Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Crank Size Question

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Crank Size Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-15, 06:36 AM
myth001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Crank Size Question

Guys, I've been riding a 170 mm Ultegra 6800 on my road bike for a couple of years now. And I ride a 165mm on my track bike. I don't have problems with both.

I love high cadence, can spin 100 average for hours, and reaching 145 in fast rides (Don't call them sprints, as I'm just not fast enough to be one ).

My in-seam is 29.5", so yes, I'm on the shorter side of things.

I love riding the local short hills, that have some 'walls' climbing at 12-15%. But they're short hills - so no long endless climbs that I would've loved. The longest continuous climb locally is about 1 km long stretch.

Now I just found a deal on a Dura Ace 9000 172.5 mm crankset.

The questions is, going from Ultegra to Dura Ace, how much gain there is?

And, going from 170mm to 172.5mm, for a short guy who likes high cadence, is it going to affect my performance/comfort levels?

Please let me know soon. I'm meeting this guy for his DA9000 FD + RD today anyways. And I already have the DA shifters. So, the DA crankset will complete the groupset, but I'm unsure of the 170 to 172.5 mm jump.
Old 03-12-15, 06:49 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
The only way that you're going to find out is to spend the money or borrow a bike with 172.5 cranks. The difference it only 5 mm ( 2.5 down + 2.5 up) which isn't much math-wise, but may make a difference to your pedaling and cadence. I'm of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" camp. I sounds to me like 170's work well for you.
Old 03-12-15, 04:45 PM
AnthonyG

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 3450 Post(s)
Liked 420 Times in 289 Posts
My two bobs worth is that 165mm cranks are already the longest that I would recommend for you based on your inseam and that going longer is going to loose you more than you could possibly gain for a bit of bling.

Longer cranks will be harder to spin at high cadences and longer cranks will make getting into an aerodynamic tuck more difficult. If you are going to change anything I would be selling the 170mm cranks and finding another 165mm set.

Anthony
Old 03-13-15, 05:39 AM
myth001

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks @jerry and @Anthony, for great suggestions.
I didn't get the 172.5 mm (only picked up the DA FD +RD), as my legs are true and tried on the shorter cranks.
Much appreciated.