Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

More stack better for tall riders?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-15, 08:54 AM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hi there, I am thinking about getting a new bike and want to make sure I am understanding everything correctly when looking at geometry charts. I am fairly tall (6'4) with fairly long legs (3 ft inseam). Currently I have a Felt F-series frame in size 61cm. Due to my leg length I have the saddle fairly high up which means the handlebars are quite a bit lower (already using two spacers) and on long rides I often end up with terrible neck pain.

Now I was looking at the Felt F-series carbon fiber frames and in the geometry charts they have stack listed as 607mm for the 61cm frame. On my aluminium version it is listed as 617mm. Does this mean on the carbon frames the handlebars are even lower? If that's the case I'll probably exclude them from my shortlist straightaway.

I've also had a look at all those new frames with "Endurance" geometry. Most of them seem to have a longer head tube which would put the handlebars higher up but they also tend to have shorter top tubes which I am not sure I would want. I am using a 120mm stem on my Felt and that's fine, I'd just like the bar to be a touch higher up. If I had a shorter top tube I'd need an even longer stem to get the same reach I have now.

I know in the long run I'll have to some test riding but these kind of things aren't that easy to figure out during a ride around the block, so any advice form you guys will be much appreciated!

Thanks

Lars
Old 03-01-15, 09:59 PM
bikeme

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 31 Posts
I'd email Felt and ask about the diff between the two. As for endurance having a short TT and taller head tube, that's for comfort--makes the rider more upright and thus less weight on arms and less hyper-extended neck. Same as a shorter stem and/or more spacers. Have you had a pro bike fit done? Even if on an existing bike, a good fitter can make recs for it or what to get on your new one. Getting a fit done changed my cycling life. Hope this helps.

Last edited by bikeme; 03-01-15 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-02-15, 12:24 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
So, any discussion, in person, with the Felt Bike Brand Dealer that will be selling You the bike?

I'm not tall, and I Like my handlebars about as high as My saddle Is.

Last edited by fietsbob; 03-04-15 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-04-15, 10:40 AM
Tusky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Lars,

I am 6' 3" and have a 36" inseam and wear shirts with 36/37 sleeves. I ride 60/61cm frames.

You can't ride a geometry chart. It will give you a place to start and you can compare the FELT Z to other bikes (FUGI Sportif).

You might be able to flip your current stem to raise your bars if the stem's angle is set down.

The stock stem for the 61 is 110. I use a 100 set to the horizontal and it changes my body's geometry just enough to keep the ride comfortable.
Old 03-04-15, 05:36 PM
Sito

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Votec VRC, Sensa Fermo, Principia R700, Cannondale Bad Boy Ultra, Ciöcc Singlespeed

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for your input guys, I bought my current Felt online and will probably do the same with my next bike. I live in Spain where the average male tends to be shorter then myself, so the dealers hardly ever have test bikes in my size available. But I'll keep looking for one that can offer one.
Old 03-15-15, 05:35 PM
Nicasio Jeff

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm 6'3" with 35" inseam and just got a Trek Domane 62cm and it fits and rides like a dream. It would fit someone a little taller as well. I had been riding a Spec Roubaix 61cm and the Domane has 2.3 cm more stack.
Old 03-15-15, 07:36 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 974 Post(s)
Liked 512 Times in 352 Posts
"Now I was looking at the Felt F-series carbon fiber frames and in the geometry charts they have stack listed as 607mm for the 61cm frame. On my aluminium version it is listed as 617mm. Does this mean on the carbon frames the handlebars are even lower?"

Yes, a lower stack means lower bars. It's very useful for comparing two bikes. My new bike has similar reach and 20mm more stack. So I needed fewer spacers on the new bike. Also, different stems have different angles: 0, 5, 7 degrees, etc, which also changes the vertical bar position. There's a few stem charts or stem calculators out there.

Reach is probably affected by the seat tube angle (since reach only measures horizontal distance from the bottom bracket). A steeper seat tube would shorten the bar to saddle distance. But I think most bikes have quite similar seat tube angles. And there are different amounts of setback on seatposts, which allows some flexibility there.
Old 03-18-15, 05:47 AM
Sito

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks again, yes, it seems an "Endurance" geometry sounds more and more appealing. You can always increase reach with a longer stem but there are only so many spacers you can put on a bike (not to mention it doesn't look great)...so something light a Felt Z or Canyon Endurance will definitely be on my shortlist once the next purchase awaits.
Old 03-18-15, 06:01 AM
Blue Belly

Bikes: Pinarello Montello, Merckx MX Leader, Merckx Corsa Extra, Pinarello Prologo, Tredici Magia Nera, Tredici Cross

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
A shop that deals in custom build should have a fit machine for sizing. They should also have someone who is a top fitter. I would start there. It may cost you a few $$$ but, in the end save you a lot more. Once you have fit advice in hand you can start comparing frames.
On another note. A freind of mine has about the same proportions. He's athletic & has broken a couple frames at the seat tube/bottom bracket area. Make sure, if you go the carbon fiber route, you know the strength of the frame in the weak areas. A 53cm frame has dramatically less stress on the joints than a 63cm.