with Dura Ace.

I have an older Fuji road bike. It has Cannondale brake calipers. Dura Ace bar end shifters. Shimano I have no clue brake levers. Shimano Deore mountain crankset with an LX front derailer. Ultegra 11-28 cassette and 105 medium cage rear derailure. All topped of with Mavic CXP22 rims laced to 105 hubs and a Dura Ace chain. All 9 speed components.

You can't get any more grouppo mixed than that. Oh yea it works just fine thank you very much.

Mark Shuman

It should also be noted that Shimano and SRAM derailleurs have different pull ratios, so you cannot mix Shimano Shifters with SRAM derailleurs, and vice versa.

I also believe that Shimano road and mountain shifters use different pull ratios as well.
Old 10-15-13, 12:38 PM
Pamestique 
Shredding Grandma!

Bikes: I don't own any bikes

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute

Stupid - or clever marketing? Forces you to buy the full (and expensive) groupo over separate parts.

My road bike was built up in 2010. I have Shimano Ultegra 10 speed shifters, brakes, front derailleur but a Sram XX 36 tooth cassette on the rear which I use with a Shimano XT (mountain bike) rear derailleur. If you look around you can pick up new "old" parts. My guy loves to build up bikes and spent alot of time scrouring bike shops and the internet for older model parts which are new to use. The 2013+ plus stuff across all brands is harder to mix and match. Now that 11 speed stuff is out and everyone wants the fancy electronic shifting, you can pick up old new parts for pennies on the dollar.

Private docent led mountain bike rides through Limestone Canyon. Go to letsgooutside.org and register today! Also available: hikes, equestrian rides and family events as well as trail maintenance and science study.
Old 10-15-13, 12:42 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
The parts pick, by the product manager, is part of the target price point for the whole bike,

once it is put together and ready to ride at the bike shop.

Predominantly the component parts ship in bulk to the factories that make bikes

under multiple brand names , for various importing distributors.
Old 10-15-13, 07:09 PM
JoeGrizzly

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not planning on doing anything for awhile. I just bought a Jamis Nova Sport. At some point, I think I would like to upgrade to 105 group and a carbon fiber fork (I realize the fork is not part of the components). The bike I was originally going to purchase was a leftover set up similar to this. Someone got it before I had the money. I love the bike I have, but wondering about what it would take to make this happen.
Old 10-15-13, 11:04 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1107 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
It might be cheaper to buy a bike with the components you want and either keep your Jamis for backup duty or sell it.

Your bike is a cross bike, so there may be some brake compatibility issues I'm missing too.

Having said that, I tend to alternately "upgrade" either the frame or the components... I haven't bought a new bike complete since 1992. Putting a new groupset on is not a daunting task, although it does require a few specialized tools.